Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO of the Decade

124»

Comments

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,206
    edited January 10
    Also, I don't want games that drive me through them. I don't know if TSW had that, but it seemed likely.
    It had one main story quest in each zone, but beyond that it was a "go any way you want" kinda setup. Even tried to steer away from quest hubs, which caused quite a confusion to a lot of players... the design was to follow one mission through, and when it's done take a new one, follow that one, etc.  Not running back and forth to hubs, not doing "quest laundry list". But since it wasn't the way other games worked, many didn't get it.
    (maybe the post is still here somewhere, just hard to search for old posts: back then I dissected a LazyPeon TSW review, one of his complaints was the stupidly long runs back to the hub for the next quest - apparently he didn't get the memo either :) )

Yokai's guides were popular summaries of what used to fly around in chat over and over again with every new player. On mission design he had this:

"Do not run back to the hub. Just phone in your reward right where you're standing, and then start looking around the current area carefully. In most cases, you should find some other "mission starter" of some sort very nearby. Usually within 50m of where you ended the mission you just finished. Take THAT quest and follow it to the end.

Now keep rinsing and repeating. Eventually you'll end up near that first "hub" again, and since it's nearby, that's the logical place to pick up the next mission.

LET the quests give you a tour of the zone. Your tour will be different from other player's because you're making different choices.

If you find yourself running back to a hub to grab the next quest from that hub, you're doing it wrong. "

(but you also could ignore the missions altogether and just grind your way up. Viable, just much slower, since it was a story-focused game)
  • MastaccolliMastaccolli Member UncommonPosts: 100
    All of this talk that 2020 is not the start of a new decade gave me a good laugh.  By the logic of some VERY misinformed people 1980 is part of the '70's because their decade starts a year too late!

LOL

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,353
    Got to be pokemon go.  It is the most social mmorpg ever.  You actually meet and talk with real people.  
    SovrathMikeha
  • kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,944
    Another vote for FFXIV

• RobokappRobokapp Member RarePosts: 6,208
    All of this talk that 2020 is not the start of a new decade gave me a good laugh.  By the logic of some VERY misinformed people 1980 is part of the '70's because their decade starts a year too late!

LOL

what year came before year 1?

• Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,099
    Robokapp said:

LOL

Or some may consider 1-9 to be a short decade?
    xD_Gaming
  • phoenixfire2phoenixfire2 Member UncommonPosts: 150
    Of the decade?  That'd be WoW.  Of the year I'd give it to FFXIV.
    xD_Gaming
  • RobokappRobokapp Member RarePosts: 6,208
    Robokapp said:

LOL

this is up there with some consider the earth flat...a short decade is the equivalent of a short meter. not a thing. 
    MendelxD_GamingQuizzical

• xD_GamingxD_Gaming Member EpicPosts: 2,664
    Po_gg said:
    Prime, looks like MOP took your idea (and your views about the decade and its closure date), and made a piece on it:

What I've found interesting in it was the numerous TSW mentions - as opposed to here, where I was the only one. Maybe I should read more MOP, it seems on that side there are more like-minded peeps :) 

ed: also interesting how most comments/debates under it are about the games, while here half of them was the arm-wrestling around the calendar... different mindsets, I guess.
    (Personally I'm on the Jan. 1st, 2021 camp, but it doesn't hold me back to nominate MMORPGs "of the decade" - not that one year would do much difference anyway, no MMORPGs were launched in years...)
     I played TSW for a bit, but didn't really grab me. 
    There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
    Twitter : @xD_Gaming_Merch
    xD Merch : https://bit.ly/2v13MT8
    "Dragons are tilly folly !"
  • xD_GamingxD_Gaming Member EpicPosts: 2,664
    Robokapp said:

LOL

Sovrath
    There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
    Twitter : @xD_Gaming_Merch
    xD Merch : https://bit.ly/2v13MT8
    "Dragons are tilly folly !"
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,092
    Robokapp said:
    Robokapp said:

LOL

this is up there with some consider the earth flat...a short decade is the equivalent of a short meter. not a thing. 
    The whole flat earth bit is a modern invention.  Plenty of civilizations knew in ancient times that the earth was round, and we don't have any compelling evidence that there were any that pondered the global topology of the planet and then concluded that it was flat.

The issue of the earth being round is sometimes confused with that of the earth revolving about the sun rather than the other way around.  The latter is much, much harder to prove, and wasn't conclusively settled until a little before 1700 AD.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,092
    Robokapp said:

LOL

Real sysadmins know that the beginning of time was January 1, 1970.  </sarcasm>
    MendelVermillion_RaventhalxD_Gaming
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,603
    Quizzical said:
    Robokapp said:
    Robokapp said:

LOL

The whole flat earth bit is a modern invention.  Plenty of civilizations knew in ancient times that the earth was round, and we don't have any compelling evidence that there were any that pondered the global topology of the planet and then concluded that it was flat.

The issue of the earth being round is sometimes confused with that of the earth revolving about the sun rather than the other way around.  The latter is much, much harder to prove, and wasn't conclusively settled until a little before 1700 AD.

That's not true. Sure, at some point different civilizations discovered it was "round" but there is plenty of evidence that different civilizations thought it was flat.
    xD_Gaming
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 1,904
    By the amount of BDO ads on this website you'd think BDO is the MMORPG of the century.
    xD_Gaming
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,099
    Robokapp said:
    Robokapp said:

LOL

I think your ancestors just weren't invited to the 0 year.
    xD_Gaming