Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO of the Decade

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 5,938
    Guild Wars 2 is my MMO of the decade.

It hasn't been a good decade.
    xD_GamingBaemir
  • MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,903
    Kyleran said:
    I'm going with the usual, "None of the above."

I just can't see voting for a "sucked less than everything else" or "best of the worst option."

Hasn't been a good MMORPG created since 2004.

:D 
    Good old, Kyleran, consistent as always.  I think he used "None of the above" for last decades list, too.

Let me be the first to say - wait til next decade!

Mikeha

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Quizzical said:
    I'm in favor of waiting another year to decide on the MMO of the decade, as there's another full year and change to come.  Unless "decade" is just an arbitrary collection of ten consecutive years, so that 2013-2022 is a perfectly good "decade".
    0 - 9 is a decade.  2020 is the beginning of the second decade of the millennium. 

Incorrect.  A decade is 10 years.  Three things that should give a indication of when a decade starts and ends.

First, the next day after Dec 31, 1 BC was and is Jan 1, 1 AD.  (of course the locals at that time were using other calendars).  The Julian and later Gregorian calendars all contained this lack of "year 0", as hardly anyone used dates that old.  It wasn't until geologists, historians, and archaeologists began to question Bishop Usher's calculated age of the earth did BC (and later, BCE) dating have much regular use.

Second, ask any kid to count his fingers.  They will count 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10, not 0,1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9.  We've been a 1-relative counting system for a very, very long time, and 0-relative is more associated with some specific math and computer issues.

Third, the Roman numeral system does not have a symbol for "0".  The Romans were very careful about keeping things even, numerically.  The First decade in the Julian calendar started in year I, and ended in year X.

So, a decade begins with a year ending with the digit "1" and ends in a year ending with the digit "0".

Mikeha

• xD_GamingxD_Gaming Member EpicPosts: 2,672
    BDO for me as well... even though Kano is right about the awfulness of the cash shop and the bullshit rng systems that exist solely to push you to it.

My MMO of the decade otherwise would have been SWTOR, but the new content couldn't hold a candle to the original class stories. And yes, the world design was pretty crap as someone mentioned already.
    I've yet used the cash shop. Then again it has taken me very long time to get TET Khza and TET dande, working a TET Kutum this week.

As far as game changes, it is way way way easier now with the introcuction of the weekly solo field bosses that drop boxes that have boss gear, rings ,ect as well as crons. Each boss gives yo some mem frags too which add up quickly with about 12 bosses a week.
    There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
    Twitter : @xD_Gaming_Merch
    xD Merch : https://bit.ly/2v13MT8
    "Dragons are tilly folly !"
  • boris20boris20 Member UncommonPosts: 391
    Fallout 76 hands down. 
    xD_Gaming
  • RhoDawgRhoDawg Member UncommonPosts: 29
    learis1 said:
    ...I'm so confused. Is 2020 still part of the last decade or is it officially the start of the next decade.
    Both: There are actually two common types of decades Ordinal and Cardinal
    Ordinal Decades: 2011-2020 (202nd Decade), 2021-2030 (203rd decade) 
    Cardinal Decades: 10-19 (10s), 20-29 (20's) etc

So 2020 is the last year in an Ordinal 202nd Decad but the first year of the Cardinal Decade called the 20's.  e.g. typically we call 80-89 or 90-99 the eighties and 90s. 

So neither group here is wrong, they probably just dont understand there are different types

learis1xD_Gamingbigmilk
  • GladDogGladDog Member RarePosts: 1,065
    I played BDO and enjoyed it for quite a while, but was very put off because 1 - in order to look different from anyone else, you have to pay money.  The amount they are charging is slightly less than two months at a sub game.  That is for one outfit for one character.  That alone was bad, but then to find that the only thing to do for endgame is PvP, well, that was the straw that broke the camel's back.  Even if they fixed some of that stuff, they annoyed me enough that it would take something very compelling to try it again.  BTW, I like PvP, but not if its the only thing there is to do.  I'll give Crimson Desert a try, since it is a PvE focused game, with PvP if you want to.  That fits me to a tee.  Well, as long as they don't charge $29 for a skin.

My pick for MMORPG of the decade is Elder Scrolls Online.  Great graphics, good team tools, really fun PvP, and intelligent character progression.  I would still be playing it except;  3 years is enough, and my old guild broke up, the double whammy.

The world is going to the dogs, which is just how I planned it!

• MardukkMardukk Member RarePosts: 2,221
    edited January 6
    I had the most fun with Darkfall UW.  So either that or GW2.  BDO was quite innovative with life skills or whatever they were called, but the  PvE and gear/loot system were terrible.

I'm going through ESO now, but it is definitely not game of the decade.  Too much of a typical quest grinder.
    Post edited by Mardukk on
    Baemir
  • Vermillion_RaventhalVermillion_Raventhal Member EpicPosts: 4,099
    ESO. No contest.
    Wish I could get into ESO.  I have tried multiple times. The combat just puts me off for some reason.  
    xD_GamingBaemir
  • olepiolepi Member RarePosts: 1,437
    I would say either FF14, for their great reboot, or else ESO.
    GladDogxD_Gaming

------------
    2020: 43 years on the Net.

RhoDawg said:
    learis1 said:
    ...I'm so confused. Is 2020 still part of the last decade or is it officially the start of the next decade.
    Both: There are actually two common types of decades Ordinal and Cardinal
    Ordinal Decades: 2011-2020 (202nd Decade), 2021-2030 (203rd decade) 
    Cardinal Decades: 10-19 (10s), 20-29 (20's) etc

So 2020 is the last year in an Ordinal 202nd Decad but the first year of the Cardinal Decade called the 20's.  e.g. typically we call 80-89 or 90-99 the eighties and 90s. 

So neither group here is wrong, they probably just dont understand there are different types

Actually, this is very wrong.  Cardinal numbers are 1,2,3,4,5, etc.  Ordinal numbers are 1st, 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th, etc.  Neither define the start of a decade, century or millennium.  If you are saying that the 200th decade started on Jan 1, 2000, and decade number 200 started on Jan 1, 2001, that's just wrong.  Decade number 1 (cardinal numbering) and the 1st decade (ordinal numbering) both start on Jan 1, 1 AD.  For this interpretation of cardinal and ordinal numbered decades to be accurate, when did these dates/numbers diverge?  Answer, they didn't.

Surprisingly, this is still a fairly frequent error in historical dating, and pops up from time to time in academic works, particularly in research dealing with BC dates.  So even professors and scholars make this mistake.  It is perpetuated by wikipedia all the time.

Ungood

GladDog said:
    I played BDO and enjoyed it for quite a while, but was very put off because 1 - in order to look different from anyone else, you have to pay money.  The amount they are charging is slightly less than two months at a sub game.  That is for one outfit for one character.  That alone was bad, but then to find that the only thing to do for endgame is PvP, well, that was the straw that broke the camel's back.  Even if they fixed some of that stuff, they annoyed me enough that it would take something very compelling to try it again.  BTW, I like PvP, but not if its the only thing there is to do.  I'll give Crimson Desert a try, since it is a PvE focused game, with PvP if you want to.  That fits me to a tee.  Well, as long as they don't charge $29 for a skin.

My pick for MMORPG of the decade is Elder Scrolls Online.  Great graphics, good team tools, really fun PvP, and intelligent character progression.  I would still be playing it except;  3 years is enough, and my old guild broke up, the double whammy.
    You can buy any costume from the marketplace if someone posts it. They also gave away a free costume during the Christmas even along woth a dog and two butlers.. End game is PENs and Silver. If you don't have PENs and at lvl 63-64 you've not even begun the end game :) 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,671
    learis1 said:

I would say 2020-2029 is the next decade....It's in the 20s....2000 was part of 2000-09 not 1991-2000
    NorseGodxD_Gaming
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,634
    Xodic said:
    The 21st century started in 2001...
    Y2K confused the hell out of me too.

@Quizzical is correct. There's no such thing as 0AD. The year of a date doesn't represent how many years have passed.
    Ever heard of Circa?
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,825
    GladDog said:

I'm honestly not sure how PvE Crimson Desert will be.
    It'll have a strong, single player story campaign apparently... but they've already spoken about having PvP siege content and such. No word on Dungeons are anything else that a real PvE game needs.

So once the story content is finished, it may very well be BDO 2.0 when it comes to endgame content. And the cash shop is practically guaranteed to be just as P2W. But we'll see when the time comes.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• TeakStrangiatoTeakStrangiato Member UncommonPosts: 34
    Its pretty clearly FFXIV.  Recovered from a bad launch and is now enjoying probably the second biggest sustained run the genre has seen.  Its the first MMORPG since WoW to a sustain a healthy population for more than a year or two.

ESO has a similar story as well, and would be an easy 2nd.  I feel GW2 has tailed off recently but it would be 3rd for sure.  BDO a distant 4th.  I wouldn't consider a game that had its peak in the last decade to be worth mentioning here.

I could see why any of them would be a personal MMORPG of the decade for someone.  It hasn't been this horrible decade that people like to pretend its been.
    xD_Gaming
  • TweFojuTweFoju Member UncommonPosts: 1,220
    My MMO of the decade.. tough... i haven't really enjoyed MMO since WOTLK ( played it non stop every day until Catac came out).. and it was more than a decade ago.. so that's out of the question.

I think it would have to be FFXIV
    xD_Gaming

So What Now?

• fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 274
    edited January 7
    BDO. Despite its faults, it shows how badly Western MMOs are lagging behind when it comes to graphics and innovation.

FFXIV is up there and an honorable mention to ESO who at least tried to do their own thing in the way the game and mechanics are designed, even if it wasn't completely polished and was buggy.
    xD_GamingAzaron_Nightblade
  • SytheeverbladeSytheeverblade Member UncommonPosts: 10
    'Best' can mean a lot of things, but I like the innovative route moving the industry forward.  Gw2 (weapon skills), Trove/Everquest landmark (Voxels), Archeage (trade system among other things) and BDO (amity system, combat) are the games that come to mind when I think about innovations this decade.  Of those I've mentioned BDO is probably the most popular currently so that would have my vote, not to mention it has done well to push graphics forward.
    xD_Gaming
    Seems pretty close with FFXIV and Black Desert. 
  • laseritlaserit Member LegendaryPosts: 6,302
    MMORPG of the decade?

I'd have to say that personally for me it is none. This last decades direction has turned me away from MMO's. Hopefully this new decade brings me back.
    xD_Gaming

"Be water my friend" - Bruce Lee

• sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    It's a sad state for the genre if BDO is the best you have to offer.

..Cake..

• HefaistosHefaistos Member UncommonPosts: 346
    2019 was the year of Eve Online and WoW. I have to say wow is the best non p2w game on the market.
    xD_GamingBaemir
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,210
    edited January 10
    Prime, looks like MOP took your idea (and your views about the decade and its closure date), and made a piece on it:

What I've found interesting in it was the numerous TSW mentions - as opposed to here, where I was the only one. Maybe I should read more MOP, it seems on that side there are more like-minded peeps :) 

ed: also interesting how most comments/debates under it are about the games, while here half of them was the arm-wrestling around the calendar... different mindsets, I guess.
    (Personally I'm on the Jan. 1st, 2021 camp, but it doesn't hold me back to nominate MMORPGs "of the decade" - not that one year would do much difference anyway, no MMORPGs were launched in years...)
    BaemirAzaron_NightbladexD_Gaming
  • AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 4,190
    Po_gg said:
    Prime, looks like MOP took your idea (and your views about the decade and its closure date), and made a piece on it:

What I've found interesting in it was the numerous TSW mentions - as opposed to here, where I was the only one. Maybe I should read more MOP, it seems on that side there are more like-minded peeps :) 

ed: also interesting how most comments/debates under it are about the games, while here half of them was the arm-wrestling around the calendar... different mindsets, I guess.
    (Personally I'm on the Jan. 1st, 2021 camp, but it doesn't hold me back to nominate MMORPGs "of the decade" - not that one year would do much difference anyway, no MMORPGs were launched in years...)
    I don't know much about TSW. It didn't have the "one big world" thing that I want, so I didn't pay much attention to it. What I did know from the early parts did seem pretty good to me. 
    Also, I don't want games that drive me through them. I don't know if TSW had that, but it seemed likely. 
    That's not to knock it, that's up to each gamer. It did seem like a fresh look at MMORPGs. 
    xD_Gaming

Once upon a time....