Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

MMO of the Decade

Comments

• superhealysorcersuperhealysorcer Member UncommonPosts: 9
    I would have to lean towards Guild Wars 2. Even though I don't play it anymore I think it had some of the best mechanics. Especially the quest mechanics where anyone can join a quest just by walking into an area. I still haven't tried BDO. Is it still as grindy as everyone says it is? As i get older I tend to steer clear of games where I have to grind hordes of mobs. 
    xD_Gaming
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,098
    Quizzical said:
    NorseGod said:
    Quizzical said:
    NorseGod said:
    Quizzical said:
    I'm in favor of waiting another year to decide on the MMO of the decade, as there's another full year and change to come.  Unless "decade" is just an arbitrary collection of ten consecutive years, so that 2013-2022 is a perfectly good "decade".
    Another year won't save this dumpster fire. Nothing is even coming out for years.

Calling a standard unit of measurement "arbitrary" was edgy though.
    If 2010-2019 is a decade, then is 1 BC through 9 AD also a decade?
    0-9.

Let's do centuries now. The 20th century started in what year?
    There was no year 0.

The 20th century AD started in 1901.  If you don't want to restrict to AD, then we don't know when the first century was.
    a century is from  0 - 21 , it is accumulation of 100 years. 

the 20th Century started on 1900, s you add 100years to 1900  you come to 2000 the millennia which is the 21st century. 

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Century

You should realize that your link agrees with what I just said and contradicts what you said.
    cameltosis
  • AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 2,659
    FFXIV maybe or something stupid like Monster Hunter:World. 

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• xD_GamingxD_Gaming Member EpicPosts: 2,672
    edited January 1
    Quizzical said:
    NorseGod said:
    Quizzical said:
    NorseGod said:
    Quizzical said:
    I'm in favor of waiting another year to decide on the MMO of the decade, as there's another full year and change to come.  Unless "decade" is just an arbitrary collection of ten consecutive years, so that 2013-2022 is a perfectly good "decade".
    Another year won't save this dumpster fire. Nothing is even coming out for years.

0-9.

There was no year 0.

The 20th century AD started in 1901.  If you don't want to restrict to AD, then we don't know when the first century was.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Year_zero

"

Astronomers[edit]

In astronomy, for the year AD 1 and later it is common to assign the same numbers as the Anno Domini notation, which in turn is numerically equivalent to the Common Era notation. But the discontinuity between 1 AD and 1 BC makes it cumbersome to compare ancient and modern dates. So the year before 1 AD is designated 0, the year before 0 is −1, and so on.

"

There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
    Twitter : @xD_Gaming_Merch
    xD Merch : https://bit.ly/2v13MT8
    "Dragons are tilly folly !"
    Quizzical said:
    Quizzical said:
    NorseGod said:
    Quizzical said:
    NorseGod said:
    Quizzical said:

0-9.

There was no year 0.

the 20th Century started on 1900, s you add 100years to 1900  you come to 2000 the millennia which is the 21st century. 

You should realize that your link agrees with what I just said and contradicts what you said.
    1st century is from  0-99.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1st_century
    edited January 1
    Xodic said:
    The 21st century started in 2001...
    Y2K confused the hell out of me too.

@Quizzical is correct. There's no such thing as 0AD. The year of a date doesn't represent how many years have passed.
    no and no. What you are agree with Quizzical is that the 1 century started at 100AD . 

I'm laughing so hard i might die lol

Post edited by xD_Gaming on
  • MargaretavilleMargaretaville Member UncommonPosts: 57
    My vote is for Everquest Next summarizing the MMO decade.

It's still listed on the front page of this site's forums, as if holding up a glimmering ray of hope for a better gaming future in a "cup half full" futile gesture.
    xD_Gaming
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,671
    Let's face it, it has been a lousy ten years for MMoRPGs......GW2, ESO, FFXIV, BDO, and such look pretty but the gameplay is pretty much crap in all of them.
    xD_GamingBaemir
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 22,098
    Quizzical said:
    Quizzical said:
    NorseGod said:
    Quizzical said:
    NorseGod said:
    Quizzical said:

0-9.

There was no year 0.

You should try reading your own links sometimes.  The very first sentence of that article says:

"The 1st century was the century AD 1 to AD 100 according to the Julian calendar."
    Quizzical said:
    Quizzical said:
    Quizzical said:
    NorseGod said:
    Quizzical said:
    NorseGod said:
    Quizzical said:

0-9.

There was no year 0.

You should try reading your own links sometimes.  The very first sentence of that article says:

"The 1st century was the century AD 1 to AD 100 according to the Julian calendar."
    You officially block for trolling, I will not be communicating with you in 2020. 
    I have given sources and links that clearly show year zero - year 99 is the 1st century. 

• XodicXodic Member EpicPosts: 1,138
    edited January 1
    Xodic said:
    The 21st century started in 2001...
    Y2K confused the hell out of me too.

@Quizzical is correct. There's no such thing as 0AD. The year of a date doesn't represent how many years have passed.
    no and no. What you are agree with Quizzical is that the 1 century started at 100AD . 

I'm laughing so hard i might die lol

?

Let me see if I can write this in crayon.

Romans didn't have a number for null. Numbers on the Julian calendar represent the progression of one date to another, not the amount of time that has passed. This is why there are no nulls in a month. There's no January 0.

Using days of a month as an example, the Julian calendar represents the day we're currently completing. January 1st doesn't mean that we have already completed an entire day for January. It means that we are currently in progress of completing the first day of January. The same applies to decades, and centuries. January 1, 2020 doesn't mean that 2020 years have passed. It means that we are in the progress of the 2020th year. Therefore, midnight on January 1st, 2021 will be the beginning of a new decade.

Let me dumb it down a little more. 

You're level 1. This does not mean that you have already completed a level. It means you're currently in progress of filling up your EXP bar to reach the 2nd level.

Level 1 …. Level 2 = 1 level
    Level 2 …. Level 3 = 2 levels
    Level 3 …. Level 4 = 3 levels
    Level 4 …. Level 5 = 4 levels
    Level 5 …. Level 6 = 5 levels
    Level 6 …. Level 7 = 6 levels
    Level 7 …. Level 8 = 7 levels
    Level 8 …. Level 9 = 8 levels
    Level 9 …. Level 10 = 9 levels
    Level 10 …. to midnight, January 1st, level 11 = 10 levels

If you celebrated completing 10 levels at level 10, you're wrong. You may be level 10, but you haven't yet completed it.

Do you seriously not beleive that the 15th century covered the priod from January 1st, 1401 - December 31st, 1500?
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,133
    edited January 1
    Black Desert for me also.

It is the best mmo to come along since the ones we got back in 2002-2004 with World Of Warcraft, Final Fantasy XI, Everquest 2, Eve Online, Guild Wars and Lineage 2. That period was the best of all time imo. Since then it has mostly been WoW clone after WoW clone until a a little unknown company named Pearl Abyss decided to be different and look at what it has done for them.  ;)

happy new year smiling GIF
    xD_GamingRemaliAzaron_Nightblade
    edited January 1
    I was wrong about the decades, instead of trying to educate, people are ripping me down. they are blocked .

BDO still mmo of the decade since the decade by the professors here says it stops at 20, it is officially the year of the decade. :D 

• UngoodUngood Member EpicPosts: 4,221
    Trove, to be honest.

The Voxel world set a new stage in how MMO's could be built and played.
    xD_Gaming
    Egotism is the anesthetic that dullens the pain of stupidity, this is why when I try to beat my head against the stupidity of other people, I only hurt myself.
  • coretex666coretex666 Member EpicPosts: 3,838
    None for me, unfortunately.

I am a member of a niche group that prefers whats today referred to as "oldschool MMORPGs" and afaic, this genre pretty much no longer exists. I must sound like a broken record at this point.
    xD_Gaming
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,250
    BDO is definitely the MMO of the decade.
    xD_Gaming
  • XodicXodic Member EpicPosts: 1,138
    I was wrong about the decades, instead of trying to educate, people are ripping me down. they are blocked .

BDO still mmo of the decade since the decade by the professors here says it stops at 20, it is officially the year of the decade. :D 

I apologize. I shouldn't have been so rough, but you invoked the powers of a Hillary Clinton meme in response to me simply saying that Quiz was correct. So, naturally I took that as you wanted to pick a fight.
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,526
    Arterius said:
    MMO of the decade. Would have to give it WoW. Even after all this time people are still chasing after its success and though it doesn't have the popularity it did in 2010 it is still a very popular game.

WoW is more MMO of the last decade not the current one.  It is so weird thinking of WoW as the Mr Magoo of current games.  I always thought of Everquest or Asheron's Call as that in the past.
    MikehaxD_Gaming
  • IsilithTehrothIsilithTehroth Member UncommonPosts: 566
    Darkfall online hands down. True fps combat, full loot, territory control and meaningful gameplay where strive to play to get better. Add things like spawnable/steal-able/kill-able mounts/ship asset damage. Closet to a fps mmorpg we ever got thus far.
    xD_GamingsgelBaemir

MurderHerd

• learis1learis1 Member UncommonPosts: 157
    ...I'm so confused. Is 2020 still part of the last decade or is it officially the start of the next decade.
    MikehaBaemir

Mend and Defend

• Veiled_lightVeiled_light Member UncommonPosts: 836
    I haven't liked a single one launched in the past decade.... in fact I haven't liked one released after 2004. The closest I came was SWTOR, but the world design was so bad it killed the whole game. 
    xD_GamingTheocritus
  • MyrradahMyrradah Member UncommonPosts: 98
    Tried BDO - Hated it. That was when it first came out though, maybe it has improved. Maybe it isnt a Pay to win game anymore. But could just be because ive been playing Eve since beta. Only took a 2 year break when SWG was a thing until they made it a poopy console game.
    xD_Gaming
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,315
    ESO. No contest.
    ScotxD_Gamingkertin
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,825
    BDO for me as well... even though Kano is right about the awfulness of the cash shop and the bullshit rng systems that exist solely to push you to it.

My MMO of the decade otherwise would have been SWTOR, but the new content couldn't hold a candle to the original class stories. And yes, the world design was pretty crap as someone mentioned already.
    xD_Gaming

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/