Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Settlers of Elyria Event Suspended, Team Outlines Next Steps - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited December 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageSettlers of Elyria Event Suspended, Team Outlines Next Steps - MMORPG.com

Soulbound Studios, developers of Chronicles of Elyria, have suspended Settlers of Elyria while providing the community with a plan moving forward.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TokkenTokken Member EpicPosts: 3,551
    not surprised.
    Slapshot1188[Deleted User]LeFantome

Proud MMORPG.com member since March 2004!  Make PvE GREAT Again!

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,988
    Hey look at that!  

Anyhow,  I just cannot understand how people can have the slightest bit of confidence in this team that cannot even launch the last 2 big sales without massive issues.  They have proposed one of the most complex MMORPGs ever, yet cannot launch a website sale.  Not just this time, but the last Domain Selection one was delayed for months because it was so screwed up.  

The best part is that many people are reporting that the very contents of the land areas have changed.  So the stats that were displayed for things like Survivability and NPCs etc... are different.  Is this just a display bug?  Is it a totally borked database?   

Who knows... but stay tuned because either way I am sure there is more fun to be had here.

[Deleted User]TokkenKilrane

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited December 2019
    So....if I have this right....An event to get land that does not exist for a game that does not exist, has been suspended.....did I get all of that right? Also, does this guy have his info right about the team's progress so far? If he does, that's pretty sad on SBS' part.
    NildenTacticalZombeh
    He has some numbers a bit off but in general, he's got the gist of it.   They also only covered a sliver of the crap that has been/gone wrong with this game.  Think of that video as a teaser to what could be a full-fledged 2 hour movie.

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• WBadgerWBadger Member RarePosts: 375
    Nyctelios said:
    OG_Zorvan said:

Nyctelios said:

OG_Zorvan said:

Nyctelios said:

Ok. Stop. Just stop, it's not even funny anymore.

Yes, it is.

Well, I think it's great someone is having some sort of fun with this. I just want it to be over, to be honest. "Its already dead" meme intensifies

I can't help it. I love watching dumpster fires even more than train wrecks.
    Oh, no. I didn't meant that I wish people mocking it would be over. I wish the project itself would end already. How anyone still supports it questions our human society and mental evolution as a whole.
    But if the project ends then they put the dumpster fire out...where's the fun in that for the spectators?
    [Deleted User]
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    This game and a couple others are really pushing the limit of what is a legit game in development vs a scam. One of the three I will not name will probably be the first to be investigated by the govt just wait for it. These guys along with the other two should quit while they're ahead but instead will drag the entire crowdfunded mmo thing down into the mud and probably lead the way for more govt intervention in games cause once they get a foot into the door they're inside.
    Gdemami
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    edited December 2019
    As is often the case, little effort is put into stories like this, so info reported by AshKain like this isn't brought to proper light. 

Update: 12/22/2019 2:30pm PST

"My fellow Elyrians,

Kain here. I’ll be candid with you all: we implemented a feature poorly and it caused us a lot of head and heart ache. We have identified the what, and the why, but there is an underlying problem with our implementation that needs to be fixed. For the time being we’ve had to disable the DSS Portal entirely. It will remain offline until we can ensure it is stable, at which point we’ll bring it back up, probably tomorrow.

The Settlers of Elyria event will be postponed until we address the underlying issue that caused all of this"

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/34463/regarding-the-settlers-of-elyria-event-delay

When they can't deliver on a simple sale event why anyone continues to believe they are capable of pulling off the completion of this proposed game baffles me.

Oh wait, almost forgot, when they brought the DSS portal back up backers reported the NPC professions lists were all incorrect, so yet another snafu in the saga which is COE. (Not the only new bug btw)

https://chroniclesofelyria.com/forum/topic/34492/change-in-profession-lists-of-settlements

One step forward, three steps back it would seem.

GdemamiScot[Deleted User][Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    I do worry about people who have put money into this, it could destroy your faith in MMORPGs as a genre.
    GdemamiAeander[Deleted User]
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    Scot said:
    I do worry about people who have put money into this, it could destroy your faith in MMORPGs as a genre.
    ...from time to time I need a break from comments like this(and these boards) in order to restore my faith in mankind.

Go figure.
    AeanderKyleranrpmcmurphybcbullyNilden[Deleted User]SpottyGekko
  • RidrithRidrith Member RarePosts: 808
    There's just not really anything you can say anymore at this point. I feel sorry for the poor saps who backed this game. What a colossal waste of money. Shame on the company though. Caspian just seems like a completely inept business owner.
    [Deleted User]
    I like to complain about games.
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Gdemami said:
    Scot said:
    ...from time to time I need a break from comments like this(and these boards) in order to restore my faith in mankind.

Go figure.
    And yet you are still here contributing with absolutely nothing.
    Why don’t you share your pearls of wisdom sometimes, instead of just dishing out your pointless and predictable vitriolic remarks?

Go figure.
    Slapshot1188Kyleran[Deleted User]
    Gdemami said:
    Scot said:

Go figure.
    Enjoy the break.  Sometimes it's for the best.

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,839
    Think about the absurdity of this game. It can't even rip you off properly.

Gdemami said:
    Scot said:

Go figure.
    Please do. And make it a permanent break while you're at it.
    Slapshot1188Nilden[Deleted User]SpottyGekko
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Gdemami said:
    Scot said:

Go figure.
    Have you still not gone on that all expenses paid two week holiday from Soulbound? It will do you the world of good. :)
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I propose a rename to Chronicles of Fail.
    LeFantome[Deleted User][Deleted User]

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    Amathe said:
    I propose a rename to Chronicles of Fail.
    Or perhaps Failyria?
    AmatheLeFantome[Deleted User]TacticalZombeh[Deleted User]SpottyGekko

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• fearufearu Member UncommonPosts: 288
    tldr?
    fearu said:
    tldr?
    RUN
    Scot[Deleted User]TEKK3Ntweedledumb99TacticalZombeh[Deleted User]

• PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 4,011
    edited December 2019

WBadger said:

But if the project ends then they put the dumpster fire out...where's the fun in that for the spectators?

There's almost always one or two going. Stay warm.

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    CoE, Craps on Everything. These people can’t do a single thing right, let alone make an actual game....

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Slapshot1188Kyleran[Deleted User]Galadourn
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• slowz2secretslowz2secret Member RarePosts: 407
    scam.
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    2020, no more crowdfunding, KS, pay-to-test alpha's or never ending development games. Go gold or go home!

I own thousands of completed/worthy games that I need to invest time in already.

Gut Out!
    MendelSlapshot1188[Deleted User]

What, me worry?

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    from.... needing $900k to $9 million and then to infinity and beyond!
    PhaserlightKyleran[Deleted User][Deleted User]SpottyGekko
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    edited December 2019
    Scot said:
    Gdemami said:
    Scot said:

Go figure.
    Have you still not gone on that all expenses paid two week holiday from Soulbound? It will do you the world of good. :)
    No, it’s not that.

His point is that we are all armchair would be developers who have no clue.

Technically is true that we are mostly armchair critics, as most of us do not have hands on first experience in making a game, but that doesn’t mean we don’t have the skills to understand the gaming industry.

Some of us are network engineers, software developers, company managers, marketing people, or might have skills that help understand some aspects of game development and marketing even if we never worked for a game developer.
    Plus we are avid gamers with many years of experience since most of us is well beyond our teenage year (and some of us even worked in the gaming industry).

He would just comment on any criticism of any game, he is not that fussy.
    Never heard him having an opinion either negative or positive on any game.
    That’s not what rock his boat.

Anyway, Happy Xmas...even to Mr No.
    TacticalZombeh[Deleted User]
  • jahlonjahlon Member UncommonPosts: 388

Hey look at that!  

Anyhow,  I just cannot understand how people can have the slightest bit of confidence in this team that cannot even launch the last 2 big sales without massive issues.  They have proposed one of the most complex MMORPGs ever, yet cannot launch a website sale.  Not just this time, but the last Domain Selection one was delayed for months because it was so screwed up.  

The best part is that many people are reporting that the very contents of the land areas have changed.  So the stats that were displayed for things like Survivability and NPCs etc... are different.  Is this just a display bug?  Is it a totally borked database?   

Who knows... but stay tuned because either way I am sure there is more fun to be had here.

When you can't run your store properly, well...

[Deleted User]