Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Squadron 42: 2019 Visual Teaser

MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
edited December 2019 in Star Citizen

SQ42 just made an appearance with a visual teaser of some of the work done this year on the title
ErillionSlyLoK[Deleted User]

Comments

• GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    Attention to detail is off the charts.  Your going to need a beast of a PC to play this.
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    So many new things and locations ... looking forward to SQ42.

Have fun
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited December 2019
    Erillion said:
    So many new things and locations ... looking forward to SQ42.

Have fun
    Some interesting location stuff, more and more use the cloud tech providing really visually stunning locations.

The Glaive rework as well gg

Erillion
  • ArglebargleArglebargle Member EpicPosts: 3,396
    edited December 2019
    Attention to detail is off the charts.  Your going to need a beast of a PC to play this.
    To their credit, CIG has always said they intended to push the limits of PC equipment.  Never any question that they were going to shoot for the bleeding edge.   
    GroqstrongKyleran

If you are holding out for the perfect game, the only game you play will be the waiting one.

• KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    Looks pretty but was never any doubt that they would make it pretty. The question is will it be fun to play and will they lie about how complete the game is/scrap it and start over like they did in the past?
    I find it fascinating that right when more news about Squadron 42 comes out in the form of this trailer, others try to bury it with rehashed talk about "Legatus" packs, that maybe 0.00001% of the backers buy.

Which are often the same people that kept asking "What about Squadron 42 ? No news about SQ42? Something must be fishy ?!1!?1?!"

What are these huge structures in space?  Will there be hand-to-hand combat against these Vanduul pike weapons? Can i board a Vanduul vessel (it looks like)? Is my ship damaged by these cloud lightning? Can i capture and fly these Vanduul ships or is the cockpit setup too alien ? (Keep in mind, these are not the human-adapted replicas). And dozens of other questions come to mind when seeing that trailer.

Have fun
    rpmcmurphyWalkinGlenn
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    Same crap different day. All fluff, no stuff.

botrytis said:

Have you ever actually played Star Citizen ? Its often free to play, you know ...

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    botrytis said:

Have you ever actually played Star Citizen ? Its often free to play, you know ...

Have fun
    Seeing as how this is a thread about SQ42 I think botrytis comment is correct
    Gdemami
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:
    botrytis said:

Have fun
    As SC and SQ42 use the same engine ... it is not. 

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:
    botrytis said:

Have fun

Have fun
    What you just wrote makes absolutely no sense
    SlyLoK
  • Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    Does this mean a beta is soon to come?
    Octagon7711Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited December 2019
    Jamar870 said:
    Absolutely, probably in like, you know, 18 more months. 

(Indie developer standard answer #17)

;)
    Slapshot1188

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:
    botrytis said:

Have fun

Have fun
    Since what @Erillion wrote makes no sense to you let me offer a possible version of his meaning.

Based on what has been said:

SQ42 is using graphical assets developed for SC in addition to some unique SQ42 assets. (Maybe those assets will be folded into SC later.)

SQ42 is being developed on Lumberyard augmented with internal coding as is SC.

Players / testers of SC can check out how well their PC will run SC using a tool made available for this purpose. The tool is also being used to track performance gains / losses as development / changes are made. Other people can look at these results to see if a PC akin to theirs has been tested.

If, for those not involved, the tool indicates that their PC will play SC then it is reasonable to assume that their PC will also play SQ42.

Over and above that one has to consider that unlike SC Squadron 42 is a single player game. As such SQ42 should play better than SC. Also the fact that one of components embedded within Lumberyard is CryEngine (not the only "engine"!) developed for single player, not mmo games.

So - what I suggest @Erillion is saying is that if a PC runs SC there is no reason to believe it won't run SQ42. However if a PC won't run SC it still might run SQ42.

@Erillion will have to correct me if what I believe he meant by his blessedly brief comment - unlike this long form explanation.
    Erillion[Deleted User]
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    Kyleran said:
    Jamar870 said:

;)
    Mustn't let MJ's answers make us cynical - sceptical maybe - but we must remain positive for these indies. (Although some - and I am not thinking SC or CU - make it very hard indeed.)

What I found interesting though is that they didn't have the phrase: "Coming in 2020" in the trailer. I suspect, maybe wrongly, that that is deliberate.

The current schedule for SQ42 has the beta targeted for next year but they are late to plan. Now maybe they will recover - I am sure they would want to commercially - but I do feel that there is an "honesty" in not having that tiny phrase.
    gervaise1 said:
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:
    Kefo said:
    Erillion said:
    botrytis said:

Have fun

Have fun
    Since what @Erillion wrote makes no sense to you let me offer a possible version of his meaning.

Based on what has been said:

SQ42 is using graphical assets developed for SC in addition to some unique SQ42 assets. (Maybe those assets will be folded into SC later.)

SQ42 is being developed on Lumberyard augmented with internal coding as is SC.

Players / testers of SC can check out how well their PC will run SC using a tool made available for this purpose. The tool is also being used to track performance gains / losses as development / changes are made. Other people can look at these results to see if a PC akin to theirs has been tested.

If, for those not involved, the tool indicates that their PC will play SC then it is reasonable to assume that their PC will also play SQ42.

Over and above that one has to consider that unlike SC Squadron 42 is a single player game. As such SQ42 should play better than SC. Also the fact that one of components embedded within Lumberyard is CryEngine (not the only "engine"!) developed for single player, not mmo games.

So - what I suggest @Erillion is saying is that if a PC runs SC there is no reason to believe it won't run SQ42. However if a PC won't run SC it still might run SQ42.

@Erillion will have to correct me if what I believe he meant by his blessedly brief comment - unlike this long form explanation.
    Well that’s a Great Wall of text you wrote which I still read but let me break it down for you. 

SQ42 thread is created To showcase visuals of SQ42
    Botrytis makes comment saying all fluff no stuff.
    Erillion comes in and tries to deflect from the topic by saying you can play SC right now.
    I point out this is a thread about SQ42 not SC.
    Erillion doubles down by saying they use the same engine.

Thats great they use the same engine. A game that hasn’t started development yet might use lumberyard but saying it shares the same engine as another game doesn’t magically make it appear.

The whole point is they have been showing fluff for years and lying to its fan base about how complete SQ42 is. If I were a fan and they released that video I’d be a little miffed at them for trying to distract me with visuals instead of an actual game.

Gdemami

gervaise1 said:
    Kyleran said:
    Jamar870 said:

;)
    Mustn't let MJ's answers make us cynical - sceptical maybe - but we must remain positive for these indies. (Although some - and I am not thinking SC or CU - make it very hard indeed.)

What I found interesting though is that they didn't have the phrase: "Coming in 2020" in the trailer. I suspect, maybe wrongly, that that is deliberate.

The current schedule for SQ42 has the beta targeted for next year but they are late to plan. Now maybe they will recover - I am sure they would want to commercially - but I do feel that there is an "honesty" in not having that tiny phrase.
    I think they learned their lesson about putting release dates on products they have no hope of hitting and then the backlash from fans and critics alike. Or maybe they got smart and someone distracted CR so he couldn’t put a date on it
    Gdemami
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    edited December 2019
    What if... we could somehow take all this collective effort on these game foundations that is spent on new game engines and add it to the benefits of others - so they just have a ready engine to work with, instead of spending money on redoing engines all the time?

Why isnt Nvidia providing game engines that have all the necessary tools for example to make a game like SC?

How much money and time would SC/CiG save if such an option existed?

Isnt the Unreal engine good enough, for example?

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/241674-star-citizen-developer-chris-roberts-clarifies-engine-change-promises-move-amazons-lumberyard-wont-delay-game

Supposedly they were using CryEngine before, and now are using Amazon's engine.

To me the only reason why they would opt for these engines is due to royalty agreements, and how CiG benefits more in profits from release date, but comprising development time/development resources and final product to customer.

How can these engines compete with Unreal engine?

Gdemami

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    zero gameplay … cya in 2050
    IceAge
  • MinscMinsc Member UncommonPosts: 1,353
    What if... we could somehow take all this collective effort on these game foundations that is spent on new game engines and add it to the benefits of others - so they just have a ready engine to work with, instead of spending money on redoing engines all the time?

Why isnt Nvidia providing game engines that have all the necessary tools for example to make a game like SC?

https://www.extremetech.com/extreme/241674-star-citizen-developer-chris-roberts-clarifies-engine-change-promises-move-amazons-lumberyard-wont-delay-game

To me the only reason why they would opt for these engines is due to royalty agreements, and how CiG benefits more in profits from release date, but comprising development time/development resources and final product to customer.

Lumberyard IS cryengine, or at least started that way. SC originally started development on Cryengine 3.7 and Lumberyard is a fork of 3.8. when SC switched engines they had already rewritten about 80% of the the engine anyways so they mostly only needed to convert the networking part of the engine to use AWS servers instead of Google.
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254

We aren't far enough in the future for 1 engine to rule them all. The gaming industry moves fast and with it's progress comes new technologies. Previous engines sometimes need to be updated to account for the new tech. And sometimes it makes more sense to create an engine from the ground up.

The embarrassing thing about SC using CryEngine is that it was never intended for use with an MMO. And so, even after being heavily modified, it works like shit with what they originally intended to accomplish. They apparently chose fidelity over practicality. In fact, they are starting to act like getting to 100 people in one instance without extreme lag/rubber banding would be an accomplishment these days. I think some of the ships allow for almost 100 crew alone (making it obviously impossible for even 2 of these ships, fully crewed, to exist in the same instance).

The one area where I've always wondered why there isn't some library of generally accepted greatness is in human animations. Sure, there will always be some new dance/movement/whatever or some new skeletal model that needs some customization, but for the standard human physique, I would have thought that by now there would be amazing and accessible animations for everyone. Just play Outer Worlds and you will realize that this is just not true at all.
    Gdemami
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    Well they certainly made sure it was in their wheelhouse. A bunch of 2-5 second clips all spliced together to try and showcase what they can do in that movie studio they have built. What does it actually show beyond a few of the ships they have actually been able to take from jpeg to 'in game assets'?

Also if you werent told it was an SQ 42 'trailer/teaser'  how would you know? What actually identifies it as SQ 42?
    Gdemami
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    Visually it looks great.

Lets see the gameplay though.
    [Deleted User]Kefo
    rodarin said:
    Well they certainly made sure it was in their wheelhouse. A bunch of 2-5 second clips all spliced together to try and showcase what they can do in that movie studio they have built. What does it actually show beyond a few of the ships they have actually been able to take from jpeg to 'in game assets'?

Also if you werent told it was an SQ 42 'trailer/teaser'  how would you know? What actually identifies it as SQ 42?

The Vanduul might be a teeny-weeny hint  ;-)

Have fun
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    The SQ42 Gameplay was shown before in 1h mission loop:

It gives the idea of how SQ42 missions are meant to play, it's ofc as we know and can see on SC stuff like AI and so still has ways to go and that is the core of SQ42's gameplay. 
    [Deleted User]