Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Chronicles of Elyria...Who falls for this predatory crap?

Comments

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    How would you guys suggest the project be funded?
    I suggest it shouldn't be funded.

They've gotten more funding and time than they said they'd need already and the result is no game. If the result is same whether you fund the game or not, then it's better to save the money.
    KyleranGdemami

• SilverTonguedSilverTongued Member UncommonPosts: 47
    Bit premature isn’t it? 

Do most people here agree with that?
  • Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,947
    How much needs to be funded and in what timeframe?  You can't logically determine how to fund something without knowing those answers.

Also, as someone else said, that assumes you determine that this SHOULD be funded.  Certainly a point of debate.
    Gdemamitweedledumb99[Deleted User]

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

On the flip side, Vrika seems to have suggested that the funding and timeframe seems to have been enough to see a game by now. None of us know the answers to these questions but I think the difference between us is that I believe they’re still working on the game and you guys don’t. I don’t mind if people call it blind faith. I have good reason to, reasons others who say I’m deluded or a white knight disagree with.
    edited December 2019
    On the flip side, Vrika seems to have suggested that the funding and timeframe seems to have been enough to see a game by now. None of us know the answers to these questions but I think the difference between us is that I believe they’re still working on the game and you guys don’t. I don’t mind if people call it blind faith. I have good reason to, reasons others who say I’m deluded or a white knight disagree with.
    I can't speak for @Vrika but I believe he is using Caspien's timeline and budget as the baseline.  First Caspien stated he could deliver the full game with all testing and bells and whistles for around $3.5M and he could do it by Dec 2017.  He then stated 2019.   It's now 2020 and there is no game.

So again-  YOU asked the question about how to fund the game.  Setting aside the question of whether it SHOULD be funded, we cannot answer that question without knowing the timeframe and budget we need to fund.  This is basic logic.   If I ask you how much time it will take me to get to NY from my house you would need to know where I was starting from and my mode of travel.

Without stating the budget and timeframe the question is unanswerable.
    Gdemami

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

Yea and he got it wrong due to unforeseen circumstances and I’m sure you’ve been around long enough to know what problems had arose. I just feel it’s a massive leap to go from not hitting these deadlines to “there’s no game”. 

All I know is that more funding will be of great help. I don’t know how much more. Perhaps no more funding will speed things along or slow things down. We don’t know yet. But for now things are still looking good despite the setbacks. Caspian's the best man for the job. 
    Yea and he got it wrong due to unforeseen circumstances and I’m sure you’ve been around long enough to know what problems had arose. I just feel it’s a massive leap to go from not hitting these deadlines to “there’s no game”. 

All I know is that more funding will be of great help. I don’t know how much more. Perhaps no more funding will speed things along or slow things down. We don’t know yet. But for now things are still looking good despite the setbacks. Caspian's the best man for the job. 
    So your initial question is unanswerable.  If you do not tell me how much money you need and the timeline you need it in, I cannot tell you the best way to raise it. And Caspien not knowing how much money or time it would take is the root cause of most of not all of his issues.  And to this date it continues.

Do you have another question I can help answer for you related to this thread?

Gdemami

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,435
    edited December 2019

I'd challenge the assertion "things are looking good" considering recent events such as the suspension of the SOE event which has many of the natives on the COE forums expressing their displeasure.

I think however we have a separate thread here for that subject so feel free to carry on the conversation on the SOE on it if so inclined.

State of Elyria message which was due in December also missed coming out, let's hope not delayed until March as happened last year.

Oh yes, the promised Pre-Alpha access from the now infamous "year of the storm" blog?

Didn't happen, and some feel those "circumstances" causing the many delays are in part from too many resources working on the next sale rather than delivering the actual game.

Gdemami

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited December 2019
    Good question,  I'd say go with Jeromy's original plan to use the initial crowdfunding to deliver a core, playable MVP to encourage investors to fund the rest of the development.

Thing is, they have raised twice as much as JW said it would take and no published plan or dates in sight on how much more is needed.

As an old "armchair developer's" I've long felt MMORPGs are out of reach for most teams as they require large sums to complete.

Even the comparable indie efforts such as CU, ASHES,  and CF have reported budgets of $17M, $35M and $27M respectively. 

With COE proposing to have more depth and content than all of the above the $8M or so raised to date appears well short at this point.

Sometimes when the end goal isn't possible its best to cut the losses and shut it all down.

MendelGdemamiPhaserlight

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Crowdfunding to build a prototype to lure money from traditional investors?  That seems to be a backwards way to approach game development.  At some point, someone is doing work on spec.  Everything costs, both time and money.  The problem with this approach to crowdfunded development is that the customers are being asked to pay with the hopes of luring traditional investors into the fold to take over the brunt of funding.

To date, this hasn't happened.  CoE.  Pantheon.  These and others started this way, yet none of them have managed to lure investment money to replace the crowdfunding money.  The promise of investors hasn't materialized.  It tends to lead to more developers having to raise even more money in the hopes of finishing a game or getting a project to a point where investors might be interested in becoming involved.  This approach only seems to launch a perpetual cycle of fundraising, seeing more and more effort put into the next round of fundraising and less into the project.

If the developer is so certain of their abilities and the appeal of their product, why aren't they funding their projects with their own money.  Take a loan.  Build a prototype.  Market that to investors.  The problem with that is that when an investor thinks "No, it's a bad idea", the developer is left with a debt.  Too many developers are trying to become major players using crowdfunding to bypass any personal debt.  Risk-aversion product development at its best.  They seem to want to feed their own egos more than develop a game.

At some point, you have to question their motives.  I'm beyond that point.

Gdemami

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

Mendel said:
    Crowdfunding to build a prototype to lure money from traditional investors?  That seems to be a backwards way to approach game development.  At some point, someone is doing work on spec.  Everything costs, both time and money.  The problem with this approach to crowdfunded development is that the customers are being asked to pay with the hopes of luring traditional investors into the fold to take over the brunt of funding.

To date, this hasn't happened.  CoE.  Pantheon.  These and others started this way, yet none of them have managed to lure investment money to replace the crowdfunding money.  The promise of investors hasn't materialized.  It tends to lead to more developers having to raise even more money in the hopes of finishing a game or getting a project to a point where investors might be interested in becoming involved.  This approach only seems to launch a perpetual cycle of fundraising, seeing more and more effort put into the next round of fundraising and less into the project.

If the developer is so certain of their abilities and the appeal of their product, why aren't they funding their projects with their own money.  Take a loan.  Build a prototype.  Market that to investors.  The problem with that is that when an investor thinks "No, it's a bad idea", the developer is left with a debt.  Too many developers are trying to become major players using crowdfunding to bypass any personal debt.  Risk-aversion product development at its best.  They seem to want to feed their own egos more than develop a game.

Actually, CU received $8M from investors in Jan 2018, the lion's share of CFs $27M  comes from outside backers, I believe Dual Universe scored some big investor funds this year and of course there is the phenomenon known as SC...who received $45M in outside funding to go with the small fortune raised from crowdfunding.

What all of those have which both COE and Pantheon lack is a playable game environment which can easily be shown to attract more funding from both backers as well as investors.

AnOldFartsome-clueless-guytweedledumb99

Mendel said:

To be fair, we have been told that Caspien funded about 500k with his own money.  What has not been clear is whether he has taken that much money (or more...) out of the crowdfunding to pay himself and his wife.  The lack of transparency on how funds are spent is always a concern with these types of games.  All we know is that they raised roughly $8M and have nothing playable despite being 2 years past the original delivery estimate for full release of the game.  

KyleranGdemami

Kyleran said:
    Mendel said:

Actually, CU received $8M from investors in Jan 2018, the lion's share of CFs $27M  comes from outside backers, I believe Dual Universe scored some big investor funds this year and of course there is the phenomenon known as SC...who received $45M in outside funding to go with the small fortune raised from crowdfunding.

What all of those have which both COE and Pantheon lack is a playable game environment which can easily be shown to attract more funding from both backers as well as investors.

I haven't spent much energy in following CU, CF, or DU.  I was under the impression that CU and Mark Jacobs got their investors from without a bulk of crowdfunding (friends of Mythic maybe?)  Both CU and CF are predominantly PvP, so neither really interest me.  Dual Universe has been a back-room rumor for so long that I don't give it much credit anymore.  My error.

I don't think SoL started out as a crowdfunded project.  It seems to be more a passion project that has grown legs.  I don't know that the investors have removed the need for crowdfunding, though.  For all that it matters, this is my favorite way of doing business -- invest your own money in your own ideas and work from there.

Pantheon started with some crowdfunding, got some minor investors, and seemed to double down on the crowdfunding aspects.  Their funding status is pretty much unknown as far as completing the game.

But discounting SC (which may be an anomaly), it appears that crowdfunding a prototype has roughly a 50% chance of successfully attracting an investor.  That's a pretty big financial cost to divest on someone else's (fans/backers) hopes, wouldn't you say?

You're definitely right about COE and Pantheon not having anything to demonstrate, at least not in a state that is likely to attract significant investment money.  But that's sort of the prototype they wanted to build with their initial crowdfunding efforts, wasn't it?  It's definitely a valid question to ask "where did that money go" or "why isn't the prototype finished".  More time and dollars questions.

Gdemami

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    Kyleran said:
    Mendel said:

As a separate side example, Star Citizen managed to net a $45 million or so investment a while back.

......it doesn't seem to be helping much.

Your 2nd last paragraph, "If the developer is so certain of their abilities and the appeal of their product, why aren't they funding their projects with their own money." is probably the closest to the truth.  Or rather, the "developers" were arm-chair/garage/garbage developers at best, who couldn't even put together a demo that could attract anyone  (though Star Citizen did manage to trick everyone with a demo put together by someone ELSE)
    Gdemami
  • VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,882
    Kyleran said:
    Mendel said:

Crowfall had taken $2.3 million investment already before Kickstarter, Mark Jacobs put $2 million into Camelot Unchained before Kickstarter, and Dual Universe had investors already before Kickstarter.

To me it looks like that projects which received other funding before they started relying on crowdfunding are in a good position to get investments in the future, but if no-one thought the game was a good investment before crowdfunding then getting crowdfunding money and making demo isn't going to change opinions unless you get Star Citizen's size success.

Of note is that Kickstarter is now actually enforcing the rule that states the project must ask for all the money required to complete a project.   They shut down a KS a day before it was funded because the developer admitted they would need more money to complete it.

If they had applied that rule (which existed) to CoE it would never have been funded in the first place.  And of course, that would also apply to many of the other Crowdfunded MMORPGs sitting in perpetual limbo today.
    [Deleted User]KyleranAnOldFartTorrsktweedledumb99Gdemami

Of note is that Kickstarter is now actually enforcing the rule that states the project must ask for all the money required to complete a project.   They shut down a KS a day before it was funded because the developer admitted they would need more money to complete it.

If they had applied that rule (which existed) to CoE it would never have been funded in the first place.  And of course, that would also apply to many of the other Crowdfunded MMORPGs sitting in perpetual limbo today.

I'm concerned that future efforts will simply move away from Kickstarter, and do the crowdfunding themselves.  There's nothing that equates the two.  One just happens to be a proper noun because it is the name of a specific resource, the other a regular noun describing the process.

So, Kickstarter's rules don't or won't apply to all crowdfunding efforts.  KS itself may be passe, much like people migrated away from MySpace to other social media options.  They may be closing their doors, but there's so many horses already loose.

Kylerantweedledumb99Gdemami

• TorrskTorrsk Member UncommonPosts: 295

The only problem, if they say it will take X amount of money. Then as we all know, something happens and it gets blown out. It seems like anyone can loophole around this rule pretty easily.
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    EVERY single crowd funded game is exploiting dummies...goodwill whatever you want to call it.
    Intelligent people should NOT be giving free handouts to game developers,they will think of enough ways to grind money from you on their own,no worries about that.

Season passes....dlc's...cash shops,yep they will have plenty of funds coming in without your free handouts.If they cannot get their project up and going on their own,WHY would you trust them?

On their own they have risk,accountability,with your free handouts they have it easy street with no care in the world.
    BruceYee

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    The problem with that KS'r rule set is Star Citizen.SC is operating under the assumption they already have their money and this further funding is to add NEW goals.So this SC exploit is able to keep selling ships,making loads of money for as long as they wish,even under stricter guidelines.

The rule set SHOULD include "entire money to RELEASE a finished product FOR SALE with a price tag.
    We still end up with the problem that all these people give their money with some sort of expectation but the developer's end result can be anything they want because it is all icing on the cake since they never spent a dime of their own.So the dev AFTER release "following even the strictest guidelines"can put in place the most diabolic cash shop known to mankind.SO how would that be good for gaming,good for consumers?
    Just look at how much money SC is raking in on selling ships,or COE selling land for more than the cost of 10 games combined.

All i have seen from crowd funding is 100% nonsense...garbage.There will not be one single game worth it's investment.They will all end up looking like games that coudl have been built by a competent developer for 1/10th the cost.
    BruceYee

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    At what point does it move past being just a few developers fleecing some rich nerds of their cash and become fraud.
    RenGinGin

So your initial question is unanswerable.  If you do not tell me how much money you need and the timeline you need it in, I cannot tell you the best way to raise it. And Caspien not knowing how much money or time it would take is the root cause of most of not all of his issues.  And to this date it continues.

Do you have another question I can help answer for you related to this thread?

Was that really it?  I had such high hopes...
    RenGinGin

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    BruceYee said:
    At what point does it move past being just a few developers fleecing some rich nerds of their cash and become fraud.

Ask the developers of SC. I mean they have gathered more than 250 million with an alpha release and a trove of promises.
    RenGinGin

botrytis said:
    BruceYee said:

Ask the developers of SC. I mean they have gathered more than 250 million with an alpha release and a trove of promises.
    But to balance that out... SC has a ton of free to play weekends where anyone can look and see for themselves what state the game is.   While I would love to be able to get my SC money back... people who are buying in now have no excuse...

Well at least Kyleran answered my question, without attempting to spin it back on me in an effort to have my question backfire in my face. 

And it was a fair answer with the exception of the part about dates. As you guys are very well aware with your own experience, the internet brings out the whiniest in us. Places like these bring out parts about us we’d be too embarrassed to show in public. And as a result of the tireless whinging, dates were not set for 2020s alpha release. 
    RenGinGinKyleran