Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Fallout 76 - You just can't make this stuff up

2»

Comments

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    My Agility isn't that high, but I VATS'd my way around this bullet...

Gut Out!
    rojoArcueidlahnmirRobsolf

What, me worry?

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Sovrath said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Bethesda has become pure cancer.
    Gone are the days when they were my favourite Developer.

How the mighty have fallen...fallen out.
    um "one game."

If every game after 76 starts to fall in line then "sure." But they have a string of decent games and then one game makes them cancer?

More likely, someone in Bethesda is trying to figure out how to do mobile and online "games as a service" That's what your seeing. Their somewhat inept foray into these types of games.

No Developer (or person) is perfect. There are going to be bad attempts. That kind of how we learn after all.
    Fallout 76 is just latest letdown for me from Bethesda. Their jumps between Daggerfall to Morrowind, to Skyrim haved all been streamlining and ease of play for that series.

Fallout 4 was a step down from 3, for me.

They had the Linda Carter "Single Player" ad campaign video, then released 76 as their next game, a multiplayer game.

Each game they release sells mega millions more than any previous game but at the cost of the depth of the RPG elements.

I used to trust them. No longer. I did not buy Skyrim on release day. Nor Fallout 4. I wasn't going to buy either game, but did when I got curious just how bad they were. I've thousands of hours into Skyrim, but NOT because it is a good game. It is the MODS that make it great.

Lately, it is the odd studio that doesn't maximize profits. I can understand, because an eight year old game like Skyrim no longer makes Bethesda money, yet it is till being played. Bethesda's monetization choices have been right in line with many studios. That doesn't make them good or right, just normal/average.
    Gdemami

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    AlBQuirky said:
    Sovrath said:
    TEKK3N said:

um "one game."

If every game after 76 starts to fall in line then "sure." But they have a string of decent games and then one game makes them cancer?

More likely, someone in Bethesda is trying to figure out how to do mobile and online "games as a service" That's what your seeing. Their somewhat inept foray into these types of games.

No Developer (or person) is perfect. There are going to be bad attempts. That kind of how we learn after all.
    Fallout 76 is just latest letdown for me from Bethesda. Their jumps between Daggerfall to Morrowind, to Skyrim haved all been streamlining and ease of play for that series.

They had the Linda Carter "Single Player" ad campaign video, then released 76 as their next game, a multiplayer game.

Each game they release sells mega millions more than any previous game but at the cost of the depth of the RPG elements.

I used to trust them. No longer. I did not buy Skyrim on release day. Nor Fallout 4. I wasn't going to buy either game, but did when I got curious just how bad they were. I've thousands of hours into Skyrim, but NOT because it is a good game. It is the MODS that make it great.

Lately, it is the odd studio that doesn't maximize profits. I can understand, because an eight year old game like Skyrim no longer makes Bethesda money, yet it is till being played. Bethesda's monetization choices have been right in line with many studios. That doesn't make them good or right, just normal/average.
    I take every game for what it is and what it does well.

I've been playing Daggerfall and "it's ok."

Part of that could be it's age but I feel that Morrowind was a far better experience for what I like in these games. 

Still, it's not bad. 

Each game has its issues but each game also has its strengths. I played morrowind for over 2 years and still play it on and off. Played Oblvion for over 2 years but don't dip into it like I do Morrowind. I've played Skyrim for over 3 years, I'm modding it, and I still play it from time to time.

While there is more in Morrowind, the feeling of a world is a bit better in Skyrim. I prefer the combat in Skyrim over Morrowind. But Morrowind has better exploration.

I don't however, say "this game has this then that game MUST have that."

Each game brings what it brings and I play them for the positives as everything has negatives.

I have never "trusted" any developer because there is no reason to trust them. They are always companies first. They put out a product and if I like the product I buy it. If I don't then "I don't."
    AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Kyleran said:
    I regularly play FO76 despite the many follies around the game.

So two nights ago after the most recent patch my friend and I were fighting thru a horde of robots bent on stopping us from launching a nuke.

We had just gotten started when my friend said his new laser rifle broke which he fixed on the spot with an. Atom shop purchased repair kit.

Maybe 10 minutes later, his gun breaks again...so he repairs it with a kit.

Another 10 minutes...he says "for crying out loud,  my gun broke again" so one more repair kit.

The breakage was excessive, while weapons will wear down, rare is the day we break one in the field, much less 3 times in under an hour.

Next day I find an article in Kotaku saying player are reporting excessive weapon and armor breakage all over ...

https://kotaku.com/new-fallout-76-bugs-are-making-armor-weak-and-weapons-b-1840369804

OK, no surprise,  its Bethesada right, in the article says they were unaware and were looking into it.

Guess what went on a big sale in the Atom shop on the same day as the gear breaking patch?

You guessed it, repair kits, 40 for 1000 atoms, such a deal,.... surely just a coincidence right?

I mean,  surely Bethesda would never decrease the weapon and armor durability the same day as a repair kit sale, yes?

I really am not making any of this up.

:# 

at this time you really can't blame anyone else if not you for still be on this game, and next time get more then one weapon
    Kyleran
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    TEKK3N said:
    Sovrath said:
    TEKK3N said:

um "one game."

I follow Bethesda since Daggerfall, they did fine up until Fallout 4.

Basically it all started when they started selling FO 4 DLCs made from player made MODs, for then trying to monetize all MODs.

There was already an emerging pattern there that FO 76 pretty much confirmed.

They are chasing the Dollars way too hard for my liking.

Starfield and TES 6 will be made with the same 20 years old engine.
    Wanna bet those game will have the same bugs of Skyrim and FO 4?

fine till fallout 4.... delusional or never played they games without a mod
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    The Far Harbor and Nuka World DLCs were good. The survival mode made the combat system good.
  • some-clueless-guysome-clueless-guy Member UncommonPosts: 227
    Kyleran said:

So two nights ago after the most recent patch my friend and I were fighting thru a horde of robots bent on stopping us from launching a nuke.

We had just gotten started when my friend said his new laser rifle broke which he fixed on the spot with an. Atom shop purchased repair kit.

Another 10 minutes...he says "for crying out loud,  my gun broke again" so one more repair kit.

The breakage was excessive, while weapons will wear down, rare is the day we break one in the field, much less 3 times in under an hour.

Next day I find an article in Kotaku saying player are reporting excessive weapon and armor breakage all over ...

https://kotaku.com/new-fallout-76-bugs-are-making-armor-weak-and-weapons-b-1840369804

OK, no surprise,  its Bethesada right, in the article says they were unaware and were looking into it.

Guess what went on a big sale in the Atom shop on the same day as the gear breaking patch?

You guessed it, repair kits, 40 for 1000 atoms, such a deal,.... surely just a coincidence right?

I mean,  surely Bethesda would never decrease the weapon and armor durability the same day as a repair kit sale, yes?

Why are you playing that game? Wasn't it abvious already what kind of scumbaggery they are willing to resort to? For me when I saw that 76 was just the same assets from their previous games I broke ties with that company, they ain't getting one cent from me any more.

There is some dealing going on in the background (sorry for the lack of link but maybe someone remembers this from the top of their head) and they are looking to either get bought entirely or sell a good chunk of their shares. What they seem to be doing these past months is just trying to inflate their earnings as much as possible to look as tasty as possible.
    [Deleted User]Gdemami
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,015
    Kyleran said:

Why are you playing that game? Wasn't it abvious already what kind of scumbaggery they are willing to resort to? For me when I saw that 76 was just the same assets from their previous games I broke ties with that company, they ain't getting one cent from me any more.

There is some dealing going on in the background (sorry for the lack of link but maybe someone remembers this from the top of their head) and they are looking to either get bought entirely or sell a good chunk of their shares. What they seem to be doing these past months is just trying to inflate their earnings as much as possible to look as tasty as possible.
    erm, I don't think they are looking to be bought. In any case, can't find anything to that point other than some guy on reddit who suggested that the players do a go fund me page and buy Bethesda.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I tend to avoid MMOs that have item breakage.....I don't think I have ever seen it where it was a good thing.
    AlBQuirky
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,509
    TEKK3N said:
    Sovrath said:
    TEKK3N said:

um "one game."

Basically it all started when they started selling FO 4 DLCs made from player made MODs, for then trying to monetize all MODs.

Never have played any Bethesda games with a mod that wasn't included in the base package, though in all fairness except for FO76 I have always waited for three or more years post release to play them.
    AlBQuirkyScot

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Torval said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Sovrath said:
    TEKK3N said:

um "one game."

No Bethesda game would be really great without modders. The great games in the FO series were all made by other developers (Interplay, Black Isle, Obsidian). Skyrim is so popular only because of modding, not because the core game itself is so good.
    I dunno, never played FO4 with any mods other than bug fix ones Bethesda chose to include and it's my favorite single player game in the last 15 years

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Torval said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Sovrath said:
    TEKK3N said:

um "one game."

No Bethesda game would be really great without modders. The great games in the FO series were all made by other developers (Interplay, Black Isle, Obsidian). Skyrim is so popular only because of modding, not because the core game itself is so good.
    Morrowind was the exception for me. I played that game numerous times before I even heard about mods, even with its horrid combat ;)

Otherwise, I agree.

PS To Sovrath:
    I wish I could approach sequels the way you do. I just imagine what could be improved in a previous game and it has yet to be on the same page as the developers ideas. If what I enjoyed about a prequel is gone from the sequel, I get salty :)
    newbismx

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    Kyleran said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Sovrath said:
    TEKK3N said:

um "one game."

Never have played any Bethesda games with a mod that wasn't included in the base package, though in all fairness except for FO76 I have always waited for three or more years post release to play them.
    You are missing out there, but I am very cautious about what mods I use myself. Even the ones certified by Bethesda can be hugely overpowering or ruin the game in some way. But the new quests and location mods are mostly great.
    klash2defKylerannewbismx
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,919
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Sovrath said:
    TEKK3N said:

um "one game."

You are missing out there, but I am very cautious about what mods I use myself. Even the ones certified by Bethesda can be hugely overpowering or ruin the game in some way. But the new quests and location mods are mostly great.
    Exactly playing with mods would have significantly increased your enjoyment but you will never know because you didn't try it.

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,992
    edited December 2019
    kitarad said:
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Sovrath said:
    TEKK3N said:

um "one game."

Exactly playing with mods would have significantly increased your enjoyment but you will never know because you didn't try it.
    There's a lot you can leave many mods to the end like quests and new locations. Just thinking of FO4 the mods I installed before "end game" were one that made you jump a bit higher (just fed up of getting stuck in scenery), some that made your outfit look better, one that fixed bugs (sort of QA) one that improved how items were listed in the UI. A couple others, but just cannot remember what they were.
    edited December 2019
    kitarad said:
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    TEKK3N said:
    Sovrath said:
    TEKK3N said:

um "one game."

Hrrm....I have over 1400 hours in FO4, not sure I want to enjoy it more than this, there are other games I need to try you know. (only one at a time until it's done)

;)

Game balance is a very tricky thing which most developers take great pains to get right.

Mods which open up new locations or quests would likely be good, but any which significantly alter the core experience wouldn't be of interest. 

Do I really want a mod which lets me capture and put any creature or human in a bag to carry around on my back? Just silly, and most are like this.

While I did purchase a DLC pack for a new area, when I found out Bethesda locked the ammo creation bench inside one of their mod packs I refused to buy it just on principle (was only $9.99) as I felt it was a cheap trick.

I don't believe in playing games which benefit by or "require" players to use mods, macros or UI changes.

WOW completely soured me to UI mods, one reason I quit ESO is people often said I should install certain mods to improve the experience.  

It was easier just not to play ESO, significantly improved my gaming experience with no extra effort required. 

Hey, if I can struggle and overcome the shitty UI, so should everyone else do so in order to maintain a more level playing field.

I swear if it were possible many folks here would wear rocket boosters on their shoes in order to making dunking easier when playing basketball, and see no problem in doing so. Mods are a lot like this.

:D 

Cheers.

ScotAlBQuirkymmolou

Kyleran said:
    I swear if it were possible many folks here would wear rocket boosters on their shoes in order to making dunking easier when playing basketball, and see no problem in doing so.
    Mods are a lot like this.

:D 

Cheers.

Many are. I browse Nexus Mods or Steam's Workshop areas and see way too many "make the game easier" mods. Then there is a handful of mods that make the games harder. Most of what I use is graphical improvements and more choices, like weapons, hair/face, and clothing.

Kyleran

- Al

- FARGIN_WAR

• newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    All that really matters are the nude mods... 
    KyleranAlBQuirkyAdamantine