Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Beyond combat

2»

Comments

• AmarantharAmaranthar Member EpicPosts: 5,797
    The social aspect in an MMO is definitely a feature and part of the game, but dismissing the boredom problem in that way is excessive imho 
    Some things are going to take "work", if you don't want things to be just "click and effect." Click and effect,That's boring and uninteresting, to me. 
    Just like in RL, you can make your day go by much faster and enjoyable by having a little fun with others while you toil. 
    It would be great to design whatever can be "fun" to liven the experience up, no doubt. But whatever you do in game design, after a while it's going to get boring. 
    So it's either build some scripting thing and let the player walk away from it while it runs, or "do the work." 
    There's really no answer to this issue, as far as that part goes. 

What a game can do is have random things happen while players toil away, to relieve the monotony. 
    Spawning Elementals or Nature Spirits while Mining, Lumberjacking, etc., is one thing that can be done. 
    Having random strange affects happen while crafting is another, and can be expanded into making discoveries. I mean, when bronze was discovered in RL's ancient times, it changed the world, and was based on a discovery and recognition of what happened. That's a playable thing for MMORPGs. 

You know those little yellow Post-it pads? That was made using a glue experiment that failed miserably, but someone recognized a different potential for that "glue that didn't work." 
    Put that sort of thing in these games. 

Gdemamicameltosis

Once upon a time....

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    My question is : do you think that the idea of having a full sandbox, with many roles player driven economy etc does indeed benefit the majority of the average playerbase, therefore justifying the effort of the developers? 
    You essentially ask whether sandbox is "better" than themepark - that is a nonsensical question.

The problem of sandbox isn't crafting or supply but lack of progression.
    cameltosisHatefull
  • ChimborazoChimborazo Member UncommonPosts: 146
    Gdemami said:
    My question is : do you think that the idea of having a full sandbox, with many roles player driven economy etc does indeed benefit the majority of the average playerbase, therefore justifying the effort of the developers? 
    You essentially ask whether sandbox is "better" than themepark - that is a nonsensical question.

I don't feel like that's the essence of my question: the combat aspect doesn't contribute much to make an MMO lean toward the "themepark" or "sambox", things "beyond combat" make that.
    At this point you either have a lot of "themepark" with some variations and several ultra open complex sandboxes that wants to be a realistic fantasy simulator, and they either fail or never get lunched. 

I think that devs, when designing the "beyond combat" aspects of the game should try to find a middle ground, cause this deeply interconnected and realistic dream is, in my opinion (I'm not enlightened, but I offered some points) too consuming and drag the whole thing down, just for the benefit of few.

I gave a look to New World, was intrigued at first but every video I've seen there's somebody chopping a tree down, chopping tree is lame.
    Why can't you add flavour to an otherwise "bland" themepark focusing on the fun of the "beyond combat" activities? 
    Currently on: Guild Wars 2
    Gdemami said:

What do you mean by "lack of progression?" 
    Big unbelievable god-mode Power Gaps? Because I can't think of anything else that can't be done in a Sandbox game. 

Once upon a time....

Gdemami said:

I don't feel like that's the essence of my question: the combat aspect doesn't contribute much to make an MMO lean toward the "themepark" or "sambox", things "beyond combat" make that.
    At this point you either have a lot of "themepark" with some variations and several ultra open complex sandboxes that wants to be a realistic fantasy simulator, and they either fail or never get lunched. 

I think that devs, when designing the "beyond combat" aspects of the game should try to find a middle ground, cause this deeply interconnected and realistic dream is, in my opinion (I'm not enlightened, but I offered some points) too consuming and drag the whole thing down, just for the benefit of few.

I gave a look to New World, was intrigued at first but every video I've seen there's somebody chopping a tree down, chopping tree is lame.
    Why can't you add flavour to an otherwise "bland" themepark focusing on the fun of the "beyond combat" activities? 
    "I think that devs, when designing the "beyond combat" aspects of the game should try to find a middle ground, cause this deeply interconnected and realistic dream is, in my opinion (I'm not enlightened, but I offered some points) too consuming and drag the whole thing down, just for the benefit of few."

I'm not sure, but I think you have the wrong impression of that stuff. 
    Most of it isn't required, it's there for players who want it. 
    How it affects other things is pretty much invisible if a player doesn't want do play those aspects. It's just behind the scenes. 
    Some of it would affect game play in minor ways, but hardly in an earth shattering way. 
    Just my opinion. 

Once upon a time....

Gdemami said:

"I think that devs, when designing the "beyond combat" aspects of the game should try to find a middle ground, cause this deeply interconnected and realistic dream is, in my opinion (I'm not enlightened, but I offered some points) too consuming and drag the whole thing down, just for the benefit of few."

How it affects other things is pretty much invisible if a player doesn't want do play those aspects. It's just behind the scenes. 
    Some of it would affect game play in minor ways, but hardly in an earth shattering way. 
    Just my opinion. 

It doesn't bother me (I prefer more "slim" gameplay tbh but that's not important) but it consumes resources, money and time from the developers, and since these things are not infinite the problems we are all aware of come into play (bugs, varporware etc)
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,353

Yes.
    I haven't experienced directly a game like this, but I don't think I agree with you. 
    I think vast majority of players don't want to be crafters, otherwise the industry would've moved heavily toward this kind of games. Many people would maybe appreciate a sprinkle of crafting in their hunting / fighting gaming experience. 

In addition, you can imagine a situation where there's a crafter in a game that make weapons, and the time requested to make a sword is far less than the time after which the sword needs to be replaced. So in an hour a craftsman makes 20 swords for 20 different players that will last for few hours at least. Scaling up this example, I can't see a scenario where the full time crafters who enjoy the related mechanics are more than 10% of the total population. 
    Don't just make it a theoretical question.  Go try some MMORPGs that aren't primarily about combat and see what you think.

Uncharted Waters Online is the best at it.  It has combat, but combat is a relatively small portion of the game.  The other big portions are exploration and trading, but there are a ton of things.  If you play the game actively for several months and then discover that there's a major feature that you could have been using almost right from the start but weren't even aware that it was part of the game, that's a pretty normal experience of UWO.

There's also A Tale in the Desert, the crafting game.  You may think that crafting is boring if you've only played games that did it badly, or made it into a minor side feature to help you get better at combat.  If you haven't played ATitD, its crafting system probably has more complexity than that of all of the MMORPGs you've ever played added together.  
    AmarantharChimborazo
    Gdemami said:

Just my opinion. 

It doesn't bother me (I prefer more "slim" gameplay tbh but that's not important) but it consumes resources, money and time from the developers, and since these things are not infinite the problems we are all aware of come into play (bugs, varporware etc)
    UO did it on a "shoestring budget." 
    With today's money, someone that understands that design concept could make it far better. 

Once upon a time....

• AAAMEOWAAAMEOW Member RarePosts: 1,605
    Gdemami said:

Big unbelievable god-mode Power Gaps? Because I can't think of anything else that can't be done in a Sandbox game. 
    The thing I notice playing mmorpg is almost everyone on the server are grinding. 

Even activities which are not grinding takes grinding before hand to do.  For example if you want to be a ganker, you need to grind up for gear to gank people.  

My take is most people who play mmorpg(or willing to stick to the same game) are goal oriented people.  They play mmorpg to reach their goal.  When they run out of goal they want to do, they quit.

AAAMEOW said:
    Gdemami said:

The thing I notice playing mmorpg is almost everyone on the server are grinding. 

Even activities which are not grinding takes grinding before hand to do.  For example if you want to be a ganker, you need to grind up for gear to gank people.  

My take is most people who play mmorpg(or willing to stick to the same game) are goal oriented people.  They play mmorpg to reach their goal.  When they run out of goal they want to do, they quit.

I'm not sure what you mean. You said "The thing I notice playing mmorpg." Did you mean Sandbox or Themepark or both? 

I'd say "both" because it's there for both. 
    - In Sandbox games (Skill Based) players worked up skills that way. Yes, it's boring and there should be game play that incorporates said skill grinding in it. 
    - In Themepark games (Level Based) there's "kill 10 rats." Also boring grind. 

Once upon a time....

AAAMEOW said:
    Gdemami said:

I'm not sure what you mean. You said "The thing I notice playing mmorpg." Did you mean Sandbox or Themepark or both? 

- In Sandbox games (Skill Based) players worked up skills that way. Yes, it's boring and there should be game play that incorporates said skill grinding in it. 

After I finished grinding skill in legend of aria, I quit because there are no goal to aim after it.  After I finished grinding level in wow(which takes less than a month).  I continue playing for years because there are constantly new goal to aim.

People keep talking about the leveling phase which I never find important, because for some one addicted like me, I reach it in a few week.
    AAAMEOW said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    Gdemami said:

After I finished grinding skill in legend of aria, I quit because there are no goal to aim after it.  After I finished grinding level in wow(which takes less than a month).  I continue playing for years because there are constantly new goal to aim.

People keep talking about the leveling phase which I never find important, because for some one addicted like me, I reach it in a few week.
    You're talking about new Levels to grind for? I can see how that would be good for those who like that game play, and want nothing more. Especially at "End Game" where the content is well designed and entertaining. 
    But they can't make it fast enough, and players end up with long stretches with nothing to do. 

Now, no one has seen a modern, great, Sandbox game yet. 
    The way I see it, existing content can be modified. Dungeons "re-tooled", with some new areas added onto them. Maybe even some new, small version Dungeons or Ruins tacked on around the world. 
    Lore based, and story driven, that can include GM Events around the game world too.
    To me, this means that they can crank out more of this, because it's not entirely new, and because much of it uses existing stuff. 
    There's a lot that can be done with this, don't underestimate what can be done as far as story, mystery, and discovery. A game world that is "as the world turns." 

In my opinion, being part of world events and such, this is much more interesting. Because it matters in that there can be clues left for future new content. Clues involving the whole game world and content. 

But I have to admit, for gamers who need ever increasing Powering Ups, I don't see that happening in a well run Sandbox game. 
    It's based on experiences and interesting things, mysteries, new discoveries, that sort of stuff. It's a different thing to play a game for than power leveling. 
    Chimborazo

Once upon a time....

AAAMEOW said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    Gdemami said:

You're talking about new Levels to grind for? 
    Yes, like gear with better stats etc.  But it could be anything from more gold, mount, cosmetic, crafting recipe, achievement, pet, faction point

The only people stick with playing the same mmorpg for years are farmers.  

AAAMEOW said:
    Gdemami said:

I feel like I do lack some form of goal in my current MMO: I play the new areas when they come out, follow the story and do some other "old" activities when there's some guild event, but I have zero use for any kind of reward (I don't like the look of the expensive skins, and they're far too grindy aniway). 

I also don't want to grind every month for the next tier of equip. It's a difficult thing to balance, some aspects of sabdboxes (world control etc) sounds like a good way to start. 
    edited December 2019
    AAAMEOW said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    AAAMEOW said:
    Gdemami said:

You're talking about new Levels to grind for? 
    Yes, like gear with better stats etc.  But it could be anything from more gold, mount, cosmetic, crafting recipe, achievement, pet, faction point

The only people stick with playing the same mmorpg for years are farmers.  

You just hit the nail on the head. 
    It can be anything that is interesting to players. 
    While Hack and Slash will always be the number one thing for MMORPGs, at some point you get tired of the same old dredge. At some point most of us will ask the question, "Is that all there is?" 

And there is A LOT that's been left off the table. 
    Post edited by Amaranthar on
    AlBQuirky

Once upon a time....

AAAMEOW said:
    Gdemami said:

I feel like I do lack some form of goal in my current MMO: I play the new areas when they come out, follow the story and do some other "old" activities when there's some guild event, but I have zero use for any kind of reward (I don't like the look of the expensive skins, and they're far too grindy aniway). 

I also don't want to grind every month for the next tier of equip. It's a difficult thing to balance, some aspects of sabdboxes (world control etc) sounds like a good way to start. 

Oh yeah, there is so much that can be done with "Worldly." 
    Interesting and fun stuff. I'm already thinking of specific examples. 
    "Dreaming" is the better word for it. 

Once upon a time....

Oh yeah, there is so much that can be done with "Worldly." 
    Interesting and fun stuff. I'm already thinking of specific examples. 
    "Dreaming" is the better word for it. 

I feel like having to figure out exactly what I'm looking for in an MMO beyond what I'm used to play, what do i've really enjoyed and what new I might enjoy in the future.
    Got curious about the sandboxes with deep craft etc but in the way games usualy present that feature I'd say that's probably not what I'm looking for.