Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Question about SSD

ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,561
So if I bought a portable SSD and put games on it, can I also run said games on my PC? I want to get a SSD but I don't want to install it as I am terrible at that stuff and the local computer store would charge me $50. 
Currently playing: Witcher 3 (Xbox One X), TemTem

Currently Reading: Oathbringer (Stormlight Archive Book 3)

Currently Writing: Champions of Legend Book 1 (2nd Draft)

Comments

• CoticCotic Member UncommonPosts: 267
    Yep, would not be problem at all
    Arterius
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 919
    Yes providing you have a USB port 3.0 or you will lose the advantage of an SSD.
    ScotArteriusPo_gg
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,420
    My set up has two drives, your windows and games go on the SSD, everything else you have like Word, Adobe etc goes on a large fast hard drive.
    Arterius

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,561
    TEKK3N said:
    Yes providing you have a USB port 3.0 or you will lose the advantage of an SSD.
    Anyway how to check if I have a USB 3.0

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 4,941
    edited December 2019
    I believe the main question is your goal with the SSD. If you're running out of space, it's fine. But otherwise by going external you will lose the main strength of the SSD, the speed.

What I mean is, sure, as Cotic said too, you can put games on a portable drive and play from there. However, except a few special cases (DCUO comes to mind, its client has ten-thousands of tiny files) your games will run load slower, regardless of the portable drive has SSD, since the bottleneck will be the USB.

Hence the question about space. If you're running out, and need extra space but don't want to mess around inside the case, an external SSD is a good enough solution.
    But if you just want your games to run faster, and you hear everyone's praising the SSD's speed boost (which is really there, from a slower HDD the speed increase is mindboggling), you won't benefit much of that extra speed while it's in an external drive - except those special cases of tons of small files and fast access.

edit: and while I type, TEKK3N made the same point, in a much shorter summary  :)
    Arterius
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,420
    edited December 2019
    Start - type in "Device Manager" - look for "universal serial bus controllers" - click on the little arrow next to them to expand the list. One will say USB 3.0...hopefully.
    Arterius

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

Po_gg said:
    I believe the main question is your goal with the SSD. If you're running out of space, it's fine. But otherwise by going external you will lose the main strength of the SSD, the speed.

What I mean is, sure, as Cotic said too, you can put games on a portable drive and play from there. However, except a few special cases (DCUO comes to mind, its client has ten-thousands of tiny files) your games will run slower, regardless of the portable drive has SSD, since the bottleneck will be the USB.

Hence the question about space. If you're running out, and need extra space but don't want to mess around inside the case, an external SSD is a good enough solution.
    But if you just want your games to run faster, and you hear everyone's praising the SSD's speed boost (which is really there, from a slower HDD the speed increase is mindboggling), you won't benefit much of that extra speed while it's in an external drive - except those special cases of tons of small files and fast access.

edit: and while I type, TEKK3N made the same point, in a much shorter summary  :)
    Yeah its the speed not the space. So thanks for the reply

edited December 2019
    Scot said:
    Start - type in "Device Manager" - look for "universal serial bus controllers" - click on the little arrow next to them to expand the list. One will say USB 3.0...hopefully.
    I do have one of them actually. So thats a plus. When I get back from vacation I will try to figure just which USB slot it is. For now I got to hit the hay for I have a 5 hour drive a head of me in a few hours. I was just staying up to watch the new episode of the Mandalorian haha

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 4,941
    Btw. $50 sounds a lot for it, you can do it yourself in minutes, and then enjoy the speed boost. It's like Lego, with screwdrivers :)
    Kingston has a very detailed step-by-step on the topic, and it's less than 3 minutes... https://youtu.be/8JOxKSkkdMM
  • cameltosiscameltosis Member EpicPosts: 2,294
    I would highly recommend installing the SSD internally. Like Po_gg said, it's really easy to do in almost all cases.

In modern cases, chances are you won't even need to screw anything in, just pop the drive in a tray inside the case which will then clip in. Plug in power cable from power supply, then plug the provided cable into the SSD at one end, motherboard at the other. The shape of the cable means you can't plug it into the wrong place on the motherboard.

Also, highly recommend installing windows on it, assuming you don't already have an SSD with windows on. My PC used to take roughly 2 minutes from hitting the power button to being able to play a game. After switching to an SSD, that dropped to 8 seconds on fresh install, stablising at about 15 seconds after I'd reinstalled everything. That same sort of load time can be seen in games. Anything over 6 years old tends to load near instantly.

Good luck though, SSD's are awesome!

If you do decide to go internal, be careful on the type. The older "normal" SSDs should all be fine, just plug in the cables. However, the more modern M.2 SSDs require specific slots on your motherboard and don't use cables, so if your mobo can't support it then it won't work,.