Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What are your top games of the decade? Of all time?

AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
With the decade nearing its end, what were your favorite games of the 2010's? How do they stack up to your favorite games of all time? What do your choices say about you?

My top ten favorite games of the decade:

10. Fire Emblem: Awakening (2012)
9. Path of Exile (2013)
8. Spider Man (2018)
7. Batman Arkham City (2011)
6. Guild Wars 2 (2012)
5. God of War (2018)
4. Mass Effect 2 (2011)
3. The Witcher 3 (2015)
2. Persona 5 (2017)
1. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (2019)

Honorable mentions: NieR: Automata, Monster Hunter World, Devil May Cry 5, Smash Bros. Ultimate

My top ten games of all time:

10. Tales of Vesperia (2008)
9. Dragon Age: Origins (2009)
8. Guild Wars 2 (2012)
7. God of War (2018)
6. Mass Effect 2 (2011)
5. The Witcher 3 (2015)
4. Persona 5 (2017)
3. Fire Emblem: Three Houses (2019)
2. Fire Emblem: Path of Radiance (2005)
1. Guild Wars 1 (2005)

My thoughts:

It's pretty clear from my list that I place a high value on roleplaying games and linear story-driven action adventure games. While a vast majority of my favorite games are from the past decade, that really only seems to apply to the singleplayer market. Online games aren't giving me the depth they used to.

Also, my favorite years for gaming overall seem to have been 2018 and 2005. 
rojoArcueid

Comments

• RemaliRemali Member RarePosts: 914
    Ill give you my top 3

1 baldurs gate (series)
    2 ff7
    3 fallout 2

I only give 3 because I rank them way over than anything else ever released
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    EVE
    Fallout 4
    .....EVE?

Was a pretty shit decade really....

:D 

NorseGod

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• hupahupa Member UncommonPosts: 157
    edited December 2019
    FF7 (and FF10, FF8, FF12)
    Everquest 2 
    Lotro
    Witcher 3
    Terraria
    XCOM2 with War of the chosen
    Path Of Exile
    Trackmania
    Dying Light
    X3 (TC and AP)
    Divinity: Original Sin 2 (edit, almost forgot about this one, played through 3 times)

These came to mind, not all from this decade.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Decade:

1. The Last of Us (One of the ONLY games this decade to make really feel something emotional)
    2. World of Tanks
    3. Skyrim
    4. Fallout:  New Vegas
    5. Far Cry 3
    6. Grim Dawn
    7. Witcher 3
    8. Total War: Warhammer I and II (It's really one game, sold in two parts)
    9. Shadow of Mordor
    10. Alien: Isolation

All Time:

1. Baldur's Gate II (Not even a question.  Best game ever made)
    2. EVE Online
    3. Age of Conan
    4. KOTOR I & II
    5. Planetside I
    6. CoD:  MW2
    7. Splinter Cell:  Chaos Theory
    8. Warcraft II
    9. Homeworld
    10. Civilization V

Granted, these are off the top of my head, so if you ask me again four weeks from now, I might give slightly different answers if I remember a game or two that changes the list.

That being said, the #1 spot on each list won't move.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Aeander said:
    With the decade nearing its end, what were your favorite games of the 2010's? How do they stack up to your favorite games of all time? What do your choices say about you?

9. Path of Exile (2013)
    8. Spider Man (2018)
    6. Guild Wars 2 (2012)
    5. God of War (2018)
    4. Mass Effect 2 (2011)
    3. The Witcher 3 (2015)
    2. Persona 5 (2017)

Honorable mentions: NieR: Automata, Monster Hunter World, Devil May Cry 5, Smash Bros. Ultimate

8. Guild Wars 2 (2012)
    7. God of War (2018)
    6. Mass Effect 2 (2011)
    5. The Witcher 3 (2015)
    4. Persona 5 (2017)
    1. Guild Wars 1 (2005)

My thoughts:

It's pretty clear from my list that I place a high value on roleplaying games and linear story-driven action adventure games. While a vast majority of my favorite games are from the past decade, that really only seems to apply to the singleplayer market. Online games aren't giving me the depth they used to.

Surprised to not see any of the CRPG like pillars, divinity on your list! From the rest of the list it does seem you enjoy more japanese style games. I'd definitely also have FE:three houses in my top 3 decade also.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    Utinni said:
    Aeander said:

9. Path of Exile (2013)
    8. Spider Man (2018)
    6. Guild Wars 2 (2012)
    5. God of War (2018)
    4. Mass Effect 2 (2011)
    3. The Witcher 3 (2015)
    2. Persona 5 (2017)

8. Guild Wars 2 (2012)
    7. God of War (2018)
    6. Mass Effect 2 (2011)
    5. The Witcher 3 (2015)
    4. Persona 5 (2017)
    1. Guild Wars 1 (2005)

My thoughts:

Surprised to not see any of the CRPG like pillars, divinity on your list! From the rest of the list it does seem you enjoy more japanese style games. I'd definitely also have FE:three houses in my top 3 decade also.
    I guess the CRPGs like Pillars and Divinity are ones I just need to put more time into. They've been on my backlog for a while, and I kind of find that they are slow starters.

I skew pretty heavily into Japanese RPGs now, because Western RPGs have generally become more obsessed with open worlds and exploration than with story and characters these days.
    Aeander said:
    Utinni said:
    Aeander said:

9. Path of Exile (2013)
    8. Spider Man (2018)
    6. Guild Wars 2 (2012)
    5. God of War (2018)
    4. Mass Effect 2 (2011)
    3. The Witcher 3 (2015)
    2. Persona 5 (2017)

8. Guild Wars 2 (2012)
    7. God of War (2018)
    6. Mass Effect 2 (2011)
    5. The Witcher 3 (2015)
    4. Persona 5 (2017)
    1. Guild Wars 1 (2005)

My thoughts:

I guess the CRPGs like Pillars and Divinity are ones I just need to put more time into. They've been on my backlog for a while, and I kind of find that they are slow starters.

I skew pretty heavily into Japanese RPGs now, because Western RPGs have generally become more obsessed with open worlds and exploration than with story and characters these days.
    Divinity and Pathfinder put a great amount of time into story and characters. CRPG are pretty slow starters though I'll agree on that one. Pathfinder:kingmaker takes ages before you actually feel like your characters are cool. 
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited December 2019
    My favorite games of this last decade (2010-2020) in no particular order:

- GW2
    - Nier Automata
    - Bloodstained: Ritual of the Night
    - Persona 5
    - Horizon: Zero Dawn
    - Bloodborne
    - The Last of Us
    - The Witcher 3
    - Tales of Berseria
    - Bravely Default
    - Dark souls 1
    - Dark souls 3 (i liked DS2 but not really a top favorite)
    - Gravity Rush
    - Fatal Frame: Maiden of Black Water
    - Dragon's Dogma
    - Metro 2033
    - Metro: Last Light (haven't played Exodus so I won't include it)
    - Deus Ex: Mankind Divided
    - Xenoblade: Chronicles X
    - The Last Story
    - Skyrim

As for all time favorites I don't have a list off the top of my head, but Suikoden 1, 2 and 5 take the top three spots. Suikoden 3 is in there somewhere down the list too.
    Post edited by rojoArcueid on

My 10 favorite games of this last decade (2010-2020) in no particular order:

- GW2
    - Nier Automata
    - Persona 5
    - Bloodborne
    - The Last of Us
    - The Witcher 3
    - Tales of Berseria
    - Bravely Default

I could easily count 20 favorites of this decade but the thread is about 10 only so i'll keep it simple.

As for the top 10 of all time I don't have a list off the top of my head, but Suikoden 1, 2 and 5 take the top 3 spots.
    It's actually not a top ten thread. I just chose to organize my own as such.
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    Aeander said:
    My 10 favorite games of this last decade (2010-2020) in no particular order:

- GW2
    - Nier Automata
    - Persona 5
    - Bloodborne
    - The Last of Us
    - The Witcher 3
    - Tales of Berseria
    - Bravely Default

I could easily count 20 favorites of this decade but the thread is about 10 only so i'll keep it simple.

As for the top 10 of all time I don't have a list off the top of my head, but Suikoden 1, 2 and 5 take the top 3 spots.
    It's actually not a top ten thread. I just chose to organize my own as such.
    Oh i misread the title, i somehow i read a Top Ten. I'll edit my post and add other favorites then

• HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Of all time, easy SWG.

Decade, Planetside 2

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• NeblessNebless Member RarePosts: 1,835
    Of all time:  In no particular order, just off the top of my head.

Darkensang: The Dark Eye
    Freelancer
    Age of Conan
    LotRO
    DDO
    Pirates of the Burning Seas
    Titan Quest
    Battle Academy

and without a doubt

Star Wars Galaxies

SWG (pre-cu) - AoC (pre-f2p) - PotBS (pre-boarder) - DDO - LotRO (pre-f2p) - STO (pre-f2p) - GnH (beta tester) - SWTOR - Neverwinter

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    Dishonored was a game that i really enjoyed.I waited until it went on sale,paid i think $30.
    I really enjoyed the value i got from Atlas,a building game with some of the best graphics,pets galore,a real challenge again for about $30.

Then i see all these games selling for $80 and they are not even very good games.There is one other game i wanted to buy but at $90 not a chance in hell and that is the Octopath Traveler.

[Deleted User]

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Arterius said:
    Wizardry said:
    Dishonored was a game that i really enjoyed.I waited until it went on sale,paid i think $30.
    I really enjoyed the value i got from Atlas,a building game with some of the best graphics,pets galore,a real challenge again for about $30.

Then i see all these games selling for $80 and they are not even very good games.There is one other game i wanted to buy but at $90 not a chance in hell and that is the Octopath Traveler.

Atlas has good graphics. Come on Wiz its sometimes hard to take you seriously sometimes. I am shocked that you like Dishonored as well
    Sometimes?
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    That's a difficult one, from both sides...
    All time, it's way too difficult to fit into a list of 10, and for the current decade, it's way too difficult to go beyond 5 - as Kyl said, it wasn't a really good decade :)

Let's start with all time, that seems easier... Without specific order:

GTA  (mainly Vice City and San Andreas)
    Ultima   (mainly 4-6 and 7/1 and 7/2, definitely NOT the UO)
    ES   (mainly Morrowind and Daggerfall, definitely NOT the ESO or Skyrim)
    Fallout  (1,2, Tactics, maybe even New Vegas, but not the other shooters and 76)
    Deus Ex  (and System Shock)
    HoM&M + King's Bounty (mainly HoM&M3, but anything below 6, even 4 wasn't that bad as 6 or 7...)
    Longest Journey (but anything Ragnar actually, Draugen too, and Anarchy Online since there's not enough slots for it separately)

... which reminds me, need to keep a few slots for the MMORPGs as well
    AoC
    LotRO
    TSW
    CoH/CO

Aand, that's 11 already, while a lot was missing out still, like the BG-IWD-Planescape trio, VtM: Bloodlines (awesome game....), Wizardry series (minus the online, and maybe 8 was weak too), plenty of adventure series, etc.

This decade, a lot more difficult. As the list above shows, besides TSW all of them are older than 10 years - and even TSW is dead now. Let's see:
    TSW
    Deponia
    Pillars of Eternity
    Witcher (sure, the first wasn't in this decade)

Pretty much that's it, there were a couple nice indie gems like Oxenfree or Obra Din or some Wadjet games, but I doubt I'd hold them 10-20 years from now still as good and memorable as I do now with the games on the first list.

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    -World of Warcraft
    -GTA III
    -Civilization II
    -Rimworld
    -Outcast

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Of the decade:

Secret World
    SWTOR

Of all time:

WoW 
    CoH
    EQ1
    SWG

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    Of the decade:

Secret World
    SWTOR

Of all time:

WoW 
    CoH
    EQ1
    SWG
    You know, I really do think The Secret World was something special and had the most potential of any MMO in recent memory.

It wasn't a masterpiece, and it had some glaring, crippling issues, but if they wanted to go back to the IP and make a TSW2, I'd be on board with that.
    Aeander said:
    Amathe said:
    Of the decade:

Secret World
    SWTOR

Of all time:

WoW 
    CoH
    EQ1
    SWG
    You know, I really do think The Secret World was something special and had the most potential of any MMO in recent memory.

It wasn't a masterpiece, and it had some glaring, crippling issues, but if they wanted to go back to the IP and make a TSW2, I'd be on board with that.
    Some of the game mechanics were cool. Some really sucked. But the stories were awesome. And there were puzzles galore to solve, if you like that.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited December 2019
    Last decade? No clue. All time? That might differ daily. Right now in no particular order:

Bayonetta (1+2)
    Eye of the Beholder
    Might and Magic 3
    Devil May Cry 3
    Diablo
    Starcraft
    Walking Dead Season 1
    Final Fantasy 9 (or 12)
    Monster Hunter - the entire series
    Heroes of Might and Magic 2

Yeah, I know, I know. I am all over the place ;)

edit: screw only ten, the following games deserve to be on the list too:

Skies of Arcadia Legends
    Panzer Dragoon Saga
    Morrowind
    Super Streetfighter 2: Championship Edition
    Wizardry 7

So, top 15 of all time it is.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

And a shout out to Leisure Suit Larry. 
    NorseGod

• cameltosiscameltosis Member LegendaryPosts: 3,706
    I find it hard to keep track really, especially over such a long time! However, some highlights from the last 10ish years

- Planet Zoo: this is my current obsession and I've already racked up more hours in the month since launch than I have in Planet Zoo and Jurassic World: Evolution combined (all made by same dev)

- GTA5: I absolutely loved the world and the main single player story/gameplay. There were some fault/features lacking which all seemed to get put into multiplayer only. But overall, the single player game is my fav GTA of all time.

- Cities: Skylines. Ah, the creativity! the mods! Just such a pretty game with some reasonably involved mechanics and a ton of creative options. Spent so much time designing "perfect" cities. Hell, I once spent 6 hours just designing the map I wanted to play, before I even built a single road.

- LotRO - my favourite time period was the first 6 months after launch, but the game remained pretty fun for quite a few years. Those first 6 months are probably my favourite times of all my gaming history

- Total War: Warhammer (1+2) - since first playing Shogun all those years ago, I had been dreaming of a total war game set in the warhammer universe. I had to wait 15 years, but out of the blue Creative Assembly finally did it! And then they did a second one!

- Skate 1, 2 and 3 - I always wanted to be a skateboarder, even took it up for quite a few years. but I sucked at it lol. The skate series allowed me total wish fulfilment in a semi-realistic manner. Despite being made by EA, the core skate mechanics and sandbox nature meant I could just have tons of fun for as long as I wanted. A Skate 4 is one of the few things that would get me to break my nearly 7 year boycott of EA.

- Rainbow 6: Las Vegas 1+2 - I'm not a shooter guy in general, but I loved the combination of stealth, tech and shooting in these games. I only ever played terrorist hunt in split screen, but it seemed to never cease being enjoyable.

- XCOM: Enemy Unknown. Whilst I preferred the customisation of xcom 2, something about the levels in the first one made it seem much better to me.

I wish I could add some RPGs to this list but I really haven't enjoyed that many of them in the last 10 years. MMOs like LotRO and WAR showed me how much depth is possible in a combat system, so going back to shallow hack'n'slash games has been a constant let down. Couple that with the focus on story over gameplay and I just don't get on with any of the modern ones. FF7 still remains my favourite game of all time, it's just weird to think that a 20 year old game has better combat / more depth than it's modern equivalents.

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Last Decade in no particular Order (and may be missing some)

Dragon Age Inquisition
    Dragon Quest XI
    Fallout 4
    Horizon Zero Dawn
    Skyrim
    FFXII Zodiac Age (remake)
    FFXIV
    Xenoblade Chronicles X
    SWTOR 
    LOTRO (based on expansions released this decade)
    Guild Wars 2
    Mass Effect 2

All time (no particular order)

Chrono Trigger and Chrono Cross
    FF Series (2, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 12, and even 13)
    FF Tactics
    Legend of Dragoon
    Grandia Series
    Xenosaga Series
    Vandal Hearts Series
    Vagrant Story
    Dragon Age Series
    NwN 1 and 2
    Elder Scrolls Series
    Dragon Quest Series (2, 3, 4, 7, 8, XI)
    Shadow Hearts Series
    Lunar Silver/Eternal Blue Series
    Mass Effect Series
    Xenoblade Chronicles
    The Last Story

MMOS

FFXIV
    SWTOR
    LOTRO
    GW 1 and 2
    DCUO
    Think of how strange and incredible this decade was. God of War made people cry, we had the first good video game movies, JRPGs became mainstream, and EA published a half-decent game.
    rojoArcueid[Deleted User]
    Wizardry said:

So you love FF11, Atlas, Dishonored, and your currency exchange is 2:1 on the USD. 

You are literally my favorite person in the universe.