Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Delays and Funding to be Investigated by BBC Program, Click

Comments

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,101
    The only thing that will happen is that more people will give them money. They get free publicity and more money.
    ErillionMaxBaconBabuinixHatefull
    Chamber of Chains
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    edited December 2019
    cheyane said:
    The only thing that will happen is that more people will give them money. They get free publicity and more money.
    That's pretty much it.

Media has had countless go's at SC on the past years, it has not stopped the project from its continuous progression & crowdfunding success (that beats its own records every year pretty much).

That was the last BBC Click take on SC, they are not any investigation group just media tech fluff and this upcoming is likely the same type of thing, I don't understand why the usual naysayers are all excited for this, I mean even the media are making articles over something that isn't even out so, is it that this people are desperate for anything negative on SC? It's not like we'll hear anything new on a topic endlessly covered already.
    ErillionBabuinixHatefull
  • The user and all related content has been deleted.
  • ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    If I google "star citizen squadron 42 release date" I get a bunch of articles from December 2018 promising a summer 2020 release date, and an almost feature complete game at the end of 2019.  For example,

Here we are at the end of 2019...with a promised beta by Q3 2020.

with about half of the chapters in early stages ("whtebox") and half in early "graybox" stages.  With lots and lots of planned changes to move the whole thing to alpha stage in Q2 2020 and beta in Q3 2020.

Is anyone on the planet going to be surprised when November 2020 rolls around and there is still no beta?  If it was close to feature complete, as opposed to graybox/whitebox across the board, wouldn't they be showing the game play off in, say, their big annual convention?

NorseGodnewbismx
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited December 2019
    Ilumien said:
    there are two versions of "Click", a short piece that is broadcast on BBC1, usually early morning Saturday or Sunday (15 mins), or there is a longer version available online. been watching for years, they occasionally do investigative bits when there is a "large" issue on the table and for instance have reported on failures of 3g, 4g and 5g network building in the UK, the whole Huawei scandal, and things like "should we allow our homegrown tech companies be bought by foreign investors". It is usally pretty harmless stuff, though they have done some amazing episodes in the past so maybe don't write it off until you see it. weekly show with over 1000 episodes so far...

As they have in the past reported on how the largest entertainment industry currently is gaming they may be focusing on "what should you expect from a $250M budget game" or possibly star citizen in the context of how much trust do you put in a kickstarter/crowdfunded project - and why place this trust - known developers, previous games, etc.

Edited to include second paragraph to explore possible content of show in context.
    Yep.

What might be in the show?

Click is not an "investigative" program; its a tech/gadget focused "magazine" program.

It is about entertainment and since most people i) don't care how long something takes or ii) how much it costs. Not saying that is right just the way it is. They are interested in a) is it available now? if yes b) is it any good and c) how much does it cost. And the program makers know this.

So expect something like:

1. Recently Star Citizen being developed by RSI has been in the news for taking to long and costing to much. 

2. So we thought we would go to their Manchester studios - Shepperton? - to chat to some of the folks at RSI and see what is going on.

3?. They may ask why it wasn't released in 2016 and get an answer along the lines of:
    - we were over optimistic (maybe). 
    - we hoped to be able to expand the team to launch the game earlier based on the initial funding that came in but we learnt that we had to balanced the size of the team with money raised
    - some stuff proved harder than expected.

Whatever RSI say will be edited down into something brief - certainly for the short on air broadcast - because Newsflash: project X in country Y is delayed and needs more money is not news. And this is an entertainment program.

And then:

4. Maybe show some of the stuff being worked on e.g. graphic development - the type of stuff in the monthly features that are produced.

And then:

5. Click try out the game maybe starting with creating a character, a ship, flying, shopping etc.
    And some commentary on what they are doing.

Maybe:
    6? They may also look at Faceware. The Face Over IP tech. Whilst this is not part of Star Citizen it could be linked into a companion piece about Faceware. Click is also a gadget show and Faceware is a gadget!

7? If they go to Shepperton they may also do something about motion / face capture; as I said this is a gadget show. Maybe talk to an actor - could easily be someone at Shepperton filming something - and - maybe - show a trailer for Squandron 42. 

Then finish with something like:

8. And there you have it. If you want to find out more and decide for yourself check out our longer / more in depth coverage at xxxx or go to RSI's website where you can try out the current state of the game for yourself for free.

Just before Christmas.

Anyone like to guess how much this is worth in advertising? Only a few million viewers normally but just before Christmas. With - probably - something on the BBC website.

Huge.

Here is a link -to Click looking at the "controversy" surrounding the latest Call of Duty Modern Warfare 2019. You will not be shocked!

https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/p07sqf25

[Deleted User]
  • LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    I'm foreseeing their explanations for the delays etc as a montage of the features being available. Click isn't an investigative TV Show. All you're getting is a spotlight program that'll be like free advertising for SC lol
    ErillionBabuinix
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member LegendaryPosts: 7,766
    @gervaise1 @Linif Yes exactly, the tone of Click is obvious for anyone who watched it it will just be a superficial take aka "status update" on the project, if like the previous time they'll gain access to their UK studio and do interviews and pretty much it.

Having free exposure towards millions of people with this program (2nd one on SC), is more of a win for the company than anything else, even with a negative tone on the contents.
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    So... is anyone going to actually wait for the show to air before going full retard pro or against SC?
    anemoBabuinixNorseGod[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• anemoanemo Member RarePosts: 1,903
    Iselin said:
    So... is anyone going to actually wait for the show to air before going full retard pro or against SC?
    It is pretty fun to watch people go crazy at StarCitizen and Chronicles of Elyria.
    Babuinix[Deleted User]

Practice doesn't make perfect, practice makes permanent.

"At one point technology meant making tech that could get to the moon, now it means making tech that could get you a taxi."

• ohioastroohioastro Member UncommonPosts: 534
    Iselin said:

Great movie!

IselinBabuinix
  • DaranarDaranar Member UncommonPosts: 392
    edited December 2019
    HeyMarce said:
    As a backer from the begining,  and testing everything, and playing attetion to their last Citizencon... 
    All I can say is:

- Empty worlds
    - Game no playable, only some tiny missions and space tourism 
    - Terrible optimization ( Ive 1080ti)

With That ammount of money... today is fraud.

I don't think you know what fraud is.  Fraud isn't you being disappointed with what you see.  They have a team, offices, and regular updates on progress...and their increasing scope.  Mismanagement?  Sure, there is a fine argument there for just about every crowdfunded game.  It's easy to mismanage when you don't have a single or a few large investors keeping you accountable to schedules, scopes, etc...
    IceAge said:

The same bs about development time keeps coming up. Here are a few crappy games nowhere near the size and scope of this one (subjective):
    Elder Scrolls Online (7 years)
    Fortnite: (6 years)
    Galleon: (7 years)
    L.A. Noire: (7 years)
    Spore: (8 years)
    Too Human : (9 years)
    Team Fortress 2: (9 years)
    Prey: (11 years)
    Diablo III: (11 years)

And the cost - GTA 5 cost 265 million to get it to the market and plenty of ongoing costs since.

..except, all of the above have been made with their own money. That's a very big difference here. If you fail to realize why's that, then i'm not going to be your "wikipedia" source.

Plus, no other game from that list, had the SC budged. 

But don't worry, SC will soon top every game from your list. Wonder what you'll say then. 

"..yes, it has been 15 years since they are working on SC, but the game is biiig, so that's why it hasn't been released yet. People need to have more patience. Give it another 15 years to be released! PS: Game is awesome ( Personal Comment: What Game?! ) . I love it!!!"

None of these games were truly made with 'their own money'.   Blizzard made Diablo 3 on the list.  they have over 2 Billion in debt.  That's money that isn't theirs but from people who believe in their success and lend them the money through loans or bonds.  Sure they have the cash to cover their debt, but debt none the less.  L.A. Noire was not developed by the developers 'own money'.  It was originally funded by Sony and later was finished with funding and publishing from Rockstar (Take Two Interactive) which doesn't fall in with the Blizzard example, because TTWO has very little debt.  Fornite was finished with a lot of money from China.  825 million investment (granted that was to the parent EPIC for other things as well) but none the less not Epic's 'own money' but rather money given to them by people who believed in the vision (and saw dollar signs).  The only difference is this game is funded by people who believed in the vision (and maybe don't vet the company as well) and are expecting a return via entertainment/a product, thus the allure of crowdfunding for all companies in all types of business.  Get the money upfront, interest free without giving up equity.

Also most estimates but SWTOR around $250 million to make.  And consider the scope of that game compared to SC...tiny.   ESO is usually estimated around the same figure too.  And SC budget is really for two games. And don't try to negate it because they will reuse assets like crazy.  It will be two revenue streams; two products.  Plus all these games from big publishers reuse a lot of assets to cut costs.  Hello sports games.
    [Deleted User]

If I want a world in which people can purchase success and power with cash, I'll play Real Life. Keep Virtual Worlds Virtual!

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    cheyane said:
    This is a tech show on tv for normies and boomers.

They're not going to buy a $800 ship to play a tech demo on their $400 PC from Bestbuy.

Furthermore, some politician just isn't going to see this and demand an investigation for fraud either. Get over it.

I wouldn't expect much of anything from this.

Cultists are already calling it a "hatchet job" and "hit piece" ffs lol. It's not even aired yet and they already have a prepared script from the marketing firm. lol

So many assmad replies for something that didn't even happen yet that will amount to nothing when it does happen.

I do enjoy the salt though, even if it's over nothing. I needs my salt. lol

To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • Dr_BinksDr_Binks Member UncommonPosts: 271

xybedout said:

> A BBC tech program, Click, will be looking into just why Star Citizen is taking forever to release.

Err, cause it takes a while to develop a game. Longer or less depending on the scope of it.

The key phrase in your post is "depending on the scope"!

It is impossible to complete anything when you continuously change the scope of said project!

And if I remember correctly this is why CR was removed from management of the game called Freelancer!

What CR is doing is very similar to what a defense contractors do. You continuously make changes so you can continuously ask for more money, and every once in awhile show something with a lot of flashing LED's and a few booms, and then say and if you give us more money we can give you a few BIG booms.

Now you have a lot of people that will bring up a long list of games that took anywhere from 5 to 10+ years to bring them to market, and yes it is true! There is ONE big difference with ALL of these other games. The difference is they used founding of their own with the hope that the game would pay for its self and make profit so they can continue development of others.

What CIG has done is sold a product that dose not exist yet, it is just a concept. This has displace the finical burden of funding the said product on their customer whom have bought the non-exciting product. Every time CIG needs more money they come up with another ship to sell which put more of the burden on the customers and not CIG.

As a customer of RSI I have NO legal recourse if RSI goes under tomorrow! None of us do and CR can just walk away and say "Oh well it did work" 500+ people will be with out work and he can go back to selling used rental cars.

This is what makes all the other games people like to mention different! They do not get money for said game till it goes to market so the have to fund the development out of their own pocket, or get funding from a bank. The studio can then be held accountable by the bank or the CEO, board, or stock holders. This means they HAVE to deliver a product!

RSI, CIG, CR, or SG have NO such accountability WE the customer have willingly gave them money with the HOPE that they will put a game to market. It is our fault! We the customer have given RSI the right to drag this out indefinitely because he ask us if we wanted him to expand and take this as far as he can and we said YES! So here we are looking for a game that may never come!
    GdemamiDaranar
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited December 2019
    >>> It is our fault! >>>

No. It is not our fault. In most cases it was our informed decision. A fact that some people seem to have a serious problem with.

It is crowdfunding. With all the conditions that apply to crowdfunding. For most this is known,  this is understood, this is accepted.

Patience is a virtue. I have waited 15 years for a game as a follow up to Freelancer and Star Wars Galaxies. It will take as long as it takes.

Have fun
  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    Erillion said:
    >>> It is our fault! >>>

No. It is not our fault. In most cases it was our informed decision. A fact that some people seem to have a serious problem with.

It is crowdfunding. With all the conditions that apply to crowdfunding. For most this is known,  this is understood, this is accepted.

Patience is a virtue.

Have fun
    Patience is a virtue?

SC aside, where did you get the idea that patience is a virtue? I really want to understand why you think this.
    Gdemami
    Erillion said:
    >>> It is our fault! >>>

Patience is a virtue.

Have fun
    Patience is a virtue?

SC aside, where did you get the idea that patience is a virtue? I really want to understand why you think this.

A quote from Chaucer in The Canterbury Tales

"Patience is a high virtue... but virtue can hurt you."   ;-) 

Originally its from Piers Plowman, a narrative poem believed to have been written by William Langland between 1360 and 1387. It is similar to the Latin expression, maxima enim, patientia virtus (patience is the greatest virtue).

Have fun
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:
    >>> It is our fault! >>>

Patience is a virtue.

Have fun
    Patience is a virtue?

Originally its from Piers Plowman, a narrative poem believed to have been written by William Langland between 1360 and 1387. It is similar to the Latin expression, maxima enim, patientia virtus (patience is the greatest virtue).

Have fun
    That's why you think patience a virtue? Because someone said it was? Jesus, I was asking why YOU thought it was a virtue. Are you not past Philosophy 101?
    Gdemamisgel
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Erillion said:
    Erillion said:
    >>> It is our fault! >>>

Patience is a virtue.

Have fun
    Patience is a virtue?

Have fun
    That's why you think patience a virtue? Because someone said it was? Jesus, I was asking why YOU thought it was a virtue. Are you not past Philosophy 101?
    Come on... let the guy show off his pseudo-intelligence with a copy/pasta from google :D
    NorseGod

..Cake..

I think its a virtue because my experience in life so far matches that saying and i personally believe it to be correct.

Have fun
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,971
    Erillion said:

I think its a virtue because my experience in life so far matches that saying and i personally believe it to be correct.

Have fun
    As the fact we have an article about an upcoming programme proves, patience is no longer a virtue. Everything the media does, especially social media is about the now. Rest In Peace patience.
    Gdemami
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    Yeah, I'm asking why you believe it to be correct. And I'll admit it's not an easy answer. But I think you should have to express your opinion on it if you use it as a tool to sell an idea.
    Gdemami
    sgel said:
    Come on... let the guy show off his pseudo-intelligence with a copy/pasta from google :D

Some people HAVE read their Chaucer.  ;-)  And their Goethe. And their  孔夫子

The "Piers Plowman" reference is from a Google search, that is correct.  I knew that saying from Chaucer.

Have fun

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    edited December 2019
    Scot said:
    Everything the media does, especially social media is about the now.
    ...that makes a case for more patience rather than it's lack of.

[mod edit]
    Post edited by Vaross on
    ErillionHatefull
    edited December 2019
    Scot said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun
    As the fact we have an article about an upcoming programme proves, patience is no longer a virtue. Everything the media does, especially social media is about the now. Rest In Peace patience.

--> "Rest In Peace patience." .... another opinion. We will see how it holds up to the test of time ... decades, centuries, millenia.

-->  Have fun

Erillion said:
    Scot said:
    Erillion said:

Have fun

--> "Rest In Peace patience." .... another opinion. We will see how it holds up to the test of time ... decades, centuries, millenia.

-->  Have fun

I am going to move on. What you said literally didn't make sense in english.