Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

PC/laptop for the Wife

MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
I have been playing classic wow, and my wife would like to start playing again too.  The issue I have is the POS laptop I bought for her 3 years ago won't play wow. 

Now she wants to keep her desk "clean"  this is why I she insisted on  a laptop.  She does not want a monitor "cluttering" up her desk. 

So I have a few options.  I can try to talk her into a desktop with a monitor.....ugh.

Or I can try to find a laptop on the cheap that will play classic wow reasonably well. 

I found this for $500

I suspect this would work.   Anyone have any options out there that might work?  Anyone try playing classic wow on this and know how it plays?

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

Comments

• BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    edited December 2019
    Wish we had such deals in europe. That laptop would probably cost around 1k here.

It will run wow and even recent games well.

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    I'd expect it to run a lot of games fine.  The two obvious problems with it are:

1)  It leaves a memory channel vacant, which cuts your bandwidth in half.  If you're using a discrete video card, that doesn't matter very much.

2)  If the monitor doesn't say IPS, then it probably isn't.  Most likely it it will be a TN monitor that looks pretty bad.

But you're not going to find a "gaming" laptop for $500 that doesn't have serious drawbacks.  I think it makes sense for your needs.
  • MMOman101MMOman101 Member UncommonPosts: 1,786
    They have one on display near me.  Maybe I will have her check it out.  I fully expect it to be a worse experience and picture then if she just allowed a desktop with monitor.

“It's unwise to pay too much, but it's worse to pay too little. When you pay too much, you lose a little money - that's all. When you pay too little, you sometimes lose everything, because the thing you bought was incapable of doing the thing it was bought to do. The common law of business balance prohibits paying a little and getting a lot - it can't be done. If you deal with the lowest bidder, it is well to add something for the risk you run, and if you do that you will have enough to pay for something better.”

--John Ruskin

• VrikaVrika Member LegendaryPosts: 7,888
    edited December 2019
    If you want you could mount the monitor on wall behind the desk, then get wireless keyboard + mouse that you can move off the desk when not it use.

This only works if you're not planning to use the desk for anything that would make the monitor dirty.