Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Citizen Funding Crosses $250 Million - MMORPG.com

Comments

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Somehow Black Desert Online has amassed $1 Billion in gross sales. That game is garbage. Why are we criticizing Star Citizen for going boldly where no developer has gone before?
    Because plenty of developers have gone there before, on tiny fractions of SC's budget. 
    Erillion

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,502
    edited December 2019
    Babuinix said:
    mcrippins said:
    I'm confused. Been playing this for the last week or so with a friend, and we've been having a good time. I understand that there's a ways to go regarding development, but technically the game is already in a playable state. There are missions to do and ships to fly, and I gotta say, it's a beautiful fkn game.

Shhh... Don't you dare bringing rationality and objectivity into this, you'll ruin the circle jerk. :D
    Haha Babs trying to make himself out as the voice of reason, haha. That's the best joke of the day.

Remember folks, these guys would try and have you believe that a game 8 years in development at the cost of over $300 million with more than 500 people working on it, is still just fine being an alpha.
    They would also have you believe that this alpha has more content than other AAA games, although for some odd reason they never do get around to naming these other games.

RennisaGdemami[Deleted User]BabuinixNorseGod
  • GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,342
    rpmcmurphy said:
    these guys would try and have you believe that a game 8 years in development at the cost of over $300 million with more than 500 people working on it, is still just fine being an alpha.
    ...ehm, what is your basis for thinking it isn't?
    rpmcmurphy
    Gdemami said:
    rpmcmurphy said:
    these guys would try and have you believe that a game 8 years in development at the cost of over $300 million with more than 500 people working on it, is still just fine being an alpha.
      ...ehm, what is you basis for an ashtray being useless on a motorbike?
    Cryomatrix
    Thought so...
    rpmcmurphy
  • nyxiumnyxium Member UncommonPosts: 1,345
    Jesus christ. If you are all so gullible I've got a nice bridge to sell you. The proceeds can go towards my new EVE Online skins. A genuine launched space MMO. 
  • Haki88Haki88 Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Liers and scammers nothing else.
    Gdemami said:
    Thought so...
    Thought what? That the answer is obvious....
    Thought what? That the answer is obvious....
    Indeed it is obvious, hence "thought so" comment....
  • ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    edited December 2019
    Congratulations to a new record. It is over 252 already since then ;-)

Despite what some people claim, Star Citizen gets better every month. Does it take longer than expected? Yes. Does it cost more than expected ? Yes.  A fate it shares with a lot of other computer games in development.

Do i personally enjoy it, even now in Alpha version?  A definite yes.

Can people check it out for free themselves during free fly events and make their own decision, without paying anything?  Yes.

Can they just buy a basic package (around 50 Euros) and get all the stuff in game with in game money only, with no need to pay more than a basic package, with everything else being voluntary contributions to the crowdfunding campaign?  Yes.

Can they just wait until development is finished and then buy it, only trying the free versions until then - also flying a lot of ships and vehicles (90 so far) for free?  Yes.

Can you have fun in Star Citizen Alpha?  Yes.

Have fun

Post edited by Erillion on
    boris20WalkinGlenn
  • BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 4,265
    edited December 2019
     rpmcmurphy said:
    Remember folks, these guys would try and have you believe that a game 8 years in development at the cost of over $300 million with more than 500 people working on it, is still just fine being an alpha.
    They would also have you believe that this alpha has more content than other AAA games, although for some odd reason they never do get around to naming these other games.
    As an Elite:Dangerous fanboy you should be aware of how difficult it is to do the game that is Star Citizen, specialy considering that most of the features it already has are still just a pipedream for Elite.

Also, the fact that despite all these years no other game comes close to provide the gameplay of Star Citizen has right now. That alone should be enough to any disbeliever or hater but ofc you would need a little bit of insight and know how about game development.

I guess all these threads show is that most posters dont care about technicalities or game development per se and all the ignorant venting just fades away as reality set's in. Still worth to revisit this in a year or two.  B)
    Post edited by Babuinix on
    GdemamirpmcmurphyWalkinGlenn[Deleted User]
    edited December 2019
    Babuinix said:
    As an Elite:Dangerous fanboy you should be aware of how difficult it is to do the game that is Star Citizen, specialy considering that most of the features it already has fact are just a pipedream fro elite. Also, despite all these years, no game comes close to provide the gameplay of Star Citizen should be enough but ofc you would need a little bit of insight and know how about game development.

I guess all these threads show is that most posters dont care about technicalities or game development per se and all the ignorant venting just fades away as reality set's in. Still worth to revisit this in a year or two.  B)
    Haha falling back on that old tired lie are you Babs.

You know I'm not an Elite fanboy, you know I very rarely post in that forum and you know I never spam pics and videos like a real fanbout such as you. So if I was a fanboy I'm doing a really poor job of whiteknighting wouldn't you say?

1300 concurrency, $300+ million, 8+ years, 500+ devs and still a janky buggy mess but according to you, it's all fine and business as usual and best gaem evah!!
    [Deleted User]
  • hyllyhhyllyh Member UncommonPosts: 477
    edited December 2019
    WITH YOUR $$

• olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,829
    Based on the teaser shots and trailer videos, Star Citizen could be a great game if they ever actually release something.

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

• ErillionErillion Member EpicPosts: 10,297
    olepi said:
    Based on the teaser shots and trailer videos, Star Citizen could be a great game if they ever actually release something.
    If only you could test it FOR FREE  and check out all the 90 ships and vehicles they released as flyable/drivable so far in the Star Citizen Alpha ?!  

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Between 24th November and 5th December you can test-fly and test-drive 90 different ships and vehicles for free.

I look forward to check out a few ships i have never flown before. Especially the Aegis Hammerhead.

What would be your ship of choice to test fly ?

Have fun

Read more at https://forums.mmorpg.com/discussion/485507/star-citizen-test-flying-driving-90-different-ships-vehicles-for-free#YfKUpxtLih3qURCk.99

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Have fun

edited December 2019
    Arterius said:
    Babuinix said:
     rpmcmurphy said:
    As an Elite:Dangerous fanboy you should be aware of how difficult it is to do the game that is Star Citizen, specialy considering that most of the features it already has are still just a pipedream for Elite.

Also, the fact that despite all these years no other game comes close to provide the gameplay of Star Citizen has right now. That alone should be enough to any disbeliever or hater but ofc you would need a little bit of insight and know how about game development.

If this game had as much content as you and other claim then why don't they release the game right now. Just explain to backers and people  that they have held back the game enough and that the other features will come down the line in free content updates. I will tell you. It's because they aren't stupid.

As soon as the game releases the game is a reality, it is no longer a promise. They also couldn't charge so much for ships and the like because the internet would lose its mind in P2W talks. They can make way more money by never releasing the game and pushing it back forever because a few thousand people will constantly funnel money forever.

Look I am glad people are having fun and they feel like they got there money's worth and I know that I am a nobody. I shouldn't be telling me people what they should spend there hard earned money on. So I try not too but whats crazy to me is that people will do that and then come here defending this game to the moon when the game was supposed to come out in 2015 and then 2016. Now its god knows when but hey evidently some single player game is supposed to come out soon. However, who knows if that will get pushed back again as well.
    Just like it's not up to you to decide how other people should spend their money it's not up to you to decide when a company should release their game.

Sure you're eager to play a game like this, there's a playable alpha since 2014.

Have no interest in testing games? Sure no problem. Forget it then. If you love the idea of this game  but aren't patient or knowledgable and mature enough to handle the wait just keep doing what you've done. Simple.

That's the easy part, waiting. If there wasn't Star Citizen or if it was being developed in secrecy behind doors like most games you would still be waiting and dreaming of a company that would go for it.

So it's not really the game and company who have to change anything but impatient gamers and their mindset.  ;)
    [Deleted User]
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited December 2019
    Arterius said:
    Gdemami said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Now, imo, SC is and always will be "content light". Its snot a WoW or ESO PvE. In concept is is an Eve type game.
    ...implying EVE being anything resembling "content light" is gross ignorance.
    I may not agree with alot but when you are right you're right. Truer words have never been spoken
    In context folks!

EVE is a not a "quest based game " and to suggest otherwise is painting EVE as something it is not.  It has aspirations these days, PvE stuff is being added, but EVE is not WoW in space. And it that context it is "content light".

I used ESO on both sides of the "equation" above - ESO being raised in another thread. ESO PvE oozes content out of every pore - you can spend all your time,on rails, going from quest to quest. ESO PvP though has almost no "content". You can spend all your time doing PvP in ESO though and - arguably - having more "fun" than doing PvE. Which just goes to remind us that different people like different stuff - they may even like both types.

And its in that context that Eve is "content light".

Such games - EVE, The Sims, BF etc. rely on "systems". Systems which empower players to "do stuff". EVE empowers players. And EVE has been empowering people in an exemplary fashion for many years. Which is why it hasn't had to rely on expansions every quarter / 6 months / year / 2 years.

Now if you still want to disagree fine - but you might want to do a "content" check against EQ1, EQ2, WoW, LotR, SWToR, ESO PvE ..... 

Post edited by gervaise1 on
    Agent_JosephCryomatrix
    Arterius said: 
    I think I have the answer to if Star Citizen backers are delusional 
    I think your response ilustrates my stance perfectly. Game development is not for everyone and that's ok.
    Gdemamialkarionlog
  • rertezrertez Member UncommonPosts: 230
    Babuinix said:
     rpmcmurphy said:

I'm not an ED player nor an ED expert but I do know that ED's been successfully aiming for a much broader audience and that comes with compromises. I mean the game can be played on an old $150 hardware, an XBox One. It's also available on any PS4 including the 2013 version. It not only runs on low end hardware but the game itself has been very affordable too with frequent sales. Right now it's on sale for 10€ on the Playstation store and the Steam version is less than 7€. Let's not judge the publisher for not spending hundreds of millions on endless development then... They've been doing alright on various platforms and with users on even low end hardware. Apparently they have different priorities and we can't really blame them for that.
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Gdemami said:
    rpmcmurphy said:
    Every other game released with a fraction of the budget, fraction of the time and fraction of the devs...

So pretty much EVERY VIDEO GAME released EVER.
    NorseGodGdemamialkarionlog

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    edited December 2019
    Rhoklaw said:
    Nilden said:
    Gdemami said:
    rpmcmurphy said:
    Every other game released with a fraction of the budget, fraction of the time and fraction of the devs...

But this isn't just your ordinary every day game, now is it? Clearly Mr. Roberts knows no bounds when it comes to gaming innovation! He won't stop till he figures out a way to implement some TRON level virtual reality shit.
    It is still a game. It is not a movie where they pay actors big bucks. 

Mr. Roberts, pardon me, needs be be reigned in or this game will never get out. One can only move a goal line so many times. 

I mean GW2 is said to have cost 15 million to push out. Starting at the same time GW2 came out, it is 10X more money and still one gets, want to buy a pixel ship for cash? It seems to me, Mr. Roberts ego is going way out.
    Erillionalkarionlog

• BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 7,254
    botrytis said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Nilden said:
    Gdemami said:
    rpmcmurphy said:

But this isn't just your ordinary every day game, now is it? Clearly Mr. Roberts knows no bounds when it comes to gaming innovation! He won't stop till he figures out a way to implement some TRON level virtual reality shit.

Mr. Roberts, pardon me, needs be be reigned in or this game will never get out. One can only move a goal line so many times. 
    I used to think that was true. But I think they have the big spenders right where they want them. The goalposts have been so ridiculously moved so many times that I think we have crossed over into the faith region where people WANT to believe.
    botrytisalkarionlog
  • botrytisbotrytis Member RarePosts: 3,363
    botrytis said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Nilden said:
    Gdemami said:
    rpmcmurphy said:

I used to think that was true. But I think they have the big spenders right where they want them. The goalposts have been so ridiculously moved so many times that I think we have crossed over into the faith region where people WANT to believe.
    I totally agree with that assessment.
    alkarionlog

Nilden said:

SWTOR, Destiny, GTA V, CODMW2....

AAA games are expensive shit.
    alkarionlog
    edited December 2019
    botrytis said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Nilden said:
    Gdemami said:
    rpmcmurphy said:

2 games actually, seems Squadron 42 always gets forgoten and yes, there are big actors involved.

In fact, it has probably the biggest and most awarded cast ever involved a video-game.

alkarionlogErillion