Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bored of WoW is Daoc a option ?

Ive played WoW from the begining of retail and have 2 lvl 60's on daggerspine and a new char on kalecgos which is a lvl 40. I was playing today when I started to realize the game gets pretty boring after a couple of months and decided to quit the game insted of making countless 60's over and over out of lack of end game content. I heard from many people that the PvP in daoc is the best out there and was thinking of giving it a try, but what i was wondering is, is the 14 day trial enough time to lvl up to 15-20 or so and try out pvp, or is it just kind of a wast of time trying the trial. Also if i decide I like the game is there any way i could buy daoc and catacombs and use those cd keys to activate the trial account or would i have to start all over with a new character? My last question was does the trial include catacombs, if not would the graphics improve at all if i bought catacombs?

Comments

• Tibberon26Tibberon26 Member Posts: 34

I played DAoC for 2 years from early release till Trials of Atlantis.  The game is definately worth trying out for 14 days.  If you do decide to stick with it I'd advise buying the game plus catacombs expansion.  All those good things you heard about the PvP system are true.  The system is almost flawless with the exception of a few balance issues but there's ways to work around em using a bit of strategy.  Mythic recently added "classic" servers which allow players to enjoy the glory days of DAoC back when the frontier zones were flooded with lvl 20's and still-not sure about this-provide the nice graphics of catacombs.  Depending on what class you choose you can probably make lv 15 within the 14 days. 

Here's a good site with a few links listed if that helps also:

http://www.darkageofcamelot.com/fansites/

• LasastardLasastard Member Posts: 604

DAoC is much less noob friendly than WoW. Although much has been improved during the last patches to make the low level game moe interesting. An it defentitly has a better long-term motivation then WoW. The PvP is much better and more complex then this Quake-3-Arena style of WoW. In DAoC you have really meaningfull and challenging fights.
    This, however, is something that you can not test during your trial time, I guess. At least not the High end pvp. But there are battlegrounds, where low level player can compete against each other - still nothing compared with the "real" stuff ;)

I'd say give it a try - and if you are going to play on the US servers you should start on either Lamorac or one of the other classic servers, because there you will find enough low level players to group with (those servers were opened recently).

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

If you decide to try it, and you want to level as quickly as possible (the grind method):

1. Get the both of optional downloads.

2. Do the newbie tutorial to get a free level, learn how to walk around, ect. But when you appear on the mainland, don't bother to talk to the person that you appaer in front of. Instead look around for a glowing magical gate and head through that (to the Shadow Isles).

3. When you get to the shadow isles, look for your trainer. Just run around till you see a guy that has the glowey yellow under his feet. Do whatever he tells you to (why? To get coin to buy a better weapon, the one you start with bites and your level 1 quests gives you enough coin to buy a weapon that will let you be a screaming ass kicker all the way to level five or six). At the end of a the quest look around for a weapon merchant that sells whatever weapon you use (unless you are a caster, then skip this step). Buy whatever weapon you like, but no better than orange (that's all you can affor anyhow).

4. Now it's time to get "Kill tasks" from the named gaurds. Make this macro to make it easier

"/macro Task /whisper task"

This will make a button called "Task" that you can put on your hotbar (I like to put it at the top of the secpond hotbar).

Run up to the named gaurds, select them, and hit your new macro. Eventually one will say "kill a Mob X to the Southwest" (or whatever direction) Until you learn your way around, head off in whatverer direction the gaurd tells you and kill the first of Mob X you see. Then run back and talk to the gaurd. You will get massive XP and a bit of coin. You don't have to go in the direction the gaurd tells you, and once you know your way around better there will generally be specimens of Mob X you can take down a lot closer than where the gaurd sends you.

5. Every time you level go and talk to your trainer. Unfortunately there is no easy way to decide what skills you want, it's pretty much research or trial and error. You can ask around on newbie guild chat about what skill are popular (if you like), but many perfectly viable builds aren't popular. The trainer will keep giving you quests. Eventually he will give you a quests to meet all the trainers for the subclasses that you have will have open at level 5 (you need to meet these guys so you will know where to find your new trainer when you hit five).

6. Keep doing kill tasks, and you will level like crazy. I did this with my most recent new toon, and I hit 15 in under 8 hours played. You can easilly hit 20 your first week with this method. Keep talking to your trainer every time you level because about every three levels they will give a you a quests that rewards you with a really nice item. Every once in a while they will also be like "Hot damn you are a stud, have a kickass weapon" and it will appear in your inventory.

Note that if you actually buy catacombs, you can level almost as qucikly doing things that are a lot more fun than kill tasks. For example, you could head in to the capital city of whatever realm you're in, look for the entrance to the low level dungean area, and takes quests. This is fun and very rewarding (lots of free gear, the zones are very pretty).

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.

• ElnatorElnator Member Posts: 6,077

I've often thought about going back but unfortunately when I left I gave my account to a guildie and he created a bunch of toons on it so when I decided to come back he wouldn't fork it back over.

Last time I EVER got rid of an account in any MMO. I keep 'em now.

But, anyway, since I don't have the urge to re-grind my characters I won't be going back. But yes DAOC is definitely worth a look if you're growing bored with WoW. EQ2 is as well and I'd even recommend taking a peak at AC1.

Currently Playing: Dungeons and Dragons Online.
    Sig image Pending
    Still in: A couple Betas

• lewllewl Member Posts: 86

they have account spliting now..

• BobiinBobiin Member Posts: 198

Get the trial, then get to cats.

I got to level 40 with my free trial without playing too much.

Cheers!

--Nyture, Arc Convoker of fironia vie server (EQ) --Retired--
    -- Nytur 39 Conjuror of Lucan D'lere (Quit due to low populations)
    -- Currently playing WoW while waiting for vanguard
    Explorer 66%
    Socializer 60%
    Killer 53%
    Achiever 20%

PLEASE SOE MAKE A CLASSIC EQ SERVER. Shadow of luclin was a prick in EQs side. PoP Was a gun to the face.

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991
    DAoC is a much better game than WoW IMO. definately worth a shot. however i would buy the catacombs expansion if you try it. the trial doesn't really show you the current state of the game.image

Joined - July 2004

• RITBeastRITBeast Member Posts: 17

Quick Question:

What exactly does Catacombs provide beyond what we see in the trial. Obviously the extra dungeon in each Capital city, but what beyond that?

• lewllewl Member Posts: 86

its not just the dugeaon. Its actuall several extra dungeons and 5 new zones per realm. It also gives insta dugeons that are good for leveling fast. since there aren't as many low level players around to group with you need these to solo easier. And there are lost of quests that you can do again to help make leveling possible.Otherwise it would be more of a grind.

• YeeboYeebo Member UncommonPosts: 1,361

Also, five new classes. And a system where you can farm instances for Aureolite to buy pretty decent gear.

I don't want to write this, and you don't want to read it. But now it's too late for both of us.