Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

what games did you beat in 2019?

ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,832
Since I have a 1 year old, i work alot, and I have a wife I have beat all the games I will this year. Def with Thanksgiving tomorrow and Christmas fast approaching. So I thought I would start a discussion on what games we beat this year with a review score to go along with it. As I do this every year on my own anyway.

1. Warhammer Chaosbane- 4/10

2. Fallout 76 4/10

3. Anthem-6/10

4. Borderlands- 9/10

5. The Zombie Island of Doctor Ned-8/10

6. Detroit Become Human 9/10

7. Control-8/10

8. Catherine Full Body-10/10

9. The Secret Armory of General Noxx- 7/10

10. Gears of War 4- 9/10

11. Ghost Recon:Breakpoint 9/10

Anyway. Hope you guys have a safe Thanksgiving tomorrow
Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox One X)

Currently Reading: Skaven Slayer (Gotrek and Felix Book 2)

Currently Writing: Champions of Legend Book 1 (3rd Draft)

Currently Watching: Oz (Season 4), Soprano's (Season 1)

Palebane

Comments

• Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,825
    ...Probably not a single one...

Too much time spent on MMO's...
    Po_ggPalebane

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 6,228
    edited November 2019
    I will probably finally finish up my latest modded Skyrim run (#3 this year) before the end of the year. This current character is the highest level I have yet achieved: 86. I'm pretty much done with stories and just finishing up a few odds and ends now. Unsure about the Frost Giant fight ;)

I'm on my third XCom 2: WotC playthrough this year. This should also finish up before January.

I also finished (again) Fallout 3 and New Vegas this year.

Nothing new (gamewise) finished, though. I do hope get myself into Pathfinder: Kingmaker, ATOM: RPG, Pillars of Eternity series, Stellaris, and/or the Divinity: Original Sin series soon, like before January rolls around. Definitely not finishing any of those before year's end ;)
    Palebane

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,002
    Not all games can be beat, including all MMOGs (unless you mean it ironically).  That stated, this year I won Distance and Massive Chalice.
    AlBQuirky

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• bonzoso21bonzoso21 Member UncommonPosts: 362
    Red Dead Redemption 2
    Spider-Man PS4
    Life Is Strange
    The Room 2
    Bulletstorm
    Valley
    Tacoma
    Battle Chasers: Nightwar
    Celeste

Not sure I can put a number on a scale for all these games, but suffice it to say that I liked every one of them for what they are, be it a 200 hour epic world I got lost in or a few hours of puzzle solving. 

I spent quite awhile with Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning before putting it down, and am currently once again making progress in Zelda: Breath of the Wild after putting that down a couple times. I also played a few games of Civ 6.

There's a lot of games passing me by since I reactivated my WoW sub a couple years back, which sucks and is always the main reason I cancel my MMO subs every so often. 
    AlBQuirky
    bonzoso21 said:
    Red Dead Redemption 2
    Spider-Man PS4
    Life Is Strange
    The Room 2
    Bulletstorm
    Valley
    Tacoma
    Battle Chasers: Nightwar
    Celeste

Not sure I can put a number on a scale for all these games, but suffice it to say that I liked every one of them for what they are, be it a 200 hour epic world I got lost in or a few hours of puzzle solving. 

I spent quite awhile with Kingdoms of Amalur: Reckoning before putting it down, and am currently once again making progress in Zelda: Breath of the Wild after putting that down a couple times. I also played a few games of Civ 6.

There's a lot of games passing me by since I reactivated my WoW sub a couple years back, which sucks and is always the main reason I cancel my MMO subs every so often. 
    I'd be curious to read your 500 words on Valley.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 5,889
    edited November 2019
    Anthem -
    10/10 combat and customization trapped in a 3/10 game

I'm not going to consider this a worst game of 2019, but rather a most disappointing. Fragments of a great game are absolutely there.

Devil May Cry 5 -
    9/10

The combat and polish are so far above its aged predecessors, but the dodging still isn't as responsive or effective as I'd like.

It's no NieR Automata, which I'd consider to be a gold standard for this genre.

Music is a mixed bag. If everything were on par with Devil Trigger, this would be a 10/10 soundtrack. Unfortunately, Dante's music is a marked step down from prior games, and V's music is straight up DmC reboot Combichrist trash.

Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 -
    6/10

I've gotten more than my money's worth of entertainment, but this game has huge, glaring flaws that its predecessors didn't. It feels rushed in so many regards. Also, Gambit when?

Fire Emblem Three Houses -
    11/10

Crimson Flower Path only. I'm currently on my second playthrough on the Verdant Wind Path and intentionally slowing down on other paths to play alongside dlc.

Straight up the best game in my favorite franchise. A masterpiece of a strategy RPG with some of the best music, narrative, characters, and mechanics I've ever experienced. If history doesn't remember this game, fuck history.

Need to go back and finish some games. Octopath, XC2, Spiderman, and NieR being the big ones.
    Post edited by Aeander on
    AlBQuirky

A satisfying first-person adventure that tells a compelling story--through the use of well-acted audiologs ala BioShock--about a mystical valley hidden deep in the mountains of the US and the military exploitation of its power. A prototype exoskeleton discovered early in the game gives your character immense speed and jumping capabilities, so gameplay often feels like a first-person Sonic the Hedgehog. There's some light combat and puzzle solving thrown in for variety, but this game is all about telling its story through exploration, although the moment to moment fun of zipping around at breakneck speed and soaring through the air ensures this game will never be classified as a walking simulator. You'll also upgrade your exosuit along the way, providing new abilities that make it possible to reach areas you couldn't reach before, adding a slight MetroidVania element. 

I only have two minor criticisms of the game. There are tons of collectibles hidden around the world, and I am the type of player who always has to check around that corner over there to pick up every last thing I can find. This often compelled me to break my momentum and stop moving fast, which takes away from the main gameplay hook. This is definitely a personal problem and may not apply to you. I also feel like the great storyline would've been even more impactful if there were an element of player-choice involved. As it is, this game is telling its story and you're just along for the ride.

The game is available on pretty much every platform including Switch, which is nice. I think I paid under $10 for it on sale. I'd definitely recommend it if it sounds like something you'd enjoy.

PhaserlightAlBQuirky
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,206
    ...Probably not a single one...

Too much time spent on MMO's...
    Pretty much this for me too... (plus I don't beat games, I play them :) )

Honestly, I doubt I've even bought a new game this year. Got a few older ones though. And besides MMORPGs, those older ones picked up my remaining playtime.

Was a long year, what I can remember on:
    I've replayed Gobliiins (saw an article about it, and got into the mood :) ), the Park, Vice City (so probably next year I'll replay SA, I used to alternate those two over the years, the two best GTAs imo), and had an unfinished run on Jagged Alliance 2.

Beyond that, mostly just my good old MMORPGs.
    AlBQuirkyAzaron_Nightblade
  • nate1980nate1980 Member UncommonPosts: 1,939
    Bioshock: 9/10
    Bioshock Infinite: 9/10
    Diablo :4/10 (Not sure why this game was listed near the top of metacritic for all-time best games.)
    Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order 9/10

Bioshock series elicited the largest emotional reactions. Star Wars had me thinking about the game days after I beat it and wanting DLC or a sequel because the gameplay was so engaging.

The rest of the year was wasted on WoW and WoW Classic. I do mean wasted. Rerolled in FF14 and played a new character up to current expansion content, bought the expansion, and still haven't started it.  

AlBQuirky
    bonzoso21 said:

A satisfying first-person adventure that tells a compelling story--through the use of well-acted audiologs ala BioShock--about a mystical valley hidden deep in the mountains of the US and the military exploitation of its power. A prototype exoskeleton discovered early in the game gives your character immense speed and jumping capabilities, so gameplay often feels like a first-person Sonic the Hedgehog. There's some light combat and puzzle solving thrown in for variety, but this game is all about telling its story through exploration, although the moment to moment fun of zipping around at breakneck speed and soaring through the air ensures this game will never be classified as a walking simulator. You'll also upgrade your exosuit along the way, providing new abilities that make it possible to reach areas you couldn't reach before, adding a slight MetroidVania element. 

I only have two minor criticisms of the game. There are tons of collectibles hidden around the world, and I am the type of player who always has to check around that corner over there to pick up every last thing I can find. This often compelled me to break my momentum and stop moving fast, which takes away from the main gameplay hook. This is definitely a personal problem and may not apply to you. I also feel like the great storyline would've been even more impactful if there were an element of player-choice involved. As it is, this game is telling its story and you're just along for the ride.

The game is available on pretty much every platform including Switch, which is nice. I think I paid under $10 for it on sale. I'd definitely recommend it if it sounds like something you'd enjoy.

Very cool!

I'm sure I will go back to it at some point.  I think it may have been part of the 32-bit-apocalypse of Steam on Mac, but I appreciated it was available for the platform ahead of Catalina.

The intro was stunning, but I was ambivalent about the sharp left turn the gameplay took after 10 minutes or so.  The old-WW2-manufactured aptly named L.E.A.F. suit with amazing post-Star-Trek-like powers was a weird combination, although possibly intentionally so?

I think it may be a ball-rolling game in disguise, which isn't doing the first 20 minutes or so I experienced justice and a literal ball rolling game (Gooball by Ambrosia Software) is among my favorite video games of all time.

This feels like... possibly an evolution of that?  At any rate, thanks for confirming it's something worth a deep dive.
    bonzoso21PalebaneAlBQuirky

• sumdumguy1sumdumguy1 Member RarePosts: 1,344
    Well since everyone here is lying, I will take care of the elephant in the room.  Everyone beat themselves in solo mode.  From what I've heard, the replayability is endless.   :p
    PalebaneAlBQuirky
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    Let's see,

AC:  Black Flag - 10/10
    AC:  Origins - 6/10

Grim Dawn - 11/10

Battletech - 2/10

Dying Light - 9/10

TW:  Warhammer II - 9/10

The Division - 9/10

Huh, I just realize that I really enjoyed most of the games I chose to play this year.

But outside of that, I didn't play a lot of Single Player Games.  I played Overwatch, World of Tanks, World of Warships, a metric shit-ton of Magic Arena, EVE online... and that's about it.
    AlBQuirky
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    AlBQuirky said:
    I will probably finally finish up my latest modded Skyrim run (#3 this year) before the end of the year. This current character is the highest level I have yet achieved: 86. I'm pretty much done with stories and just finishing up a few odds and ends now. Unsure about the Frost Giant fight ;)

I'm on my third XCom 2: WotC playthrough this year. This should also finish up before January.

I also finished (again) Fallout 3 and New Vegas this year.

Nothing new (gamewise) finished, though. I do hope get myself into Pathfinder: Kingmaker, ATOM: RPG, Pillars of Eternity series, Stellaris, and/or the Divinity: Original Sin series soon, like before January rolls around. Definitely not finishing any of those before year's end ;)

pathfinder is on discount on steam till 3 december, so it a good time as any, also, after you start the pathfinder you will spend a month on it so, if you want a qick and cheap play to end faster, go for atom and divinity
    AlBQuirky
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
    bonzoso21 said:

Very cool!

I'm sure I will go back to it at some point.  I think it may have been part of the 32-bit-apocalypse of Steam on Mac, but I appreciated it was available for the platform ahead of Catalina.

The intro was stunning, but I was ambivalent about the sharp left turn the gameplay took after 10 minutes or so.  The old-WW2-manufactured aptly named L.E.A.F. suit with amazing post-Star-Trek-like powers was a weird combination, although possibly intentionally so?

I think it may be a ball-rolling game in disguise, which isn't doing the first 20 minutes or so I experienced justice and a literal ball rolling game (Gooball by Ambrosia Software) is among my favorite video games of all time.

This feels like... possibly an evolution of that?  At any rate, thanks for confirming it's something worth a deep dive.
    The game is certainly a mashup of ideas and mechanics, no single one of which is masterfully executed but when put together and combined with the unique story, I found that I had enjoyed my time with it. I liked the idea that the suit is essentially powered by the life of the world around it, even granting the character personal immortality at the expense of the living things in his vicinity when he dies. You have the ability to both take and restore life to the trees and creatures around you to maintain suit power without causing the valley to completely fall into ruin. Interesting stuff.
    PhaserlightPalebaneAlBQuirky
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 3,930
    edited November 2019
    I beat Age of Wonders: Planetfall about nine times, Choice of Robots twice, and almost to the end of Doom 3 BFG Edition. And almost max level (950) on my first guardian in Destiny 2.

All 10s
    AlBQuirkyAzaron_Nightblade

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• DafAtRandomDafAtRandom Member UncommonPosts: 93
    I typically play older games but not always.

Beaten this year

Persona 5 (PS4) 9/10
    Ar No Surge (PS3) 4/10 as a RPG, 8/10 as a visual novel...there's very little gameplay there.
    Final Fantasy Tactics Advance (GBA) 5/10
    Recettear (PC) 9/10
    Brigandine Grand Edition (PS1) 10/10

May Beat Before the End of the Year

Dragon Quest XI (PS4) 4/10 (Can't find the will to play anymore...what a disappointment that game is for me...it's just a collection of all the previous DQ games I've played before).
    Brigandine Grand Edition (PS1) 10/10 (Another playthrough...I love that game that much).
    Etrian Odyssey (NDS) 6/10 A bit disappointed with that game, far from the best dungeon crawler I've played.
    AlBQuirky
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 3,647
    DMCV - 7.5, still better then 4 though.

Doki Doki Literature Club - 8.5, don’t read up on it, just play it through. Its on Steam for free, don’t be fooled by its looks.

Besides that I spend countless hours in DQXI, LotRO, FFXIV, Remnant, D3, PoE and Remnant. None were actually finished though. Ohh, and a bit of SC and tons of Switch games.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

AlBQuirky
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,634
    Arterius said:
    Since I have a 1 year old, i work alot, and I have a wife I have beat...
    I thought this was going to be a terrible thread.
    ArteriusAlBQuirkyAeander
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 5,889
    NorseGod said:
    Arterius said:
    Since I have a 1 year old, i work alot, and I have a wife I have beat...
    I thought this was going to be a terrible thread.
    Remember guys, commas matter.  :D
    ArteriusAlBQuirky
  • klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,755
    AC Origins
    RDR 2
    Zelda BotW

"PSA: We live in a multicultural world. Nobody is "forcing" diversity. Earth is already Diverse."

"Everything that happens is a political act, and the only people that get to pretend otherwise are those privileged enough to not have politics impact them at all." ~Taliesin

"What does it mean to be human? In a time when people's humanity is perennially called into question?"
    - Dr. Cornell West

Currently: Games Audio Engineer
    You've heard what I've heard

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,601
    I haven't really finished any games this year as the games I've been playing don't really have an "end."

Outward - still playing
    Skyrim/Morrowind still playing

I've set aside a few games so I can concentrate on my own little skyrim project.

I made the decision that I SHOULD finish Vampire the Masquerade as I've started it many times but only ever made it to finding Bertram Tung in the oil container. I've played through the Hotel part so many times I'm going to need my own therapy to get over that.

So this past Thanksgiving weekend i binge played it. I've gotten much farther!
    PalebaneAlBQuirky
  • PalebanePalebane Member RarePosts: 3,930
    Sovrath said:
    I made the decision that I SHOULD finish Vampire the Masquerade as I've started it many times but only ever made it to finding Bertram Tung in the oil container. I've played through the Hotel part so many times I'm going to need my own therapy to get over that.

I need to try that game with something besides Nosferatu for once, lol.
    SovrathArteriusAlBQuirky

Vault-Tec analysts have concluded that the odds of worldwide nuclear armaggeddon this decade are 17,143,762... to 1.

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,601
    edited December 2019
    Palebane said:
    Sovrath said:

Yeah, from what I've read, playing Nosferatu is a huge challenge. Honestly, I think it would be a lot of fun if done with patience.

It's as if the game becomes the ultimate stealth game.

Additionally, I've found that there are still bugs that need to be dealt with like the Elevator in the Skyline Apartments. And a security panel in the same building, 6th floor. 
    AlBQuirky
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,206
    edited December 2019
    Sovrath said:
    Yeah, from what I've read, playing Nosferatu is a huge challenge. Honestly, I think it would be a lot of fun if done with patience.

It's as if the game becomes the ultimate stealth game.
    Not just nosfers, if you have time it's the best to play it through at least 3 more times after the more "general" runs: nosfer for the hiding in shadow, sneaky side of the game, ventrue for the domination side, and malkav just for the crazy fun - and of course for the option of merging the twins.

All of those are like different games, in the case of nosfer and malkav quite literally (fully replaced dialogues and options, different areas), for ventrues the vastly different options and solutions.
    SovrathAmathe
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 6,228
    Palebane said:
    Sovrath said:

That's a game I need to finish, myself. I've started it a number of times (not Nosferatu) but never got very far.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR