Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

OPINION: Google Stadia Is A Joke

Comments

• Slapshot1188Slapshot1188 Member LegendaryPosts: 16,985
    Quizzical said:
    As the "News Editor" I assume that your responsibilities include determining what "news" is published and the context it is given.   Just do not be a mouthpiece for companies that fit the criteria you listed above.  Posting an editorial after a game has launched 5 years late, with half it's features missing is not very helpful.  Share that skepticism along the journey, from initial pitch with crazy timeline, to the size of the budget, to crazy list of features,  etc...

Maybe you are/will be doing this.  If so then I applaud you!  But again, if you are NOT doing that and just acting as a PR arm for these same companies and then you later have an editorial and call them a joke...  Not very helpful.

I just ask that you keep that in mind as you frame the news.

The article is clearly labeled as opinion.  Plenty of supposedly respectable news sources (and I don't just mean gaming-related) wouldn't even do that much.
    With all due respect I think you lost the context of that post. I’m advocating for MORE filtering of what is passed off as “news”.  I don’t need to see countless “news” articles which are cut and paste from the emailed PR of a company followed by an option piece AFTER launch saying how bad something is. News is not opinion, true enough, but it also is not simply acting as the PR arm for companies/products that fit the criteria Shank listed in his responses here.  

I for one want to see less fluff and more digging into reality. Contrary to some thoughts, you can actually have news that digs deeper than cut and paste fluff from a company selling a product.  For instance, it would be perfectly valid for a news article to question the validity of a developer’s claims that they can make a revolutionary mmorpg in 2 years with $900k. This can be done by referencing prior product timelines and budgets and reaching out to the developer for clarification. If no response is received,that can also be listed in the article as is done by most news sites “We reached out to xyz for comment but have not heard back yet”.  It can also be referenced when posting “news” about sales such as “To date xyz has raised $8M.  Their original proposal was to complete the game for $900k by 2016.  Their official status today is Pre-Alpha”.   Those would be FACTS, not opinion... and would add context to “news”.

And opinion pieces?  Hell yeah let’s have more of em!  And let’s have them throughout a game’s development cycle. Pro and con. I’d even love for there to be a regular feature where 2 preople give their opinions on the same game in development.  One Pro and one Con.  Let’s bring back some lively discussions to this site!

GdemamiGobstopper3D

All time classic  MY NEW FAVORITE POST!  (Keep laying those bricks)

"I should point out that no other company has shipped out a beta on a disc before this." - Official Mortal Online Lead Community Moderator

Proudly wearing the Harbinger badge since Dec 23, 2017. 

Coined the phrase "Role-Playing a Development Team" January 2018

"Oddly Slap is the main reason I stay in these forums." - Mystichaze April 9th 2018

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    edited November 2019
    Meh. I have had zero issues at all with Stadia along with many others in the Reddit. And that is over WiFi as well ( recommended to use 5ghz and not 2.4ghz ).

I have never been one to think that a streaming service would be good. Onlive no good , Shadow no good , PSNow worst , XCloud has the games but the input lag is noticable ( still excited for it though ). Stadia has been the only one I have tried that has worked really really well.

What people forget is that Stadia will be a free platform. Buy a game and play it. You won't need anything extra unless you want to pay for the Pro Tier which is pretty much the same as PSPlus and Live.

I am looking forward to seeing what happens in the next year even. Devs right now aren't using it to it's fullest but just porting over. I think Farm Simulator will be the first to not just be a tweaked port.

Edit : To clear up something. Once XCloud releases it will not be included in gamepass for the same price. There will be a tier that includes XCloud but for more.
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    edited November 2019
    Thank God you didn't write "Stadia sucks"....

And by the way since you didn't dare, I will. Stadia monetization sucks balls.
    Even though it's not all doom and gloom, they did few things right to be fair.
    But they are not really good at selling it.
  • SamhaelSamhael Member RarePosts: 1,498
    I'll have to say that while many of the points seem valid, there is definitely an unprofessional feel to this article. Sure, it's an opinion but it comes across more as an unhinged rant than a polished editorial.
    Mendel
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Gotta love the holiday weed which causes some people to pointlessly argue over an OPINION PIECE that was clearly labeled OPINION. Alas, nothing is ever idiot proof no matter how hard you try.
    Gdemamivandal5627
  • StevenWeberStevenWeber MMORPG.COM Staff UncommonPosts: 110
    I acknowledge that a lot of people, even if they agree with @ShankTheTank may take his writing style as provocative in some ways.  I can completely understand how someone could get that feeling, especially if they haven't read any of his previous articles or listened to him on his podcast, or when he joined us in our co-sponsored stream with GameSpace. 

I think there's two things here that could probably use some clarity.  One would be that what Shank writes is simply for shock value and not necessarily his real opinion.  While I think there is a place for that, there are a lot of times that Poorna's opinions are on the opposite end of the spectrum as my own. His opinions may not fall in the same scope as many gamers, as he has a very specific view of the industry as a whole.  I may not always agree with Shank, but I always value his point of view.

The other issue is that we see people attacking the professionalism of the article. In the broad stroke of an editorial, this opinion and how it is presented is just another way to interact with an audience. Over the years we've had opinion based articles here that were argumentative, incendiary and even a little petulant at times. Luckily, opinion pieces like this one allow us as writers to be this way, and they are fun to read and in many cases fun to write as well. 

As for Stadia, I do believe that, at this time it isn't ready for the masses. Game streaming still has a long way to go before it's a viable for mass consumption, but I do feel that it's moving forward, unlike VR, which I feel has taken a step back. Perhaps that's an article for another time.

Gdemami
  • mibgeneralmibgeneral Member UncommonPosts: 41
    Bunch of racists, everything Shank said is subject to scrutiny.
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    LeFantome said:

Sovrath said:

Probably the best article I've seen written on cloud gaming. Your "opinions" are, I believe, spot on.

The article is fine but using the term "is a joke" sounds like some gamer kid. Doesn't sound like a professional at all. 

It’s the perfect word to describe a product and service which were unprofessionally marketed, unprofessionally launched, and whose customers were unprofessionally treated with ambiguous and contradicting statements 

That doesn't mean you have to be unprofessional ..

What a day when the word "joke" is deemed unprofessional. The horror!
    SO I guess it's ok to say : This article is a joke. 
    SlyLoK[Deleted User]

• DemuerteDemuerte Member UncommonPosts: 37

Hatefull said:

Sovrath said:

Probably the best article I've seen written on cloud gaming. Your "opinions" are, I believe, spot on.

The article is fine but using the term "is a joke" sounds like some gamer kid. Doesn't sound like a professional at all. 

It’s the perfect word to describe a product and service which were unprofessionally marketed, unprofessionally launched, and whose customers were unprofessionally treated with ambiguous and contradicting statements

So you let their lack of professionalism remove yours as well? Justifying writing like an angsty teenager by saying "I do not pull punches" "They were unprofessional first" is a pretty lame excuse in my opinion.

There are many ways to write hard-hitting articles without resorting to schoolyard insults. While I agree with the sentiment of the article, I disagree with your presentation of said opinion.

Wasn’t aware that calling something “a joke” is tantamount to a schoolyard insult. Learned something new

From what I have read and heard about Stadia it looks like a joke to me as well. I guess some people take themselves way to seriously. Some also get a tad butt hurt when you skewer their sacred cow.
    Gdemami
  • DemuerteDemuerte Member UncommonPosts: 37

Sovrath said:

Sovrath said:

The term seems like a kid wrote it. It doesn't feel, at least to my sensibilities, like a professional news article.

Except it’s not a news article. It’s an editorial, as stated in the title and throughout the piece.

That's the new norm when someone can not argue or dispute anything based on content, they go after the messenger. Makes one start to think their sacred cow was skewered. Regardless, seeing people get butt hurt over phraseology is amusing.
    Gdemami
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    Google Stadia
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    What I find amusing (besides the people who only read the editorial title) is that Google brought out the horse, decided it was too expensive to keep, shot it, then put the cart in front of it and may soon wonder what the hell happened.

I'm speaking of Google's self-failed attempt at Google Fiber. If they had carried through with their plan to cover the US in fiber, Stadia might now be a more viable product.

Now their marketing and implementation .... what a joke.
    Gdemami
  • ShankTheTankShankTheTank Associate Editor / News ManagerMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 217
    LeFantome said:
    LeFantome said:

Sovrath said:

That doesn't mean you have to be unprofessional ..

What a day when the word "joke" is deemed unprofessional. The horror!
    SO I guess it's ok to say : This article is a joke. 
    Absolutely. Feel free!
    [Deleted User]
    Google Stadia
    I live in rural SW VA. No idea where the nearest data center is but yes sir works fine for me. ?
    alkarionlogScot
  • learis1learis1 Member UncommonPosts: 169
    edited November 2019
    While I was a little offtaken by calling it a joke, I actually do agree after reading that it currently is a joke.

The idea behind cloud gaming however is not a joke. I am one of the people greatly interested in it. Hypothetically, if a company perfects it to where cloud games run reliably at 60fps at 1080p in the future, then I would be a happy camper. Id gladly pay 10 bucks a month rather than having to buy a 1500 dollar gaming rig that Ill eventually have to keep upgrading.

Unfortunately it still seems a long way off from this :( The infrastructure and technology.... all aspects are still way too buggy and slow.
    alkarionlog[Deleted User]

Mend and Defend

learis1 said:
    While I was a little offtaken by calling it a joke, I actually do agree after reading that it currently is a joke.

The idea behind cloud gaming however is not a joke. I am one of the people greatly interested in it. Hypothetically, if a company perfects it to where cloud games run reliably at 60fps at 1080p in the future, then I would be a happy camper. Id gladly pay 10 bucks a month rather than having to buy a 1500 dollar gaming rig that Ill eventually have to keep upgrading.

Unfortunately it still seems a long way off from this :( The infrastructure and technology.... all aspects are still way too buggy and slow.
    cloud gamming is a joke, I don't see why I would want to have to deal with lag and internet on a SP game, the whole reason to play a SP game is to use internet for something else(a download) or when internet is down, or people who ahve caps not use said caps, I don't see one single benefit for me to be using this
    Gdemami
  • learis1learis1 Member UncommonPosts: 169
    learis1 said:

cloud gamming is a joke, I don't see why I would want to have to deal with lag and internet on a SP game, the whole reason to play a SP game is to use internet for something else(a download) or when internet is down, or people who ahve caps not use said caps, I don't see one single benefit for me to be using this
    The main benefit is you save thousands of dollars by not ever having to buy any gaming pc rigs or consoles ever again. If youre fine spending thousands of dollars, then theres no benefit for you.

However all of this is still completely meaningless because cloud gaming is still horribly laggy and buggy. So theres no benefit for anyone right now. Perhaps in the future.
    Gdemami

Mend and Defend

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Bunch of racists, everything Shank said is subject to scrutiny.
    Not gonna lie. The thought has crossed my mind too.
    mibgeneral
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• MargraveMargrave Member RarePosts: 1,362
    It runs fine for me. Just the graphics are not what they should be.

It's not 4K at all. No title is 4K. They want to blame the developers, but for every game to NOT deliver the 4K they promised that would require a conspiracy of multiple developers. Not likely. The more believable is that the service is just not able to perform any better. They lied when they promised 4K.
    Margrave said:

It's not 4K at all. No title is 4K. They want to blame the developers, but for every game to NOT deliver the 4K they promised that would require a conspiracy of multiple developers. Not likely. The more believable is that the service is just not able to perform any better. They lied when they promised 4K.
    they can't deliver 4k because the internet would lag like hell, then possible they lower the resolution to lower the hit on latency
  • strykr619strykr619 Member UncommonPosts: 284
    I still remember when digital copies was being ridiculed in the early 2000's. Now its the standard and physical copies are considered redundant. Stadia's launch was not impressive at all but if y'all don't think Cloud gaming isn't the future your kidding yourself, Once 5G is fully deployed at 6G comes around EVERYTHING will be cloud based because that bandwidth will be their to support it on a global scale. 
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    Samhael said:
    I'll have to say that while many of the points seem valid, there is definitely an unprofessional feel to this article. Sure, it's an opinion but it comes across more as an unhinged rant than a polished editorial.
    No, I don't think he should have used the word joke myself, but the article is a sound exploration of Stadia.
    Gdemami
  • rojoArcueidrojoArcueid Member EpicPosts: 10,722
    edited November 2019
    i wonder if the people getting mad about an opinion piece are the same people getting mad when their opinions are not taken seriously.

EDIT: it's a freaking opinion.
    [Deleted User]

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855

Sovrath said:

I agree but to be fair... if THAT is your new standard I am really looking forward to seeing you cover all the MMOs in production. I mean those items you listed can and SHOULD be applied consistently to all these MMO companies as well.

Agree?

Anything in which a company asks and charges money from the consumer deserves scrutiny. If you’ve been following my work, I don’t pull punches. Nothing is beyond critique. If it’s my editorial piece, I’ll discuss it. I cannot force others who contribute their time and articles on our site to share my same opinion, and thus cannot expect their editorials to match my own.

As the "News Editor" I assume that your responsibilities include determining what "news" is published and the context it is given.   Just do not be a mouthpiece for companies that fit the criteria you listed above.  Posting an editorial after a game has launched 5 years late, with half it's features missing is not very helpful.  Share that skepticism along the journey, from initial pitch with crazy timeline, to the size of the budget, to crazy list of features,  etc...

Maybe you are/will be doing this.  If so then I applaud you!  But again, if you are NOT doing that and just acting as a PR arm for these same companies and then you later have an editorial and call them a joke...  Not very helpful.

I just ask that you keep that in mind as you frame the news.

Here’s where I believe some folks may not fully understand what news vs editorials are. I’ll try my best to explain. News is just that: news. It should be devoid of any actual opinion since it is reporting. Now, opinions on that news piece can and may exist. For that, absolutely follow up with an editorial giving your thoughts and reaction to that news: Was what was announced nonsensical? Are the gamers being screwed here? Does any of this seem fishy? But news itself should not have opinion. If done correctly, news shouldn’t be framed. It should be reported. Editorials are for looking at that news and then analyzing and scrutinizing it. Hope this helps.
    Most "news" I see posted is cut and paste directly from a PR release/email sent by a company.  This is why many sites have the same "news" on the same day with almost the same wording.

THAT is what I am talking about.

"News" does not mean publishing press releases.  It can and SHOULD involve fact-checking AND questioning of the source material.
    What????
    Journalism????
    Nahh, that's dead.
    Churnalism is the new thing now.
    Margrave said:

It is up to the game devs to take advantage of it. The power is there. Right now it is just ports.