Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jedi Fallen Order blows past sales expectations

2»

Comments

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 13,296
    Arterius said:
    Scot said:
    Gorwe said:
    Scot said:
    Gorwe said:
    I just finished it and it managed what not a lot of games can boast: it glued me to the chair for like 6 hours. It is a beautiful, fun, high quality game that is honestly overpriced. And marred by weird level design choices. Sure, have 1-2 planets as "maze planets", but all of them? Seems weird.

The price and the maze like level design are my only complaints. It is one GOOD(no, seriously) game and it deserves this. I'm glad it turns in profit so that the zero O2 suits(no, really, proverbially "fuck" those) actually see that labors of love / passion are far more likely to turn profit than some pyramidal or uTX schemes etc.
    It only took you six hours to complete? It is £54 pound on steam, that's £9 an hour.
    No, damn it, lol! It took me about 20 hours to complete it, but some experiences were nigh addicting. Kashyyyk, Dathomir etc. That's what I referenced, the 6+ hour stretches of playing, kudos Cal, you did it!
    Betaguy said:
    Great game, loved it.  Hope to see some DLC for it down the road or and extension to the story.
    Something, something Nightsister I hope. <3
    That's £2.70 an hour then and brings into question the 25 to 30 average we keep hearing.
    Think it's more 25-30 if you do everything. It's a metroid style game so the fun is getting new force powers and going back to past planets to see what new pathways to open up. New goodies to find and the like. Also weird to do it by how much money you spent by hour. However 2.70 doesn't seem bad. That's less than a cup of coffee where I am from. Also I can replay the game later if I chose.

That compares to £0.64 pence an hour for something like any of the Tomb raider series. It is hardly an accurate way to compare games, but then that's always difficult. Well at least I would be in the 25hr+ region then. For me it is too short, one for an over 50% discount, others will disagree I am sure.
    Arterius

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,832
    Scot said:
    Arterius said:
    Scot said:
    Gorwe said:
    Scot said:
    Gorwe said:
    I just finished it and it managed what not a lot of games can boast: it glued me to the chair for like 6 hours. It is a beautiful, fun, high quality game that is honestly overpriced. And marred by weird level design choices. Sure, have 1-2 planets as "maze planets", but all of them? Seems weird.

The price and the maze like level design are my only complaints. It is one GOOD(no, seriously) game and it deserves this. I'm glad it turns in profit so that the zero O2 suits(no, really, proverbially "fuck" those) actually see that labors of love / passion are far more likely to turn profit than some pyramidal or uTX schemes etc.
    It only took you six hours to complete? It is £54 pound on steam, that's £9 an hour.
    No, damn it, lol! It took me about 20 hours to complete it, but some experiences were nigh addicting. Kashyyyk, Dathomir etc. That's what I referenced, the 6+ hour stretches of playing, kudos Cal, you did it!
    Betaguy said:
    Great game, loved it.  Hope to see some DLC for it down the road or and extension to the story.
    That's £2.70 an hour then and brings into question the 25 to 30 average we keep hearing.
    Think it's more 25-30 if you do everything. It's a metroid style game so the fun is getting new force powers and going back to past planets to see what new pathways to open up. New goodies to find and the like. Also weird to do it by how much money you spent by hour. However 2.70 doesn't seem bad. That's less than a cup of coffee where I am from. Also I can replay the game later if I chose.

That compares to £0.64 pence an hour for something like any of the Tomb raider series. It is hardly an accurate way to compare games, but then that's always difficult. Well at least I would be in the 25hr+ region then. For me it is too short, one for an over 50% discount, others will disagree I am sure.
    Nah its your money and I get it. I mean I was interested in Darksiders: Genesis. IGN gave it a pretty good review but its only 10-15 hours so I decided to skip
    Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox One X)

Currently Reading: Skaven Slayer (Gotrek and Felix Book 2)

Currently Writing: Champions of Legend Book 1 (3rd Draft)

Currently Watching: Oz (Season 4), Soprano's (Season 1)

• cameltosiscameltosis Member EpicPosts: 2,586
    One of these days, some big studio is going to get a license to build an open world RPG set in the star wars universe. That's when we'll see some truly impressive sales figures!

I'm struggling to find the original press release though. I seem to remember SWTOR sold 2.1m copies between pre-orders and first month (but topped out at 1.7m accounts, so 400k people never even played the game they bought!). I'm curious to see how many copies this one actually sold. Also get curious about the specific wording - "fastest selling digital launch" really just makes me think that they sold the most digital copies, but perhaps not the most outright copies of the game in comparison to previous titles.
    Gorwe
  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,832
    One of these days, some big studio is going to get a license to build an open world RPG set in the star wars universe. That's when we'll see some truly impressive sales figures!

I'm struggling to find the original press release though. I seem to remember SWTOR sold 2.1m copies between pre-orders and first month (but topped out at 1.7m accounts, so 400k people never even played the game they bought!). I'm curious to see how many copies this one actually sold. Also get curious about the specific wording - "fastest selling digital launch" really just makes me think that they sold the most digital copies, but perhaps not the most outright copies of the game in comparison to previous titles.
    Sure but all in all physical sales are down. Also an open world Star Wars game. No thanks. Fallen Order is the closest I want to get. Multiple planets of pretty good sized with lots of nooks and crannies. There are so many open World games and Star Wars always does better when making there games story focused. 

If someone did try to make a open world star wars game I feel like they would focus less on story and more about force powers and how it would affect the world and the like. I hope that no one tries to do it.
    Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox One X)

Currently Reading: Skaven Slayer (Gotrek and Felix Book 2)

Currently Writing: Champions of Legend Book 1 (3rd Draft)

Currently Watching: Oz (Season 4), Soprano's (Season 1)

Arterius said:

Sure but all in all physical sales are down. Also an open world Star Wars game. No thanks. Fallen Order is the closest I want to get. Multiple planets of pretty good sized with lots of nooks and crannies. There are so many open World games and Star Wars always does better when making there games story focused. 

If someone did try to make a open world star wars game I feel like they would focus less on story and more about force powers and how it would affect the world and the like. I hope that no one tries to do it.

I dislike stories in my games, and I'm boycotting EA (nearly 7 years now), so these story-focused hack'n'slash games that we mostly get always seem pretty crap to me.

I've also heard from a few other people here that there have been too many open world games recently. Where?!?! I've been searching for a good open world RPG for ages and just can't find one. Last one I tried was Witcher 3, and whilst it had an open world, there was hardly anything to do in the world, it was far too story focused and so I was just bored all the time. Not to mention that the RPG part was pretty lacking, outside of a few decisions you could make during quests there was no role playing at all.

Plus, we've never had an open world RPG set in the Star Wars universe (except SWG ofc, but im talking single player for the moment). Open world RPGs are about wish fulfilment, giving us the opportunity to live in a virtual world that we've long admired. The hero story is a different type of wish fulfilment and we're well served on that front, but the hero story is over and done quickly, whereas an open world should give us many more opportunities to play differently and live in the world in different ways.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,603
    edited December 2019
    Arterius said:

I dislike stories in my games, and I'm boycotting EA (nearly 7 years now), so these story-focused hack'n'slash games that we mostly get always seem pretty crap to me.

I've also heard from a few other people here that there have been too many open world games recently. Where?!?! I've been searching for a good open world RPG for ages and just can't find one. Last one I tried was Witcher 3, and whilst it had an open world, there was hardly anything to do in the world, it was far too story focused and so I was just bored all the time. Not to mention that the RPG part was pretty lacking, outside of a few decisions you could make during quests there was no role playing at all.

Plus, we've never had an open world RPG set in the Star Wars universe (except SWG ofc, but im talking single player for the moment). Open world RPGs are about wish fulfilment, giving us the opportunity to live in a virtual world that we've long admired. The hero story is a different type of wish fulfilment and we're well served on that front, but the hero story is over and done quickly, whereas an open world should give us many more opportunities to play differently and live in the world in different ways.
    Well, there are a lot of open world rpg's it's just that they really aren't "open world" like some of the Elder Scrolls games.

I've been playing Assassin's creed Odyssey on and off and it's "open world" but damn is there a lot of UI crap all over the place.

I think there are other Ubisoft games like Far Cry. I remember a sort of "Mad Max" game (was it Mad Max?) that was open world.

So yeah, there are Open world games but if you apply what you think an open world game needs then you are going to fall short.

Dragon Age inquisition is also open world but horrid. I can't understand how the developers thought that adding tedium to a single player game would be fun. I've started it several times but just can't get past the bad. 

I should also add that I've had problems with the witcher games as I've tried playign them like an Elder Scrolls game but they play better if one approaches them like quest based "bioware" games.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,941
    In my opinion UI clutter has nothing to do with a game being "open world". Fallen Order is actually a fairly "open world" game. You can leave the beaten path and explore and unlock perks outside the linear narrative. In fact, doing so early on rewards the player with extra stim charges and such which can make difficult boss fights more manageable. Players who rush through the game play will find encounters a lot less forgiving at a given difficulty level.

A problem with many games that tack on "open world" designs is that they aren't well done. The game world feels empty and pointlessly large. For an open world design to be successful it needs to be populated in a way that is interactive and vibrant. Many are empty and boring.
    Sovrath
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

edited December 2019
    Torval said:
    In my opinion UI clutter has nothing to do with a game being "open world". 
    Never said that. Just noting there was a lot of UI stuff on the screen.

I'll add to your "empty and boring" that is going to be a taste thing.

I've noticed that there are players who need to see something to do or a "quest" every 10 feet. 

Not really "a world."

Sovrath said:
    Arterius said:

Well, there are a lot of open world rpg's it's just that they really aren't "open world" like some of the Elder Scrolls games.

I've been playing Assassin's creed Odyssey on and off and it's "open world" but damn is there a lot of UI crap all over the place.

I think there are other Ubisoft games like Far Cry. I remember a sort of "Mad Max" game (was it Mad Max?) that was open world.

So yeah, there are Open world games but if you apply what you think an open world game needs then you are going to fall short.

Dragon Age inquisition is also open world but horrid. I can't understand how the developers thought that adding tedium to a single player game would be fun. I've started it several times but just can't get past the bad. 

I should also add that I've had problems with the witcher games as I've tried playign them like an Elder Scrolls game but they play better if one approaches them like quest based "bioware" games.

Maybe I'm just confusing "open world" and "sandbox" too much. Or maybe I'm too much of a snob, so because I generally won't play indie games I'm missing out on a lot of open world RPGs from the indie community. But the AAA world isn't giving them to us.

Technically, an open world just means it isn't linear in design, so the world is physically open to you to wander around in. But, the content design within that open world is almost always very linear and scripted, which defeats most of the purpose of having an open world.

I've been through AC: Origins recently, I enjoyed the open world in that. Content design was still linear for the main quests but I had a lot of fun exploring the open world, finding all the secrets, taking over the camps and stuff. Meant I could ignore the main story if I wanted for the most part and just have fun. Also, not an RPG.

Mad Max was fun, also played that (and even completed it, which is unusual for me!). Whilst it was open world, it wasn't an RPG.

Dragon Age....I don't like Bioware. I don't like stories, so we were never going to get along, but I really hate companions! Every Bioware game I've played I just hate the companions, they drive me nuts! Both storywise and gameplay wise, they never do what I want. I usually find ways to ditch them, but Bioware usually forces you to have them with you, at least for specific fights or story bits.

Elder Scrolls have been going down hill. I feel like each of the single player games have been getting steadily better on systems and steadily worse on world design. Skyrim's world was just boring! Every cave felt the same, every town felt the same. That said, thank god for modding, as that at least allows us to put those improved systems to better use.
    Sovrath said:
    Arterius said:

Maybe I'm just confusing "open world" and "sandbox" too much. Or maybe I'm too much of a snob, so because I generally won't play indie games I'm missing out on a lot of open world RPGs from the indie community. But the AAA world isn't giving them to us.

Technically, an open world just means it isn't linear in design, so the world is physically open to you to wander around in. But, the content design within that open world is almost always very linear and scripted, which defeats most of the purpose of having an open world.

I've been through AC: Origins recently, I enjoyed the open world in that. Content design was still linear for the main quests but I had a lot of fun exploring the open world, finding all the secrets, taking over the camps and stuff. Meant I could ignore the main story if I wanted for the most part and just have fun. Also, not an RPG.

Mad Max was fun, also played that (and even completed it, which is unusual for me!). Whilst it was open world, it wasn't an RPG.

Dragon Age....I don't like Bioware. I don't like stories, so we were never going to get along, but I really hate companions! Every Bioware game I've played I just hate the companions, they drive me nuts! Both storywise and gameplay wise, they never do what I want. I usually find ways to ditch them, but Bioware usually forces you to have them with you, at least for specific fights or story bits.

Elder Scrolls have been going down hill. I feel like each of the single player games have been getting steadily better on systems and steadily worse on world design. Skyrim's world was just boring! Every cave felt the same, every town felt the same. That said, thank god for modding, as that at least allows us to put those improved systems to better use.
    That's the thing, I thought Skyrim's world was one of their best. It was very beautiful and felt more like a "world" and less like a game space.

Morrowind still had the best as far as "oh, what's that" and I've found more interesting things in Morrowind than the other Elder Scrolls games.

I rarely mention Oblivion but I suppose I played the heck out of it and once played out it's difficult to go back Unlike, more me, Morrowind and Skyrim.

Have you tried Outward? Play that!
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,941
    Sovrath said:
    Torval said:
    In my opinion UI clutter has nothing to do with a game being "open world". 
    Never said that. Just noting there was a lot of UI stuff on the screen.

I'll add to your "empty and boring" that is going to be a taste thing.

I've noticed that there are players who need to see something to do or a "quest" every 10 feet. 

Not really "a world."

The wording confused me a little: "....it's "open world" but damn is there a lot of UI crap all over the place." because the thought seemed linked to the first half of the sentence by the conjunction. Thanks for clarifying. I just read things weird sometimes.

When I say empty or full, I'm not referring to theme-park events. I'm talking about the environment itself. The environment needs to have purpose and interaction. Sparse spaces should exist to provide contrast to more dense areas, but they should still have connectivity to the player in some fashion. It could be resources, flora, fauna, terrain, or so many more things. What it shouldn't be is a static non-interactive painting.

An example that comes to mind is from the latest season of "Dragon Prince" on Netflix. There is this crazy desert the heroes need to cross. It can't be walked on during the day because it's too hot and at night there are hostile creatures, too many to fight. Even though there isn't anything in the desert to visit or harvest the characters are still connected to that environment. I think that philosophy would go a long way to making open world games feel richer. I'm definitely not advocating for more themepark rides or quest hubs.
    Sovrathblueturtle13Gorwe
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• ZegalothZegaloth Member UncommonPosts: 234
    edited December 2019
    Wizardry said:
    Fastest selling does not mean a damn thing because likely 99% of those sales were on a whim.

People don't play a game then buy it,they buy it first then find out later if it is any good but even if it is very ho hum.TOO LATE,you already bought it.
    I watched some streams,i did not see anything amazing at all,to me it looks ho hum.

It does not look like a Star Wars game,you need to do more than wield a light saber and have the white armored foes standing around.The Ai looks real weak,the combat AI looks very weak.

Basically a linear game with a bunch of simple puzzles to advance onwards.

I stated a long tiem ago what a Star Wars game should entail and so far,we just get the same old type design that coudl easily be ANY title with a light saber and white armored drones.

I beat the game 100% and really enjoyed the whole experience, some of the enemies were easy to overcome (Storm Troopers are supposed to be easy fodder enemies as is depicted in Star Wars).

On the hardest difficulty the enemies were a decent challenge, more challenging than Legend of Zelda, less challenging than Bloodborne, but I felt it had a great feedback loop with the upgrades received.

The puzzles were reasonable, and they were fun to do as a way to showcase new powers that you got, I don't really think saying the puzzles are simple is fair considering that there aren't any games out there that do have challenging puzzles.

The story was really good, and I would put the entire game at above average, but for an EA game I would say it gets a 10/10 just because they have lowered the bar so much over the last 2 decades.

The game felt like a metroidvania, darksouls lite, legend of zelda ocarina of time mash up that I really enjoyed.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 3,657
    Arterius said:
    Scot said:
    Arterius said:
    Scot said:
    Gorwe said:
    Scot said:
    Gorwe said:

Betaguy said:

Nah its your money and I get it. I mean I was interested in Darksiders: Genesis. IGN gave it a pretty good review but its only 10-15 hours so I decided to skip
    I am so getting that one. Besides, I believe only Darksiders 2 is longer then 10-15 hours and the new one is priced decently at 30 bucks.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Arterius
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer