Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Jedi Fallen Order blows past sales expectations

ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,840
Jedi Fallen Order exploded in popularity . Beating all expectations. Outselling every Star Wars game in the same period under the EA brand at least on PC. However, sounds like its not doing to bad on consoles as well. Seems like people actually showed EA that sometimes what people want is a good game devoid of all the MTX bullshit. Hopefully this and Outer Worlds proves to publishers that you don't need to shove MTX into your games to make money.

Star Wars Jedi: Fallen Order has become the fastest-selling digital Star Wars game in its first fortnight, and Electronic Arts' best selling Star Wars PC title at launch, the publisher announced, beating both Star Wars Battlefront 2 and Star Wars: The Old Republic against their original sales figures in the same period. 

Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox One X)

Currently Reading: Skaven Slayer (Gotrek and Felix Book 2)

Currently Writing: Champions of Legend Book 1 (3rd Draft)

Currently Watching: Oz (Season 4), Soprano's (Season 1)

Asm0deuspantaroGdemamiGorweValentinarojoArcueidTom_Neverwinter

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 5,951
    edited November 2019
    This is good news as far as rewarding good behavior.

However, I do think that the lesson isn't going to be learned. EA knows that there is money to be made on the narratively-driven single player games; however, they also know that said games are a lot more expensive to make and don't have the long recurring sales tails of a live service dumpster fire.

And ultimately, I hope that Disney does not renew the exclusivity deal. We would have gotten at least 5 games of this caliber in the EA license era under the old LucasArts licensing strategy.
    ArteriusGdemamiGorwe
  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,840
    Aeander said:
    This is good news as far as rewarding good behavior.

However, I do think that the lesson isn't going to be learned. EA knows that there is money to be made on the narratively-driven single player games; however, they also know that said games are a lot more expensive to make and don't have the long recurring sales tails of a live service dumpster fire.

And ultimately, I hope that Disney does not renew the exclusivity deal. We would have gotten at least 5 games of this caliber in the EA license era under the old LucasArts licensing strategy.
    Sure and I am not saying that EA is going to completely change but this may open the door for at least a few games a year from EA that are just story driven adventures with no MTX

• TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,987
    SPOILERS AHEAD

It's a pretty good game with a few flaws. It felt like the story fought being canon instead of embracing the fact. On the other hand, that's more on the franchise itself, in my opinion, which is undergoing a bit of an identity crisis. Hopefully the rumors about John Favreau are true. Anyway, the support characters aren't likable or believable. The main character is a little one-dimensional and the plot conclusion is underwhelming to say the least.

You work really hard to retrieve an artifact vital importance and then destroys it. He doesn't pass it on to wiser Jedi Masters. He freaking destroys it. Lame.

However, I don't think that ruins the enjoyment of playing Jedi, the personal discovery storyline, or becoming immersed in the world despite a somewhat janky plot. I'll get it on PC once I know it works on Linux reliably and it goes on sale. I can wait.
    ArteriusGorwe
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 36,361
    Apparantly my "ignore anything SWs related" filter is working perfectly, this is my first time hearing of this game.

;)
    ArteriusanemoRoinScotXodic

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Kyleran said:
    Apparantly my "ignore anything SWs related" filter is working perfectly, this is my first time hearing of this game.

;)
    Can't tell if serious or trolling

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 17,863
    Fastest selling does not mean a damn thing because likely 99% of those sales were on a whim.

People don't play a game then buy it,they buy it first then find out later if it is any good but even if it is very ho hum.TOO LATE,you already bought it.
    I watched some streams,i did not see anything amazing at all,to me it looks ho hum.

It does not look like a Star Wars game,you need to do more than wield a light saber and have the white armored foes standing around.The Ai looks real weak,the combat AI looks very weak.

Basically a linear game with a bunch of simple puzzles to advance onwards.

I stated a long tiem ago what a Star Wars game should entail and so far,we just get the same old type design that coudl easily be ANY title with a light saber and white armored drones.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

Wizardry said:
    Fastest selling does not mean a damn thing because likely 99% of those sales were on a whim.

People don't play a game then buy it,they buy it first then find out later if it is any good but even if it is very ho hum.TOO LATE,you already bought it.
    I watched some streams,i did not see anything amazing at all,to me it looks ho hum.

It does not look like a Star Wars game,you need to do more than wield a light saber and have the white armored foes standing around.The Ai looks real weak,the combat AI looks very weak.

Basically a linear game with a bunch of simple puzzles to advance onwards.

I stated a long tiem ago what a Star Wars game should entail and so far,we just get the same old type design that coudl easily be ANY title with a light saber and white armored drones.
    This game is good though. You are the first person I have heard bash on it yet. I mean even twitter likes and  they hate on everything. Plus, you didn't even play the game. People got to stop watching things on twich and then hating a game. Sometimes games are boring to watch and fun to play. 
    Warhawke80GorweSovrath

• TillerTiller Member EpicPosts: 8,877
    edited November 2019
    As much as I don't care for this game, I'm glad something Star Wars is actually doing well.
    NorseGodGorwe
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

Arterius said:
    Kyleran said:

;)
    Can't tell if serious or trolling
    Yes.
    Xodic

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

edited November 2019
    Tiller said:
    As much as I don't care for this game, I'm glad something Star Wars is actually doing well.
    The Mandalorian is awesome if you haven't watched that yet. Probably the best movie/tv since episode 6. As i don't care for return of the jedi, the prequels, and I am mixed on the new stuff.
    Torval

• AragoniAragoni Member UncommonPosts: 373
    Just you wait. Not too late for EA to put microtransactions into it.
    NorseGod
  • TokkenTokken Member RarePosts: 2,519
    To me, this shows that more people want star wars games, I know I do.........
    PsYcHoGBR
    Make PvE GREAT Again!
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,634
    Aragoni said:
    And that's why I'll pass. EA are scumbags.
    Gdemami
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    Aragoni said:
    It would be quite hard for them to do so. I mean they already have all there cosmetics in game as unlockables. I mean I know people will say that they did it with crash team racing but that game already had a MTX style store that you bought using in game currancy for winning races. That was already in place. 

Not going to say they can't but since they have already said no dlc, if I remember correctly, I doubt we will see MTX. I do think that its unlikely we will get a sequel. I can see EA looking at these numbers and being happy with them but not green-lighting sequel because it doesn't have staying power or putting MTX in the sequel. 
    Torval

• skadadskadad Member UncommonPosts: 392
    Arterius said:
    Tiller said:
    The Mandalorian is awesome if you haven't watched that yet. Probably the best movie/tv since episode 6. As i don't care for return of the jedi, the prequels, and I am mixed on the new stuff.
    But Return of the Jedi is episode 6? hmm.
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 13,333
    I was looking at how long I spent on some other games I would consider action adventures, 80+ hours is typical, JFO 25 to 30 hrs does not cut it.
    BakgrindKyleranXodic

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 4,430
    Its a pretty good game. Hard though.

I hate EA with a passion - but I'm actually tempted.

It definitely lasts longer than merely six hours lolz.

I mean I'm sure one can speedrun it in an hour or something. I've seen speedruns of games that last me over 100 hours in a mere quarter hour, so why not this one ? Thats not my idea of how to enjoy a game though.

Please set a sig so I can read your posting even if somebody "agreed" etc with it. Thanks.
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,363

It was an ok game. 

It felt like it was a collection of things from other games but not done as well as those other games. 
    I am not a SW fan at all but a fan of Respawn. Titanfall 2 was a brilliant game hardly anyone played. (also another example of EA not getting in the way of a game which they have shown before)   
    I feel if the game did not have the SW IP attached to it no one would have bought nor played this game. 
    I think the game kind of falls apart in the middle and at the end and becomes more buggy and rushed as the game goes on. 
    The story, like all SW story lines in my opinion, is mediocre at best. Contrived at worse. 

I liked the combat for the most part. If not a bit easy, I do appreciate what they were trying to do and it had fun to it. Assigning skill points was fun and needs expanded on in the next one

Graphics and sound were very well done. (As you would expect with a Star Wars....well anything SW) Style over substance has always been the hallmarks of the IP. (in my opinion of course) 
    I thought it was an interesting choice to use UE4. Some of the technical issues stem from their use of it. Had they been apart of EA when they started developing it they probably would have used Frostbite.

The meditation pads were a terrible addition imo and the chests were a missed opportunity. I mean how many ponchos do you need? Or cosmetics for a ship you hardly see. 
    Over all I think the game had high production values which people rate it higher for and fans have the best SW game of the last 10 years. Which is not a bad thing but the games have been terrible over the last 10 years so that isn't saying much.
    Yet I can see why fans like the game. It feels like SW and that is more than enough for them. 

As a nonfan of Star Wars it was a derivative action adventure game that copied too much and failed to pay proper homage to its influences.

5 out of 10 for me
    ScotTorvalGdemami

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Gorwe said:
    I just finished it and it managed what not a lot of games can boast: it glued me to the chair for like 6 hours. It is a beautiful, fun, high quality game that is honestly overpriced. And marred by weird level design choices. Sure, have 1-2 planets as "maze planets", but all of them? Seems weird.

The price and the maze like level design are my only complaints. It is one GOOD(no, seriously) game and it deserves this. I'm glad it turns in profit so that the zero O2 suits(no, really, proverbially "fuck" those) actually see that labors of love / passion are far more likely to turn profit than some pyramidal or uTX schemes etc.
    It only took you six hours to complete? It is £54 pound on steam, that's £9 an hour.
    KyleranGorwe

25 Agrees

• BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 419
    Scot said:
    Gorwe said:
    I just finished it and it managed what not a lot of games can boast: it glued me to the chair for like 6 hours. It is a beautiful, fun, high quality game that is honestly overpriced. And marred by weird level design choices. Sure, have 1-2 planets as "maze planets", but all of them? Seems weird.

The price and the maze like level design are my only complaints. It is one GOOD(no, seriously) game and it deserves this. I'm glad it turns in profit so that the zero O2 suits(no, really, proverbially "fuck" those) actually see that labors of love / passion are far more likely to turn profit than some pyramidal or uTX schemes etc.
    It only took you six hours to complete? It is £54 pound on steam, that's £9 an hour.
    And here I was thinking that the last 15 hour Tomb Raider title I played was short.
    ScotKyleran
    edited December 2019
    Bakgrind said:
    Scot said:
    Gorwe said:

And here I was thinking that the last 15 hour Tomb Raider title I played was short.
    I think I do 80+ hours on those but then I complete everything, talk to everyone, look at every mural you name it. :)

25 Agrees

Scot said:
    Bakgrind said:
    Scot said:
    Gorwe said:

I think I do 80+ hours on those but then I complete everything, talk to everyone, look at every mural you name it. :)
    I too complete most everything in a game, so while some people claimed to finish Fallout NV in 40 hours or so it took me 175 hours, doing no crafting BTW.

I value single player games which can provide at least 100 plus hours of entertainment, while most multiplayer titles provide much more, into the thousands for sure.

Long ago and far away stores would let you return video games and if I bought one which ended up being very short I would return it and get my money back. (Which is why no one can return games anymore, I'm to blame) ;)

Glued to a chair for 6 hours? Sounds like an average Saturday night for most any game I play, and I don't play very many in a given year.  (Only 3 in 2019 so far, NMS, POE, & FO76.)

TorvalScot

• BetaguyBetaguy Member UncommonPosts: 2,622
    Great game, loved it.  Hope to see some DLC for it down the road or and extension to the story.
    Gorwe

Gorwe said:
    Scot said:
    Gorwe said:

No, damn it, lol! It took me about 20 hours to complete it, but some experiences were nigh addicting. Kashyyyk, Dathomir etc. That's what I referenced, the 6+ hour stretches of playing, kudos Cal, you did it!
    Betaguy said:
    Great game, loved it.  Hope to see some DLC for it down the road or and extension to the story.
    Something, something Nightsister I hope. <3
    That's £2.70 an hour then and brings into question the 25 to 30 average we keep hearing.

25 Agrees

Scot said:
    Gorwe said:
    Scot said:
    Gorwe said:

No, damn it, lol! It took me about 20 hours to complete it, but some experiences were nigh addicting. Kashyyyk, Dathomir etc. That's what I referenced, the 6+ hour stretches of playing, kudos Cal, you did it!
    Betaguy said:
    Something, something Nightsister I hope. <3
    That's £2.70 an hour then and brings into question the 25 to 30 average we keep hearing.
    Think it's more 25-30 if you do everything. It's a metroid style game so the fun is getting new force powers and going back to past planets to see what new pathways to open up. New goodies to find and the like. Also weird to do it by how much money you spent by hour. However 2.70 doesn't seem bad. That's less than a cup of coffee where I am from. Also I can replay the game later if I chose.

ScotTorvalGorwe