Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

No MTX in Cyberpunk 2077 after all

ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,838
The article was mistranslated. The news outlet who translated and CDPR have come out and said that there will be no MTX in Multiplayer or Single Player. That they don't believe in greedy practices. 

https://www.gry-online.pl/newsroom/cyberpunk-2077-tryb-multiplayer-jest-na-wczesnym-etapie-tworzenia/z31d09e
Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox One X)

Currently Reading: Skaven Slayer (Gotrek and Felix Book 2)

Currently Writing: Champions of Legend Book 1 (3rd Draft)

Currently Watching: Oz (Season 4), Soprano's (Season 1)

NycteliosAlbatroes

Comments

• AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 5,938
    It is unfortunate that this translation error happened, and it shows that there is a major problem with journalistic outlets jumping the gun. Though I suppose that such things are inevitable when they have to race for headlines.
    ArteriusrojoArcueidcheebaTimukasalkarionlog
  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,838
    Aeander said:
    It is unfortunate that this translation error happened, and it shows that there is a major problem with journalistic outlets jumping the gun. Though I suppose that such things are inevitable when they have to race for headlines.
    I mean just shows that if you are trying to translate in a language your not familiar with don't use google translate. From what I understand that is more or less how this happend
    TimukasWaan

• blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 12,359
    Actually that is just a correction of an error saying that it was confirmed. They said they are still considering it for their multiplayer and say so in the correction. 

Many many people already know it is coming. So do they. Yet they look like heels if they announce it too early. Mark the words. It is coming.   
    ArteriusTorvalcheebaAzaron_Nightblade

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Actually that is just a correction of an error saying that it was confirmed. They said they are still considering it for their multiplayer and say so in the correction. 

Many many people already know it is coming. So do they. Yet they look like heels if they announce it too early. Mark the words. It is coming.   
    That is not what I heard from not just this article but from other people on Reddit who are from Poland who were talking about this. 
    Gdemami

easy to back and forth if you don't read polish huh? ;) 
    Torval

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Arterius said:

That is not what I heard from not just this article but from other people on Reddit who are from Poland who were talking about this. 

When I visited the team earlier this year MTX was talked about in more than one instance. Running an online service game is a large commitment both of time and resources. 
    They are bleeding money already and have all their eggs in the Cyberpunk basket.
    Do you really think they have the capitol to run an online game with their current assets? 
    Of course they will have microtransactions. They would bankrupt themselves otherwise. 
    It is not just prudent it is commonsense. 

ArteriusLeFantomeRhoklawWaan

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Arterius said:

When I visited the team earlier this year MTX was talked about in more than one instance. Running an online service game is a large commitment both of time and resources. 
    They are bleeding money already and have all their eggs in the Cyberpunk basket.
    Do you really think they have the capitol to run an online game with their current assets? 
    Of course they will have microtransactions. They would bankrupt themselves otherwise. 

Well Turtle I can't tell your wrong to be honest. I mean if I trust anyone on here about video game development its you. Your the dev here. Thanks for the input. I would love to visit the team. Kinda jealous 
    Gdemami

Arterius said:
    Arterius said:

Well Turtle I can't tell your wrong to be honest. I mean if I trust anyone on here about video game development its you. Your the dev here. Thanks for the input. I would love to visit the team. Kinda jealous 
    To be honest I don't see it as a bad thing. It will not effect the single player game and I do believe they have the integrity to keep the transactions fair. They have to do it. They don't have a large corporation behind them. They are spending hand over fist to make the game and run GOG.com

I personally think the game will be everything their fans want and more. It may just be a transcendent game. 
    ArteriusIceAgecheeba

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

Arterius said:
    Arterius said:

To be honest I don't see it as a bad thing. It will not effect the single player game and I do believe they have the integrity to keep the transactions fair. They have to do it. They don't have a large corporation behind them. They are spending hand over fist to make the game and run GOG.com

I personally think the game will be everything their fans want and more. It may just be a transcendent game. 
    I hope so. It's my most anticipated game I think... ever. As one can tell from my profile pic
    blueturtle13

Arterius said:
    Arterius said:
    Arterius said:

I hope so. It's my most anticipated game I think... ever. As one can tell from my profile pic
    I'm anticipating it, but the lack of third person brought it down from one of my most anticipated games ever to "I'll get it on PC when someone adds a third person mod." And the longer it takes to happen, the more the price drops; and that won't be my fault.

I'll be busy with the big wave 4 dlc for Three Houses when it comes out anyway. New characters, new classes, and new features for what is already my 2019 GotY.
    Gdemami
    Aeander said:
    Arterius said:
    Arterius said:
    Arterius said:

I'm anticipating it, but the lack of third person brought it down from one of my most anticipated games ever to "I'll get it on PC when someone adds a third person mod." And the longer it takes to happen, the more the price drops; and that won't be my fault.

I'll be busy with the big wave 4 dlc for Three Houses when it comes out anyway. New characters, new classes, and new features for what is already my 2019 GotY.
    Aeander said:
    Arterius said:
    Arterius said:
    Arterius said:

I am anticapting at lot of games next year but starting at the end of March nothing will be played but a MMO game I choose because I am not getting into anything before the game comes out and next year seems to be a lot of long games. I dread how long some of those games are going to be. Its the reason why I felt comfortable promising my wife no more games after April until the next gen systems come out.

I feel like Cyberpunk 2077 will take me at least two months with a baby and stuff running around and thats without the expansions they promised. Then FF7R, which will  be the first time I play FF7. Then you have Animal Crossing, The Avengers, Last of US 2, Dragon Ball Z: Kakrot (which is rumored to be 60 hours long). I don't have the time

edited November 2019
    Unless something big happens at the Game Awards, I'm just looking forward to Three Houses wave 4, FF7R, Avengers, Tales of Arise, and Cyberpunk in that order.

Later down the line, I'll probably fit in a deep discount for Persona 5 the Royal (to make up for the fact that I own the regular version) and Tokyo Mirage Sessions.

Never been an Animal Crossing or Dragonball fan. 

I've got the time. Hopefully, I'll have the money.
    Aeander said:
    Unless something big happens at the Game Awards, I'm just looking forward to Three Houses wave 4, FF7R, Avengers, Tales of Arise, and Cyberpunk in that order.

Never been an Animal Crossing or Dragonball fan. 

I've got the time. Hopefully, I'll have the money.
    Yeah thankfully my wife does make sure I have time to play Video Games. I give her time to watch her shows and what not and she makes sure I have time out to play video games but since having a baby and what not that  time is like 2-3 hours a day. With some of these long games its tough. There is a reason why I play a lot of Breakpoint or Fallout 76. Its because sometimes I just don't have the time to invest what I need to enjoy Star Wars: Fallen Order or something.

P.S. Totally forgot about Tales of Arise. Going to get that when I get the Scarlett or PS5
    blueturtle13Gdemami

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 17,847
    edited November 2019
    Hmmm if this is true i should give that developer a great big hug for being an honest business.

The game industry has gone completely nuts with seemingly every game trying to be scummy,trying to gouge added money out of us for no reason.It is like every single game has a form of login screen so that they can add an ongoing cash shop to their games.

Now a days we look at and compare the subscription model to the cash shop models.I highly doubt you could find ANY cash shop,i mean ANY that does not add up to MUCH more like 500% more cost in the total cash shop than a subscription fee that gives you the ENTIRE game assets.So we would be looking at the standard $15 a month sub,know of any game that has a cash shop totaling less than $15,not a chance in hell.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RhoklawRhoklaw Member EpicPosts: 7,137
    Claiming gaming companies HAVE to utilize a MTX style funding mechanic for their games because they'll go bankrupt if they don't is PURE and BLATANT lying. They could just as easily make the multiplayer version subscription based too. The ONLY reason gaming companies use cash shops, simply put, is GREED. Anyone who says otherwise is not only lying to themselves, but to everyone they open their mouth too.
    Gdemami

Rhoklaw said:
    Claiming gaming companies HAVE to utilize a MTX style funding mechanic for their games because they'll go bankrupt if they don't is PURE and BLATANT lying. They could just as easily make the multiplayer version subscription based too. The ONLY reason gaming companies use cash shops, simply put, is GREED. Anyone who says otherwise is not only lying to themselves, but to everyone they open their mouth too.
    So if they sell millions of copies of the title ok great that paid for the single player development then they release the multiplayer portion and they provide hundreds of servers all over the world in multiple regions. How are they supposed to pay for those ongoing server costs and development costs? 
    Are you saying a non mmo game would support a sub model of payment when the majority of mmos themselves cannot?  There is no evidence to support that theory. 
    There is no lying, only logic and commonsense and a history of sub games that went F2P with a cash shop to survive. 
    Companies went this route of microtrans because the market supports it. 
    You or I dont have to like it but the facts and the market bare a different story.

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• XodicXodic Member EpicPosts: 1,138
    If I remember correctly, they said a long time ago that they'll never toe the line on micro transactions.
    Rhoklaw said:
    So if they sell millions of copies of the title ok great that paid for the single player development then they release the multiplayer portion and they provide hundreds of servers all over the world in multiple regions. How are they supposed to pay for those ongoing server costs and development costs? 
    Are you saying a non mmo game would support a sub model of payment when the majority of mmos themselves cannot?  There is no evidence to support that theory. 
    There is no lying, only logic and commonsense and a history of sub games that went F2P with a cash shop to survive. 
    Companies went this route of microtrans because the market supports it. 
    You or I dont have to like it but the facts and the market bare a different story.

Ok, it's not rocket science. Obviously a gaming company only needs enough servers to support the current subscribers. Renting servers is not uncommon for games such as this. This would allow them to control the amount of servers available without a lot of overhead cost on their part. You know why so many game developers switched from subscription to F2P with a cash shop? Not because it made sense, but rather because it made cents. Who wouldn't want to make more money? Why take a flat rate fee every month when you can easily nickel and dime your customers to death making most end up paying more than $15 a month on average over the life of the game.

No, the whole F2P + cash shop is simply a way for companies to make MORE than what they actually need. While there are some F2P games with cash shops that maintain a decent non-intrusive quota. I think we all know quite well, some definitely do not. So it really comes down to whether or not Cyberpunk 2077 is purely a co op game or if it will incorporate any sort of PvP. That is the combination any player with 1/2 a brain cell should always steer clear of.
    skadadblueturtle13Gdemami

• GdemamiGdemami Member EpicPosts: 12,175
    Rhoklaw said:
    No, the whole F2P + cash shop is simply a way for companies to make MORE than what they actually need. 
    ...so how much money companies need?
    Aeanderblueturtle13
    Gdemami said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    No, the whole F2P + cash shop is simply a way for companies to make MORE than what they actually need. 
    Good point. 

Every company is different. 
    CDP has already said that they have bet the house on Cyberpunk. They have allocated nearly all their funding to the project. They need this to be a big hit. (Which it seems it will be)

The multiplayer component is basically B2P. Though it seems the vast majority will buy it for the single player, the multiplayer will provide residual income that they need to help fund additional content and for future projects. 

LOTRO was a good example of a company that actually has verifiable proof of a financial turn around by going F2P. As has Rift, Aion, EQ2, EQ1, EVE, UO, hell even DAoC just went F2P. Yet some think an online game that is NOT an mmorpg could survive with no further income? Just rent some servers and develop content for free and eat the cost? 

Unlike some companies CDP is not swimming in money. They need additional revenue to sustain their development table. 

This is a tough market for some types of games and costs have ballooned in some areas that cant be avoided. This is just the reality of the current market. 
    SovrathGdemamiTorval

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 1,907
    DMKano said:
    Gdemami said:
    Rhoklaw said:

How much money do billionaires need?

I think we need to define *need*
    I'd say an addict would define need much differently than a reasonable person. Billionaires are addicted to gaining capital so I'd assume in their eyes they need it.
    Gdemami
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 28,614
    Yet some think an online game that is NOT an mmorpg could survive with no further income? Just rent some servers and develop content for free and eat the cost? 

Unlike some companies CDP is not swimming in money. They need additional revenue to sustain their development table. 

This is a tough market for some types of games and costs have ballooned in some areas that cant be avoided. This is just the reality of the current market. 
    yeah, it's a bit disturbing that there are players who can't make the connection that these companies need money to actually pay bills. "Servers don't cost anything!" well great but that money still has to come from somewhere and it still has to be budgeted.
    blueturtle13
    edited November 2019
    Gdemami said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    The better question should be, so how much are customers willing to pay? Bottom line is always supply and demand to determine the value of anything. Of course, you can add variables to the equation, such as how stupid are your customers and can you manipulate them by making them think they are getting a really good deal, when in actuality, you're robbing them blind.

We can sit here and say, that game companies in no way manipulate their customers. So, the question remains, why would they choose F2P + cash shop versus a subscription? The answer is simple, because they make more money. As I said, game companies still make a profit with flat service fee or a subscription. The whole point of F2P + cash shop isn't about making enough, it's about making maximum profits AT the expense of either fair gameplay ( P2W ) or inconveniences ( pay walls ).

I think someone actually did some calculations with LOTRO to determine if it was more cost effective to subscribe to LOTRO or buy and unlock everything with one time purchase fees. Let's just say, the F2P purchase route was nowhere near as cheap as just maintaining a subscription. Of course, no one has to unlock everything to enjoy a game, but the point I'm trying to make is that F2P + cash shop is not cheaper than maintaining a subscription. Either you'll spend more or you'll have 1/2 or even 1/4 of a game to play.
    Gdemamialkarionlog

Rhoklaw said:
    Gdemami said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    The better question should be, so how much are customers willing to pay? Bottom line is always supply and demand to determine the value of anything. Of course, you can add variables to the equation, such as how stupid are your customers and can you manipulate them by making them think they are getting a really good deal, when in actuality, you're robbing them blind.

We can sit here and say, that game companies in no way manipulate their customers. So, the question remains, why would they choose F2P + cash shop versus a subscription? The answer is simple, because they make more money. As I said, game companies still make a profit with flat service fee or a subscription. The whole point of F2P + cash shop isn't about making enough, it's about making maximum profits AT the expense of either fair gameplay ( P2W ) or inconveniences ( pay walls ).
    The problem with that is the market bares clear evidence of subscription fatigue. The vast majority of the market have turned their backs on the sub model in gaming. 
    A free to play with microtrans (or in this case B2P with microtrans) makes more fiscal sense as it allows for a lower barrier to entry for the consumer allowing for the opportunity for a higher chance of a better ROI on the title. 

Torval

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,377
    Rhoklaw said:
    Gdemami said:
    Rhoklaw said:

The problem with that is the market bares clear evidence of subscription fatigue. The vast majority of the market have turned their backs on the sub model in gaming. 
    A free to play with microtrans (or in this case B2P with microtrans) makes more fiscal sense as it allows for a lower barrier to entry for the consumer allowing for the opportunity for a higher chance of a better ROI on the title. 

it not low entry cost they care, is the maximum return, with people paying over 1k month on f2p games, why keep a sub?just think if all player in a game, half pay premium and around 100 pay over 1k month, without considerating the ones who spend 10k in a single play to buy everythingit give more return, plus in games like these who tend to have a low retention rate, is nice for then ahve new blood to milk or just to be a sacrifice lamb for higher paying players
    Gdemami
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.