Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

What mmorpg genres have been overlooked or underdeveloped?

AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
I have seen games based on:

Fantasy
Sci-fi
Comic books
Historic wars (world of tanks, world of ships, etc)
Pirates
Puzzle pirates
Wizards
Medieval times
Survival in the outdoors
Very rarely, sports
Very rarely, horror
Disney characters
and last, and least, a Little Pony

There have to be some new things that could be tried.

Maybe more mystery/suspense?
Maybe ancient Egypt

What do you think?

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

ceratop001AlBQuirky

Comments

• AkulasAkulas Member RarePosts: 3,006
    Non rhythmic dancing game told from the 2nd perspective. 

This isn't a signature, you just think it is.

• ceratop001ceratop001 Member RarePosts: 1,594
    Good question. Egypt would be awesome.
    Scot

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    Wasn't there one that was going to start pre-historic and continue all the way through Space/Time travel? If not, they should get on that.

Gut Out!
    Gdemami

What, me worry?

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Need more good sci-fi ones imo. Anarchy is a great game with poor management and no population, eve is eve, SWG is emu only.
    Hariken
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,269
    Scifi fantasy... aliens with magic, technology and natural abilities.
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    edited November 2019
    Star Wars really.

Nothing wrong with that, just pointing it out. I'm not sure if OP wanted stuff that has 100% not been done or not.

Tiller
  • MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    I always wanted a game based on Greek or Roman -- low tech, minimal-to-no magic, natural healing, etc.  A focus on fighting in formation and grappling, with mechanics to help position -- dress (align) left, dress front, etc.  Grappling would be a watered down crowd control mechanism, and people would pull wounded out of the lines and back for first aid.  Think of the fighting in The Videssos Cycle by Harry Turtledove.  It would take a lot of players and support large military operations.  Egypt could work very nicely, though.

Lately, I've wanted a more Traveler-type game, but focused on individual scientist/soldier/adventurer rather than ship captains.  A game based on the old Chaosium Ringworld pnp rpg would be great, but would require a rather hefty IP license, plus lots of content.

Gdemami

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

A good western MMO could be good.
    I would like to see another GOOD pirate MMORPG. I couldn't get into POTBS.
  • TEKK3NTEKK3N Member RarePosts: 1,115
    Easy, Sandbox PVE MMOs.
    Survival games like Ark Is the closest we got.
    Still not a MMO though.
    Star Wars really.

Nothing wrong with that, just pointing it out. I'm not sure if OP wanted stuff that has 100% not been done or not.

If we generalize enough, then everything has already been done.
    Star Wars really.

If we generalize enough, then everything has already been done.
    I'm just saying that Star Wars is in fact SciFi Fantasy, not Scifi like other have mentioned. It fits your bill completely.

Now on that note I would LOVE for someone to create an MMO in the same vein, but without the IP.
    ultimateduck
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Coming soon PSO2. It's the only MMO I'm looking forward too.

I'm just saying that Star Wars is in fact SciFi Fantasy, not Scifi like other have mentioned. It fits your bill completely.

Now on that note I would LOVE for someone to create an MMO in the same vein, but without the IP.
    It fits in a generic sense. Races in Star Wars don't really make a difference. Classes are shallow. Skill lines are bland. It's a known IP with expectations.

I was thinking more along the lines of 3 separate solar systems neighboring each other, with completely different races, classes and sets of abilities... at war.

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Anarchy Online is literally this.
  • iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    robot
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    Need more mythology MMOs. Gods & Heroes had potential but ended up being meh.
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

• TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    Robotech
    H0urg1ass
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Cyberpunk and Steampunk
    H0urg1ass
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    So there's an old RPG system from the late 90's - early 2000's called Deadlands.

Deadlands was an alternate earth Horror/Wild West game that takes place out in the wild west just after the Civil War.

However, history is altered from our own at this point in the fictional world because the Native Americans have been helping "The Old Ones" (Ancient good spirits) protect these sites in the wild west where hordes of Demons were banished to another realm.

Well, when the Native Americans start losing the war against expansionism, they start performing rituals that open these portals back up in a last desperate effort to get the white man off of their territory.

Which doesn't really work, but now there's magic and monsters and demons in the wild west to fight.

Honestly the RPG mechanics themselves were kinda shit, but my RPG group bought the books, borrowed the great lore and played it using the best RPG system ever designed:  GURPS.

If there was a game set in the Deadlands lore, then I would play the absolute shit out of it.  Well, assuming it was good and not just a micro-transaction store front with a minimum effort game/facade as window dressing.
    Iselin
  • GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    it's not the themes, it's the genre itself that has been overlooked. It's gotten turned into something else. And would ya lookit that? It's not doing so well.
    Gdemamiultimateduck
  • centkincentkin Member RarePosts: 1,527
    Underwater where you play mermen of various types against monsters -- all in the 3d world of the sea.
    Utinni said:
    Anarchy Online is literally this.
    I never played Anarchy Online. I know a lot of people liked it. Maybe it's time to modernize it.

I also liked the tabletop game Gamma World. They have some post apocalyptic games out, but nothing with mutations and abilities.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Mendel said:

Lately, I've wanted a more Traveler-type game, 

I love you man. Traveler FTW!

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    I never played Anarchy Online. I know a lot of people liked it. Maybe it's time to modernize it.
    Probably never gonna happen. It's a Funcom game, with all of what that brings: a really good game and world, ideas and mechanics on one side, sloppy and sometimes even buggy implementation and after the cash-in an almost full ignore and maintenance mode on the other...
    They've made a gfx overhaul a few years ago, but that was the last thing in plans, AO is in an "as-is" state now.
    Give it a try, the client is fairly small, the f2p is decent enough until the late endgame, and the world is a good one. Just as the systems, there's no other game where you can play as a bureaucrat :)  (that's a class)

centkin said:
    Underwater where you play mermen of various types against monsters -- all in the 3d world of the sea.
    You can do that in Lemuria (CO) but it's only one zone, not the entire game like in Subnautica for example - I guess that was your inspiration?
    H0urg1ass
  • kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Definitely science fiction. Something based on the Cherryh 's works or Farscape.
    Amathe