Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sad Day for the MMORPG Genre - A legend has passed. (Brad McQuaid)

13»

Comments

  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 2,939
    In general. It is best not to speculate about a death. It is none of our business. 

    But given epidemiology, people that pass suddenly (and are relatively young) usually do it from the following issues:

    - burst aneurysm or vessel abnormality in the brain
    - Trauma - gunshot, car accident, fall, etc
    - Sudden cardiac death - hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is a common one, etc
    - Overwhelming bacterial infection - staph aureus is notorious for this
    - Suicide via firearms or intentional drug ingestion
    - Accidental drug overdose
    - Overwhelming respiratory lung infection - Yes, I've seen Flu kill a 5 year old in 12 hours
    KyleranJean-Luc_Picard
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 6,153
    edited November 2019
    Vrika said:
    Amathe said:
    evilized said:

    Didn't he steal $50k from the pantheon kickstarter? Cool fella.
    We remember and judge people at death based on their best moments and the good they have done, not their lowest.  Brad did quite a lot of good.  He will be remembered for the good he did by a great many people who either like, respect, or love him. You, I suspect, will not be remembered at all. 

    And thus we allow future people to die of drugs too.

    Brad did some great things, but he also had large problems. We feel better if we choose to close our eyes and pretend this isn't yet another known drug user dying too young for unexplained causes.
    People will die of drug overdoses. Nothing anyone can or will do will stop them. Literature, drug help programs on almost every street corner and in every doctor's office, former drug users making lecture circuits. People will die of drug overdoses because they want to. They KNOW all about drugs.

    No need to "use" someone's death as a sounding board for social reforms, yes?

    [edit]
    That was crass and inappropriate. People who die of drug usage don't "want" to die, though some may. Most just have dependency troubles. But I stand by my appropriate times to bring it up statement.
    Mendel

    - Al

    Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR


  • Pink_CandyPink_Candy Member UncommonPosts: 17
    Aw damn. R.I.P. Brad. Very sad news, indeed. :'(
    Starting over is half the fun!
    ~https://eq2.me/HallsofFate/Xsidios~



  • Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member UncommonPosts: 548
    edited November 2019
    Xatsh said:
    I just hope they release Pantheon the way Brad envisioned it and not take the "more profitable route". It will be his final parting gift to all of us in the genre.

    While alot of people disagreed with his approach he should be remembered for what his games did. He wanted to make something much more then just a game in the mmos he worked on, they were worlds which brought people together from every walk of life. They build communities and built life long relationships. His games truly represented what makes the mmo genre so special. He was the man who laid the ground work for all the mmos many of us play now. Without him this genre might of never happened.

    He will forever be a legend of the MMO genre. RIP Brad
    I listened to some interviews with Brad and my impression was he wanted to capture the spirit of Everquest but also wanted to bring it into the modern era. It won't be WoW 2, but it won't be Everquest revamped either.

    I'm sad to hear this. Honestly, I always regretted never trying Vanguard. I didn't have a PC with the specs. I also was bitter by what happened to Everquest, so I fully expected Vanguard to get watered down. Years went by and I lost the bitterness, and moved well past that. Frankly, I've been ready for a while to throw my money at Pantheon. Literally, make it and here's the moeny. It hurts to know he won't be around. He had a special place in me. Everquest was my first MMORPG. And Brad started out as a programmer and game maker. I've programmed since I was a freshman or sophomoor in highschool. I always felt that connection with him.

    Everquest was about connecting with others. Couldn't hide in an instance. It wasn't massive single player. It was Massive Multiplayer. It's too bad that has all been lost behind a wall of text. And I realize me bring this up is opening old wounds. I"m sorry. I guess I can't be well behaved. I know a man died, but people are falling dead everywhere. One day I'll fall dead. Hopefully I won't die with too many regrets.
    Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
    AlBQuirkyPhaserlight
  • ArteriusArterius Member EpicPosts: 2,773
    rodarin said:
    Tiller said:
    Eronakis said:
    Is it confirmed that Brad died from drugs? Or is this just conspiracy theory nonsense?
    It has not been confirmed, so everyone is making assumptions.
    When people heard the news I am sure 99% of them had 'drug overdose' go through their mind before anything else.
    Not going to lie I suspected drug overdose or sucide myself. After I backed Pantheon I had quite a few people that told me that it was a bad idea because of what happened to Vanguard. So I looked up into all that after the fact. The man had some demons. 80% if it was cancer or if he was sick for a considerable amount of time they say something. 

    Such as, "After a long/short battle with cancer so and so passed away."
    AlBQuirkyGdemami
    Currently playing: Outer Worlds (Xbox One X)

    Currently Reading: Skaven Slayer (Gotrek and Felix Book 2)

    Currently Writing: Champions of Legend Book 1 (3rd Draft)

    Currently Watching: Oz (Season 4), Soprano's (Season 1)


  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 36,138
    Arterius said:
    rodarin said:
    Tiller said:
    Eronakis said:
    Is it confirmed that Brad died from drugs? Or is this just conspiracy theory nonsense?
    It has not been confirmed, so everyone is making assumptions.
    When people heard the news I am sure 99% of them had 'drug overdose' go through their mind before anything else.
    Not going to lie I suspected drug overdose or sucide myself. After I backed Pantheon I had quite a few people that told me that it was a bad idea because of what happened to Vanguard. So I looked up into all that after the fact. The man had some demons. 80% if it was cancer or if he was sick for a considerable amount of time they say something. 

    Such as, "After a long/short battle with cancer so and so passed away."
    Let's be honest, if he died running a Tough Mudder they would just say so. Normally when the cause of death isn't revealed is because it would be embarrassing to do so.


    AlBQuirkyGdemami

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,094
    Wow. Rip. This was shocking to me. 

    image

  • TheocritusTheocritus Member EpicPosts: 7,553
    Kyleran said:
    Arterius said:
    rodarin said:
    Tiller said:
    Eronakis said:
    Is it confirmed that Brad died from drugs? Or is this just conspiracy theory nonsense?
    It has not been confirmed, so everyone is making assumptions.
    When people heard the news I am sure 99% of them had 'drug overdose' go through their mind before anything else.
    Not going to lie I suspected drug overdose or sucide myself. After I backed Pantheon I had quite a few people that told me that it was a bad idea because of what happened to Vanguard. So I looked up into all that after the fact. The man had some demons. 80% if it was cancer or if he was sick for a considerable amount of time they say something. 

    Such as, "After a long/short battle with cancer so and so passed away."
    Let's be honest, if he died running a Tough Mudder they would just say so. Normally when the cause of death isn't revealed is because it would be embarrassing to do so.


    It usually takes a couple weeks or so to get toxicology reports doesn't it?
  • AdamantineAdamantine Member RarePosts: 4,428
    Cryomatrix said:
    - burst aneurysm or vessel abnormality in the brain
    - Trauma - gunshot, car accident, fall, etc
    - Sudden cardiac death - hypertrophic cardiomyopathy is a common one, etc
    - Overwhelming bacterial infection - staph aureus is notorious for this
    - Suicide via firearms or intentional drug ingestion
    - Accidental drug overdose
    - Overwhelming respiratory lung infection - Yes, I've seen Flu kill a 5 year old in 12 hours
    That list is by no means complete. People can die without any previous warning. Thats just life. Most of the entries in this list would have a warning, and in this case that didnt happen.

    I havent seen any good evidence that McQuaid was an actual drug addict. He sure functioned very well for one.

    Gdemami
    Please set a sig so I can read your posting even if somebody "agreed" etc with it. Thanks.
  • Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,152
    I have no love for what he did to the genre. He's the guy who started the "theme park" MMO trend with EQ. He's the one of screwed up Vanguard.

    My condolences go to his friends and family though. No one deserves to go so soon. It's my age !
    blueturtle13Gdemami
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Intel Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: ASUS Dual GeForce RTX 2070 SUPER EVO 8GB DDR6 - RAM: 32GB Kingston HyperX Predator DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Samsung U32J590 32" 4K monitor - Second display: Philips 273v 27" monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset - Sound: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.


  • delete5230delete5230 Member EpicPosts: 6,451
    People don't want to have a drug addiction.  That and alcoholism is a chemical imbalance in the brain and body, most are born with it but it usually takes until their a teenager to discover what their body is craving and it gives the feeling of relief and they don't understand it themselves.

    Words can't describe it, it's like a pressure that you can't explain to anyone. 

    Because the brain 'cant understand " along with feeling good, most don't want to do anything about it, don't know theirs help, or want to go through the painful process of stopping. 

    Most seek out others with the same problem subconsciously because they feel loneliness which is another symptom.

    Most often because of the devastation it causes to them and others around them, they retreat into being loners anyway, this is when it's not fun anymore. ITS A HARD LIFE anyway you look at it, help or no help ! 


    If this was Brads faith, understand he didn't want it.... Many feel let down, well it was a hundred times worse for him.  He wanted to accomplish his goals very badly...... I'm absolutely sure he felt shame with the outcome of Vanguard.  He wanted Pantheon baldy, he wanted EVERYONE TO BE HAPPY so he could have dignity. 

    He didn't have an ounce of greed in him, but had an overwhelming feeling to be needed.   

    RIP Brand, I'll say a prayer for you !
    Gdemami
  • VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 6,338
    People don't want to have a drug addiction.  That and alcoholism is a chemical imbalance in the brain and body, most are born with it but it usually takes until their a teenager to discover what their body is craving and it gives the feeling of relief and they don't understand it themselves. 
    Drug addictions aren't a problem about the addict being born different. Human body uses a lot of chemicals to regulate our feelings and mood, and drugs are chemicals that affect that system.

    Everyone of us is born with mechanisms to make us addicted if we get drugs. Then some use drugs enough to make ourselves addicted, while others don't.
     
Sign In or Register to comment.