Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Tencent | Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
edited November 2019 in The Pub at MMORPG.COM
Tencent has been featured in three gaming related stories in the past week over on GameIndustryBiz including this on their latest investment.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-11-15-tencent-buying-10-percent-of-sumo-digital

Here's a snapshot of just part of their reach.

"Tencent already fully owns League of Legends developer Riot Games, and has interests varying from 5% to 85% in Ubisoft, Activision Blizzard, Bluehole, Glu Mobile, Epic Games, Paradox Interactive, Miniclip, Supercell and Grinding Gear Games."

They are already and will continue to be a significant influencer on the game industry going forward. 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

[Deleted User]AlBQuirkybcbully

Comments

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    Arterius said:
    Ok... cool. Is this a big deal? I mean we have known tencent has their hands in the gaming cookie jar for a while
    Nope, just an interesting observation, you may return to watching a cooking show or whatever.
    [Deleted User]PhaserlightAmathe

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• RexKushmanRexKushman Member RarePosts: 639
    Screw Tencent and their scummy ChiCom owners. 
    [Deleted User]

• iixviiiixiixviiiix Member RarePosts: 2,256
    Death by China
    AlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    DAMN-IT-ALL!!  I liked that movie! Tencent owns it? :lol:

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

In one of three stories this week, it said Tencent plans to create new console games using Nintendo IP and characters for overseas markets.

They really aren't seeking to use the IP to create more mobile games as Tencent already dominates that market in China.

But here's the really interesting quote regarding why they won't be putting a lot of emphasis on Nintendo for mobile.

I really like how the last sentence is phrased, "make people pay" like they are taking money.from their customer's wallets by force...(and it will soon be coming our way)

:D 

"Although Nintendo's smartphone games, including the recent Mario Kart Tour, could be localised for the Chinese market, it's not the primary goal for Tencent as it is already dominant in this area and "Nintendo games are not constructed to make people pay a lot of money," a different Tencent official told WSJ."
    bcbully

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    That sounds about right.  Dragalia Lost was a Nintendo-backed mobile game and Nontendo actually metaphorically slapped the developers and told them they were going overboard with the p2w.

Super Mario Run's model is almost "why even bother trying to sell anything?" And mario kart and fire emblem heroes is just a gacha IIRC and maybe one time consummables for MK.  Compared to most Ten Cent mobile games that have a gacha and stamina purchases and 500 dollar pets with huge stat boosts and gold for sale etc etc etc...
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    you are wrong there, the real owner of Tencent is the Finance ministry of South Africa, Tencent is only HQ in China. 
    Kyleranbcbully
  • skeaserskeaser Member RarePosts: 4,180
    you are wrong there, the real owner of Tencent is the Finance ministry of South Africa, Tencent is only HQ in China. 
    Naspers only owns 31% of Tencent...
    Sig so that badges don't eat my posts.

edited November 2019
    skeaser said:
    dude it's a publicly traded company. 60% shares are publicly owned (these people don't run the company)  
    skeaser said:
    dude it's a publicly traded company. 60% shares are publicly owned (these people don't run the company)  
    Right, and the largest shareholder is Naspers (S. African company) at 31%. I can't find anything tying Tencent to S. Africa other than that. Where do you get that S. Africa owns Tencent?

Letsskeaser said:
    skeaser said:
    Right, and the largest shareholder is Naspers (S. African company) at 31%. I can't find anything tying Tencent to S. Africa other than that. Where do you get that S. Africa owns Tencent?
    Who own naspers? with 98% publicly traded the largest share holder is Public Investment Corporations (SOC) at 16.3% the rest is pretty much not even worth mentioning less than 1%. and what is Public Investment corporation? is a company that managed government south africa pension funds where the ministry of finance is the chairman. It is 100% south african gov owned.
    skeaser
    Letsskeaser said:
    skeaser said:
    Who own naspers? with 98% publicly traded the largest share holder is Public Investment Corporations (SOC) at 16.3% the rest is pretty much not even worth mentioning less than 1%. and what is Public Investment corporation? is a company that managed government south africa pension funds where the ministry of finance is the chairman. It is 100% south african gov owned.
    So you're saying that 16.3% of 98% is 100%...

• kitaradkitarad Member LegendaryPosts: 7,910
    Very appropriate title.

edited November 2019
    skeaser said:
    Letsskeaser said:
    skeaser said:
    buddy 16.3% might looks like nothing but you need at least another 20 different majority owner to band together to oppose their voice, if you own only let say $20000 of the company would you spend $3000 to travel to south africa and attend the share holder meeting? This is the reality of publicly traded company, majority holder can run the company like their own even they hold not what might look like not much.
    skeaser said:
    Letsskeaser said:
    skeaser said:
    buddy 16.3% might looks like nothing but you need at least another 20 different majority owner to band together to oppose their voice, if you own only let say $20000 of the company would you spend $3000 to travel to south africa and attend the share holder meeting? This is the reality of publicly traded company, majority holder can run the company like their own even they hold not what might look like not much.
    That still doesn't make it 100%

skeaser said:
    skeaser said:
    Letsskeaser said:
    skeaser said:
    That still doesn't make it 100%
    the 100% is south african gov ownership of Public Investment Corporation.
  • RungarRungar Member RarePosts: 1,132
    geneology of all corporations leads back to the same entity eventually. Not that youll find it on witchcraftepedia.  They only require 10% to control.  tencent, 10 cent 10%....

wake up.
    bcbully
    .05 of a second to midnight
    edited November 2019
    At first I was going to call BS on some of the information being provided in this thread, but after digging a bit and seeing some weirdly conflicting stories and  financial reports I'm thinking perhaps a different  response is in order.

Hail Hydra!

:# 

It's like a plot right out of a Marvel movie.
    AlBQuirkyScotbcbullyIselin

• KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    Yep.  Gonna get political here for a second without being partisan.

For all of the president's tough talk on China this is either totally under his radar or he just doesn't care.  This is a prime example of his reasoning for engaging in a trade war with China, market domination from a foreign country (especially China).  If he really did care about trying to "fight china" he would kick tencent out of the country.  

Now for the partisan part:  The games industry, people who work in it, and the general gaming consumer are not his target demographic, which is why it doesn't matter to him.  

• Jamar870Jamar870 Member UncommonPosts: 570
    For CoD mobile that the guy is ranting about in the video,  do you have to pay to get the game and is it sub based? Otherwise none of what he is ranting on about surprises me. That why I stay away from mobile and look at with a jauniced  eye F2P games on PC.
  • bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    Kyleran said:
    At first I was going to call BS on some of the information being provided in this thread, but after digging a bit and seeing some weirdly conflicting stories and  financial reports I'm thinking perhaps a different  response is in order.

Hail Hydra!

I once went down the rabbit hole on opioid distribution, and guess where it lead? Yep that’s right...  Captain America 
    Kyleran
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
    edited November 2019
    Kyleran said:

Hail Hydra!

The first part of indoctrination is targeting youth./ What is the best way for China to slowly push their values into American culture, video games. We already seen what a "small" contribution in the NBA created. 

This is a real issue, and anyone who is going to argue it is not big of deal, go visit Germany and see all of the horrific places people died, because someone thought , Nazi's , not a big deal.

Where did Tencent git the revenue to buy into all these places...

Nazis?  South African Apartiedists who had to liquidate all of their Krugerands?  (Lethal Weapon reference)

Maybe the film makers in Hollywood have been trying to enlighten us all along....

Weird.

Gimme that blue pill please.

edited November 2019
    skeaser said:
    Apparently Naspers was uncomfortable with their prominence in Tencent so earlier this year they took steps to shift part of their stake to an EU based holding company,  mostly for appearance reasons.

Scary stuff really, as it does appear like a direct attempt to mask where the money comes from and who really are the beneficial owners. 

https://www.google.com/amp/s/amp.ft.com/content/6130128c-4ecd-11e9-9c76-bf4a0ce37d49

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited November 2019
    Kyleran said:

Hail Hydra!

What? You thought Hydra was fictional? :)

Don't you just hate it when countries recently converted to capitalism do it better than the always capitalist ones?

The part that seems to be lost in all the sleuthing is that cashing in on games is the largest entertainment investment opportunity out there and all the usual suspects that are just in it for big returns of big bucks are all over it using every trick in the book.

Think of that next time you're tempted to defend a monetization scheme. You're just defending the carpetbaggers. 
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Another "China bad!" post.