Quantcast

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Something most game pass on

xD_GamingxD_Gaming Member EpicPosts: 2,690
One of the things I love about mmorpg is exploration, and that seems to be a forgotten art in the this era of games. We have everything from filled out maps with locations , auto travel to locations and auto pathing. The kind of exploring where nothing is set in stone has gone bye bye, even by the second generation of mmos in early 2000. 

Star Citizen is bringing back that exploration feeling, not all things are laid out in a row. 

One of my favorite things to do is look for the drug lab. I watch youtube videos and walkthroughs thinking, today is the day I will fianlly find it ! Yet I still haven't found it lol/.

There are several reason I can't find it, one is that is is so small you literally need to be under 1000 meters to see it.  Another reason that most games don't have is that the darn planet is spinning on axis, so if I stop to look around, the planet as already thrown me a few 100 meters off of the area I wanted to look. 

I found it once in 3.3 or 3.4 and was gunned down right in the airlock but if I do find it again, I will post a screenshot here :D

Sometimes the journey is the biggest reward. :) 

There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
Twitter : @xD_Gaming_Merch
xD Merch : https://bit.ly/2v13MT8
"Dragons are tilly folly !"
ErillionKyleranAsm0deusRueTheWhirl

Comments

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,576
    How Star Citizen of them.

Have something thats random and impossible to find and let people think looking for it is 'content'. Or more likely isnt implemented in every patch thus why its only found here and there....

Sort of like the Black Fortress in Krull. I am surprised they havent sold Fire Mares or some space equivalent to help you find it before sundown....
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    Lots of MMOs have a lot of exploration mechanics. Have you not played an mmo before?

What the hell are you on about SC having planets that spin around (so does ED, duh)?
    That's like saying WoW is a better mmo than Star Citizen because SC doesn't have orcs.

The extent you commandos will go to convince people that your game has meaningful content.

rpmcmurphyKyleran

..Cake..

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 13,354
    edited November 2019
    Nothing wrong with rewarding exploring as long as there is other content, like missions.
    Post edited by Scot on
    rpmcmurphy

25 Agrees

You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

• BabuinixBabuinix Member EpicPosts: 3,066
    Scot said:
    Nothing wrong with rewarding exploring as long as their is other content, like missions.
    There's some quests that will give you coordinates and take you to drug lab's to dispose of "illegal" stuff. But without accepting those quests they are very difficult to find without hints, like the ones from the the video bellow (spoiler alert).

ErillionxD_GamingKyleran
  • rpmcmurphyrpmcmurphy Member EpicPosts: 3,497
    Speaking of missions

"For Star Citizen, we’re going to try and do something a lot different. Designers are going to hand-craft individual mission components, and then specify how those pieces can be customized at run-time and linked to others to form coherent chains that effectively represent small, unique stories consisting of multiple sequential mission objectives. Responding to a simple distress call, then, becomes a lot more interesting because – just like in real life – you never know what might unfold as a result. Prevent a freighter from being destroyed by brigands, and you might collect your reward and leave. Search the computer core of the attackers’ ship, though, and you might ascertain the location of one of their remote outposts. Infiltrate that base and you might learn where they stash their stolen booty and make off with a fortune…if you can figure out how to defeat or draw away the heavily armed ship defending it. I think that the end result is going to be considerably greater than the sum of the individual pieces, and provide players with a much more diverse and interesting world to explore, where there are a practically infinite supply of threads that, when pulled, can dynamically instantiate long strands of a story that the player can choose to pursue or ignore as they see fit."

5 years later and your basic fetch quest bugs out with frightening regularity.

WalkinGlennnewbismx
  • MaxBaconMaxBacon Member EpicPosts: 7,275
    edited November 2019
    I do like the potential the game has for exploration, they just need to work out the spawning in and out of stuff that can be found, from shipwrecks, cave entrances, outposts, rare resources, etc... 

The game here needs is a random nature to the spawn points of some content, both in planets and space, and there will be a self-feeding exploration game loop on multiple types of gameplay.

MMOs always struggle with exploration, and the core reason is that the experience is just the first time, then stuff gets mapped and the whole discovery factor is gone.
  • MaurgrimMaurgrim Member RarePosts: 1,271
    Elite Dangerous says hello.
    Scotsgel
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 529
    One of the things I love about mmorpg is exploration, and that seems to be a forgotten art in the this era of games.

One of my favorite things to do is look for the drug lab. I watch youtube videos and walkthroughs thinking, today is the day I will fianlly find it ! Yet I still haven't found it lol/.

So you explored youtube for the location and still couldn't find it? Really exciting gameplay.
    sgel
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,404
    Exploration is certainly fun. Is there there something this game offers by way of exploration that, say, No Man's Sky doesn't?
    Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• FinvegaFinvega Member UncommonPosts: 190
    Just wow. All the folks invested in the hate. I don't even play the game but think maybe I should buy it now given the quality of the posts.
    ErillionxD_Gaming
    edited November 2019
    Amathe said:
    Exploration is certainly fun. Is there there something this game offers by way of exploration that, say, No Man's Sky doesn't?
    That'd be different games, NMS is all about exploration moving around finding things is the core of the game.

SC is just focusing on the MP then PvP/competitive aspect mixed in with the game's economy. Right now exploration exists but you can end up finding maps because it's static locations and/or spawn points.

Aspects that differs more on how it is wanted to work would be information running, the thing of finding say a resource hotspot of some rare mineral and be want to sell that info to other interested players. The MP and economy aspect mixed in provide more interesting content to me, ofc other people disagree as they just want solo.

Jumpoints is what by design shows to be wanted on exploration, the jump points the ways to jump between star systems will change over time, if I recall this correctly the nav maps of players will not be always updated with the wormhole data so that obv generates a demand for updated navigation charts and players looking for them, is that sort of bits that show the wanted type of exploration on the game.

It's aspects of it to come ofc. On that topic, if leaks hint at something jumpoints may finally be announced later this month.
    AmathexD_Gaming
  • xD_GamingxD_Gaming Member EpicPosts: 2,690
    Arkade99 said:
    One of the things I love about mmorpg is exploration, and that seems to be a forgotten art in the this era of games.

So you explored youtube for the location and still couldn't find it? Really exciting gameplay.
    scale, I keep saying that word. Scale is beyond anything currently available. I watched some elite dangerous videos, it doesn't come close  in terms of planet mass and travel distances.
    Babuinix said:
    Scot said:
    Nothing wrong with rewarding exploring as long as their is other content, like missions.
    There's some quests that will give you coordinates and take you to drug lab's to dispose of "illegal" stuff. But without accepting those quests they are very difficult to find without hints, like the ones from the the video bellow (spoiler alert).

it never works out for me like any of these videos lol. 
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 529
    edited November 2019
    Arkade99 said:

scale, I keep saying that word. Scale is beyond anything currently available. I watched some elite dangerous videos, it doesn't come close  in terms of planet mass and travel distances.
    Are you saying that without using youtubes and walkthroughs, that you wouldn't be able to find things because of the scale of the game? Someone had to be the first to find it, right? 

Whatever about the game, I don't really care. I just found it ironic that you advocated exploration in a game where you used information gathered by other people to do it. That isn't exploration to me, but to each their own, I guess.
    edited November 2019
    Arkade99 said:

LOL wut?

Without wanting to get into a dick waving competition....

Going from Hurston to ArcCorp is like 143 light seconds, that's a 5-15 minute journey depending on ship, in Elite that is a 20 second journey so imagine how far you can travel in 5-15 minutes.
    You have systems that take almost 2 hours to get from the main star to an outpost (at 2000x the speed of light!), you can travel from Sol to Sag A* (26,000 light years) and then you can do the same going away from Sag A*.

SC's planets are scaled down, they are 1:4 or 1:6 iirc, distances are 1:10 whereas everything in Elite is 1:1.

AmathesgelKefo
  • NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,634
    edited November 2019
    Finding the drug lab gets easy once you go there a few times. It all depends how you approach Yela. Then, you line your ship up with the landmarks below you. In the horizon, you can barely see fuzzy dark dots, those are the mountains. The "dot" furthest on the left is where the crater is. If you aim your receptacle on on that "dot" before atmo entry, you'll go directly to the crater.

SC has exploration potential, but will be wasted if it remains void of content, barren, and lifeless.

SC does have large worlds, but that's not because other studios couldn't figure out bigger maps.

The reason why other games don't have bigger maps is because they want you to be able and see other players. Whereas in SC, you'll only see 49 other people, spread out on those "biggest scope planets ever!", not counting space.

The large planets could work in SC, if they can get the server instances to hold more than 50 players.

Also for it to work, they would have to add content, life, and a purpose for going there, other than taking screenshots of rocks and lighting effects. None of this has been done yet. None of it.

Nothing what I just said would be a problem if this was 2014. But it's not. It's almost 2020, And isn't the game close to Beta/release (I can never keep up)?
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
    edited November 2019
    Arkade99 said:
    Arkade99 said:

Are you saying that without using youtubes and walkthroughs, that you wouldn't be able to find things because of the scale of the game? Someone had to be the first to find it, right? 

Whatever about the game, I don't really care. I just found it ironic that you advocated exploration in a game where you used information gathered by other people to do it. That isn't exploration to me, but to each their own, I guess.
    With youtube and walk throughs I still can't find the lab . Scale. Just because you have a treasure map, doesn't mean you are going to find the treasure. For me, that is just awesome. 
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    With youtube and walk throughs I still can't find the lab . Scale.
    I don't think scale is the problem here :smiley:
    KefoNorseGod

..Cake..

edited November 2019
    Arkade99 said:

LOL wut?

Without wanting to get into a dick waving competition....

Going from Hurston to ArcCorp is like 143 light seconds, that's a 5-15 minute journey depending on ship, in Elite that is a 20 second journey so imagine how far you can travel in 5-15 minutes.
    You have systems that take almost 2 hours to get from the main star to an outpost (at 2000x the speed of light!), you can travel from Sol to Sag A* (26,000 light years) and then you can do the same going away from Sag A*.

SC's planets are scaled down, they are 1:4 or 1:6 iirc, distances are 1:10 whereas everything in Elite is 1:1.

The travel times end up adapted to the scale of the game-world, and to how commonly and how far you usually will travel.

Comparing ED to SC that ends up obviously different cases, content on SC is far more centralized on a much smaller space (in comparison), so you can understand why they do not want really high travel speeds on longer distances within the game-world.
    xD_Gaming
    MaxBacon said:
    The travel times end up adapted to the scale of the game-world, and to how commonly and how far you usually will travel.
    Kind of true, the reason SC uses 0.2c is to make their world seem larger despite it being scaled down 10x. In Elite travel times are sped up because otherwise it would take too long to get anywhere with a 1:1 system.
    MaxBacon said:
    Comparing ED to SC that ends up obviously different cases, content on SC is far more centralized on a much smaller space (in comparison), so you can understand why they do not want really high travel speeds on longer distances within the game-world.
    It's more centralised because everything is contained within a single system, if they had 100 systems in place but the current content was spread throughout they would probably want faster travel times.

----

Got a nice PM from @Prime_Directive in response to my post correcting his idea that SC had larger scale, planet mass etc. He generously tells me "you are permanently blocked so might as well stop replying to my threads. thank you."

LOL
    NorseGodsgel
  • cheyanecheyane Member EpicPosts: 7,258
    MaxBacon said:
    Kind of true, the reason SC uses 0.2c is to make their world seem larger despite it being scaled down 10x. In Elite travel times are sped up because otherwise it would take too long to get anywhere with a 1:1 system.
    MaxBacon said:
    It's more centralised because everything is contained within a single system, if they had 100 systems in place but the current content was spread throughout they would probably want faster travel times.

----

Got a nice PM from @Prime_Directive in response to my post correcting his idea that SC had larger scale, planet mass etc. He generously tells me "you are permanently blocked so might as well stop replying to my threads. thank you."

LOL
    Looks like he does not want to be corrected it blows his threads when people come and put corrections in. The fact that he sent you a PM is hilarious.

You create threads and expect people to swallow stuff hook, line and sinker. This is a discussion board there are bound to be differences in opinion and once you put a thread on a forum it ceases to be yours. You lose control over it. If you want to have control over what you write then you might try a diary.
    rpmcmurphyxD_GamingaRtFuLThinGkitarad
    Martens: "With all due respect, madam, where are you going with this?"
    Avasarala: "Wherever I goddamn like."
    edited November 2019
    As my bvlock list grows: I am baffled how someon corrects another's person opinion of what he or she enjoys about a game. The hate for Star Citizen is reaching a level i've never seen before, and I hope the moderators can take some action because I'm running out of block spaces.

I like to explore, almost ever game I can find things instantly, even in Black Desert  in the desert I'm able to navigate place to place. 
    "FOR ME" I have a hard time  with Star Citizen because it is scaled in a way that makes exploration fun. To say I need corrected on that opinion is absolute bull shit and I kind of getting fucking bord of the trolls.

Maybe in 2008 or so this was the norm for us here, not in 2019, there is no room for the amount ignorance toward Star Citizen is getting that can be  remotely fucking justified.

With that said. Star Citizen is probably my second favorite mmorpg ever in my my list of all time top 5 mmo's and  holly fuck, it just an alpha.... 
    CoticsgelPhaserlightKyleran
  • KefoKefo Member EpicPosts: 4,229
    edited November 2019
    As my bvlock list grows: I am baffled how someon corrects another's person opinion of what he or she enjoys about a game. The hate for Star Citizen is reaching a level i've never seen before, and I hope the moderators can take some action because I'm running out of block spaces.

I like to explore, almost ever game I can find things instantly, even in Black Desert  in the desert I'm able to navigate place to place. 
    "FOR ME" I have a hard time  with Star Citizen because it is scaled in a way that makes exploration fun. To say I need corrected on that opinion is absolute bull shit and I kind of getting fucking bord of the trolls.

Maybe in 2008 or so this was the norm for us here, not in 2019, there is no room for the amount ignorance toward Star Citizen is getting that can be  remotely fucking justified.

With that said. Star Citizen is probably my second favorite mmorpg ever in my my list of all time top 5 mmo's and  holly fuck, it just an alpha.... 
    I think people were more commenting on the fact that you say it’s all about exploration for you in SC but then in the same breath you mention how you look up YouTube videos to find out where you’re going first.

Thats not exploration, that’s following a map which is fine but don’t try to sell people on how SC for you is some awesome exploration game when you aren’t really exploring in that example
    NorseGod
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 36,379
    Maurgrim said:
    Elite Dangerous says hello.
    EVE also has a very complex exploration mechanic requiring proficiency in scanning, master a hacking mini game coupled with the need to rapidly recover the loot before sleeper NPCs or player characters try to kill you.

KefoPhaserlightxD_GamingErillion

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing FO76 at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,634

I knew it. I knew what this thread was really about.

KefoKyleran
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/