Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

End of an era, DAOC goes F2P today

KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
edited November 2019 in Dark Age of Camelot
They should just let me start threads in News and Discussion seeing how I'm having to do the editors job today. ;)  

This just in from MOP where apparently they did not take an extra vacation day.

“Endless Conquest is here! Once the servers are back up, Dark Age of Camelot will be able to be played for free (with some restrictions) without an end date on both Ywain and Gaheris. Eligible accounts should receive an email by the end of tomorrow but even if the email hasn’t come through, any previously subscribed account that has been inactive for 180+ days and is in good-standing is eligible to play for free as soon as the servers return! […] Getting back into the game has never been easier with new and improved Returning player quest rewards and updated King’s Armor freely given to all level 50s!"

https://massivelyop.com/2019/11/12/dark-age-of-camelot-is-officially-going-free-to-play-today-with-endless-conquest/

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

WarEnsembleConstantineMerusAmatheultimateduckAzaron_Nightblade

Comments

• WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Thanks for posting this. 
    Mendel
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,741
    A shame to see its going F2P but good to see DAOC is still going, some have tried to imitate Realm versus Realm, none have done it anywhere near as good.
    KyleranMendelmeerclarRungarultimateduckAmatheAzaron_Nightblade
  • PortzPortz Member UncommonPosts: 118
    I don't see new folks who never played jumping into this game. Game is too old for me.
    Azaron_NightbladeAlomar
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,372
    edited November 2019
    Portz said:
    I don't see new folks who never played jumping into this game. Game is too old for me.
    What? You've never tried some old school MMORPG for the first time and found the game of your dreams? 

Yeah, me neither. ;)

I suppose they are hoping to draw back former players who might still enjoy a bit of RVR  but aren't willing to pay a monthly sub to do so.

I would think however much of that market would already be playing one of two good free shards which have long been available such as a group of my old DAOC guildmates still do regularly.
    PhaserlightAzaron_Nightblade

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Portz said:
    Horse riding as an activity may date to 1600 BC, and probably a lot further back.  That doesn't mean it can't be entertaining and fun today.  Old things can be good.  Don't dismiss it for that reason.

F2P is something that might help DAoC.  If so, that's a good thing.  That game really relies on a larger population, preferably evenly distributed across the 3 realms and across real-world time zones.  No one likes the Hibbies who all live in Japan/Korea/China and routinely conquer everything without opposition.

Amathe

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Kyleran said:

They should just let me start threads in News and Discussion seeing how I'm having to do the editors job today. ;)  

They are busy writing articles about Hong Kong. Can't be troubled with, you know, games and stuff. Especially big news in one of the most iconic games in mmorpg history.
    MendelKyleranultimateduckAlomar

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

The age and low quality graphics , 
    Don't worry. I hear there is a Tickle Me Elmo mod in the works for players who need the extra graphics.
    Kyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    Don't worry. I hear there is a Tickle Me Elmo mod in the works for players who need the extra graphics.
    take it you never got headaches so bad you couldn't do anything from low poly and texture graphics. Hope you never do..
    Yeah if you have a medical issue as opposed to just liking shiney graphics issue, my apologies. Sorry about that.
    [Deleted User]

The age and low quality graphics , I think the game is going to slowly phase out. I may try it, but with my eyes  as bad as they are, most likely won't be able to handle the low res textures.
    Its generally the controls which turn most off.  They respond decent enough but the entire UI feels clunky and certainly not up to more modern standards.
    [Deleted User]

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Amathe said:
    take it you never got headaches so bad you couldn't do anything from low poly and texture graphics. Hope you never do..
    In the case of bad eyes (Cornea Transplant here and need another), I'd strongly recommend avoiding Anarchy Online.  Far inferior graphics than any of the old games still running.  Blocky and difficult even to determine which way an NPC is facing.  Of course, this advice borders on the blind leading the blind.

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,048
    Ky didn't we play on the same private server of this game that had the older version of the game. I liked the game it had some nice positional combat that made it interesting.
    Kyleran
    Chamber of Chains
  • ultimateduckultimateduck Member EpicPosts: 1,266
    LOL, the graphics aren't that bad. It still has some of the best spell effects in any game I've played.

GdemamiKyleranAlomar
  • PortzPortz Member UncommonPosts: 118
    Mendel said:
    Portz said:
    Horse riding as an activity may date to 1600 BC, and probably a lot further back.  That doesn't mean it can't be entertaining and fun today.  Old things can be good.  Don't dismiss it for that reason.

F2P is something that might help DAoC.  If so, that's a good thing.  That game really relies on a larger population, preferably evenly distributed across the 3 realms and across real-world time zones.  No one likes the Hibbies who all live in Japan/Korea/China and routinely conquer everything without opposition.

I know, but still learning curve is probably too high and people who played this game for the past 18 years(?) are way too deep into this game that I think I won't be able to compete with them. Might be worth for casual play, but I would rather play something singleplayer then.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Don't even bother with this. EA has put its foot all over this with all the restrictions. It's swtor all over again.
    GdemamimeddyckDragonJockey
  • olepiolepi Member EpicPosts: 2,805
    What strikes me is how modern games are dumbed way down from DAOC days. For example, DAOC has two classes for mezzing, just in one realm. And one of those, the minstrel, has three different paths to go down. And each realm has different classes. And each class has multiple lines to specialize in.

Modern games, like ESO, might also have multiple realms, but the classes are the same. There are only four classes, and there are only two different ways to specialize. Almost everybody on all sides has the same setup.
    [Deleted User]ultimateduckcheyaneKyleran

------------
    2024: 47 years on the Net.

olepi said:
    What strikes me is how modern games are dumbed way down from DAOC days. For example, DAOC has two classes for mezzing, just in one realm. And one of those, the minstrel, has three different paths to go down. And each realm has different classes. And each class has multiple lines to specialize in.

Modern games, like ESO, might also have multiple realms, but the classes are the same. There are only four classes, and there are only two different ways to specialize. Almost everybody on all sides has the same setup.
    In DAoC, every skill type has a main and backup. The sorcerer is the main mezzer, the minstrel is the backup. Cleric is the main healer, friar is backup. Different realms have different combinations so all of the realms have the same access to the same skills, just in different combinations. It's an amazing system.
    Kyleran
  • cheyanecheyane Member LegendaryPosts: 9,048
    edited November 2019
    olepi said:

It was amazing how they could make so many classes instead of repeating them for the 3 realms. They also created different skills and they were varied for each realm. Developers are so lazy about that these days.

They figured people play anyway so why not just cut down their work.
    KyleranultimateduckGdemami
    Chamber of Chains
    cheyane said:
    Ky didn't we play on the same private server of this game that had the older version of the game. I liked the game it had some nice positional combat that made it interesting.
    Most likely, both shards follow the 1.69 version with one being pretty close to the original while the other adds significant QOL improvements and is better suited for those wanting to get to end game RVR as quickly as possible.

I've played them both so not sure which one we crossed paths (or swords maybe) on.

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    cheyane said:
    olepi said:

It was amazing how they could make so many classes instead of repeating them for the 3 realms. They also created different skills and they were varied for each realm. Developers are so lazy about that these days.

They figured people play anyway so why not just cut down their work.
    Part of it may be laziness but a bigger part, IMO is PvP players constantly whining about the tiniest discrepancies in what one side can have that the other can't.

Even in the early days of DAoC there was a small bit of that, especially directed at Midgard with their stun locks. But we just started calling them "Stungard," grinned about it and carried on.

By the time Warhammer Online came along it was already different. Despite the classes being largely mirrored I remember the never ending angry whining about how the Shaman were better than their Archmage counterpart.

Even WOW threw in the towel and just gave Shamen to the Alliance and Paladins to the Horde.

The reason that games like ESO have identical builds available for each side is simply a couple of decades of experience with PvPers, who will always blame their own deaths on extraneous circumstances beyond their control ("it's that freaking animation cancelling") whining about the other guy's class that they can't play.

I expect that Camelot Unchained with its DAoC-like unique classes per side whenever it launches, will be a shit show of constant whining for that reason. 
    ultimateduck[Deleted User]gervaise1
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

HAHA, I remember Stungard, or Thane laghammers and LA shadowblades. Midgard had some funky things in their favor back then. Suddenly it was Hibs and their heat debuffs, Champs debuffing you so bad you couldn't walk, unstoppable Wardens with bubble and buff stripping.

The classes and realms were always getting adjusted. Some cried and left, others made due with whatever nerf they were hit with and others would just reroll.

I loved it.

Iselin[Deleted User]
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    HAHA, I remember Stungard, or Thane laghammers and LA shadowblades. Midgard had some funky things in their favor back then. Suddenly it was Hibs and their heat debuffs, Champs debuffing you so bad you couldn't walk, unstoppable Wardens with bubble and buff stripping.

The classes and realms were always getting adjusted. Some cried and left, others made due with whatever nerf they were hit with and others would just reroll.

I loved it.

Yeah. I rather have the differences too.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
  • Pink_CandyPink_Candy Member UncommonPosts: 17
    I used to LOVE DAoC back in the day. I still have my original account but there's been so many changes, I can't even play my toons anymore...Especially my Healer  :'(
    I am not a "gamer girl". I am a gamer. I play video games.
    I don't take slutty pictures while holding a controller

• Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,052
    The DAoC era ended with ToA.
    Kyleran
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    Viper482 said:
    The DAoC era ended with ToA.
    According to that video I linked you no longer need to do ToA
    Viper482