Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Star Wars: The Old Republic - Onslaught Review - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited November 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageStar Wars: The Old Republic - Onslaught Review - MMORPG.com

Star Wars: The Old Republic – Onslaught 6.0 Patch has brought new features to the game which includes new story content, two planets, a flashpoint, an operation, a gearing system, and quality of life updates. It is a lot but the new DLC feels like it could have been so much more.

Read the full story here

Comments

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,079
    Next content update is already coming shortly after the new year, according to what they said on the forum.
    Fedaygin
  • parpinparpin Member UncommonPosts: 220
    it was ok expansion although i would not call it expansion, it is more like episode rather than expansion,as veteran swtor player i was expecting small episode considering their man power and budget,worth 15$ to unlock it forever on your account but not more than that unless you enjoy gear grind, i hope they get better in future.
    Fedaygin
  • azarhalazarhal Member RarePosts: 1,402

Valentina said:

Next content update is already coming shortly after the new year, according to what they said on the forum.

Mid-December actually, as 6.0.2 will contain new missions to Mek-Sha and the Tharan Alert for Consular in term of content.
    Fedaygin
  • VexiusxVexiusx Member UncommonPosts: 212

Gorwe said:

Honestly? Why don't they let SWTOR end? Profit, I get it, but there's hardly anything that can compare to 1-50 in SWTOR. And SWTOR should've ended with DK(or at the very latest, Ziost).

Thats a pretty stupid idea, it's like saying wow should of died after we killed the lich king.

Of course now, there are loads of players playing the game and it's profitable enough to create new content for it so as long as enough people enjoy it and pay for it they will keep creating content.

Just cause you don't like it doesn't mean that other people don't.
    retiredmjScotty787Fedaygin
  • BakgrindBakgrind Member UncommonPosts: 423
    edited November 2019

Gorwe said:
    Honestly? Why don't they let SWTOR end? Profit, I get it, but there's hardly anything that can compare to 1-50 in SWTOR. And SWTOR should've ended with DK(or at the very latest, Ziost).
    Well SWTOR's contract is good to go until around 2023 so until then Disney will continue to allow Bioware to pump out the piece meal content  at least until then. I have been looking for a reason to come back to the game, but sadly have found none. And what's sad is  think that the game has enough value for me to warrant a sub fee.  The game deserves better.

I agree with you that the best part of the game is the vanilla class  stories. In fact you will find that most SWTOR apologists will say "Sure, they're pretty far behind most other MMOs in releasing content, but I still have hope that things will return to the good old days of 3.0, in one form or another. Maybe I'm just naive, idk. If nothing else, I'm still having fun re-playing the vanilla class stories." People like that are the reason SWTOR doesn't get nice things."  And that's really a really sad statement because the game needs to be more than just remember when, it needs to go forward

It reminds me of this scene in from the Soprano's when everyone was sitting around eating and revisiting things that happened in the past. And Tony has to tell them that remember when is the lowest form of conversation...   
     https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XhTuYKR-ejo

edited November 2019

azarhal said:

Valentina said:

Mid-December actually, as 6.0.2 will contain new missions to Mek-Sha and the Tharan Alert for Consular in term of content.

Yeah that is true, but I am just talking about the next "big" update. They didn't release as many chapters in this expansion as they normally do at the beginning because they're focusing on building new gameplay content outside of the story too, at least according to what they said in live streams leading up to Onslaught because the last few expansions have been very primarily focused on story. They also temporarily lost a lot of their dev team during development of Onslaught to Anthem, most of which just recently returned to SW:TOR so now they have to play catch up. We shall see if they actually do. I did enjoy Onslaught, it's worth playing and subbing for IMO. I was hesitant to but am glad I did. I do wish they'd had a couple more chapters ready for launch because it does feel a bit too fast, but the expansion is way more alt-friendly than previous expansions have been. Once you understand the gear system, I think it is a really good change for the most part from the previous conquest system.
    Fedaygin
  • residentxresidentx Member UncommonPosts: 123
    Bioware needs to INVEST in this game like they did in the beginning. We need CLASS stories not one.
    GorweFedaygin
  • Dr_BinksDr_Binks Member UncommonPosts: 271
    There are some old bugs in the game that have been there for day one and they will be there for ever bucause it would take a new client to fix it. This is really old news so since it's known fact you should really add a foot note to that affect.

You also have to realize that this was just the introduction to the new story line and they were also tided up with the mess of Anthem. So I think it really needs a bit more then jus 6.5!!
    Fedaygin
  • Dr_BinksDr_Binks Member UncommonPosts: 271

residentx said:

Bioware needs to INVEST in this game like they did in the beginning. We need CLASS stories not one.

That is really wish full thinking. They won't do that because of the cost of doing class stories. SWTOR just is not pulling in the cash to support that lvl of development!
    ErillionFedaygin
  • aRtFuLThinGaRtFuLThinG Member UncommonPosts: 1,387

residentx said:

Bioware is more likely to do the opposite because they are not certain they will get a license renewal from Disney when the current one expires (I think they most likely would not get renewed).
    ErillionFedaygin
    edited November 2019

residentx said:

Bioware is more likely to do the opposite because they are not certain they will get a license renewal from Disney when the current one expires (I think they most likely would not get renewed).

It'll get renewed. EA has access to the most studios, that develop the widest variety of games that no other company can come even remotely close to. If Fallen Order does well at all, I would very much bet EA will get the Star Wars license again. Disney is interested in the reach and variety EA has to offer, and they've also already met with BioWare recently and are working on bringing the KOTOR/SWTOR era to life in tv/movies. There is no reason to believe they will give the license out to another company.
    Fedaygin
  • JeroKaneJeroKane Member EpicPosts: 6,965

residentx said:

They said they will never do that anymore. So you can forget it.
    Not only is it extremely expensive, but nigh impossible to get all the original voice actors together again in studio.
    Fedaygin
  • residentxresidentx Member UncommonPosts: 123
    City of Heroes did this strategy in the end. They talked big and then delivered little. SWTOR, to me, has a adopted this model. They aren't making cutscenes to promote the game anymore like they used to. They can't attract if they don't invest. Maybe I need to talk to Disney and not Bioware since they ultimately will decide the fate of SWTOR.
    GorweFedaygin
  • IncomparableIncomparable Member UncommonPosts: 1,138
    Their budget needs to be bigger.
    GorweFedaygin

“Write bad things that are done to you in sand, but write the good things that happen to you on a piece of marble”

• LighttipLighttip Member UncommonPosts: 24
    Should it be RIG instead of RNG? Random Item Generator instead of Random Number Generator?
    Fedaygin
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    meh a expansion of a crap game is still crap, don't see a reason to review this
    Fedaygin
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • cutthroattcutthroatt Newbie CommonPosts: 4
    edited November 2019
    SWTOR is doing very well and the license will of course get renewed. Just the other week EA mentioned in their conference to their investors during a earnings-call that SWTOR has brought in 1 Billion USD revenue, and the game still continues to bring in money. It's a profitable live-service, of course they love it. Plus with a tv show/movie in the making based on the old republic, I would bet even more upcoming content is planned for the game.

Say what you want about EA, but if a game remains profitable, they will continue to maintain it properly. Look at Ultima Online. It is still a profitable game for EA, still getting expansions, still has a subscription, still getting regular patches, and it was released in 1997. SWTOR has a few hundred thousand active players monthly and that's all on one platform, PC.

This game has a very bright future and people on this forum need to start looking at these reviews factually and not subjectively. Just because YOU don't like a particular game doesn't mean the product isn't good or profitable.
    Fedaygin
    edited November 2019

Gorwe said:

SWTOR is doing very well and the license will of course get renewed. Just the other week EA mentioned in their conference to their investors during a earnings-call that SWTOR has brought in 1 Billion USD revenue, and the game still continues to bring in money. It's a profitable live-service, of course they love it. Plus with a tv show/movie in the making based on the old republic, I would bet even more upcoming content is planned for the game.

Say what you want about EA, but if a game remains profitable, they will continue to maintain it properly. Look at Ultima Online. It is still a profitable game for EA, still getting expansions, still has a subscription, still getting regular patches, and it was released in 1997. SWTOR has a few hundred thousand active players monthly and that's all on one platform, PC.

This game has a very bright future and people on this forum need to start looking at these reviews factually and not subjectively. Just because YOU don't like a particular game doesn't mean the product isn't good or profitable.

So...you are fine with their update scope and cadence?

And I never negated its profitability. Hell, I like to call it "money printing press". I just object to their blatant disregard for what made SWTOR famous in the first place: class stories. That should definitely get more attention.

The characters stories are there, current efforts should be (and are) placed on other end-game activities. Having completely different storylines and structures for each class at this point moving forward is more work than what it is worth.
    Fedaygin
    edited November 2019

Gorwe said:

Gorwe said:

So...you are fine with their update scope and cadence?

And I never negated its profitability. Hell, I like to call it "money printing press". I just object to their blatant disregard for what made SWTOR famous in the first place: class stories. That should definitely get more attention.

The characters stories are there, current efforts should be (and are) placed on other end-game activities. Having completely different storylines and structures for each class at this point moving forward is more work than what it is worth.

Says who? Also, how do you know that a VERY likely HUGE spike in resubs due to stories returning wouldn't recoup their "losses" in no time?

Says anyone that understands game development thus comprehending how much work, time, and money goes into voice acting different lines, etc. It's much smarter to place a higher emphasis on repeatable end-game content verse content that will only be played through once per class at most. This isn't a single player rpg, and each class already has a lot of story to them already from the base game alone.

When SWTOR launched so many cried about how the only good aspect of the game were the class stories. Now that other content gets created and added, you want individual class stories too? It isn't really feasible. Other games don't have the high quality of questing like this game does, it's not easy to put together.
    Fedaygin
  • MowzerMowzer Member UncommonPosts: 78
    Ive got some time off in Jan and look forward to grabbing a month to check out SWTOR again.
    Fedaygin
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    So if someone has a contract until 2023, does that mean no other Dev can even start making another SW MMORPG until it expires in '23? Or can they have started a few years ago and be able to release right after SWTOR ends in '23?

I don't want to wait until '28+ for another SW MMORPG m'kai!?

Gut Out!
    NorseGodFedaygin

What, me worry?