Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Classic is a big hit as far as subscriptions go

kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,231
edited November 8 in World of Warcraft
Classic has given Blizzard it largest quarterly increase in WoW subscriptions in 15 years.

https://www.gamasutra.com/view/news/353605/CoD_and_WoW_push_Activision_Blizzard_to_betterthanexpected_Q3.php

https://investor.activision.com/news-releases/news-release-details/activision-blizzard-announces-second-quarter-2019-financial

Just think this subscription increase beat Wrath of the Lich King expansion. The number of people who subscribed for classic beat all the previous expansions. Makes one think. Take into account that retail subs can be paid for with tokens and classic does not allow that.

ScotAxxar

Comments

  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 12,104
    edited November 8
    For me the issue is that the MMO genre has had a few classics by now and yet no gaming company seems to be having a rethink about about what they offer for a modern MMO. It seems to me that they are just regarding classic as something else to sell, no ideas from classic are informing them on how to make a modern MMO.

    So its great for the guys enjoying classic in their MMO of choice, but it means nothing for new MMOs down the line unfortunately. I could be wrong, you hear them talking about how it is making them look again, but not one example of how the modern iteration of any MMO that has a classic version has/will be changed.
    Axxar

     25 Agrees

    You received 25 Agrees. You're posting some good content. Great!

    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

    Now Doesn't That Make You Feel All Warm And Fuzzy Inside? :P

  • Siris23Siris23 Member UncommonPosts: 372
    kitarad said:
    Take into account that retail subs can be paid for with tokens and classic does not allow that.
    You can pay for Classic with retail tokens though, I bought a token just before I quit mid-Legion and I used it to play Classic for a month.
  • kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,231
    Siris23 said:
    kitarad said:
    Take into account that retail subs can be paid for with tokens and classic does not allow that.
    You can pay for Classic with retail tokens though, I bought a token just before I quit mid-Legion and I used it to play Classic for a month.
    Oh I stand corrected then.

  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,377
    edited November 8
    Funny how it's all about the presentation.

    The "largest quarterly increase in subs" isn't as big a deal as it might appear.

    This is how MOP presented the news and I recommend reading their entire article. The outlook for the 4th quarter is bleak in light of the HK fiasco.  Apparently Blizzard knew what they were doing when they laid off 800 at the start of the year.

    "Blizzard’s MAUs (monthly active units) added another 1M players in the quarter, increasing from 32M to 33M. That’s thanks to WoW Classic, which the company says “drove the biggest quarterly increase to subscription plans in franchise history, in both the West and East.”

    The news becomes more sobering when one realizes 33M represents a huge loss in MAUs since the first quarter of 2018.

    "While World of Warcraft subs were up ahead of the launch of WoW Classic as expected, montly active users (MAUs) for Blizz were down from 38M in Q1 of 2018 to 32M in Q2 of 2019."

    https://massivelyop.com/2019/11/07/activision-blizzards-q3-2019-revenues-sink-for-the-third-quarter-in-a-row/
    Gdemami

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,231
    Even then the fact that classic brought in that many subs is definitely worth it for them. In spite of the reduction does any other MMORPG currently command that many subs?

    Their MAU is down from 38 million to 32 million. Don't forget this is a 15 year old game. Can any new MMORPG boast that many subs? Even if you want to scoff at that figure we are still talking about 32 million monthly active units.

  • BeansnBreadBeansnBread Member EpicPosts: 6,934
    Kyleran said:
    Funny how it's all about the presentation.

    The "largest quarterly increase in subs" isn't as big a deal as it might appear.

    This is how MOP presented the news and I recommend reading their entire article. The outlook for the 4th quarter is bleak in light of the HK fiasco.  Apparently Blizzard knew what they were doing when they laid off 800 at the start of the year.

    "Blizzard’s MAUs (monthly active units) added another 1M players in the quarter, increasing from 32M to 33M. That’s thanks to WoW Classic, which the company says “drove the biggest quarterly increase to subscription plans in franchise history, in both the West and East.”

    The news becomes more sobering when one realizes 33M represents a huge loss in MAUs since the first quarter of 2018.

    "While World of Warcraft subs were up ahead of the launch of WoW Classic as expected, montly active users (MAUs) for Blizz were down from 38M in Q1 of 2018 to 32M in Q2 of 2019."

    https://massivelyop.com/2019/11/07/activision-blizzards-q3-2019-revenues-sink-for-the-third-quarter-in-a-row/
    Umm, of course it's a big deal for them. The problem was that they were losing MAU. This stopped that bleed that has been going on since Cata/Wrath and BFA made it extremely bad (for good reason). Classic reversed the downturn. That is absurd IMO.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 34,377
    kitarad said:
    Even then the fact that classic brought in that many subs is definitely worth it for them. In spite of the reduction does any other MMORPG currently command that many subs?

    Their MAU is down from 38 million to 32 million. Don't forget this is a 15 year old game. Can any new MMORPG boast that many subs? Even if you want to scoff at that figure we are still talking about 32 million monthly active units.
    The MAU (Monthly Active Units) numbers represent all titles under Activision Blizzard and not just WOW.

    Not even sure MAU = subs, might just represent players who login at least once on any of their titles including games like COD.

    Can't be sure without understanding how they define an active unit.


    Gdemami

    "See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

    "I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

    Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

    Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

    Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

    "This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon






  • kitaradkitarad Member EpicPosts: 5,231
    edited November 8
    However WoW is their only subscription  based game right ?

    Sorry I realised it could not only be WoW because 32 million subs was never a figure for WoW even at it's height it never went above 20 million.

Sign In or Register to comment.