Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did the acquisition of Archeage's Publishing lead to the downfall of Trion Worlds?

MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
I recently started to play Archeage Unchained, so this is something that has crossed my mind as I started playing this MMORPG.

To start off, I first was introduced to Trion Worlds with the MMO Rift. I played it back in Vanilla Rift. I had lots of fun back then, and Trion Worlds didnt seem like the greedy P2W corporation that they became known for later on. I quit before the first expansion because of Guild Wars 2 and came back but the level grind wasnt fun in the first expansion pack when zones were empty. But I digress. 

I remember back when OG Archeage was in the hype phase. It was all the rage around this site. For me personally, I was de-hyped about the vague description of the PvP system in the game. Was it factions or FFA? But again I digress. 

Then news came out that Rift's developers picked up the Publishing rights to Archeage to bring it to the West. 

Not sure how much that cost Trion Worlds.

But this brings up an important factor here. Archeage is developed by Korean developer XL Games, which built the game around its Korean MMO gamer market. 

Korean MMO Gamers tend to have a different mindset from western MMO gamers.
P2W, right or wrong, is more of a normalized and accepted in Eastern MMO markets compared to Western MMO markets.

Archeage was designed around this P2W Asian grinder MMO model, despite all the hype around the game.

This leads to another thing I have recently come to realize while playing Archeage Unchained, is that as the publisher, Trion/Gamigo, cant really make any changes to the game to make it more fitting to Western MMO gamers without XL Games making those changes. 

Seem like a doomed from start investment on their end. 

Not sure how much it cost them to pick up the Publishing on this, but seem Trion went downhill from there. Maybe they were trying to desperately cover the cost on all of this, and eventually went bankrupt from all of this. 

Philosophy of MMO Game Design