Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Camelot Unchained Delayed to At Least 2020 - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• CopperfieldCopperfield Member RarePosts: 654
    there is no fcking way this game will be ready in 2020..

but i dont care tbh.... i support them all the way..

making their own engine.. that focus on large scalle battles.. its worth the wait..

Kyleranboris20tweedledumb99
  • rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    LMAO, 2020 is like 2 months away. This MIGHT be news if they had announced any sort of release date, which I dont think they have. So why is it relevant? Did anyone think it would be out next month?
    meddyck
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Not being feature complete really isn’t a problem if the features that make it are themselves complete and make for a fun game. The rest can come post launch. Let’s just hope they pick the right features and get them polished before they do launch. 
    tweedledumb99
  • Arkade99Arkade99 Member RarePosts: 538

I predict another huge delay for Crowfall, Ashes of Creation, and Star Citizen to follow. Doesn't that put the FUN in crowdFUNding?

Artcraft announced a while back that Crowfall won't be out this year, but they have a pretty clear timeline shaping up. The next big patch (and it's a really big patch) is scheduled to go to live in February. That will mark the beginning of alpha. In Crowfall, the alpha and beta phases will be relatively short. They will involve polishing, balancing and bug fixing, for the most part.

Of course, the alpha patch could be delayed and it could take longer than expected to polish, balance and bug fix, but I would say that Crowfall is closer to launch than any of the others.
    tweedledumb99gervaise1
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited November 2019
    DMKano said:
    there is no fcking way this game will be ready in 2020..

but i dont care tbh.... i support them all the way..

making their own engine.. that focus on large scalle battles.. its worth the wait..

The thing is games development doesn't operate on infinite time and infinite resources.

There is only so much money that they have to support the development of the game - so that's the limiting factor here.

Do they have enough cash to keep pushing this for another 2+ years? Can they raise more cash?

At some point the debt becomes so great to the point that the possibility of making the investment back in any reasonable amount of time is not feasible. So its worth the wait - i think that time is running out on them pretty fast
    Have they done a BR version yet or a voxel version? They are real money spinners I hear and can fund development of a MMORPG indefinitely.
    Post edited by Scot on
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    If they would have stayed honest the whole time instead of claiming they were advancing to beta when they knew it was very much in alpha people would be more receptive. Star Citizen is much more like a beta phase than this game is, they still call it alpha.
    tweedledumb99Kyleran
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    edited November 2019
    Mensur said:
    Honest and cool devs! I have no problem waiting! <3 Scam Citizen could learn a few things from them!
    If CU wants to raise more crowdfunding I think there is a lot it can "learn" from SC.

After all it has a lot in common: SC sells "ship packages" - ship + access to the game; CU sell "class packages" - class + access to the game.

I hope CU succeeds.

To that end I believe it would help if it published a schedule:  that gets updated, slipped, changed, re-worked and which we can throw rocks at. CU has been around nearly as long as SC after all  - only c. 5 months younger.

As it is CU has: MJ saying in June the game is launching by the end of the year; in September MJ saying the game is still launching by the end of the year; at the end October ..... maybe 2021.

Dishonesty? Hype? Incompetence? Some mix of all three? You choose. I am inclined not to go with dishonesty; some hype - probably but that verges on dishonesty; the problem is that leaves me with incompetence. And if so a schedule - that gets bricks thrown at it - will help them. 

I believe - in the absence of an alpha - some limited "free try weekends" would help. They can control the number of players - open a list for interested people - with backers having first call. A work in progress, many bugs, no content etc. etc. but something real. And when they repeat it: visible progress. 

Instead there is a "closed beta" under a strict NDA. If what they were doing was truly groundbreaking then you could understand an NDA. But seriously? The other reason for an NDA is that they are "afraid" that people will see how much work still needs to be done. Some people might say its not going to release till 2050. Newsflash: the story is its never releasing and that whatever MJ claims simply can't be taken as realistic.  

I could go on.

CU need to celebrate - and showcase - what they have achieved. Not hide it like they are ashamed of it. Some of those who see it will scoff. Some will be put off and conclude it is years out. Some though will see potential and over time progress. And - like you - believe. Slow, paint drying progress maybe but progress nevertheless.

As it stands its very hard to dispute that SC will release. Maybe not when they say, maybe without all its content on day 1 but the narrative is all about release.

For CU the narrative is about whether anything will ever release. Let alone MJs talk of it releasing with all its content on day 1

I want CU - and SC and the other games struggling to make it - to release. There are to few mmos around to knock one at the expense of the other.

What's that you say? You want more classes?

Post edited by gervaise1 on
    Gdemami[Deleted User]
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,348
    I prefer that games launch after they're ready rather than before.  I don't want to waste my time fussing with a game that is awful, but will be fixed later.  I want the official launch day to be a clear indication from the developers that "now the game is ready to play".  If they let people play in alpha or beta or early access or whatever else they feel like calling it in a state where they're officially saying that it's not ready yet and a lot of stuff is still going to be fixed, fine.  But don't rush a game to launch in a broken state that you're going to fix later and leave me to guess if it's fixed a year or two later.
    tweedledumb99
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited November 2019
    Arkade99 said:

I predict another huge delay for Crowfall, Ashes of Creation, and Star Citizen to follow. Doesn't that put the FUN in crowdFUNding?

Artcraft announced a while back that Crowfall won't be out this year, but they have a pretty clear timeline shaping up. The next big patch (and it's a really big patch) is scheduled to go to live in February. That will mark the beginning of alpha. In Crowfall, the alpha and beta phases will be relatively short. They will involve polishing, balancing and bug fixing, for the most part.

Of course, the alpha patch could be delayed and it could take longer than expected to polish, balance and bug fix, but I would say that Crowfall is closer to launch than any of the others.
    So, 18 more months, right?

(For both titles I'm thinking)

:D 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• QuarterStackQuarterStack Member RarePosts: 546
    edited November 2019
    I’m totally fatigued with hearing about this game. When I first read about it years ago my interest was piqued now at this point I couldn’t care less. I still think they should change the name though to something more unique and exciting. Anything titled “unchained” is hokey.
    Two suggested names I see frequently on the CU FB page:

Camelot Unfinished

Camelot Unreleased
    Camelot Forever?

It worked for Duke Nukem.
    Or didn't, depending how you look at it.

One thing I've noticed, though, in the streams I've watched - specifically the 3D environment/prop modeling streams - is that some of their people move at glacial speed. I mean, moving one vertex a short distance... then sitting there, looking at it... spinning it around for up to ~3 minutes (I timed it once). Then moving the same vertex another short distance.... looking at it, spinning it around... moving over to another spot... looking at it.. spinning it around... moving an edge... looking at it for a bit.. spinning it around...

I'm not kidding. I'm not a professional 3D modeler by any stretch. I'd consider myself a capable hobbyist, enough that I know my way around low-poly modeling, UV-Mapping, etc. They're not performing actions that require surgical accuracy. And I know that it does not take *that* long, nor require the amount of time they're using to do the things they're doing. It doesn't for me, nor does it for any even moderately capable 3D modeler I've seen. I've seen people who are brand-new to 3D modeling, and learning a new program on top of that (Blender3D even), making more progress in less time.

I've asked one person what they were working on during a stream; if they were optimizing, etc? I was genuinely curious, because they'd only moved 3 vertices in the span of 5 minutes (I didn't say that, but it's what I was thinking). No answer to my question, even though they were answering others' about unrelated subjects.

Certainly they're capable artists, and had to prove it to get the job. Certainly they *do* know what they're doing. That's what made it all the more weird to see them slogging through every minute change.

I got the impression that maybe they felt they were under absolutely no deadlines to get things done, and were just milking it.

Kind of reminds me of some contractors I've worked with who know they're getting paid by the hour, so they drag things out. They rely on their client's ignorance to BS them and keep the project going as long as possible. Hell, I've had a few tell me they were doing exactly that.

So, I can't say that those people are deliberately taking their time and milking it on CU. I will say it wouldn't surprise me at all if I were to find out that was the case.
    Post edited by QuarterStack on
    Gdemami