Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mitsubishi Pulls Blizzard Sponsorship Ahead of BlizzCon

Comments

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    I tried to score free tickets to blizzcon (I live 1.5 hours away) but I couldn't get one. I was able to score free tickets to Comicon San Diego one year but I need to improve my networking skills to score more free stuff. 

I also loved the Mitsubishi 3000GT car in the late 80's and early 90's. Then in the mid-to-late 90's, i loved the Mitsubishi Eclipses. 

On my honeymoon in Hawaii, I drove a newer version of the Mitsubishi Eclipse convertible around the big island where Honolulu is. I now love convertible cars and will get one at one point in my life. I prefer hard top convertibles, but only expensive cars come with them. 

This is my only contribution to the thread. Enjoy your political skirmishes. 
    SovrathWhiteLantern
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • HorusraHorusra Member EpicPosts: 4,411
    Cryomatrix said: bou
    I tried to score free tickets to blizzcon (I live 1.5 hours away) but I couldn't get one. I was able to score free tickets to Comicon San Diego one year but I need to improve my networking skills to score more free stuff. 

I also loved the Mitsubishi 3000GT car in the late 80's and early 90's. Then in the mid-to-late 90's, i loved the Mitsubishi Eclipses. 

On my honeymoon in Hawaii, I drove a newer version of the Mitsubishi Eclipse convertible around the big island where Honolulu is. I now love convertible cars and will get one at one point in my life. I prefer hard top convertibles, but only expensive cars come with them. 

This is my only contribution to the thread. Enjoy your political skirmishes. 
    3000gt met its fate in court with a lost lawsuit for stealing chevy's engine 
  • BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Anyone who supports a Blizz boycott is contributing to the weakening of one of the last not owned by Tencent USA game companies. I see a few people in this thread who have said they use the epic store but are now boycotting Blizz. If you indeed are "for Hong Kong" you'd stop playing every game owned by Tencent but selective hypocritical activism is the new thing and has invaded the gaming sector because one gamer wore a mask and said some political stuff. Does anyone here really not understand that a Blizz/Activision stock plunge is EXACTLY what Tencent aka China hopes for every day for a majority buyout? Think about WHAT and WHO you stand for because this specific situation is hurting all the wrong people for all the wrong reasons.

@DMKano so now your new crusade is going after Blizz? Did they not hire you as well? Oh right I forgot that your time here is just for your "fun" so changing a few minds here over something is mission accomplished for your personal entertainment.
    Kyleran
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    blamo2000 said:
    Utinni said:
    IceAge said:
    DMKano said:

The problem is Blizzard did nothing when the political comments that were favorable to China. 

Source? 

..and I mean source, not your usual theories. 
    I believe the source is "blizzard bad". 

Could it be that China is bad and not Blizzard is bad?  I won't lie and say I am a huge Blizzard fan.  I never liked any game of theirs until WoW, or since WoW.  And only specifically WoW vanilla through WotLK.  But I absolutely loved vanilla through WotLK.

I played and loved Classic like a maniac.  See my posts.  I loved it.  I was having a ball playing it.  That would have been what I played for years and years until and unless they forced Cataclysm on everyone again and ruined classic all over again.  I stopped only and specifically because they are bowing to communist totalitarians.  

Ironic because your entire life has been in support of bowing down to communist totalitarians.
    Ozmodan
  • OzmodanOzmodan Member EpicPosts: 9,726
    I see a lot of foolish children posting in this thread.  There is no excuse for ignorance.  China is not your friend.  Anyone defending that totalitarian regime is mentally challenged.  All Blizzard had to do was just ignore the protest, but no they bowed to Chinese pressure and sullied their name. 
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    We want freedom of speech. All Blizzard had to do was STFU.

We shouldn’t bow down to Chinese pressure. All Blizzard had to do was bow down to a protester.

Besides the point of China being evil or not, can people not see what is wrong with this? “The Greater Good” isn’t some Out of Jail card you can play when you want to.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,500
    edited November 2019
    Amathe said:
    Mitsubishi Motors Taiwan took this action. 

Mitsubishi took no action and still has offices throughout China:

https://www.mitsubishicorp.com/jp/en/network/east_asia/china.html

So the title is a bit off. 
    Of course they didn't, business concerns will always win out over ideological and in this case very hypocritical issues. 

China sux! Blizzard sux! Freedom! But I'm still buying the next new Samsung Note, (MADE IN CHINA) or maybe even getting a kidney transplant there because....well you know, reasons.

Such folks are just laughable. 

Forgrimmvandal5627

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Ozmodan said:
    I see a lot of foolish children posting in this thread.  There is no excuse for ignorance.  China is not your friend.  Anyone defending that totalitarian regime is mentally challenged.  All Blizzard had to do was just ignore the protest, but no they bowed to Chinese pressure and sullied their name. 
    China is literally our best friend. Our entire way of life depends on them.
  • OhsyOhsy Member UncommonPosts: 37
    edited November 2019

DMKano said:

Hell yes - more companies need to pull their sponsorship from Blizzard.

Blizzard deserves everything that's coming to them since they decided to bend over for China

Yall need to realize that Blizzard's actions do not imply that they are siding with everything that is going on in China. Blizzard's actions has nothing to do with this, they punished an individual that used Blizzard's investment/high profile event to spew their own personal agenda and beliefs. Blizzard's actions were justified, they had to set an example so others don't try something similar in the future.
    HatefullIceAgeKyleranMyrdynnLinif
  • OGDeathRowOGDeathRow Member UncommonPosts: 129
    Ohsy said:

DMKano said:

Hell yes - more companies need to pull their sponsorship from Blizzard.

Blizzard deserves everything that's coming to them since they decided to bend over for China

Yall need to realize that Blizzard's actions do not imply that they are siding with everything that is going on in China. Blizzard's actions has nothing to do with this, they punished an individual that used Blizzard's investment/high profile event to spew their own personal agenda and beliefs. Blizzard's actions were justified.
    Problem is, many people think they believe in human rights when they actually dont. Most of the people here wouldnt lift a finger (other then to type) to stop tyranny in foreign countries. They wanna feel good about themselves thinking they can make a difference, and just wanna pick on blizz cause they got there feelings hurt over the direction they went with the games.

Immortal is probably one of the companies best moves, as cell phones money intake is thru the roof (Because the world wants cell games) but look at the backlash they got. The nerds of the world outraged because it wasnt tailored to them, but to the masses. If people dont get things the way they want them, they say/support the dumbest **** just to go against them.
    Hatefullvandal5627IceAgeKyleranLinif
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    Utinni said:
    People still applauding stupid shit like this thinking that Blizzard is the only company who bends over for China. LOLLLLL
    The woefully ignorant and the keyboard heroes. The same hypocrites that still use cell phones made in China, whine about how bad China is on computers with components made in China, the list goes on, however, it is funny to watch all the impotent rage from a group of people, most of whom would never ever stand up for anything if they had to leave their homes.

At any rate, borderline fake news, misleading title, of little consequence or import.
    vandal5627IceAgeXarkoKyleran

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• WarEnsembleWarEnsemble Member UncommonPosts: 252
    Internet activism is as pointless as millennial at a job interview. Who cares that Blizzard lost a sponsor. Furthermore, who cares about Blizzard.
    HatefullXarko
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    edited November 2019
    The funniest thing about this thread is that some people seem to believe that one corporation did this for PR and money and the other one didn't.

Clue: Mitsubishi ain't doing this out of principle. Every thing they do is PR predicated on how they think it will affect their bottom line.

...and their cars are shit compared to Honda and Toyota :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• GeezerGamerGeezerGamer Member EpicPosts: 8,855
    Reap what you sew Blizzard!!!!!!!!!
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Nyctelios said:
    Iselin said:
    The funniest thing about this thread is that some people seem to believe that one corporation did this for PR and money and the other one didn't.

Clue: Mitsubishi ain't doing this out of principle. Every thing they do is PR predicated on how they think it will affect their bottom line.

People are planting trees for PR reason. Ellon Musk donated 1 million to plant trees, followed by the founder of Shopify, donating 1.000.001 dollars just to be on the top.

So what? Are you saying all the Tree movement is invalid because people are getting PR from it?

It's too easy to dismiss anything made by any company (or person) claiming they have solely their brand in mind. In reality things are a little more complicated than that.

I'll get nike cutting ties with companies because of anti lgbqt reasons over Nestlé claiming water is not a human right any day.

Positive reinforcement should be used just as much as harsh criticism. Sometimes (and in some countries) our feedback as consumers is the only weapon we have to shape the world. So again: A company is doing a positive (even if temporary) thing for a PR reason... So what?
    Mitsubishi is just as embroiled with China as a trading partner - probably more so - than Blizzard is. 

Leaving recent events aside it's dumb as shit to say that Blizzard is evil and Mitsubishi is good.

Every freaking corporation that does business with any disgusting totalitarian government - not just China, every freaking one of them that treats human rights as an inconvenience - and licks their ass whenever they need to, deserves the same amount of hate. They deserve it because they do it not just because they were put in a position to have to do it in a public stage.

Is that "so what" enough for you?
    vandal5627
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Meanwhile, back at the ranch, Blitzchug, one of the suspended players, has now:

1.  Signed with another pro e-sport team that plays Hearthstone;
    2.  Has accepted Blizzard's prize money; and
    3.  Has said he will return to pro Hearthstone play when his six month ban is lifted.

This, rather than, say, go to the press and chant Go Hong Kong Blizzard Sucks! 

I guess he doesn't think Blizz is too evil to take their money and play their game.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/10/31/20942296/hong-kong-blitzchung-signed-tempo-storm

Lolololololololol.

vandal5627ScotKyleran

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    Amathe said:

3.  Has said he will return to pro Hearthstone play when his six month ban is lifted.

I guess he doesn't think Blizz is too evil to take their money and play their game.

https://www.polygon.com/2019/10/31/20942296/hong-kong-blitzchung-signed-tempo-storm

Lolololololololol.

In my experience of "outrage" on the internet the people who are most outraged are not the people who were involved with the issue at hand.
    Kyleranvandal5627Amathe
    edited November 2019
    Ozmodan said:
    Is there any actual evidence of the Chinese government directly applying pressure on Activision Blizzard or even asking for any action to be taken specifically with regards to this situation. 

If so, I haven't seen any. 

Scotvandal5627Amathe

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Iselin said:
    Nyctelios said:
    Iselin said:

People are planting trees for PR reason. Ellon Musk donated 1 million to plant trees, followed by the founder of Shopify, donating 1.000.001 dollars just to be on the top.

So what? Are you saying all the Tree movement is invalid because people are getting PR from it?

It's too easy to dismiss anything made by any company (or person) claiming they have solely their brand in mind. In reality things are a little more complicated than that.

I'll get nike cutting ties with companies because of anti lgbqt reasons over Nestlé claiming water is not a human right any day.

Positive reinforcement should be used just as much as harsh criticism. Sometimes (and in some countries) our feedback as consumers is the only weapon we have to shape the world. So again: A company is doing a positive (even if temporary) thing for a PR reason... So what?
    Mitsubishi is just as embroiled with China as a trading partner - probably more so - than Blizzard is. 

Leaving recent events aside it's dumb as shit to say that Blizzard is evil and Mitsubishi is good.

Every freaking corporation that does business with any disgusting totalitarian government - not just China, every freaking one of them that treats human rights as an inconvenience - and licks their ass whenever they need to, deserves the same amount of hate. They deserve it because they do it not just because they were put in a position to have to do it in a public stage.

Is that "so what" enough for you?
    So you just typed this on your swedish made cell phone? ;)

Truth is, we can't avoid chinese influencing many facets of our lives...

Amathe

edited November 2019
    Scot said:
    Amathe said:

Lolololololololol.

In my experience of "outrage" on the internet the people who are most outraged are not the people who were involved with the issue at hand.
    Which is why they are so ignorantly hypocritical,  throwing stones at others while living in glass houses of their own.

I mean, what the hell are people doing even reading articles about Blizzcon if they are all so up in arms and adamant in their boycott of all thing Blizzard...

Here it comes...wait for it...  "but that's different Kyle"

Bah, bunch o clowns.

In other news Citi and many other financial firms prepare to do big  business with China in the coming years...

They must not be gamers ... ;)

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/16/china-opens-up-finance-industry-to-foreigners-as-trade-war-with-us-simmers.html

Post edited by Kyleran on
    vandal5627Amathe

edited November 2019
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    Amathe said:

Lolololololololol.

Which is why they are so ignorantly hypocritical,  throwing stones at others while living in glass houses of their own.

I mean, what the hell are people doing even reading articles about Blizzcon if they are all so up in arms and adamant in their boycott of all thing Blizzard...

Bah, bunch o clowns.

In other news Citi and many other financial firms prepare to do big  business with China in the coming years...

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/10/16/china-opens-up-finance-industry-to-foreigners-as-trade-war-with-us-simmers.html

The first question you must ask yourself when ever you are outraged by something that is on the news or social media is "am I outraged because everyone else is, or is there a genuine issue here?" The conflation between concerns about HK and Blizzard shutting a guy down who talked about it is startling. There is a lot of raw emotion there, seeing how the people of HK are being treated, but Blizzard is not trying to deny them a lawful democratic government, China is.

So all Blizzard has to answer for is their actions concerning one individual, but the way many gamers are over reacting your would think Blizzard employees have volunteered to drive Chinese tanks into HK if President Xi thinks that's needed.

That's part of the problem, no matter what the issue, the level of outrage is the same, full volume. There is no nuance only upvoting and likes/loves.

I think they were heavy handed but right to ban those putting forward a political agenda on Blizzards own channel, I would not have banned the hosts for example. But they need to follow though, that includes pro-China chat as well.

I started this post by trying to get people to see that we are being influenced by a mob on social media - lots of people say this is wrong so it must be wrong. Think for yourself. But the same could be said of corporations and businesses. Have Blizzard actually done some rethinking on what happened or are reddit threads and the like showing disapproval what twisted their arm? Now you may think if that happened that is good, public will has enforced a change for the better. As someone who thinks politics needs to be kept out of gaming I don't see it in such a light.

But the wider question is should social media and an internet mob be influencing corporations and indeed governments. I think this is a dangerous road to go down, it reminds me in fact of the stone throwing mobs of the middle ages and baying crowd of the coliseums. We should be more civilised than that.
    IceAgevandal5627Kyleran
    edited November 2019
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    Amathe said:

Lolololololololol.

Bah, bunch o clowns.

The first question you must ask yourself when ever you are outraged by something that is on the news or social media is "am I outraged because everyone else is, or is there a genuine issue here?" The conflation between concerns about HK and Blizzard shutting a guy down who talked about it is startling. There is a lot of raw emotion there, seeing how the people of HK are being treated, but Blizzard is not trying to deny them a lawful democratic government, China is.

So all Blizzard has to answer for is their actions concerning one individual, but the way many gamers are over reacting your would think Blizzard employees have volunteered to drive Chinese tanks into HK if President Xi thinks that's needed.

That's part of the problem, no matter what the issue, the level of outrage is the same, full volume. There is no nuance only upvoting and likes/loves.

I think they were heavy handed but right to ban those putting forward a political agenda on Blizzards own channel, I would not have banned the hosts for example. But they need to follow though, that includes pro-China chat as well.

I started this post by trying to get people to see that we are being influenced by a mob on social media - lots of people say this is wrong so it must be wrong. Think for yourself. But the same could be said of corporations and businesses. Have Blizzard actually done some rethinking on what happened or are reddit threads and the like showing disapproval what twisted their arm? Now you may think if that happened that is good, public will has enforced a change for the better. As someone who thinks politics needs to be kept out of gaming I don't see it in such a light.

But the wider question is should social media and an internet mob be influencing corporations and indeed governments. I think this is a dangerous road to go down, it reminds me in fact of the stone throwing mobs of the middle ages and baying crowd of the coliseums. We should be more civilised than that.
    Welcome to the age of the tyranny of the minority, a very real phenomenon unfortunately.

An interesting read:

https://areomagazine.com/2019/04/02/the-tyranny-of-the-minority-and-how-to-prevent-it/

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    ScotKyleran

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

lahnmir said:
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    Amathe said:

Lolololololololol.

Bah, bunch o clowns.

Welcome to the age of the tyranny of the minority, a very real phenomenon unfortunately.

An interesting read:

https://areomagazine.com/2019/04/02/the-tyranny-of-the-minority-and-how-to-prevent-it/

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I agree with much of what he said, but I am not sure of his conclusion, that more democracy in the form of people being able to counter vote against the mob that is saying "something must be done" is the solution. Firstly I am not sure democracy is enhanced by the public voting on everything, that is fighting fire with fire; I am not saying it would not work, just that it could escalate out of control. Secondly as he mentions in his opening argument the internet was supposed to result in an expansion of democracy, but look how that turned out. So the idea even more reliance on the internet will solve this is doubtful to me.
  • LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    The sad thing is, through all of this shitshow, it was the player base and Blitzchung who were the ones that made this political. Blizzard acting on their rules (Argue with that as much as you want, it's true and has been since the beginning) which are vague in the sense that they can deem whatever they want as breaking them (Which makes sense since a rule cannot possibly define what hurts Blizzards image and what doesn't), which Blitzchung openly admitted he knew would get him in trouble (Source: https://www.twitlonger.com/show/n_1sr1jn4), which is something I can confidently wager EVERY other company has in their rules/TOS etc. The defining difference this time was the person in question was showing support for Hong Kong and so people on the outside watching interpreted that as "Blizzard supports China".

The player base and Blitzchung made this situation political, not Blizzard. Now it's Blizzard that has to fend off the rabid masses who equate Blizzard enforcing their rules to bending over for China.

Did Blizzard do it because if they didn't react, China would start eyeballing them like a person eyeballs their partner when they don't stick up for them? I'd say it's a sure bet. But let's not conflate banning Blitzchung with "Supporting China". We all like a bit of drama but this is taking the piss, lol.
    ScotKyleran
    Scot said:
    lahnmir said:
    Scot said:
    Kyleran said:
    Scot said:
    Amathe said:

Lolololololololol.

Bah, bunch o clowns.

An interesting read:

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    I agree with much of what he said, but I am not sure of his conclusion, that more democracy in the form of people being able to counter vote against the mob that is saying "something must be done" is the solution. Firstly I am not sure democracy is enhanced by the public voting on everything, that is fighting fire with fire; I am not saying it would not work, just that it could escalate out of control. Secondly as he mentions in his opening argument the internet was supposed to result in an expansion of democracy, but look how that turned out. So the idea even more reliance on the internet will solve this is doubtful to me.
    These were my thoughts exactly. He makes good points though and I can relate to a lot of what he writes. That solution though... I am not convinced either.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Scot