Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Legends of Kern

You know, I kind of expected when I bought the first book of this Age of Conan series that it would be a quickly written novel trying to sell on the Conan hype, but I really wanted to be proven wrong and fuel my interest in the Conan universe.

Wow, this book rocked!

You see a couple things in the book right away that you can familiarize with other such fantasy novels. Mostly friends with relations to the main character, his plight in the beginning and a few more things that naturally come into a fantasy novel. However, you soon realize that this ain't no fairy tale and that the world is dark, dirty, and primitive. Though the whole book, nothing is sugar-coated, everything is raw, savage, and just true to human nature. I felt I was reading a book about real people doing something real, not mystical or impossible. Mostly this book was about survival in a world that seemed at times that it didn't want anyone too. The battles, the description of clan bonds and brotherhood, and the thoughts of people on the edge clinging to life no matter what just amazed me.

Age of Conan-Hyborian Adventures: Legends of Kern vol. 1  "Blood of Wolves"

This game better be as good as this book!

...but time flows like a river...

...and history repeats...

-Leader of "The Fighting Irish" in DAoC on Hib/Kay-

Comments

• RagalornRagalorn Member Posts: 75

I have shyed away from the books as well, as I expected what you mentioned above. Not sure I love the idea of other authors writing in someone else's world or using someone else's characters.

Robert Jordan wrote many Conan novels, they were good reads.

Perhaps I should give these Kern books a chance though. image

• Lunar_KnightLunar_Knight Member Posts: 292
    I'm reading the second one now and so far so good. Lots of good character development happening in the beginning.

• Lunar_KnightLunar_Knight Member Posts: 292

Ok, finished the trilogy now so here is my short review of it

By the way, all three books were written by Loren L. Coleman

Book 1 of Legends of Kern: Blood of Wolves

pros: Lots of excellent main character development, easy to follow plot and GREAT description of battles, tradition, and the barbaric way of life in the clans of Cimmeria set in the Conan universe.

cons: Development of other characters was somewhat limited, had some cliche moments (main character becomes an outcast, has a brief (love?) interest with the chieftain's daughter), and the book stressed the same ideals of clan culture a little to often (the other 2 books did this as well).

Book 2 of Legends of Kern: Cimmerian Rage

pros: Plenty of good secondary character development (Kern's friends, allies and enemies), plots strengthened considerably, more of a dark undertone in this book which gave a good contrast to the first, and again excellent depiction of fights though out the book.

cons: A few plot developments and twists that were kind of weird, but not overly distracting, main character was getting a little whinny, and more of the "way of clans" crap that was kind of irritating when it was brought up so much.

Book 3 of Legends of Kern: Songs of Victory

pros: Great plot twists and development of enemy characters, lots of "little things" in this story and in the first two that really spiced up the novels, setting and battle scenes, again, were excellently described and illustrated to the reader's mind, good show of various human emotions and sacrifices, and an ending that sat well with me.

cons: Didn't like how the title gave away the fact that they won at the end, but that can be forgiven. The main character gets a bit more whinny in this one, but switches over to rage and then struggles with his "dark side"(even though a bit cliche, it wasn't too bad), more "Way of the Clans" dogma force-feed to you, but it wasn't  quite as bad as the first two, however, plot got really choppy and hard to follow in various parts of this book

All and all, it was worth the read and I loved delving into the world of the Cimmerians. As the story progresses it does a good job of strengthening it's weaknesses and creates new strengths on top of it. My only real problems with this series was it left a good few things unanswered, but I guess thats what they are going to be making the game for, right?image

If you have a few bucks to spare and few lazy afternoons on your hands this autumn, this would be a great way to use both.

• RagalornRagalorn Member Posts: 75
    I do have a few bucks and am lazy!!! This is right up my alley. image
  • MisfitZMisfitZ Member Posts: 368

Worst addition to the Conan universe ever.

The first one wasn't complete trash, but I never even finished the second one. 

I own every other Conan novel ever printed, except this most recent rash of releases. I will buy the compilation of the original short stories by REH, but I don't expect I'll bother with any more of the "expanded universe" crap.

-----------------------------
    Listen Asmodeeus, seven years ago, Ultima Online didn't even have those pathetic "quests" that you refer to or those "professions" of ninja, samurai, necromancer, and paladin. Nor did it have any of the neon crap, or bug mounts. It didn't even have any "combat moves." You turned on attack and jousted with simplistic swings. It was a better game then. if you can't guess why then just uninstall the thing and move along. - Crabby

• AmazingAveryAmazingAvery Age of Conan AdvocateMember UncommonPosts: 7,188
    I found the Marauders 3 books far better than the Kern ones which i didnt like at all. I really reccommend anyone who wants to play AoC do a little reading up whether old or new novels to get a good feel for the lore / surroundings going into the game. Or you could always join the Acolytes and find various excellent members stories and lore masters on the forums :)