Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Bethesda Announced Paid Subscription Service For Fallout 76 - MMORPG.com

Comments

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    edited October 2019

Arterius said:

Arterius said:

I paid my $100. Fallout 76 is the only game I have ever platinumed (outside of Telltale games that throw them at you). Never spent a dime in the MTX store so I will give them some money to support them

Im sorry, but you honestly have no self respect, as a consumer. This company:

outright lied about the effort and manpower put into producing a game

went on a hype campaign with "beta testing" when they knew full well it was no where near ready

proceeded to screw up in every marketing way you could imagine

screwed up their own patching processing

used misleading "sale" tactics in their mxt store

went back on their word about game changing mxt

Now this BS. And that isnt even taking into the account the declining quality of the franchise in terms of rpg mechanics, an ancient, buggy, outdated engine. Sometimes if you CARE about something you dont feed into its crappy, self destructive behavior. But, thats what Bethesda is hoping for I guess. Any money and income for a shitty, underdeveloped, repurposed franchise is just extra income for them. Just keep rewarding them for diminishing quality and outright lies.

I have gotten more hours and fun out of Fallout 76 then anything this year, Even FFXIV. Besides I am not the only one on here saying that this isn't a bad idea or is going to get the subscription. I guess what I am trying to say is... who cares what I am spending money on as long as its on a product that I am having fun with. If you wanted to go buy Atlas or any other game that I think of in a negative light I wouldn't tell you that you shouldn't because of X, Y, and Z

Yes, you shouldnt care what you spend your money on as long as youre having fun. Im just wondering what monetary value will be your limit to pay for said "fun" since based on Bethesda's behavior only points to notching up the cost of "fun"

It looks more like the amount one would pay for a game hosting site. So this would be worth it if a player wanted to play on a private server and didn't care if Bethesda was the one hosting it.

The unlimited storage could also be helpful. Other than that? I don't see it.

But, again, if I wanted my own server, maybe my own rules and to invite people I liked and wanted to play with then sure. If I was to go with host havoc it would be $17 per month for Conan Exiles. Dark and Light would be $20.

So that's where the value probably is.
    Slapshot1188
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    Good lord. They're trying to wring every last dollar they can out of this turd. I'm embarrassed for Bethesda right now.

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• ValentinaValentina Member RarePosts: 2,081
    edited October 2019
    MMO's usually are 15/month but I feel like this is a very weird move for them to do now lol. I enjoyed the game but idk about all that lol...Maybe if they actually support the game with a lot of content but they are a far cry from where they'd need to be to even consider this as something that could go over well. 
    Palebane
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It's not just the old farts at MMORPG.COM laughing at this idiotic bit of boardroom development. It's getting absolutely savaged on the FO76 reddit where the actual fans of the game who play the game hang out. And the reddit crowd is definitely not an old crowd.

Time to whip out your silent majority argument because the old vs. young one is as bogus as this POS subscription.

[Deleted User][Deleted User]sausagemix
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• BruceYeeBruceYee Member EpicPosts: 2,556
    Looks like they are just playing around to see what will work and what won't. Can't fault them for trying to find ways to make more money cause btp price alone won't keep game up. PC games MUST find that monetization sweet spot that mobile games did a long time ago or they won't exist anymore. If adding something for a flat $100 is their goal like it is in most mobile games let them test it out a bit but don't be too hard on em or they'll just give up entirely then we're all screwed.

My opinion on this specific situation is that It's too expensive and I think PC monetization should focus on giving you such good deals that you can't resist like with Steam sales and it's why some people have thousands of games in their library. Even with ESO they should have many more crown sales and give much better discounts regularly on everything in their store. That's something W101 learned over a decade so maybe when ESO hits that mark they'll get it.
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Daakkon said:
    It feels like they themselves are trying to kill this game. Maybe i'm just reading too far into it though.
    It's not only this game. ESO is getting worse with all their cash shop crap. I get an email from them every other day about buying something from them.
  • LeFantomeLeFantome Member RarePosts: 692
    Still 7/10 ?  
    This is so funny.

• SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    This is terrible timing with no reason.

All those perks should already be in the game.

They have yet to add any meaningful DLC. The only interesting one is the upcoming Wastelanders and they delayed that into next year for this for who knows why. It would be one thing if they were pumping out fixes and great DLC but they aren't.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,837
    SlyLoK said:

They have yet to add any meaningful DLC. The only interesting one is the upcoming Wastelanders and they delayed that into next year for this for who knows why. It would be one thing if they were pumping out fixes and great DLC but they aren't.
    Imagine the shitshow if they pull an ESO and start charging for expansions to encourage that subscription.

Like, if Wastelanders ends up being paywalled like private servers are, the level of ridicule and contempt would make Diablo Immortal look like Diablo 2 Remastered.
  • vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    Happy Halloween, it arrives early.
  • CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    You know honestly, even if one game is pure crap to one person, if another person really enjoys it, who cares?

Entropia universe is a crap game for 99.99% of gamers, but i like it and have probably thrown in $4k usd over 10 years (i could liquidate and probably get back 2.6k though). Who cares? We all have our own hobbies. 

Overall, to some people, who play the game and enjoy it, they will pay for it, for those that don't, it doesn't matter. 

Looking at things from Bethesda's side:

If you didn't add an additional monetization scheme then Bethesda gets nothing either way. 

So if let's say there are 10,000 people who play the game and you do no nothing, you get no money, if 10,000 people play the game, you put in a membership and multiplayer, and 8,000 stop playing but 2,000 remain and pay the membership fee, then you make money. 

Then again, another option could be to do what No Man's Sky did and improve upon the game to get new people to buy in and play, but you could also do that after you do the membership thing. 

Overall, remember there are experienced people making these decisions instead of your keyboard warriors who have no experience on the business side of things. 
    Sovrath
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • Azaron_NightbladeAzaron_Nightblade Member EpicPosts: 4,829
    It's similar enough to renting a small server for you and a couple of friends for some other survivalgame, so I don't see the big deal tbh.

Due to the way the game is set up, renting an actual server for it is impossible. So this is their answer to that.

My SWTOR referral link for those wanting to give the game a try. (Newbies get a welcome package while returning players get a few account upgrades to help with their preferred status.)

https://www.ashesofcreation.com/ref/Callaron/

• DhampirDhampir Member UncommonPosts: 161
    I couldnt get into it....didnt like the graphics, bugs and just the way the game was handled.

Its all about what they can do to make more money with little effort.

I believe this game could have been so more more.

Considering the miscommunication of the company, i refuse to support them anymore.

CD project red ftw.
    [Deleted User]
    “Nothing is trivial.”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

“Sarah: "Buildings burn, people die, but real love is forever...”
    ― James O'Barr, The Crow

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    $100 per year or $156 if you don't like discounts is not worth the content received. At that price, they should be offering at least two expansions a year. I don't see that happening.

Let's party like it is 1863!

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited October 2019
    Aeander said:
    SlyLoK said:

Imagine the shitshow if they pull an ESO and start charging for expansions to encourage that subscription.

Like, if Wastelanders ends up being paywalled like private servers are, the level of ridicule and contempt would make Diablo Immortal look like Diablo 2 Remastered.
    The ESO thing is exactly it. As someone else pointed out earlier is that the template is akin to ESO's. The only thing is ESO fixed the game BEFORE adding ESO plus to the game (even though the game was originally a sub game).

I do like that no one is talking about Bethesda officially walked back their stance on the cash shop, promising that there will be MORE utility items added to the cash shop and get THIS....they say because the PLAYERS want more UTILITY items ADDED TO THE CASH SHOP. I mean how deluded can you get Todd Howard....I mean, everyone knew there were going to be more things, but to say they are doing it because players wanted them to? Give me a break...
  • laxielaxie Member RarePosts: 1,118
    My current hype for the coming Elder Scrolls game is below freezing point. And I almost bought the Skyrim cookbook.
    Cryomatrix
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    edited October 2019
    This has me worried for Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6. Will I have to pay real money for a horse or grind countless hours for it to encourage me to use the real money shop? (Armor sold separate)
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    This has me worried for Starfield and Elder Scrolls 6. Will I have to pay real money for a horse or grind countless hours for it to encourage me to use the real money shop? (Armor sold separate)
    You are worried about single-player games because an online multi-player game has decided to add personal servers for a sub?
    [Deleted User]
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    Arterius said:
    Evidently this is selling. There are people on twitter saying how much they like it and some people on reddit are being black sheep and making more positive threads. I am shocked. I thought there was only going to be a handful of us. Its like I said on IGN and reddit. If they can even get 1,000 to 10,000 people to sub that is a big deal. A month ago on Reddit someone said that they estimated that there were 500k to 900k players across all platforms. I would love to know the number a month from now and who is buying just to get the skins and bounce
    This is selling because people are stupid. Look at Belle Delphine selling out of bath water.

Why is this stupid? Minecraft let's me host my own server for free.

Then again after FO76 I'll probably never touch anything from Bethesda again. I can't ever see myself trusting them enough to buy something like the Skyrim collectors edition with a dragon statue after how much they shit the bed with FO76.
    sausagemix

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• RaquisRaquis Member RarePosts: 1,029
    Nilden
  • immoralthangimmoralthang Member RarePosts: 300
    Sovrath said:
    You are worried about single-player games because an online multi-player game has decided to add personal servers for a sub?
    AAA companies have been known to monetize single-player and multiplayer the same. Bethesda could consider the Daedric weapons or the Dark Brotherhood a "convenience item" in Elder Scrolls 6. 
    Iselin
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited October 2019
    How much does it usually cost to rent an 8 players server for most games like Conan, Atlas etc...?

I don't think $12.99 is out of line but maybe I am wrong.

The only reason I would do it is if I wanted a private server.

They had me at the unlimited scrap box, which btw is not the same as an unlimited stash box.

Also don't bother bundling junk anymore as bundles can't be stored in the new scrap box.

The private server actually is of little interest but the other perks aren't so bad.

;) 

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    I was under the impression that most people were pretty disappointed in this game and wouldn't pay for it?
    Palebane
  • NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916

Kyleran

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• ThaneThane Member EpicPosts: 3,534
    it's amazing that they think they can pull this shit of for a year ^^

"I'll never grow up, never grow up, never grow up! Not me!"