Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

This Land is My Land

AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
edited October 2019 in General Gaming
This looks really good, a western game where you play as the indian not the cowboy. A stealth game but can also go in guns blazing.
Can also decide to trade rather than kill.

Its a single player rpg but you can trade stuff  with other players.

https://www.thislandmyland.com/?fbclid=IwAR0Ky9IA4JOz94_dfKxNwr295gY7yK8pIbI72R08S2DIECfOtQOUL28MXng

some more gameplay

Comments

• AsheramAsheram Member EpicPosts: 5,071
    edited October 2019
    I think it is a disgraceful and utterly tasteless portrait of a race of people who for the most part were peace in nature.  It is like saying here is a game based on all white people because this is what the Nazi's did. 

It stupid and should be shut down .
    So how do you explain the tribes that raided, murdered and enslaved different tribes if they were all about "peace" as you say?
    yazuachNorseGod[Deleted User]AlBQuirkyRemaliSolar_Prophetnewbismxcheeba
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited October 2019

Seems to be some debate over the myth of the noble savage. 

I've got no issue with a game portraying indigenous peoples trying to reclaim what was theirs before, seems like a logical action for them to take.

"Yet Native American warfare was widespread long before that, Stanish said.

The natives' ancient practice of using human scalps as trophies is well documented.

Native Americans before Columbus were probably about as violent as Europeans then, Stanish contended.

Ferguson didn't dispute this; indeed, he said, there was a time of unusually heavy violence among Native Americans before Columbus, around 1325. "There was some of the worst evidence of warfare that we see anywhere in the world anytime," he said."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/2002/04/15/bones-reveal-some-truth-in-noble-savage-myth/c6a19b59-cef0-41a1-8df0-d9a59e9d02bd/

Asheram[Deleted User]AlBQuirky

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NorseGodNorseGod Member EpicPosts: 2,654
    To talk about games without the censorship, check out https://www.reddit.com/r/MMORPG/
  • NanfoodleNanfoodle Member LegendaryPosts: 10,617
    My grandmother was full Mi'kmaq and I do find these kinda of games racist. They don't paint a picture of what their culture went through. These types of games paint a generic picture that never existed. Same way Apoo was from the Simpsons. The sad part is how many start to believe this as how things were and that Natives are savages. IMO games like these should put forward a whole realistic picture of what really happened. Showing the good and the bad from both sides. 
    RexKushman[Deleted User]newbismxcheeba
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    From the trailer. This game looks to take place in the Great Plains considering the dead bison and topography. I think it is accurate to portray the Great Plains Indians in this way. The tribes of the time during US expansion west did engage in war and received their territory by trading for horses and guns to push out the tribes currently in this territory.
    [Deleted User]Asheram
    I guess RDR 1 and 2 are ok because all whites are savages. I really dont understand why some are have a problem with the game because you play as the indian.

All nordic people weren't pillagers and rapists aka vikings do you also have similar feelings about games like Ancestors Legacy?

Anyways its a video game not a historical simulator. Here is the less violent teaser trailer:

ChildoftheShadowsRexKushman
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Every game depicts a race doing something that may or may not have been historically accurate.
    AsheramAlBQuirkyKyleran
    Every game depicts a race doing something that may or may not have been historically accurate.
    I guess the only way to avoid this is make the game in a fantasy world so sjw's cant try to compare it to irl.
    ChildoftheShadowsNorseGodAlBQuirkynewbismx[Deleted User]
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Asheram said:
    I guess the only way to avoid this is make the game in a fantasy world so sjw's cant try to compare it to irl.
    Oh, they will anyway, unless it's non-humanoidal space aliens :lol:
    Asheramnewbismx[Deleted User]Kylerancheeba

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

@Prime_Directive
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comanche

"Comanche power was based on bisonhorses, trading, and raiding. They hunted the bison of the Great Plains for food and skins; their adoption of the horse from Spanish colonists in New Mexico made them more mobile; they traded with the Spanish, French, Americans and neighboring Native American peoples; and (most famously) they waged war on and raided European settlements as well as other Native Americans.[2] They took captives from weaker tribes during warfare, using them as slaves or selling them to the Spanish and later Mexican settlers. They also took thousands of captives from the Spanish, Mexican, and American settlers and incorporated them into Comanche society"
    edited October 2019
    I guess you boycotted Mel Gibsons movie Apocalypto too. You seem to be implying the native americans where somehow above human nature. But there are plenty of examples in history that I am not going to list and not by 1 tribe out of a 1000. You seem to forget the other wars that used indians to kill other indians that supported the other side.
    As far as the story you seem to know more of it than I do the game isnt even in ea yet. You seem to assume there isnt a story before the game eis even out

AlBQuirky
  • syltmackasyltmacka Member UncommonPosts: 404
    i need this game.+ native americans are cool
  • CleffyCleffy Member RarePosts: 6,412
    If we are talking about the Great Plains, there are the Dakota, Lakota, and Cheyenne as well. These tribes came from the Great Lakes area and used the horse to claim large territories. Don't fantasize history. This was a chaotic time on the Great Plains. The only one of these tribes that were somewhat peaceful was the Cheyenne. Trade with European nations allowed them to claim greater territory than those tribes that did not trade. They shifted from agrarian culture to nomadic due to the horse as civilizations did in the central steppes.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited October 2019
    Kyleran said:

I've got no issue with a game portraying indigenous peoples trying to reclaim what was theirs before, seems like a logical action for them to take.

The natives' ancient practice of using human scalps as trophies is well documented.

Native Americans before Columbus were probably about as violent as Europeans then, Stanish contended.

Ferguson didn't dispute this; indeed, he said, there was a time of unusually heavy violence among Native Americans before Columbus, around 1325. "There was some of the worst evidence of warfare that we see anywhere in the world anytime," he said."

https://www.washingtonpost.com/archive/politics/2002/04/15/bones-reveal-some-truth-in-noble-savage-myth/c6a19b59-cef0-41a1-8df0-d9a59e9d02bd/

so you quoting someone talking about Columbus who never set foot in America because he landed in the Caribbean , you realize the people of south america would've been Aztec in nature... my brain , my brain... #facepalm

That was one of the worst troll attemps I've seen in a while, how you got them to hook was an accomplishment all with in itself , 1000points/
    Lulz...crushed another opponent into the dirt with an application of quoted facts.....

Score is now about 4352 to 7. I win more often than the Patriots.

:D 
    AlBQuirky[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    ...Savages. You're all bloody savages.
    AlBQuirkyKyleran
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Asheram said:
    @Prime_Directive
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Comanche

"Comanche power was based on bisonhorses, trading, and raiding. They hunted the bison of the Great Plains for food and skins; their adoption of the horse from Spanish colonists in New Mexico made them more mobile; they traded with the Spanish, French, Americans and neighboring Native American peoples; and (most famously) they waged war on and raided European settlements as well as other Native Americans.[2] They took captives from weaker tribes during warfare, using them as slaves or selling them to the Spanish and later Mexican settlers. They also took thousands of captives from the Spanish, Mexican, and American settlers and incorporated them into Comanche society"
    one tribe out of thousands, game is racist , im done.
    Blackfoot Sioux, Cheyenne, Apache, Kiowa also. And don't read up on the Navajo's of the 16th and 17th centuries. The game is obviously depicting Native Americans of the Great Plains/westward expansion; where they would have encountered 5 of the largest and most warlike nations. 

They were brutal. No more brutal than the white settlers/U.S. gov't, but still brutal. And as the game depicts; it was their land - their land through conquest. Conquest of other tribes and then through the defense of their gains against encroaching settlers.

The game probably does have huge inaccuracies. However, you should probably research the actual history of Native American/European conflict before lumping a 400-year history of contact among hundreds (not thousands) of nations into the myth of the 'noble savage'. 

It's one thing to think they didn't deserve the treatment they received. It is another thing entirely to assume that meant they were all non-violent pacifists.  
    AlBQuirky
  • ZorgoZorgo Member UncommonPosts: 2,254
    Kyleran said:

so you quoting someone talking about Columbus who never set foot in America because he landed in the Caribbean , you realize the people of south america would've been Aztec in nature... my brain , my brain... #facepalm

That was one of the worst troll attemps I've seen in a while, how you got them to hook was an accomplishment all with in itself , 1000points/
    I love it when someone who thinks they know something #facepalm's someone with incorrect information. Aztecs were Meso-American (central American). The Incans were South America - and not all South American nations were Incan. And not all Meso-Americans were Aztec. There's Mayan and a few hundred others there.
    KyleranAlBQuirky