Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Corsair Crystal Series 680X RGB Case Review - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageCorsair Crystal Series 680X RGB Case Review - MMORPG.com

It’s never been so easy to build an amazing looking system. With the rise of tempered glass cases, RGB fans, and innovative layouts, even new system builders can assemble show-piece PCs. We recently got the chance to go hands-on a case that does just that with the Corsair Crystal 680X. It features plentiful tempered glass to show off your components, a dual-chamber design, gorgeous RGB, and an array of quality of life features to make your build smooth.

Read the full story here

Comments

• DogDroppingDanDogDroppingDan Newbie CommonPosts: 18
    If only that seal mattered.

Glass I mean yeah you can do it but it's just not smart outside of looking cool.

Unless your house and also the earth is 100% temp controlled and zero chance of moisture build ups. I'd sooner just huck my stuff into the freezer now and just pulled it out and plug it in.
    Free stuff i get it but schill cooler stuff folks actually want.
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793
    What are you talking about, moisture build up? TG cases have been a thing for a long time. I've owned four and never had condensation. Unless you are having extreme temperature swings, that is just not a thing.
  • Maddrox181Maddrox181 Member UncommonPosts: 133
    Beautiful case , I did a build with one for a friend earlier this year.

My only concern with it was the front glass chokes off the airflow , been considering getting one and modifying the front panel for my next build.
  • GameByNightGameByNight Hardware and Technology EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 793

Beautiful case , I did a build with one for a friend earlier this year.

My only concern with it was the front glass chokes off the airflow , been considering getting one and modifying the front panel for my next build.

That was my concern too. With fans on the bottom, the GPU gets a good amount of cool air, though. It was a little warmer but only a couple degrees.
  • QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    I bought a Corsair case once.  And only once.  I learned my lesson.  It's not a comment about this case in particular, but there were just too many problems with it as a result of creatively awful design decisions.

Quizzical said:

I bought a Corsair case once.  And only once.  I learned my lesson.  It's not a comment about this case in particular, but there were just too many problems with it as a result of creatively awful design decisions.

Interesting. What was the matter with it?
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Does the bottom fan take air in or blow air out?

If out, thumbs up.

If in, thumbs down. Because that's a dust sucker.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355

Quizzical said:

Interesting. What was the matter with it?
    The case in question is a Corsair Carbide 400R.  It was the most expensive computer case I've bought, and also the worst.

The most egregious problem was the fan mounts.  The screw holes are enormous--big enough that you could drop a pencil straight through them.  Thus, the screws that come with most fans won't work, as they'll just fall straight through the fan mount holes.  For the fans that came with the case, Corsair used some screws with enormous heads.  If you want to add more fans on the mounts for them, that's the sort of unusual screw that you'll need, and it's not likely to come with your fans.  But Corsair couldn't be bothered to include the screws you'd need with the case.

The case came with three fans.  In order to power them, you'd need to plug in exactly two molex connectors.  That's a reasonable enough design decision for reasons of cable routing, but it's the sort of thing that if you do it, you'd better document it.  Corsair couldn't be bothered to offer any documentation at all, either with the case or on their web site.

The drive mounts are really flimsy.  I'm okay with using plastic rather than steel.  I'm not okay with a mounting bracket easily bending back and forth by two full inches, and feeling like it's going to fall out even when mounted properly.  Not a big deal, really, but it's the sort of thing you'd expect from a cheap case that is trying to save money by making everything thinner.

This is harder to quantify, but the case also felt a lot smaller on the inside than it did on the outside.  I had a hard time trying to get the radiator for a water-cooled GPU to fit.  After the computer died, I moved the video card to an older computer in a significantly smaller Antec Three Hundred case, where it fit easily.  A bigger case is supposed to make it easier to fit everything, but the positioning of various things in the case was simply wrong for the other components I bought.

You could argue that I'm nit-picking to some degree here.  But I have no idea what someone at Corsair could have been thinking with the fan mounts.  That was egregious enough to make me wonder if I got a defective case that was missing some components that were needed to mount fans.

That doesn't necessarily mean that anything is wrong with the case you just reviewed.  But it does mean that I'm not going to buy another case from Corsair, nor will I recommend them to others.
    [Deleted User]
  • biffmofobiffmofo Member UncommonPosts: 1
    Is there a reason you went with the Deep Cool fan controller and NZXT Internal USB Hub instead of Corsair's Commander Pro? I have this same case and am adding LL140's to the bottom rear and replacing the H115i Platinum ML140's with LL140's.
  • H0urg1assH0urg1ass Member EpicPosts: 2,380
    I kind of have to agree with Quizzical here.

I've had bad experiences with Corsair too, and the most recent bad experience is with the case that I'm currently using:  Corsair Graphite 780t White

Now, it LOOKS awesome.  If I were to rate this thing on looks alone, then it would win.

It's also huge, which I wanted, and feature heavy which is nice.  Each and every spot where you could want fans mounted has these mesh dust collecting screens that keep the dust out of your system and off of your fan blades, which is nice.

But here's the problem.  The entire damn thing is just so flimsy.  I mean, there are 15x15" panels on the side that pop on and off for cable management and to access the interior, and as soon as you pop them off they start bending in your hand

They are so thin, easily dented, easily chipped and fragile that every time I take them off, I have to treat them like a newborn baby to keep them from being damaged.

The "glass" panel on the side is also extremely easy to scratch.  I have a huge nasty scratch on the "glass" panel from doing nothing more than sliding it across my butcher block desk top that I keep very clean and has 10 coats of polyurethane on it.  I can't even fathom how it got scratched sliding against something so smooth and clean, but there it is.

I'm still using it, and I didn't return it, but only because shipping something so gigantic back would have cost a ton and I already had built my machine in it and didn't feel like taking it apart.

But if I could go back and make a different decision, then this isn't the $220 computer case I would have gone with at all.

I left an appropriate review on Amazon warning others.
    [Deleted User]