Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Riot warns League of Legends streamers and players to avoid 'sensitive topics' on the air

Comments

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,355
    IceAge said:
    IceAge said:
    Quizzical said:
    IceAge said:
    Quizzical said:
    Blizzard didn't say "no politics" ahead of time.  Riot just did.  Riot is handling it properly.  Blizzard didn't.  This article is about Riot's announcement.  Let's not confuse the situations.
    Engaging in any act that, in Blizzard’s sole discretion, brings you into public disrepute, offends a portion or group of the public,

From my point of view: "Brings you into public disrepute, offends a portion or group of the public" , is exactly what Blitz did. 

Am I wrong?
    That's a vague catchall, not a clear "no politics" rule.  If you mean no politics, then say no politics.  Announcing that you think Hearthstone is a fun game will offend a portion of the public, but surely wouldn't result in a ban.
    So I am right, but you just come up with theories, based on personal beliefs.

He used Hearthstone to go into a "public disrepute" & "offended a portion or group of people" .

I mean if it wasn't the case, then be sure that Blizzard would unban him completely. But hey, seems you know better then their lawyers. As a matter of fact, seems Americans do have this "we know better" attitude. Better then even them self, lol.
    Lawyers? This was a matter of public relations, not legality.  ....although Blizzard using lawyers for a decision that's clearly about public relations would explain how they managed to screw it up so badly.
    ..and yet, if the ban was not legal, imagine the same people will go like "The ban was not even legally because the so called term which Blitz broken, was not in their ToS". And then, forums would be full of "SUE THEM!!". 
    There are a lot of things that would be legal, but still stupid.  Blizzard could announce today that they're going to pull the plug on WoW a year from now and that would be legal, but still stupid.  The catchall in their rules gives them the legal right to ban the player, but that doesn't mean that it was smart PR.
  • IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,120
    edited October 2019
    Quizzical said:
    IceAge said:
    IceAge said:
    Quizzical said:
    IceAge said:
    Quizzical said:
    Blizzard didn't say "no politics" ahead of time.  Riot just did.  Riot is handling it properly.  Blizzard didn't.  This article is about Riot's announcement.  Let's not confuse the situations.
    Engaging in any act that, in Blizzard’s sole discretion, brings you into public disrepute, offends a portion or group of the public,

From my point of view: "Brings you into public disrepute, offends a portion or group of the public" , is exactly what Blitz did. 

Am I wrong?
    That's a vague catchall, not a clear "no politics" rule.  If you mean no politics, then say no politics.  Announcing that you think Hearthstone is a fun game will offend a portion of the public, but surely wouldn't result in a ban.

He used Hearthstone to go into a "public disrepute" & "offended a portion or group of people" .

I mean if it wasn't the case, then be sure that Blizzard would unban him completely. But hey, seems you know better then their lawyers. As a matter of fact, seems Americans do have this "we know better" attitude. Better then even them self, lol.
    Lawyers? This was a matter of public relations, not legality.  ....although Blizzard using lawyers for a decision that's clearly about public relations would explain how they managed to screw it up so badly.
    ..and yet, if the ban was not legal, imagine the same people will go like "The ban was not even legally because the so called term which Blitz broken, was not in their ToS". And then, forums would be full of "SUE THEM!!". 
    There are a lot of things that would be legal, but still stupid.  Blizzard could announce today that they're going to pull the plug on WoW a year from now and that would be legal, but still stupid.  The catchall in their rules gives them the legal right to ban the player, but that doesn't mean that it was smart PR.
    ..and if it was the other way around and Blizzard didn't follow their LEGAL points, guess where would people point fingers first? On their ToS : "Hey Blizzard? Look, is in your ToS and you didn't took actions!! WTF is wrong with you".

But yes, as a PR move, was a bad move. 

...but seems not money wise. Their stocks are on a rise. Thanks to China? Maybe, but they are OK. 

So even if they took a PR hit this days , and maybe some losses on their next Q , if they will keep their balls, they will do fine. 

Why balls? Because I don't believe in conspiracy theories, that they bend to China. 

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    IceAge said:
    IceAge said:
    IceAge said:
    Quizzical said:
    IceAge said:
    Quizzical said:

Am I wrong?

Okay?  You gave a hypothetical that if Blizzard didn't have lawyers and did illegal things, things would be even worse.  Congratulations on that bit of insightfulness, I guess?
    Thanks! You are not better btw! We both discuss a political thing which has NO place in games.
    Honest question.  Is English your first language?  Your replies seem to be not following any logical path to what the posts you are quoting are saying.
  • LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    He broke a rule that was clear would get him in trouble. That's evident by the casters hiding under the table when it happened.

He broke a rule, he was punished. End of. People are choosing to rally behind a misguided cause of "Blizzard supports China" or "Blizzard censors Hong Kong support". The mob mentality kicked in and people are misrepresenting what happened.

Now every other company is scrambling to protect themselves against the nonsense of "banning a player breaking the rules is okay, unless they're trying to convey a serious message".

You don't get to use Blizzards broadcast, events and resources to spread your message. You've got a ridiculous amount of other ways to do it. 

The only people that made this political were Blitzchung and the player base.

FOR CLARITY: The punishment was very heavy-handed, obviously a knee jerk reaction because of just how inflammatory the stunt was. I don't like how they got rid of the casters (Blizzard reasoning is apparently because they didn't try to stop it) and the overall punishment of Blitzchung was too severe. I'm not debating that.  :)
    IceAgeKyleranNepheth
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Linif said:
    He broke a rule that was clear would get him in trouble. That's evident by the casters hiding under the table when it happened.

He broke a rule, he was punished. End of. People are choosing to rally behind a misguided cause of "Blizzard supports China" or "Blizzard censors Hong Kong support". The mob mentality kicked in and people are misrepresenting what happened.

Now every other company is scrambling to protect themselves against the nonsense of "banning a player breaking the rules is okay, unless they're trying to convey a serious message".

You don't get to use Blizzards broadcast, events and resources to spread your message. You've got a ridiculous amount of other ways to do it. 

FOR CLARITY: The punishment was very heavy-handed, obviously a knee jerk reaction because of just how inflammatory the stunt was. I don't like how they got rid of the casters (Blizzard reasoning is apparently because they didn't try to stop it) and the overall punishment of Blitzchung was too severe. I'm not debating that.  :)
    They actually softened the punishment. Which was just as bad a knee jerk reaction.

/Gan bei,
    Lahnmir
    Linif
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

edited October 2019
    Linif said:

Blizzard martyring him like that straight into the national news means that using Blizzard's broadcast, events, and resources to spread his message was exactly what he did, and he did it incredibly successfully.

Lesson learned for every other game company.  Gee, when you do esports and thus have people who are not employees of your company and not controlled by you involved, and you give them live broadcasted interviews, you might actually get their inner views.  Who knew?  Well, Riot and everyone else knows now, at least.
    IceAge said:
    IceAge said:
    IceAge said:
    Quizzical said:
    IceAge said:
    Quizzical said:

Am I wrong?

Okay?  You gave a hypothetical that if Blizzard didn't have lawyers and did illegal things, things would be even worse.  Congratulations on that bit of insightfulness, I guess?
    Thanks! You are not better btw! We both discuss a political thing which has NO place in games.
    Honest question.  Is English your first language?  Your replies seem to be not following any logical path to what the posts you are quoting are saying.
    Of course not. Not even the second one. 

..and that's the beauty of it. I can say anything I want, in no particular order, and come up with this excuse :D

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?

Gee, when you do esports and thus have people who are not employees of your company and not controlled by you involved...
    Except it was controlled by Blizzard contract which in the end, he broke it. 

Why do people still come up with personal entitled facts and put them like they are..really facts?
    Kyleran

lahnmir said:
    Linif said:

They actually softened the punishment. Which was just as bad a knee jerk reaction.

/Gan bei,
    Lahnmir
    Oh for sure. Going back on their decision is really hurting their position on this. (I know that sounds sarcastic, it's not lol). Backing down gives the impression they've done something bad. I'm happy they softened it because it seemed too harsh initially. But it's given a form of justification to the player base's reaction to the situation. 
    edited October 2019
    IceAge said:
      Gee, when you do esports and thus have people who are not employees of your company and not controlled by you involved...

Why do people still come up with personal entitled facts and put them like they are..really facts?
    That was a set of tournament rules, not a contract. No wonder why you keep rambling about lawyers and law regarding an issue that's primarily about public relations.
    Linif said:

Blizzard martyring him like that straight into the national news means that using Blizzard's broadcast, events, and resources to spread his message was exactly what he did, and he did it incredibly successfully.

Lesson learned for every other game company.  Gee, when you do esports and thus have people who are not employees of your company and not controlled by you involved, and you give them live broadcasted interviews, you might actually get their inner views.  Who knew?  Well, Riot and everyone else knows now, at least.
    I would assume he knew it would work, but just not as well as it did. It worked exceptionally well and sets a really bad precedent for people who may want to do this in the future.

Aye, the risk always existed no matter the company or industry. Blizzard and any company in any industry trust their people to act professionally. Sometimes they don't.
    edited October 2019
    IceAge said:

That was a set of tournament rules, not a contract. No wonder why you keep rambling about lawyers and law regarding an issue that's primarily about public relations.
    ..which HE agreed before participating in the tournament. Is like a contract, unwriten. A guy reads the rules of the tournament to you. You agree to the rules. You break them, you get consequences, which ARE written in their tournament ToS. If the guy didn't read those, its his fault.  
    Kylerancheeba

edited October 2019
    Linif said:
    Linif said:

I would assume he knew it would work, but just not as well as it did. It worked exceptionally well and sets a really bad precedent for people who may want to do this in the future.

Aye, the risk always existed no matter the company or industry. Blizzard and any company in any industry trust their people to act professionally. Sometimes they don't.
    The dangers of esports. The players in it arent "their people".  If he was an actual employee of Blizzard's or even just a contractor, they could have coached him on the interview in advance or forced him to follow a specific carefully worded legally binding company policy manual.  Instead they had to rely on this vague "at our discretion" tournament rule with arbitrary nondefined "offense" for a live freeform interview.  And well, we have the disastrous results of that.

I'm sure lots of other tournament participants will continue to find ways to express their views even after this precedent.  They really don't have much to lose after all relatively speaking. Even NBA players are employees. Esports players?  Not so much.
    Linif said:
    Linif said:

The dangers of esports. The players in it arent "their people".  If he was an actual employee of Blizzard's or even just a contractor, they could have coached him on the interview in advance or forced him to follow a specific carefully worded legally binding company policy manual.  Instead they had to rely on this vague "at our discretion" tournament rule with arbitrary nondefined "offense" for a live freeform interview.  And well, we have the disastrous results of that.

I'm sure lots of other tournament participants will continue to find ways to express their views even after this precedent.  They really don't have much to lose after all relatively speaking. Even NBA players are employees. Esports players?  Not so much.
    More excuses for bringing politics into GAMES!

Well done! :)

IceAge said:
    Linif said:
    Linif said:

More excuses for bringing politics into GAMES!

Well done! :)
     Dangers, not excuses.  Excuses would be if I said they should bring politics into games.  Dangers are about how they WILL bring politics into games.
    DMKano said:
    Blizzard is so full of shit

They say they dont allow any talk of social justice or politics  - but look at their previous events

Yeah.

So basically if we can profit off it - we are totally fine with social and political issues 

F U Blizzard!
    The intro of their official apology can actually be concatanated as "Here at Blizzard, every voice matters.  However..."
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Hey guys, when I posted this early in the AM I thought it would get closed by management who now close their own articles/threads for discussion.

I then realized, it's the weekend.  :D

ENJOY WHILE IT LASTS!

Iselin[Deleted User]cheeba
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Hey guys, when I posted this early in the AM I thought it would get closed by management who now close their own articles/threads for discussion.

I then realized, it's the weekend.  :D

ENJOY WHILE IT LASTS!

I see banned people. Some of them don't even know they're banned.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    mmolou said:
    DMKano said:
    Riot is a Chinese owned company - no surprise. 

They can get bent together with Blizzard.

Anyone who stands in support of any country that still runs concentration camps can fuck right off.
    So that includes America/Americans as well then?
    By "country"  he means government in this context. In which case, to answer your question, hell yes. Fortunately the American impeachment inquiries are already ongoing.
    The impeachment attempts are ludicrous, the Ukraine debacle implicates Biden and Clinton, not Trump, which is hillarious. As for concentration camps, the USA does not have any, and that is a fact.
    Iselin[Deleted User]TyranusPrimecheeba
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    IceAge said:
    Then I'll just paraphrase Southpark.  You gotta give up some of your ideals and freedoms if you want to suck on the warm cash cow of China.
    Pff :) Be my guess.

A lot of companies and people are giving up some of their ideals and freedoms to suck on the warm cash cow of USA

How is it that there's only China money in all this world? USA money no? Or are you guys assuming that they are "all clean"?
    Is that a joke? the Chinese government is using cash to gain influence, the stories about attempted bribes are likely dwarfed by the number of successful bribes, this isn't even something that is unknown.  :/
  • dave6660dave6660 Member UncommonPosts: 2,699
    DMKano said:
    Riot and Blizzard are so full of shit

They say they dont allow any talk of social justice or politics or "sensitive issues" - but look at their previous events

Yeah.

So basically if we can profit off it - we are totally fine with social and political issues 

But when it's detrimental to our profits - ban ban ban!

F U Blizzard and Riot
    The same goes for religion  They sell in-game Christmas cosmetics every year.  But ask for proof that deities exist and they suspend your account.

“There are certain queer times and occasions in this strange mixed affair we call life when a man takes this whole universe for a vast practical joke, though the wit thereof he but dimly discerns, and more than suspects that the joke is at nobody's expense but his own.”
    -- Herman Melville

edited October 2019
    Phry said:
    IceAge said:
    Then I'll just paraphrase Southpark.  You gotta give up some of your ideals and freedoms if you want to suck on the warm cash cow of China.
    Pff :) Be my guess.

A lot of companies and people are giving up some of their ideals and freedoms to suck on the warm cash cow of USA

How is it that there's only China money in all this world? USA money no? Or are you guys assuming that they are "all clean"?
    Is that a joke? the Chinese government is using cash to gain influence, the stories about attempted bribes are likely dwarfed by the number of successful bribes, this isn't even something that is unknown.  :/
    What the .. ?

And what do you think the US government is doing with their cash, or most of the countries actually, beside other things?! Yes, that is correct. Using cash to gain influence.

Phry said:
    mmolou said:
    DMKano said:

Anyone who stands in support of any country that still runs concentration camps can fuck right off.
    By "country"  he means government in this context. In which case, to answer your question, hell yes. Fortunately the American impeachment inquiries are already ongoing.
    The impeachment attempts are ludicrous, the Ukraine debacle implicates Biden and Clinton, not Trump, which is hillarious. As for concentration camps, the USA does not have any, and that is a fact.
    The impeachment is ludicrous only in the eyes of nationalists, supporters of closed boarders, etc. Aka..trump supporters.

The impeachment is VERY legit, like it or not. For other things which you said, the implication of Biden and Clinton, I'm sure there will be someone who will properly investigate the ..issue, if , of course, are actually true. 

I tend to believe are not, because yesterday, the trump lawyer, made a statements that Romania is also involved with "illegal" activities regarding Biden. Which wow, are so pathetic.
    cheeba

• EmeraqEmeraq Member UncommonPosts: 1,063
    Next up in the news, An online streamer is banned from BK and may never purchase another BK Product worldwide ever again after eating a Whopper while talking politics, social issues and expressing their opinion/stance......  Sounds ridiculous right?  but that's how this whole thing sounds to me! If the gamer/streamer is not an employee of the company that owns the game, then their voice shouldn't be restricted to whatever that company does or does not want them to say.. Banning them makes little sense as personal opinions of non-employees should NOT reflect on the company. So, maybe it just shows how closed minded that company is to anyones opposing views?!  But that seems to be the theme of things in the world these days....
    KyleranjimmywolfNorseGodcheeba
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    edited October 2019
    Phry said:
    mmolou said:
    DMKano said:

You say Tomayto, I say Tomahto, concentration camp, detention camp, are they really that much different?

Not if you are one of the detainees I'm guessing. 

"The Guantanamo Bay detention camp is a United States military prison located within Guantanamo Bay Naval Base,[1] also referred to as GuantánamoG-BayGTMO, and Gitmo (/ˈɡɪtmoʊ/), which is on the coast of Guantánamo Bay in Cuba. Indefinite detention without trial and torturehave led the operations of this camp to be considered a major breach of human rights by Amnesty International and a violation of Due Process Clause of the Fifth and Fourteenth amendments of the United States Constitution.[2][3][4]"
    IceAgecheeba

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Oh wow, you guys are going full coo coo. We gonna bring up the Trumptard now?

NorseGod
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
This discussion has been closed.