Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge Unchained Gifting Disabled After Player Concern

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageArcheAge Unchained Gifting Disabled After Player Concern

ArcheAge Unchained fans have a thing or two to say about "pay-to-win confirmed" in the dev team's latest live stream, according to Massively OP.

Read the full story here

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    It's still enabled in ESO. Officers in most major guilds act as part time brokers. You give them the gold to hold until the other party gifts you the crown shop item and they release the gold after you receive your "gift."

So yeah, disabling it altogether is the only way to prevent the unofficial but tolerated sale of gold through gifting.
    [Deleted User]cheeba[Deleted User]
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    There's going to be outside gold selling for real money so it makes no difference either way, to the players. People that want to use real money to get more gold will still do it, like in every game.
    IselincheebaxybedoutDhampirkillerkr123
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • toafarmertoafarmer Member UncommonPosts: 4
    I'm impressed to know ArcheAge is still a thing. It was the game that made me never ever again want to touch anything related to Trion.
    LexTalionDarkpigeonWhiskeydustPerjuregastovski1
    There's going to be outside gold selling for real money so it makes no difference either way, to the players. People that want to use real money to get more gold will still do it, like in every game.
    I mostly agree with that statement in that buying gold produces the same P2W result regardless of how you do it. But running the risk of the ban all games have for gold buying does make a difference to a lot of people.

Now, where did Mr. "Hi, I am delivery." go? :)
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

• GruugGruug Member RarePosts: 1,791
    The wording is odd as they say gifting is "disabled" and not "removed".
    [Deleted User]ScotCoolit[Deleted User]infomatz

Let's party like it is 1863!

• Pr0tag0ni5tPr0tag0ni5t Member UncommonPosts: 259

Iselin said:

I mostly agree with that statement in that buying gold produces the same P2W result regardless of how you do it. But running the risk of the ban all games have for gold buying does make a difference to a lot of people.

Now, where did Mr. "Hi, I am delivery." go? :)

This is a sincere question....if the only items to buy are cosmetic, etc. even if someone 'bought' gold how does that give an advantage over other players gameplay wise? Like I will win all the PVP because I was able to afford this cool 'Premium' Bridal Gown costume to fight in? What am I missing calling this PTW, cash grab?
    Kalafaxultimateduckitchmon

edited October 2019

This is a sincere question....if the only items to buy are cosmetic, etc. even if someone 'bought' gold how does that give an advantage over other players gameplay wise? Like I will win all the PVP because I was able to afford this cool 'Premium' Bridal Gown costume to fight in? What am I missing calling this PTW, cash grab?
    People can say they will buy you something cosmetic and you give them gold for it. The person got gold by spending real money. The item from the cash shop isn't the concern, it's the gold.

It's no different than what WoW does with the WoW Token or how you can exchange gems for gold in GW2, except the actual exchange isn't built into a trading system so one person would have to 'trust' the other.

But, they've stopped it which puts it as better than some of the more popular MMOs in terms of P2W.
    IselinLeFantome

People can say they will buy you something cosmetic and you give them gold for it. The person got gold by spending real money. The item from the cash shop isn't the concern, it's the gold.

It's no different than what WoW does with the WoW Token or how you can exchange gems for gold in GW2, except the actual exchange isn't built into a trading system so one person would have to 'trust' the other.

But, they've stopped it which puts it as better than some of the more popular MMOs in terms of P2W.

Thanks for the reply! I get real money is exchanged for gold. However I am still confused as to how that gives someone an advantage over another player. PTW = Pay to Win correct? So what 'Win' am I paying for that makes my character stronger than every other character?
    [Deleted User]NecromaDrius75

Thanks for the reply! I get real money is exchanged for gold. However I am still confused as to how that gives someone an advantage over another player. PTW = Pay to Win correct? So what 'Win' am I paying for that makes my character stronger than every other character?
    Whatever is rare, powerful and expensive in the auction house that you're using the gold you paid cash to buy.
    Pr0tag0ni5t

― Umberto Eco

― CD PROJEKT RED

The person that got the gold after can buy whatever they want with that gold, such as the best equipment. They'd just get to that point a hell of a lot faster than someone earning the gold or items normally.
    Pr0tag0ni5t

Iselin said:

Whatever is rare, powerful and expensive in the auction house that you're using the gold you paid cash to buy.

Ahh so the BOE items in the auction house....that makes sense. I thought you were referring to in game cash shop of cosmetic items being PTW. Thanks for the clarification, sorry I was a little slow on that one...:D

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    But what about those who grind-to-win cuz they have no job . . . How do we people who work all day compete?
    xybedout
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    edited October 2019
    Wow what a reliable way to survey people, post 1 or 2 in twitch chat /rolleyes. Do they really know what they are doing? 
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• OnisDEOnisDE Member UncommonPosts: 47
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    So many dumb,blind people that do not understand economics,geesh and i have been out of school for 40 years.I could spell it out but when i tried it took me too long so i'll just let people be stupid and hand their money over to greedy businesses.

Hey we all make mistakes in life,yes i sometimes call myself a dumbass for some of my mistakes however i HOPE to always learn,that is how life works,we learn from the past.
    Cash shop gaming and deception has been going on long enough,10 years or so or more,time for people to wake up.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• RanyrRanyr Member UncommonPosts: 212
    The shop is cosmetic items. It's not p2w in any sense of the definition. You act like this gold appears from the ether.
    LeFantomeultimateduck
    Arterius said:
    Wizardry said:
    So many dumb,blind people that do not understand economics,geesh and i have been out of school for 40 years.I could spell it out but when i tried it took me too long so i'll just let people be stupid and hand their money over to greedy businesses.

Hey we all make mistakes in life,yes i sometimes call myself a dumbass for some of my mistakes however i HOPE to always learn,that is how life works,we learn from the past.
    Cash shop gaming and deception has been going on long enough,10 years or so or more,time for people to wake up.
    To late for that. My cousin is 18. He has been gaming with MTX and loot boxes since he was 13 or so. For him its normal to spend money on MTX and loot boxes every now and again. For the new generation of gamers they don't know any better. Thats the problem with MMO's though is I would wager that the people who are playing them are of an older crowd
    I keep letting Wiz know that the Atlas devs have confirmed they are adding a cash shop when the game comes out of early access. I never get a reply.
    [Deleted User]PalebaneBorluc
  • BlazerXBlazerX Member UncommonPosts: 86
    edited October 2019

DMKano said:

Gruug said:

Just one of many things that are disabled that will be enabled at some point.

ArcheAge unchained was 100% doomed as soon as it was revealed that it had a cash shop present.

This is like giving your house keys to thieves and saying- oh they told me they dont steal anymore - I trust them!

Hmm... why did they keep the cash shop?

Because the cash shop is the way into players wallets - look at retail version, all of those things can be "enabled" in Unchained.

Only a matter of time.

You know I find people like you really stupid sometimes it really bothers me.

You say you want to play an MMORPG and yet you expect support in the game.

You understand that when you play an MMORPG, this isn't your game, its the game of the developers who are allowing you to play through a client you buy into their abridged world (server).

They have to have people EMPLOYED meaning they have to make money somehow to have those people employed to keep working to help YOU to play the game you want to play.

Nothing is for free indefinitely. Businesses have to JUSTIFY their existence, meaning they better be turning a profit to keep that MMORPG alive or it would literally be STUPID for the company to keep running it.

You really should be glad as hell that they are going with a buy2play model and disallowing anything P2W at least for awhile. Unless YOU think you can bankroll the company to keep it that way.

Only a little CHILD like yourself do not understand these real world concepts.
    Iselin[Deleted User]FlyByKnight[Deleted User]SpottyGekko3vilution
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited October 2019
    But what about those who grind-to-win cuz they have no job . . . How do we people who work all day compete?
    They are totally P2W too, Play 2 Win. 

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    mcrippinsCryomatrix
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• PurplePepePurplePepe Member UncommonPosts: 122
    XLGames has been very responsive to Gamigo's and player's concerns. I'm looking forward to launch. Naturally we'll all weary and watchful but there is a sincere effort to launch a game with the ruleset and monetization that players want. There will be continued battles with hacks, balancing, and RMT, but AU is on the right track.
    Borluc[Deleted User]
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,955
    edited October 2019

Arterius said:

Wizardry said:

To late for that. My cousin is 18. He has been gaming with MTX and loot boxes since he was 13 or so. For him its normal to spend money on MTX and loot boxes every now and again. For the new generation of gamers they don't know any better. Thats the problem with MMO's though is I would wager that the people who are playing them are of an older crowd

The goal posts are always being moved to further bad practice; we started of saying that buying anything that was not cosmetic is bad, then this changed to game altering (so a health potion was OK a super damage sword was not), now we are saying gambling in games is bad. The bad practice does not go away more just keeps coming along.

When developers start talking about skin economies and have video tutorials from the team on what that means (maybe somebody will remember which MMO that was), you know this will never end. There is always going to be a new ploy to milk cash in a way that is detrimental to gameplay.

They have cancelled this system for now (not all items though?) so that does show good faith, but it raises the spectre of bringing back such changes after launch.
  • NecromaNecroma Member UncommonPosts: 45
    edited October 2019
    Ranyr said:
    The shop is cosmetic items. It's not p2w in any sense of the definition. You act like this gold appears from the ether.
    Bruh... what do you not understand. You sell a costume for 100 gold, there's no limit for selling costume so if either you're rich or have money to spend, you buy 10,50 or 100 costumes for 100x10/x50/x100 gold. Now, there's an auction house in the game where you can buy close to BiS gear(at least crafted gear was the best long ago) for like 200-500g or mats to get the best gear possible asap and you're literally p2w the game with bough gold(real money traded for game money, doesn't matter that some chinese guy had to run his scripts for botting and farming that gold), the fact that you can't outright buy p2w gear from cashshop just makes that guy do the actuall clicking and checking/buying mats for that BiS gear to craft, is it fixable, i fucking doubt it with the current mindset of MMO which is just to get money the easiest/fastest way. And not to mention they're "disabling" the options of retail with the possibility to "enable" them in the future 10/10 no p2w in couple of months confirmed
  • CoolitCoolit Member UncommonPosts: 661

Gruug said:

I realise people desperately want a non-P2W AA and I get that but I think they are deluded to think that after the reviews are out and the income starts to dip that the P2W line won't be crossed as the game is not even out yet and they have tried to encroach on it. Just look at BDO as a prime example of this.
    Necroma said:
    And not to mention they're "disabling" the options of retail with the possibility to "enable" them in the future 10/10 no p2w in couple of months confirmed
    Dead bored of people saying this, it's really stretching and just picking at the wording.

They are not going to rewrite the same store code that they use for 2 different clients when they can just change a single variable to turn it off instead. Gifting will still be available on the Legacy ArcheAge that uses the same store software. They have like 3 days until launch as well, flipping the switch is the only sane option to get it sorted immediately.
    cheeba
  • CygiCygi Member RarePosts: 257
    Why comments are disabled in the newest post about Blizzard China failure?