Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Do Not Worry About Graphics

BraviusBravius Member Posts: 15

First of all the graphics in the screen shots are tuned all the way down to minimum to prevent lag and it's only the beta test anyway. Besides, if this is a great game people will play it whether or not it has good graphics. Look at Runescape, ithe graphics suck but it is great game with a lot of people. So no one worry about graphics, they will probably tune them on high when the final beta test comes out and they let thousands into it with full graphics to see if the servers can handle it.

-Brav

Comments

• LordMagnusLordMagnus Member CommonPosts: 1,322

Graphics are the least important thing in a game in my opinion.

• MMHELMMHEL Member Posts: 313

Originally posted by LordMagnus

Graphics are the least important thing in a game in my opinion.

Same here  inless there blocks with no texture and are u really going to play all the games in you WAITING FOR list
  • LordMagnusLordMagnus Member CommonPosts: 1,322

Originally posted by MMHEL
    Originally posted by LordMagnus
    Graphics are the least important thing in a game in my opinion.Same here inless there blocks with no texture and are u really going to play all the games in you WAITING FOR list

I plan to play all the games in my waiting for list. I have a feeling I'll be dissapointed in more than half of them though so the list will slowly shorten.

With school coming up though, I may not have any time to play ANYTHING at all =[.

• BBT3BBT3 Member Posts: 6

Originally posted by Bravius

First of all the graphics in the screen shots are tuned all the way down to minimum to prevent lag and it's only the beta test anyway. Besides, if this is a great game people will play it whether or not it has good graphics. Look at Runescape, ithe graphics suck but it is great game with a lot of people. So no one worry about graphics, they will probably tune them on high when the final beta test comes out and they let thousands into it with full graphics to see if the servers can handle it.
                               -Brav

A rather strange decision don't you think? It seems more reasonable to turn all the graphics "up" just to show what it could be like. Afterall, why show screenshots at all if it isn't a true depiction of the game experience?
  • BraviusBravius Member Posts: 15
    I am a very dedicated user on roma victor and its forums and what i am telling you is the most recent news goin around. I am very up to date on these forums and if u need help with anything especially things that will turn u to this game email me at    [email protected]
  • PrJdGmrPrJdGmr Member Posts: 71

Originally posted by BBT3

A rather strange decision don't you think? It seems more reasonable to turn all the graphics "up" just to show what it could be like. Afterall, why show screenshots at all if it isn't a true depiction of the game experience?

Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't most or all of the screenshots have been taken by the testers, correct?  Rather than being planned and set up by the devs to show a "true depiction of the game experience"?

• SirBorisSirBoris Member Posts: 103
    With a month and a half away from launch , it does seem to be a good idea to start showing some better screenshots. Even if the release date is pushed off another month, it still seems awfully close to not show all the visual features turned on.
  • IijsIijs Member Posts: 457

It's hard not to bash the graphics if that is all they've shown us. Just my opinion, but methinks if no one has bothered to turn up the graphics by this stage, it's because they can't. Whether it's engine limitations, lag issues, or EVERY tester has a crappy graphics card... I guess only the devs know for sure. ::::12::

Seeing is believing, and so far I haven't seen anything to make me believe the graphics are going to knock anyone's socks off. It's certainly not going to stop people from playing the game, but if there are other issues (like Shadowbane experienced), the graphics are going to add fuel to the fire.

I'm still betting on the game being a winner.

• Mikey0114Mikey0114 Member Posts: 310

You guys make no sense what so ever!!!!!

Firstly I doubt that date on MMORPG is accurate at all....they never really proposed a date....its just expected to be released before the end of the year....get that into your head....there has been no official date...so no bull about release being a month away...its obvious that the game isn't ready for release.

I do believe however that they may have encountered problems and that release for them will be pushed a month or so....since contest winners for the beta test haven't been participating yet.

Now about the graphics....if the game is still under heavy development and the devs mentioned this themselves (They are not  trying to show flashy screenshots at high graphics lvl) what they screenshots they release, they release to show the community what has been accomplished. Every screenshot I have seen has been quite different from the other...some times they have 2 screenshots of the same thing but they are all very different. A very few were at night probably to show us what the night atmosphere would be like...others were during a battle and others were allowing us to view what heavy armour looked like.

The reason graphics are still low lvl is because the game seems to be still under heavy development....so they must have not yet given beta testers the option to set graphics to high so that they can accurately pin point locations where low fps may be located. Obviously you some of you haven't committed yourself to serious beta testing and so now you have learnt a lesson about it.

Now I am taking a good guess that you people have admitted that you failed to find screenshots taken with graphics set to high....you should better start keeping yourself up to date more then you do. I am not in the mood for searching but in this very forum you will find some posts with screenshots whos  graphics are set to high...and they wre quite impressive and very sharp!

Learn to start keeping yourself up to date more before you make statements and accusations about the development of a game without using common sense and hard facts to back it up.

• Arno7577Arno7577 Member Posts: 25

If the game is good and I like it I really don't care much about the graphic.

obvioulsy teh perfection would be a very nice graphic with a great gameplay and game concepts..but unfortunately it is going to be very difficult to get all this.

Therefore I'm quite happy to play a "deep" game with a non astounishing graphic rather than a crap game with an amazing graphic.

And to be honest RV doesn't seem to be that terrible: there is obviously better on the market but the gam looks promising.

I'll definetly give it a go.

In my opinion RV has the potential to be one of the best games on the market. Not only because its proposing to include features never tried before by other MMORPGs but also because its using all the right features needed for an Open PvP game....the game also totally depends on skill not time player but real skill....in other words twitch combat!

Then the best reason I can use to support my opinion is that the devs know what is needed to make the game....they don't seem at all interested in letting it be released before its ready (thats why they haven't mentioned any dates and have delayed the next beta phase). They know how to prioritise and they know what the community wants....why?....cause they keep constant communication between their team and the community.

A game being developed with a low budget doesn't mean its not gonna be possibly the best. Big game MMORPGs in my opinion continue to have flaws and problems...and sometimes are even incomplete....so tell me why you believe a low budget game doesn't have as much chance as a high budget game.

Just keep one thought in mind...do you think the investors for high budget games agree when they hear the game release must be delayed further if it is to be succesful.....you think they actually understand?....What I think they start to do is increase the pressure on the dev teams and thats where things go wrong. I could go into a lot of detail and possibilities about the reasons why things go wrong and you won't believe this but every company encounter these problems.

• TaswavoTaswavo Member Posts: 26

Just thought I'd say that (as soon as I can get one thing sorted out) I'll be paying to buy some in-game cash for the first time (Sesterceses?  have I got the spelling right this time?) - and those of us that pay NOW are helping development with a mid-beta influx of RL cash that would otherwise be supplied by a larger game company from projected sales coffers

So they HAVE there planned initial hardware (as mentioned elsewhere on this site) and hopefully we'll see a broadening of the beta soon

From what I hear most of you will want to be sissy 'I want to rule' Romans so I'll you on the field of battle come the release image

Stay Frosty

I look forward to it m8! If I can master Rome Total War...I am sure I will be able to run as a good general in Roma Victor....big difference I know.....at the moment I am practicing with Morrowind's sword play, Horizons MMORPG for crafting and such, and Rome Total War (for my own enjoymenty). That mix should help me untill I am able to start playing Roma Victor....I hope I can be accepted into a Beta Phase though!....I don't know hopw to get noticed though, its not only for playing Roma Victor, I take beta tests very seriously, but doing beta tests gives me sort of ok experience....I am studying software development at College at the moment thats why....so I am really hoping I can get accepted into beta to get a hands on experience with the game...and help with the beta to do my best to help the game be as good as it possibly can be before release.

• IcoGamesIcoGames Member Posts: 2,360

I'm actaully leary (sp?) of games that tout graphics (read SOE). Although graphics are nice, gameplay is ultimately the deciding factor for me.

So far RV looks awesome!

Ico
    Oh, cruel fate, to be thusly boned. Ask not for whom the bone bones. It bones for thee.

• TaswavoTaswavo Member Posts: 26

I've gone from uber cash to less in the last month (by RL choice working 5 half days a week from home rather than 5 days a week 50 miles away = 40% in pocket) so playing on multiple payed-for  MMORPGs is not the option I had before - if I do it again at all it will be for a GOOD one

I play GW now because

a) it's free

b) is bloody good

c) good gameplay

d) good DIFFERENT gameplay with different classes (area I'm worried about in RV)

e) good graphics (know can be better in RV but not seen top notch yet)

f) plans to add on beyond where I've got already

I don't choose big price, awesome graphics, fool-filled crap (thinks wow,ev2)

But I don't choose to play a game I played for FOUR YEARS a while back, UO, AWESOME game where the developers failed to see the NEED to improve graphics - actually they SAW it and decided they could duck it (I was around at that time)

So the moral of the story is graphics DO matter if they are poorer than everything around and spoils the 'suspension of belief' but they are NOT the thing that keeps people playing for FOUR years!!

Combine both and you rule MMORPG for anyone and everyone that wants you style of game

Stay Frosty

I agree with you to a limit about the graphics.....if they help appreciate the surroundings...the environtment (example a forest full of life) I think yes graphics do matter....I want to see lots of detail.....the graphics themselves don't have to be speculating....but the content and imagery....thats what I love in 3d games with great detailed terrain and sights and just full of content (of course to have great detail and all that in the land....you need some graphics to satisfy the look!). To me thats the important part of graphics....that they fufill the feeling of the surroundings and terrain you character is surrounded by.
  • I don't care about graphics (they cease to be interesting after a couple days of playing any game) but I do care about gameplay and so far I like what I am hearing about Roma Victor. In this eq clone gaming world it's nice to see someone attempting to break the mold and I plan to play this when it goes live. I'm not a tester and would rather experience a game cold without knowning to much so I am happy to wait and see how and when this game unfolds (and avoiding all the pre release hype and hysteria).

You know there are already games like this but better which are text based if you don't care about graphics. Why are you waiting for Roma Victor if you think you'll find them boring after a few days?

My view....graphics can have an amazing effect on a game. Im not saying fireworks and flares with pretty colors and nice well done shading and lighting schemes to make everything shiny, but actual good detail! To me graphics do make a differnce in a game at times, helping me to appreciate the game a bit more, if the graphics can display a full enviroment! In other words the surroundings, if the surroundings of my player character are in detail (and of course that means with standard graphics) then I am greatly pleased! Lets say graphics like Morrowind. People would say they are apsolute crap, but I find them to be perfectly what I like, excluding character models (they were absolutely horrible!).

But the surroundings in Morrowing, with the myst and so on in the swamp, help you settle into the setting....you really do get the idea you are in a swamp....and thats what I want in  a game. No special eyecandey like using the right shadings and lightings to make things all shiney and fireworks and flares to make you go wow. I just want to see a real world....and with niceley detailed character models. You don't need graphics for that, Roma Victors graphics (im relating to the best screenshots the devs have released not all) I think are great for making this realistic setting.

• graham187graham187 Member Posts: 20

Sound is more important then graphics, although I've not encountered a mmorpg game with really great sound.

Studies have been done comparing high quality visual with crappy sound vs moderate quality visual with high quality sound and most people seem to find the moderate quality visual looked better even though it actually wasn't. Sound plays tricks on the mind. If game designers wanted to trick gamers into believing the visuals were amazing, they should make the sound quality the highest available.

I havn't been able to find out what kind of sound engine Roma Victor will be expected to use, anybody know if it'll be high quality 3D? Maybe with compressed dolby digital ex? Doubtful but I can always dream.

Yeah you are right, sort of, I think in Roma Victor, because of twitch combat (which I love now because of Mount & Blade) you need to see clearly whats about to strike you so graphics and details are definitley important. Sound also needs help doing that. If somone whos a pro at Archerery, or throws a javlin from far off, you would want to hear it comming, otherwise you can't see it comming and have a chance to block it. You would also want to use sound to know in advanced if there is enemy cavalry close by from the sound of galloping horses....that would actually be a damn cool scouting skill!

I hope Kanoth can explain to us "in detail" to the features of sound and how detailed it will be.