Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Five Overlooked Features that Every MMO Needs - Som Pourfarzaneh - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageFive Overlooked Features that Every MMO Needs - Som Pourfarzaneh - MMORPG.com

We’ve all got our must-have gameplay systems that absolutely need to be present to secure our patronage to a new MMO or RPG on the block. For some, it’s an in-depth crafting system that allows players to create the most powerful items in the game and corner the market with their wares. For others, it’s a fully realized PvP system that requires the use of different strategies and builds, with leaderboards and rewards to boot.

Read the full story here

Comments

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Minor features at best, more fluff than anything, autosorting inventory items, i think more people are concerned about having insufficient inventory space as thats the most common issue, group finders, well depends who you ask, some people like them, others think they destroy games. I think more people are concerned about gameplay issues than how the deck chairs are arranged. In PVE focused games the concern is probably about the games content, with PVP, its how balanced the game is, and how much impact P2W has, which is usually a lot. :/  
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,505
    edited October 2019
    1. Writers who can discern between a MMORPG vs another type, say lobby shooters which have somewhat different needs. Group finders are essential in the latter but can be a huge negative in a virtual world.

2. How about fewer currencies, especially those related to cash shops and RMT?

3. Inventory sorters or remote mgmt are nice to have, but I'd rather have access to unlimited space, I'm a horder who despises being forced to part with my stuff.  One of the few items I'd pay a fair monthly fee for as ESO does.

Anyone else feel this author's articles are meant to raise hackles?

Should probably leave the trolling... err provocative discussion points to the experts who live under the bridge I'm thinking.

>:)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Kyleran said:
    1. Writers who can discern between a MMORPG vs another type, say lobby shooters which have somewhat different needs. Group finders are essential in the latter but can be a huge negative in a virtual world.

3. Inventory sorters or remote mgmt are nice to have, but I'd rather have access to unlimited space, I'm a horder who despises being forced to part with my stuff.  One of the few items I'd pay a fair monthly fee for as ESO does.

Should probably leave the trolling to the experts who live under the bridge I'm thinking.

I think it depends on how much you play, the more you play the more obvious certain issues are, and as you say, some things depend more on the type of game anyway. As for hoarding... In FFXIV its becoming a real problem, even with 2 extra sets of inventory space! Well its the same in WoW Classic too, i can barely afford to keep up with buying more bag slots in the bank. The only game i don't have a problem with in that way is Eve Online, of course the problem there is more a case of why did i leave all that stuff way out over there!  :p
    Kyleran
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    For me, the features that are required for me to enjoy a MMO are:

* Expansive skill trees with meaningful choices.

* Personal loot and resource nodes. Absolutely no need vs. greed.

* Shared mob tagging.

Features which I strongly desire:

* Group finder.

* Dynamic content.

* Quality Faction PvP.

Phry
  • XiaokiXiaoki Member EpicPosts: 3,852

Kyleran said:

Should probably leave the trolling... err provocative discussion points to the experts who live under the bridge I'm thinking.

Well, then it's a good thing that "virtual worlds" don't exist. Just video games.

The article said nothing about cash shop currencies. Try rereading it, or read for the first time.

Replies like this here is why you don't just skim the article for chapter titles and knee-jerk angry post.
    Kyleran