Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

A Little Late For LOTR Online, dont you think?

Lord of The Rings online. FINALLY. But if you think about it, Return of The King came out like almost 2 years ago. And a high % of the fans were all upsessed with the movies and didnt bother with the books. The movies are getting old and all the huge LOTR fans are getting bored of it. Also there is no PvP (for now) witch for some fricken reason everyone just HAAAAAS to kill other players. So unless this game will have something reeeeeally original about it, I doubt this MMORPG will get very far. I have seen the screenshots and the movie trailers, they both look really good but something original needs to be added. I also heard that there is some thing were when you log off your char keeps getting EXP..... ummmmmm..... that idea kinda makes no sense. It wouldent fit with the MMO line.....or any game. They need to use there title to make something original about it. Like in Star Wars Galaxies. You can join the Sith or the Jedi and they have light sabers and all that. LOTR online needs like rings or something, like if you complete a certain amount of quests by like the humans then they add +20 stats to your ring of power. Or mabye that idea wont work and it sucks lol. But the point is they need to come up with something to make this game work

Comments

• RemyVorenderRemyVorender Member RarePosts: 3,991

There are books about LOTR that came out decades ago, just thought i would let you know.  It's not just a movie trilogy....lol.

Joined - July 2004

• QwirkQwirk Member Posts: 136

ummmm,
    you did see this part of his post right?

And a high % of the fans were all upsessed[sic] with the movies and didnt[sic] bother with the books.

He may have a point.
    If they're expecting to ride on the success/popularity of the movies, they've let the delays pile up too much.

On the other hand, the Ring Saga is so ingrained in the average fantasy aficionado's psyche, along with the massive following the novels had long before the latest attempt at films, may be enough to keep it more than profitable.

My fear for the game is that because of the love so many have for the novels, and Middle-Earth through any medium, that no matter how derivative and second-rate this game is, it will still be profittable, and suck the life out of the saga for years to come.

I already have friends who are hopping excited about this game, without having seen any screens/movies/dev interviews. If this game is really horrid, but still eeks out a profit, it may ruin anyone's attempt to do a decent version.

But I've rambled enough.
    Suffice it to say I vote for 'something original' and quietly hope for the best.

• majochmajoch Member Posts: 599

Although I quit SWG right after the CU it appears they did a great job of luring new players in with their ad on G4TV which coincided with the release of the last Star Wars movie.  Now if LotR Online can come up with an innovative commercial like that it may do wonders.

• keltic1701keltic1701 Member Posts: 1,162

Originally posted by majoch

Although I quit SWG right after the CU it appears they did a great job of luring new players in with their ad on G4TV which coincided with the release of the last Star Wars movie.  Now if LotR Online can come up with an innovative commercial like that it may do wonders.

I don't see LotR Online having too much trouble getting people to play if it turns out to be faithful as a MMO can be to the source material. LotR has been around long enough that there is a large enough fanbase already established. If they build it right, they will come!! Of course a catchy ad wouldn't hurt either! lol
  • GreenleafGreenleaf Member Posts: 3

i dont think so. in my opinion, lotro can top the success of wow. Why? It’s the greatest novel of the time. read "the lords of the rings" and read the "world of warcraft" novels and you now what i mean. image

Turbine hat released very good games and the game has nothing to do with the movies. 2006 it’s a perfect time for release. <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

• LostintheWooLostintheWoo Member Posts: 11
    I think part of the problem is going to be that everyone is expecting something that they themselves have visualized via the movies or the books, and many will be disappointed because it will not meet their expectations.
  • darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Originally posted by LostintheWoo
    I think part of the problem is going to be that everyone is expecting something that they themselves have visualized via the movies or the books, and many will be disappointed because it will not meet their expectations.

This, in my opinion, is the main flaw with any licenced product made into an MMO.
  • RudnocRudnoc Member Posts: 208

My 2 cents:

I do somewhat agree with the OP and what others here say about peoples expectation being ruined by the movies.

However as "Lord of the Rings" title it holds, will eventually wear off and they will discover they are NOT in the LOTR theme, but in the same world that it happened in.

Most will discover they can play a role in this so called Middle Earth and venture out and see the world. If anything, it should attract players to read the books of LOTR and even "The Hobbit". Then back in the game they can go around pointing out historical areas and say wow, this is where Bilbo was almost cooked like stew and where Gandolf saved his butt. Or whoa, um (gulp)...ahhhh, anyone want to go into the dark underworld of the dwarven stronghold with me?

I really think LOTRO will present to us not only a awesome world for tolkien fans to grasp and experience what they read in the books, but it will attract new and younger blood that have the same yearning for a beautiful world to journey and discover. Heck, it may even get a lot of kids to read the books that would never have before. Which, in turn extending Tolkiens stories even further into the future.

Hopefully, Turbine will stay hard pressed to Tolkiens works and bring us a vibrant and breathtaking land that every medieval roleplayer at heart will daydream at work/school about his/her ventures in Middle Earth.  

I think Turbine will do a great job bringing us Middle Earth. However, I don't think it will be considered too late for this title, ever! Either you want to be part of Middle Earth or you don't. No hard feelings either way as I see it.

• RevolverManRevolverMan Member Posts: 13
    Well I Would Like To Try It First Maybe A Good Free Trial Would Work As For I Am Still In Love With LOTR (Is That Wrong For A Guy To Say?) A Sufficient 14 Day Trial Or More Could Entice Me To Come Back To The Shire Or Gondor To Beat Some Nazgul @zzimage
  • darquenbladedarquenblade Member Posts: 1,015

Originally posted by RevolverMan
    Well I Would Like To Try It First Maybe A Good Free Trial Would Work As For I Am Still In Love With LOTR (Is That Wrong For A Guy To Say?) A Sufficient 14 Day Trial Or More Could Entice Me To Come Back To The Shire Or Gondor To Beat Some Nazgul @zzimage

LOL

Um..any reason why you capitalized the first letter of every word in your post?

• Arno7577Arno7577 Member Posts: 25
    No matter how the game is going to come out: I love tha LOTR saga too much and I'll definetly give it a go when it is out!
  • TonelracTonelrac Member Posts: 6

Never too late for a LotR MMORPG.  This will hopefully bring the wonder of Middle Earth to even more people.  I am stoked at the idea of being able to immerse myself in the world I have been reading about for years. 

My only issue is that I hope the developers stay true to Tolkien's ideas.

• the_nacksterthe_nackster Member Posts: 23

If they make it right I will do this image if they screw it up I do thisimage But I truly hope they stay true to the books, and not the movies, and despite what many may say, most of the fans were fans long before the movie, I would have found the movie a bit difficult to follow had I not been reading the books for years.

• tantilltantill Member Posts: 2

it also depends if its based on the time of the books or if its earlier times like the first and second ages. Like juring the time when sauron built up the army and then every onw else pretty much tried to kill those bloody orcs.

• ArielAriel Member UncommonPosts: 33

They need to decide if they want to appeal to movie-only fans, or people who like the books.

Some lame PlayStation-like game is not going to cut it for people who have read LotR 2 or 3 times. I'd love to be immersed in Tolkien's Middle-Earth, but being absorbed some movie-style game? No thanks.

• PyritePyrite Member Posts: 309

Originally posted by 0zzy0sbourne Lord of The Rings online. FINALLY. But if you think about it, Return of The King came out like almost 2 years ago.
    I believe the book was published sometime in the 60's.
    And a high % of the fans were all "upsessed" with the movies and didnt bother with the books.
    You can't just start making up words.
    The movies are getting old and all the huge LOTR fans are getting bored of it.
    Once again, the LotR trilogy was published long before the movies were released and have had a huge fanbase ever since. There will always be rabid Middle Earth fans.
    Also there is no PvP (for now) "witch" for some fricken reason everyone just HAAAAAS to kill other players.
    Witch? Where? Burn the witch!! What do we burn apart from witches? More witches!! But seriously, i, along with many others are looking forward to no PvP.
    So unless this game will have something reeeeeally original about it, I doubt this MMORPG will get very far.
    Um, it's the first MMO set in the world of Middle Earth!
    I have seen the screenshots and the movie trailers, they both look really good but something original needs to be added. I also heard that there is some thing were when you log off your char keeps getting EXP..... ummmmmm..... that idea kinda makes no sense. It wouldent fit with the MMO line.....or any game.
    So you propose that when you log out your character is reset to level one or whatever noob status you start at? What, if any, MMO uses this method?
    They need to use there title to make something original about it. Like in Star Wars Galaxies. You can join the Sith or the Jedi and they have light sabers and all that. LOTR online needs like rings or something, like if you complete a certain amount of quests by like the humans then they add +20 stats to your ring of power.
    There is only one Ring of Power and at the point you enter the game Frodo will possess it. Even if you could obtain it have you learned nothing?! You CANNOT wield the ONE RING! No one can. It answers to Sauron alone. It has no other master.
    Or mabye that idea wont work and it sucks lol. But the point is they need to come up with something to make this game work
    Now if only there was a dev team currently working on this very concept.

The most important part of reading is reading between the lines.

• VissiejVissiej Member Posts: 1
    It simply depends if they just would add the enemy characters to it so you could really fight your friends in a devastating battle it surely would be great but only good guys can get boring in a while but still i have a good feeling about this one
  • GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657

Why is it when it is common knowledge that LOTRO is based off of the books and has nothing to do with the movie license there is always people who bring up the movies. They are not basing this game off of the movies read the Offical Forums.

The movies are so lacking in any real content or lore compared to the books it isn't even funny. Anyone who has read the books knows what i am talking about. Also read the dev diary's, the lore of the book is the center focus in everything they do. When they have a idea they check it against the lore to see if it will fit into tolkiens lore of middle earth. If it doesn't they try to adapt the idea to fit the lore not the lore to fit the idea. The reason this game is taking as long as it is is because they have a strict lore to follow and thousand of rabid tolkien fans who can destroy this game if it doesn't meet or stand up to the lore.

Think about it, if this game is sub par what do you honestly think the fans will do? I know I will go on every forum and express my disgust in how this game is nothing but a rip off if they did that and I am sure thousands of others will too. Nothing can kill a game faster than the fans. If we all hate a game we can thru the power of the written word in forums bring about it's end.

I do not think taking the time to develope this game right, making sure it fits the lore (not the movies) has made it too late for this game. There are so many people who are wanting to play this game, yes for the reason that it is middle earth and based on the books that we have all come to love and dream about over the years. Turbine already knows they have the fans to play this game, What they also realize is they need to produce a game these fans will want to play for a long time and that meens following the lore and sticking to what the fans already know about middle earth.

I believe they are doing this and we will all be happy (well each to there owne degree). I know they can't deliver the perfect rendition of middle earth only tolkien can do that. So there will be things about this game that will not please people and me too. I do not expect perfection cause noone can give us that . What i do expect is there best work.

imageimage

• Wolfpack75Wolfpack75 Member UncommonPosts: 43

I am hoping that it has been long enough since the movies came out that people won't associate it too closely with the Jackson Trilogy.

I know some people are only familiar with the movies and that is where they derive all of their knowledge of Middle Earth but I hope that they will delve a little deeper before dismissing the game. I actually had someone tell me they didn't like the books because they weren't correct....As they didn't follow the movies!!

It thrills me to see that the devs are going through the lore and piecing together the geography and history based on the original source material. It gives me hope that the game will be fun and exciting.

Oh and no PvP::::08:: thank you devs!

=dan

• GrindalyxGrindalyx Member UncommonPosts: 657

Originally posted by Wolfpack75

I actually had someone tell me they didn't like the books because they weren't correct....As they didn't follow the movies!!

=dan

Did you happen to mention to him that the books is what the movies were based off of?? That Tolkien wrote the books over 50 years ago and jackson didn't write the plot for the movie?

Some people should be shot I have never known anyone who thought a book should follow a movie considering that almost every movie made from a book is never the same. Your friend needs to have his head examined in my opinion.

imageimage