Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Astellia Review In Progress - Part 2

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageAstellia Review In Progress - Part 2

In last week’s Astellia Review in Progress, we touched on the first impressions of Astellia based on the gameplay of two different characters. With another week of playing behind us, the good and bad of Astellia has really begun to take shape. Has Barunson E&A Studio put in the work, and made the right moves to make this Korean game palatable to a western audience?

Read the full story here

Comments

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Full disclosure or not hardly anyone is covering this POS game. Metacritic doesn't even have it listed lol.
    doomexKrematory[Deleted User]Kylerancheebagastovski1bigdfhPhryMensurnycplayboy78
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• QuizzicalQuizzical Member LegendaryPosts: 25,351

Iselin said:

Full disclosure or not hardly anyone is covering this POS game. Metacritic doesn't even have it listed lol.

For a site that calls itself mmorpg.com, don't you think that it should review significant MMORPG launches? I'd argue that it should be a higher priority than a lot of the other games that this site covers that definitely aren't MMORPGs. Reviews that highlight quality games that are merely obscure are tremendously valuable, and they won't find out if a game is any good if they don't try it. Even if a game is terrible, a review that explains why the game is terrible also has considerable value.
    NanfoodleLastlaughlolNephethViper482RennisadoomexcheebaGroqstronggastovski1Kajidourdenand 9 others.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I like the red witch outfit.
    Tuor7

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Quizzical said:

Iselin said:

For a site that calls itself mmorpg.com, don't you think that it should review significant MMORPG launches? I'd argue that it should be a higher priority than a lot of the other games that this site covers that definitely aren't MMORPGs. Reviews that highlight quality games that are merely obscure are tremendously valuable, and they won't find out if a game is any good if they don't try it. Even if a game is terrible, a review that explains why the game is terrible also has considerable value.
    Still waiting for the why this MMO is terrible article. Do you even remember the last time an MMO here got an "it's terrible" review? Me neither.

It's not what is covered (although it's weird as hell that this title promoted by Bill's new company is getting a disproportionate amount of coverage here compared to anywhere else... but let's disregard that for the moment) but how it's covered that lends this site credibility or lack of it.

When every MMO is a 7+, none of hem are 7+.
    KyleranbigdfhPhryPurplePepeStrangeShay
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

Iselin said:
    Quizzical said:

Iselin said:

Still waiting for the why this MMO is terrible article. Do you even remember the last time an MMO here got an "it's terrible" review? Me neither.

It's not what is covered (although it's weird as hell that this title promoted by Bill's new company is getting a disproportionate amount of coverage here compared to anywhere else... but let's disregard that for the moment) but how it's covered that lends this site credibility or lack of it.

When every MMO is a 7+, none of hem are 7+.
    Here's a 4/10 for a game that was a major advertiser on this site at the time:

https://www.mmorpg.com/league-of-angels/reviews/the-ultimate-evolution-of-minmaxing-1000000300

Is that far enough away from 7+ for your taste?  From the same person writing this review, Bless got a 5.5, Warlords Awakening a 5.2, and Wild Terra a 4.5.  

https://www.mmorpg.com/bless-online/reviews/bless-online-launch-review-1000000512
    https://www.mmorpg.com/warlords-awakening/reviews/warlords-awakening-review-worth-waking-for-1000000515
    https://www.mmorpg.com/wild-terra/reviews/lackadaisical-wilderness-1000000502

In fact, an outright majority of the reviews he has posted on this site landed somewhere below a 6/10.  That sure doesn't strike me as saying that everything is a 7+.
    Lastlaughlol[Deleted User]Panther2103Kylerancheebagastovski1perrin82wingoodSovrathsschruppand 3 others.
  • lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 556
    Keep in mind too Metacritic doesn't dictate our coverage. It's an MMO that people will spend money on, so we need to do our jobs and cover it as we can. We should have the full scored review next week, Steven has been playing basically nothing but Astellia since launch. 

Cheers all
    AmatheLastlaughlolViper482Tuor7doomexMikehaKylerangastovski1TacticalZombehnycplayboy78and 3 others.
  • mussolinimussolini Member UncommonPosts: 200
    From zero to max level is too easy. Get gears too easy. Endgame poor, almost nothing. Goldsellers showed up. Bots showed up. Game has potencial, not bad actually what is surprised me as I tought thats will be bad as other asian garbage. So not bad I'll keep playing it but they have to make big updates every week keep the population. 5/10
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    I have heard nothing but mixed reviews mostly bad about this game. If your having fun just keep playing and enjoy it. I'M having a blast playing Eternal Magic and everyone hear hates the game but i don't care.
    Jensyn
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    edited October 2019
    I think it deserves reviews....just bad ones.
    Post edited by Viper482 on
    doomexgastovski1bigdfhPurplePepeTEKK3NTacticalZombeh13lake
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    DMKano said:

Quizzical said:

For a site that calls itself mmorpg.com, don't you think that it should review significant MMORPG launches?
    Yep, however Astellia is not significant imo  

Is there some other, more significant MMORPG launch this month that the site is ignoring?  If not, then what is the problem?

This site does the best MMORPG reviews of any site I've found, so I wouldn't want them to only review one game per year and that's it.  Importantly, they play the game for quite a bit before posting the final review, rather than rushing to post some first impressions of the launch day from someone who has no idea what he's talking about.
    [Deleted User]doomexMikehasinned357Samhaelcheebagastovski1SovrathbigdfhTacticalZombehand 5 others.
  • Tuor7Tuor7 Member RarePosts: 982
    If you don't think it should be reviewed, then don't read the review. But don't assume that *no one* wants to read one just because you don't.
    QuizzicalNasaAmatheMikehamussolinicheebaGroqstronggastovski1Phryjohn25301and 3 others.
  • MikehaMikeha Member EpicPosts: 9,196
    I am looking foward to the review. :) 
    Jensyn
  • chilltime99chilltime99 Member UncommonPosts: 55
    Quizzical is on fiya.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    edited October 2019
    lotrlore said: 
    Steven has been playing basically nothing but Astellia since launch. 

Cheers all
    Oh my, why would you do such a cruel thing to him?  :#  :'(

Must have been really, really bad or something.

:D 

SamhaelCryomatrix

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• NildenNilden Member EpicPosts: 3,916
    The only reason I clicked on this was to see DMKano trash talk it.

Reviews here are irrelevant to me for 3 reasons:

1. Video reviews on youtube are far above what the written word can convey
    2. The site is running Advertisements for the game it's reviewing
    3. This site gave Fallout 76 a 7/10

Anyway DMKano delivered. :)
    [Deleted User]doomexPhryPurplePepe

"You CAN'T buy ships for RL money." - MaxBacon

"classification of games into MMOs is not by rational reasoning" - nariusseldon

Love Minecraft. And check out my Youtube channel OhCanadaGamer

Try a MUD today at http://www.mudconnect.com/ 

• NeoyoshiNeoyoshi Member RarePosts: 1,130
    edited October 2019
    It's a 3/10 at best.

Perhaps in a year they'll shut it down due to it's next breakout hit: "Astellia Unchained"
    Post edited by Neoyoshi on
    PurplePepe

Fishing on Gilgamesh since 2013
  • doomexdoomex Member UncommonPosts: 150
    edited October 2019
    Well, i will give Astellia a 6/10 because they know how to bait people into purchasing a mediocre b2p product. Game is not that bad but not good either. There are far more better games for that price. Now GuildWars2 is 30$ with both expansions.
    The devs are good bunch tho. They tried to change a p2w game into b2p without p2w elements. It's challenging because the game is bland one also.
    So if you like the game and like to spend money on every game that appears no matter how bad is it. Go for it.
    Phry
    Nilden said:
    The only reason I clicked on this was to see DMKano trash talk it.

Reviews here are irrelevant to me for 3 reasons:

1. Video reviews on youtube are far above what the written word can convey
    2. The site is running Advertisements for the game it's reviewing
    3. This site gave Fallout 76 a 7/10

Anyway DMKano delivered. :)
    I strongly disagree with point 1.  Videos take much longer to watch than a written review takes to read, and it's often difficult to understand what's going on in the game on the screen anyway.

On point (2), see my example above.  This site gave League of Angels a 4/10 while it was running a ton of ads on this site.  Running ads here doesn't buy you a positive review.  Making a game that the reviewer really likes does, however.
    Scotgunklacker
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    Not much positive about the game from what i've seen from recent youtube video's the graphics are 'okay' but the gameplay, not so much, the astels seem to be more of an annoying necessity that you have to use and what few classes there are to choose from are gender locked. Game definitely is not on my radar, not sure what demographic the game is made for, only that i am not in it.  :/
    doomex
  • PurplePepePurplePepe Member UncommonPosts: 122
    I’ve seen enough to know that Astellia isn’t for me. If people like it then good for them.

The game review process is always subjective down to the final number grade given. I personally give more weight to the pros and cons and I check several different sources if I’m on the fence about a product. MMORPG.com seems to do a good job with reviews in progress to give a reviewer enough time to access end game content.
  • doomexdoomex Member UncommonPosts: 150
    edited October 2019

DMKano said:

doomex said:

Well, i will give Astellia a 6/10 because they know how to bait people into purchasing a mediocre b2p product. Game is not that bad but not good either. 

They dont even know how to bait people IMO - as they sold so few copies - seems like nobody knows nor cares about this game.

Maybe the few that were interested tried the beta and did a hard pass

Oh i don't know how many copies they sold. But from what i read the server is crowded sometimes. So there are some pe...ahem "bots" that sub to the game. Bots alone will make the game survive lol. Oh good ol silkroad. They sold at least 1k copies. The forum alone got 5k users so some of them must have the game brought or sub. And we know not many people register to forums. But I may be wrong who knows.
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363

lotrlore said:

Keep in mind too Metacritic doesn't dictate our coverage. It's an MMO that people will spend money on, so we need to do our jobs and cover it as we can. We should have the full scored review next week, Steven has been playing basically nothing but Astellia since launch. 

Cheers all

feel sorry for Steven
    doomex
  • LonzoLonzo Member UncommonPosts: 294
    Looks like a plate full of Play-Doh.... ugly as f....

• ashianatigerlilyashianatigerlily Newbie CommonPosts: 3
    edited October 2019

lotrlore said:

Cheers all

I think this staff member hit on the actual issue here, 'an MMO that people will spend money on'. The games that get heavily covered are paying for advertising and are typically Pay to Win/whale.

This game is a bit of a slog run in the beginning, but there's a limit to what people can spend real $ on in the cash shop. Barunson has done a great job of reducing the 'whale to win' aspect, there is some pay to convenience, but this could be seen as a monthly subscription fee.

Yes, the Public Relations company has done an absolutely disastrous job of advertising this game - as though they want it to fail - when in fact it's a decent game that IS exceptionally complex with all of the leveling/maximizing of different aspects (astels, gear, sub-classes, stats, etc.). I am NOT a theory crafter and get help from my guildies as much as possible, so yes I find all of the complexity a bit overmuch, but I'm still enjoying the game and really enjoying the gaming community.

Sure GW2 is a major title, but as with most older MMORPG's, you needed to be there in the beginning or near about to feel that 'excitement'. My partner and I bought Astellia because it's new energy, it's not P2W, and people are getting onto voice chat to enjoy the game together and form fun gaming communities. We tried getting into FFIV, EQ, and many others, but that excitement has long since disappeared and voice comms are hardly used for guilds, and new players are shunned, even GW2 - which I personally like :-)

Although I doubt this tile will last a decade or even 5 years, I bought it because there's nothing new in the MMORPG genre (been waiting for Pantheon:Rise of the Fallen, whenever that actually comes out) and have been pleasantly surprised. It has the great Korean graphics, is not open world pvp (they have separate maps for that), and players are getting together to figure out what's working best as it doesn't have the plethora of information that older titles have available.

As for spending/buying the game, I worked out the $10/month option: 2 hours a day = $0.17 per hour of entertainment. $30 for the game instead: depends on how much you play, but 3 months playing would equal the same as the $10 option and you can keep playing and NOT whaling in perpetuity. That's 17 cents per hour for entertainment and you get a vibrant community on discord where you can laugh and socialize, if you pick a good guild.

Sorry for the long rant, but I'm sad that people are judging on so few factors, when it's a much needed outlet on a broader scale.

BodeanG
  • CynehildCynehild Member UncommonPosts: 102
    MMORPG.com comments section never fails to be the most negative. On any games. I've actually never came across a game where MMORPG.com comments section doesn't rip apart (even WoW, MH:W, and Borderlands 3) that I'm seriously wondering if you guys like any games at all.
    [Deleted User]doomex