Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Destiny 2: Shadowkeep First Impressions: Familiar Haunts - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited October 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageDestiny 2: Shadowkeep First Impressions: Familiar Haunts - MMORPG.com

Destiny 2: Shadowkeep went live this week in true MMO fashion - with an influx of new, existing, and returning players, all causing server stability issues! But a few hours into the launch, Bungie’s team of crack commandos had things stabilized and we got about the business of discover what, exactly, is haunting the moon! Within this article, we will be giving you our first impression of Bungie’s action MMO shooter.

Read the full story here

Comments

• BadSpockBadSpock Member UncommonPosts: 7,979
    Agree completely.

The story is good, won't spoil anything but 5 years in the making finally has some payoff.

However it typical Destiny fashion, it's not cut and dry, the story "ends" but obvious it will continue throughout the season/year as more content is released. Much more is to be revealed.

The moon is great. I loved the moon in D1 and having it back in D2 is just awesome. Hive are also my favorite baddies to slay. It's familiar enough to navigate by memory but new enough to have exciting things to find and discover, and a lot of joy in revisiting old, now changes places and faces.

Going back to the Cosmodrome is super nostalgic too. I hope this trend continues and more and more areas from D1 get added back in. I'd love to go back to Venus!

The shooting/combat mechanics in Destiny are still second to none. The guys who made Halo certainly continue to prove why they are the best at FPS mechanics/design.

What they get so right is that feeling of just... total empowerment. Sure the shooting is solid and satisfying, guns sound and feel powerful, but all of the class abilities and supers just have such a satisfying execution... I play as Titan and the Striker Way of the Missile is just the most satisfying and badass way to wipe a room full of mobs.

The new Finishers mechanic is fun and can really help finish off a weakened Elite with an entertaining and satisfying smash/kick/etc.

Seems to be a LOT of activities to do daily/weekly to keep your power growing even for a single player guy like myself. Enough is matchmade to experience most of the content. I still wish they had an "easy mode" raid that had matchmaking enabled like LFR in WoW, but maybe one day.

I raided hardcore everything in D1 and the first tier of D2, in some ways I do miss it but it's more missing the joy of gaming for hours with 5 of my close buddies.

I like the season pass, great for keeping up on things like crafting mats without having to resort to old school farming, and gives some nice cosmetics as well.

Really like the direction D2 is going. Breaking from Activision seems to be taking Bungie and Destiny back on track.

They always said they have a 10 year plan for Destiny. Now that we're at the mid point, yeah there have been some really rough patches but I'm excited for the future of this franchise.
    elockeMaddog666
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Are quality life improvements game-wide or only in new expansion?
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    edited October 2019
    Uninstalled after few hours, just like Bnet version. Way too many half-baked functions. Like - why on Earth would I want to level up the equipment again while disassembling "purple" and better drops because they become outdated / obsolete immediately within the mission after higher level "blue" drops?

Also the whole FPS "wheelchair combat simulator" gameplay is boring. Especially after some "genius" added jump puzzles everywhere and I had to resurrect people falling through cracks in surfaces. It's like the whole game is experiencing a major identity crisis: FPS with jump puzzles from third-peson-view games, F2P with typical time sinks from subscription/B2P titles, third-person view in player hubs - with characters so ugly that everyone is running with their helmets on.

Hopefully, D3 will be better than this. And/or D2 will become an actually fun game after 2025 (and I;m being generous here considering how slow its gameplay is evolving).

TL;DR you should check it, never trust opinions of other gamers.
    BadSpockjason523Maddog666

Thank you for your time!

• alaadaralaadar Member UncommonPosts: 29
    Ive been playing WoW for years and after every new expansion I replace my shiny purples with dull greens in the first area. Almost every mmo Ive played does that.
    BadSpockTacticalZombehMaddog666
  • TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297

Viper482 said:

Are quality life improvements game-wide or only in new expansion?

Game-wide
    Viper482Maddog666
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,766
    3dom said:
    Uninstalled after few hours, just like Bnet version. Way too many half-baked functions. Like - why on Earth would I want to level up the equipment again while disassembling "purple" and better drops because they become outdated / obsolete immediately within the mission after higher level "blue" drops?

Also the whole FPS "wheelchair combat simulator" gameplay is boring. Especially after some "genius" added jump puzzles everywhere and I had to resurrect people falling through cracks in surfaces. It's like the whole game is experiencing a major identity crisis: FPS with jump puzzles from third-peson-view games, F2P with typical time sinks from subscription/B2P titles, third-person view in player hubs - with characters so ugly that everyone is running with their helmets on.

Hopefully, D3 will be better than this. And/or D2 will become an actually fun game after 2025 (and I;m being generous here considering how slow its gameplay is evolving).

TL;DR you should check it, never trust opinions of other gamers.
    You don't have to get new equipment again. Use the equipment you want to and just use the new equipment you get to level the ones you like. Also how is this a bad thing. You don't want to level up anymore? So you want a game that has entirely focused on vertical progression to all of a sudden change up the way it works? 

Jump puzzles have been in Destiny since the first one, half the raids had them. They have always had third person in hubs. 

Have you not played a Destiny game before this? You can't go in expecting the game to drastically change how it works, when the people who play it like how it works. 
    BadSpockLecram6468RoinTacticalZombehMaddog666
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,363
    edited October 2019
    nothing wrong with jump puzzles on 3rd person , however on 1 person ugh.........plus u can always roll a hunter , triple jump ftw!
    Viper482Maddog666