Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

ArcheAge Unchained PTS Open To Founders Players Today

13»

Comments

• ScorchienScorchien Member LegendaryPosts: 8,914
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Even if this turn out to be 100% legit and they never put anything op in the cash shop, I already paid $150 for this game and will not pay again.
    So did I and many others .. But you paid Trion that 150 , and they failed to deliver along with there bait and switch ..

Trion is who you should be angry with ..

Im just glad that Gamigo purchased there IPs and is keeping them up and running , Thats great news for the communites of all those games ..

That being said i certainly feel that i got my 150 worth out of the AA launch as did play heavily for 2 years .. thats 75$ a year .. hmm thats less than .25 +/- a day .. yea so ...

Now Gamigo has a chance to deliver what most AA players wanted from day 1 .. for the low entry fee , il give them a chance ..

Looking forward to the launch

You actually believe the fault lies with Trion and not XL? Last time I looked the version of AA published by XL is the most P2W of them all.
    The fault is certainly equal ...  But Trion was the face in the West .. the layed down with XL and let them put a ring in there nose ..

Gamigo seems to have XL blessing (ATM) to try a sub server with cosmetic Cash shop , something Trion could never manage
    The couldn't quite get the "blessing" to do it right by removing the P2W shit from the Archeage that already exists though could they?

It's a fucking insult to their existing player base that they need to pay again to get what they could easily fix without the unchained horseshit re-brand.

So who're we going to blame for this one, Gamigo or XL? :)
    Sorry Iselin , impossible to just remove the P2W from the  current servers ...

so this falls flat
    Linifcheeba
  • IselinIselin Member LegendaryPosts: 18,719
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Even if this turn out to be 100% legit and they never put anything op in the cash shop, I already paid $150 for this game and will not pay again.
    So did I and many others .. But you paid Trion that 150 , and they failed to deliver along with there bait and switch ..

Im just glad that Gamigo purchased there IPs and is keeping them up and running , Thats great news for the communites of all those games ..

That being said i certainly feel that i got my 150 worth out of the AA launch as did play heavily for 2 years .. thats 75$ a year .. hmm thats less than .25 +/- a day .. yea so ...

Now Gamigo has a chance to deliver what most AA players wanted from day 1 .. for the low entry fee , il give them a chance ..

You actually believe the fault lies with Trion and not XL? Last time I looked the version of AA published by XL is the most P2W of them all.
    The fault is certainly equal ...  But Trion was the face in the West .. the layed down with XL and let them put a ring in there nose ..

Gamigo seems to have XL blessing (ATM) to try a sub server with cosmetic Cash shop , something Trion could never manage
    The couldn't quite get the "blessing" to do it right by removing the P2W shit from the Archeage that already exists though could they?

It's a fucking insult to their existing player base that they need to pay again to get what they could easily fix without the unchained horseshit re-brand.

so this falls flat
    I've heard that excuse before but I'm still waiting to hear why it's impossible.
    "Social media gives legions of idiots the right to speak when they once only spoke at a bar after a glass of wine, without harming the community ... but now they have the same right to speak as a Nobel Prize winner. It's the invasion of the idiots”

― Umberto Eco

“Microtransactions? In a single player role-playing game? Are you nuts?” 
    ― CD PROJEKT RED

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited October 2019
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:
    Iselin said:
    Scorchien said:

so this falls flat
    I've heard that excuse before but I'm still waiting to hear why it's impossible.
    How would they be able to extract money from whales if they did? That's the real reason why they 'can't'.

Lets not pretend these 'fresh start' servers actually hurt the whales in the process because it honestly works more in their favor. The average person who knows even a little about this game know that its an alt-man's game. The more alts, the better. Previous fresh starts have just served as alt-fodder for people to get expensive stuff at 1/10 the price with the only real price being a temporary time gate.
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Rhoklaw said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    Bloodaxes said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    I bought Unchained because of new business model, not because they bound/remove/nerf all ArcheAge item database. People always complain because they can't win the game. I've got no choice but to play this game with noobs lul
    Again, would you hire a pedophile to babysit your kids just because he say's he isn't a pedophile anymore? People think businesses don't lie or are incapable of lying, lol.
    Jesus.... Now THAT's an extreme comparison.
    Yeah well, sometimes you have to get blunt as hell for people to understand the level of stupidity we are witnessing.
    You say stupidity, I say people not having games to play. The price isn't that high to give it a try, you're not losing much.

Comparing playing a game to getting raped IS extreme, and defending that notion is extremely stupid.
    How about you keep your head in the sand my friend. A metaphor is meant to grab attention, which apparently it did. The fact you are more concerned about a metaphor than admitting what I said is accurate, is a much more severe sign of stupidity.
    Hmm let's see: Losing some petty change ($25.99) vs Getting Raped and be scarred for life.

Nice analogy mate! But keep on going how that metaphor of yours is accurate to a video game scenario.

Ps. I haven't preordered any of the packages nor intend to try it at launch.

• gervaise1gervaise1 Member EpicPosts: 6,919
    DMKano said:
    Rhoklaw said:
    DMKano said:
    yonpachi said:
    They delayed the name reservation again after delay of the delayed delay. Not just one day or two, but whole week.

Expect more stuff like this to come.

This is just a tip of the iceberg. 

Gamigo is extremely incompetent due to lacking staff that knows how to run online games that are not dinky mobile crap that can run in the cloud. 

They tried to move ArcheAge to cloud (as that's the only thing they know how to manage because its hands off on the server end) and they failed spectacularly multiple times.

So they are forced to do something they are not good at- which is host ArcheAge on physical servers themselves. 

This will be Gamigos undoing- lack of ability to host ArcheAge effectively 
    Do you happen to know how much Gamigo bought Trion for?

I was told less than 10mil - dont know the exact figure.

Trion was valued at over 400mil at the time.

Cents on the dollar.

Most of the cost was to cover a portion of Trions debt- so not like that money went into Trion, it didnt, so they bought the debt to allow Trion assets to operate while they bought new offices and moved out the datacenter to cloud (not all of it was successful)

Was basically a last minute ditch effort to save them from shutting the doors down.

Gamigos entire effort was to acquire ArcheAge publishing rights - they realized that was worth the few million they spent as they knew they could make a lot more off that.

This is why they have not rehired and invested into Trions other games - they dont see any of them as worth investing into - just put them in maint mode and let them die, which is exactly what has happened. 

Wouldn't be surprised.

Technically of course they acquired (the majority of) Trion's assets via an "Assignment for the Benefit of the creditors". So the purchase price was a % of the debt that Trion owed.

Certainly made me wonder about Trion's "acquisition" of Gazillion at the end of 2017 after Disney pulled the Marvel licence. 

Were Trion "financially healthy" or was it an attempt to "shore things up". The start of a shift towards the same strategy as Gamigo: host many games using central services, minimal staff etc The similarities are there: Trion "acquired" Gazillion at the last minute and then laid off all the Gazillion staff. If it was to "shore things up" then maybe the company valuation was "less".
  • WarlyxWarlyx Member EpicPosts: 3,364
    ppl can do w/e they want with they $$$ but i feel like if ppl cave in , were are just perpetuating (sp?) the mmo-scam ...how many times AA has been "reborn" ? ppl payed 150$ back then lol 

gunklackerLinif[Deleted User]
    Warlyx said:
    ppl can do w/e they want with they $$$ but i feel like if ppl cave in , were are just perpetuating (sp?) the mmo-scam ...how many times AA has been "reborn" ? ppl payed 150$ back then lol 

People who bought AA can carry on playing the version of AA that they bought; legally Gamigo probably don't need to do this. 

Would you feel the same way about a more obviously physical product, a car say?

Manufacturer X has brought out a version with a custom paint job, fancy wheel trim, different seat designs ..... and they want me to pay for it! Sheesh I bought their car - its sitting on my drive - and they expect me to pay again for that new model. I should get it for free yes?

Ah you might say software is different; easy to make a new copy? Someone who bought Windows 3.0 on floppy disks back in the stone age should be entitled to get a free copy of the latest Windows 10 yes?

The question you are really asking - I suggest - is what rights do consumers have when a company goes bankrupt.

Perhaps more pressingly: what rights / protections do people have when they purchase "online" assets? Which presupposes that consumers have rights period - since things vary country by country.

Viper482
  • LinifLinif Member UncommonPosts: 338
    I'm sort of looking forward to this. Though after Fallout 76 I've adopted the "Watch and see" approach and been sticking to it religiously.

I like ArcheAge, it ticked a lot of the right boxes for me, but at the current asking price, it's not something I can jump in to blindly (People here calling its price "cheap" or "change" really makes me wonder what you all do for a living, lol). I'm looking forward to seeing media on it to get a better idea of what effect the "No-longer p2w" elements really have on it.

I'd say it's questionable that they're reselling it. I've come to my own conclusion that it needs to be b2p because they're re-monetizing it. They want more money, they give the players what they want. The players want this particular style of AA, they pay the money. Yes, it's an easy conclusion to come to.

Are the changes enough to warrant calling this version a new ArcheAge? From my limited experience of AA, I would say yes.

Seems fine to me.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,508
    gervaise1 said:
    Warlyx said:

People who bought AA can carry on playing the version of AA that they bought; legally Gamigo probably don't need to do this. 

Manufacturer X has brought out a version with a custom paint job, fancy wheel trim, different seat designs ..... and they want me to pay for it! Sheesh I bought their car - its sitting on my drive - and they expect me to pay again for that new model. I should get it for free yes?

Ah you might say software is different; easy to make a new copy? Someone who bought Windows 3.0 on floppy disks back in the stone age should be entitled to get a free copy of the latest Windows 10 yes?

The question you are really asking - I suggest - is what rights do consumers have when a company goes bankrupt.

Perhaps more pressingly: what rights / protections do people have when they purchase "online" assets? Which presupposes that consumers have rights period - since things vary country by country.

Since you went with physical goods, let's look at the "Ginsu" knife. 

One of the first TV marketed products, along with vendors at home shows or what not, they would show this knife easily cutting through any sort of food, and even steel soda cans. (No aluminum back then)

My mother bought one and found it didn't work any where near advertised, not even when we tried cutting a soda can.

A bit later she ran across a vendor displaying this amazing knife which again was cutting through bowling balls or whatever right in front of everyone watching.

She interrupted his presentation, and asked to buy the knife. The actual one in his hand, not the ones in the boxes behind him.

Despite her offering to pay triple the normal price he would not sell her the one he was using for the demo.

Yeah, everyone walked away from that demo as it was clear what they were promoting wasn't what customers were being given.

Same thing with ArcheAge, NA alpha  backers were shown a fun and amazing game and virtual world to play in, but were delivered a similar looking but very under performing product instead.

So just like my Mom (were she still alive) is waiting on her "amazing knife", AA Alpha backers are waiting for XLGames to deliver on what they originally sold.

As for Trions insolvency issue,  they never went bankrupt, Gamingo bought them assuming all debts and obligations  including making right by Trion's / XLGames previous and current customers. 

The only consumer "rights" question here is should companies do "right" by their customers even when not legally bound to.

Good companies take the high road, bad companies fleece their customers if and when they can.

Guess where Gamingo and XLGames stand in my book?

Viper482[Deleted User]

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    edited October 2019
     gervaise1 said:
    Warlyx said:

They didn’t make a new game. Incompatible comparison. 

I don’t care what you think of it I paid good money plus subscription fees. If they want me back they let me in for free or I’ll keep playing other games. 
    Viper482
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    edited October 2019
    gervaise1 said:
    Warlyx said:

Your analogy fails. You conveniently left out the fact that the car was not what was promised and I was lured into buying it with a bait and switch. The car manufacturer acknowledged this by creating a new version of the car which is exactly what was promised in the first place when I bought the original. Instead of fixing the car I already bought they offer to sell me the new version which is exactly what I ordered the first time when they failed to deliver. 

This is a more accurate analogy, but of course it does not fit your narrative. 

ArcheAge is not an upgraded version of the game, it is them finally acknowledging they screwed up with p2w and are making it the way it should have been all along. I paid $150 for ArcheAge Unchained already and they gave me something else, it just had a different name back then. If they offered it to me for free since I was an original founder I would have absolutely installed and played it. But to actually make me buy it again? Are you kidding me?
    Iselin
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    Kyleran said:
    gervaise1 said:
    Warlyx said:

Since you went with physical goods, let's look at the "Ginsu" knife. 

One of the first TV marketed products, along with vendors at home shows or what not, they would show this knife easily cutting through any sort of food, and even steel soda cans. (No aluminum back then)

My mother bought one and found it didn't work any where near advertised, not even when we tried cutting a soda can.

A bit later she ran across a vendor displaying this amazing knife which again was cutting through bowling balls or whatever right in front of everyone watching.

She interrupted his presentation, and asked to buy the knife. The actual one in his hand, not the ones in the boxes behind him.

Despite her offering to pay triple the normal price he would not sell her the one he was using for the demo.

Yeah, everyone walked away from that demo as it was clear what they were promoting wasn't what customers were being given.

Same thing with ArcheAge, NA alpha  backers were shown a fun and amazing game and virtual world to play in, but were delivered a similar looking but very under performing product instead.

So just like my Mom (were she still alive) is waiting on her "amazing knife", AA Alpha backers are waiting for XLGames to deliver on what they originally sold.

As for Trions insolvency issue,  they never went bankrupt, Gamingo bought them assuming all debts and obligations  including making right by Trion's / XLGames previous and current customers. 

The only consumer "rights" question here is should companies do "right" by their customers even when not legally bound to.

Good companies take the high road, bad companies fleece their customers if and when they can.

Guess where Gamingo and XLGames stand in my book?

For sure.

The reason I say that I don't believe that Gamigo has to continue running the original AA though is that they didn't "buy" Trion - and if they had they would most certainly have assumed the obligations - they were "assigned" the assets that they wanted to take in return for agreeing to pay the folks that Tion owed money to.

As you say - in some countries especially - it really does come down to should companies do "right".

And its not just games either of course - store gift cards for example have been "fleeced" when stores declare bankruptcy - yet people still buy them. Don't us the answer.
  • SlyLoKSlyLoK Member RarePosts: 2,698
    Had I actually known the game has launched for founders I would have bought today while I had access to fast internet.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    So wait, some of you actually believe Archeage Unchained is XL Games and Gameigo (by way of Trino) acknowledging the error of P2W after 3 previous "fresh starts".

If that was the case, they would have announced Archeage Unchained as subscription only, 1 character per account, and outlined where the normally P2W items would be available in-game (like the gliders and pets that boost stats or grant invincibility).

Make no mistake this is ANOTHER cash grab/bait. They will make an attempt at adding "convenience" to the store and folks will be back here making excuses again.

Whether it be pajamas to replenish labor, a special farm wagon upgrade to help trade runs, or something else. They'll wait until it's quiet and go for it.

Now, I don't believe in absolutes. SURE they could NOT do those things but a human with common sense and the ability to place smart bets wouldn't bet on that.
    Kyleran[Deleted User]
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯