Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New star citizen video details Alpha 3.7, mission sharing and ship rentals - MMORPG.com

2»

Comments

• CazrielCazriel Member RarePosts: 419
    I'm not going to throw dirt at SC. It's not my game; I'm not invested; I don't care if it's ever released.

But it is a great popcorn thriller.
  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,197
    While I don't like SC management much, they've always stressed that the game would push the envelope on available hardware.  Can't hold that against them; actually it's a plus in my book.  
    You make that sound as if it's some accomplishment.
    It's easier to make a game and not have to bother about it running on current hardware than it is optimizing the game properly to run well on current/old hardware.

I have an up to date system that can run new games appropriately but I appreciate the devs who actually give a damn and try and optimize their game instead of the devs that tell you "yeah no, we're not going to optimize for peasants, buy another GPU".

Phrynewbismx

..Cake..

• IceAgeIceAge Member EpicPosts: 3,118
    edited September 2019

JoeBlober said:

Meanwhile SQ42 Beta is in 4 quarters. 2020 not 2050 :)

Yup! Is not like they said this already in the past. "Hey! SQ42 Beta Next Year". 5 years later "Hey! SQ42 Beta Next Year".

True, they didn't said ...which "Next Year", lol.
    NorseGod

Reporter: What's behind Blizzard success, and how do you make your gamers happy?
    Blizzard Boss: Making gamers happy is not my concern, making money.. yes!

• rodarinrodarin Member EpicPosts: 2,611
    JoeBlober said:

aivarioha said:

I played this game during free fly event. It's a controversial project. The only way I am getting it is if I win a giveaway and get in for free. I would feel bad personally supporting it seeing as it's basically one big scam going on for years and barely holding on promises.

Worst scam ever... +500 devs working har to delvier quarterly patch, SQ42 beta in 4quarters. Your scam definition is factually wrong :)
    at best its a cottage industry to give those guys paychecks and allow Roberts and his upper echelon cronies to live a rock star lifestyle. its a scam in terms of what it has delivered for the amount of money it has received. If people had stopped funding it it would have disappeared a long time ago. Every critic under estimated the (growing) stupidity of people who were willing to keep giving these guys money.

it will all come ot an end when SQ 42 fails to deliver. That is now the end all be all and where they have secured the most funds recently. Once that gets delayed and delayed and delayed then we will see this farce finally stop. But then again cant under estimate stupidity there either. I am not sure the specifics but I assume there has ot be some sort of hard date involved in which SQ 42 MUST be delivered in some sort of retail worthy condition.
  • JoeBloberJoeBlober Member RarePosts: 585

Haki88 said:

Am actually very happy, i pledged, after few months i got full refund :)

ps: Fck this game!

Yes like the fake video refund of 17K$ flagged as "true" by the little an infamous SC naysayer? Lol

+30M$ on average every single years, despite all "drama" and "refund story". More new backers at every quarterly patch... more pledges :)
  • TheJodaTheJoda Member UncommonPosts: 605
    I mean the game looks great, so in a "few" years it will be fun to play right?

....Being Banned from MMORPG's forums since 2010, for Trolling the Trolls!!!

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    sgel said:
    While I don't like SC management much, they've always stressed that the game would push the envelope on available hardware.  Can't hold that against them; actually it's a plus in my book.  
    It's easier to make a game and not have to bother about it running on current hardware than it is optimizing the game properly to run well on current/old hardware.

I have an up to date system that can run new games appropriately but I appreciate the devs who actually give a damn and try and optimize their game instead of the devs that tell you "yeah no, we're not going to optimize for peasants, buy another GPU".

Reminds me of EQ2, when it was released you needed a pretty beefy rig to run it well, by the time hardware had caught up, the game had pretty much disappeared into obscurity. :/
  • rawfoxrawfox Member UncommonPosts: 788
    Well, i bought my Aurora starterpack for ~35€ anno 2014 and im really sorry, but the "not-a-game-yet" game is really fun to me^^

I love seeing things coming together over the years and i guess its at least 2, more likely 3 years to go for something called a beta.

The people who are following the development, are aware about what happens inside, the transistion to Vulkan, the inhouse software, the 100+ open positions because everyone and their mother knows it all better, but magically nobody applies to CIG to help them getting it done.

Smartasses are the cancer of open development.
    To me, CIG delivers, they listen to the com and yeah, this shit is taking tons of time, sometimes development suxx big arse, but that is, how it goes if you wanna invent something new.

Its working superb on Linux with wine.

I freaking love this gameidea ^^
    We should not condamn them for taking the time to make something right, especially on this huge development scale its a real challenge.

The last 5 years have been an incredible raid with StarCitizen, cant wait for the times beond the wipes :)
    Babuinix
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,125
    edited September 2019
    rawfox said:
    Well, i bought my Aurora starterpack for ~35€ anno 2014 and im really sorry, but the "not-a-game-yet" game is really fun to me^^

I love seeing things coming together over the years and i guess its at least 2, more likely 3 years to go for something called a beta.

The people who are following the development, are aware about what happens inside, the transistion to Vulkan, the inhouse software, the 100+ open positions because everyone and their mother knows it all better, but magically nobody applies to CIG to help them getting it done.

Smartasses are the cancer of open development.
    To me, CIG delivers, they listen to the com and yeah, this shit is taking tons of time, sometimes development suxx big arse, but that is, how it goes if you wanna invent something new.

Its working superb on Linux with wine.

I freaking love this gameidea ^^
    We should not condamn them for taking the time to make something right, especially on this huge development scale its a real challenge.

The last 5 years have been an incredible raid with StarCitizen, cant wait for the times beond the wipes :)
    Of course Babuinix found your confusing ramble  "insightful" which pretty much answers all questions I had about the people who support this "gameidea " as you called it.

Babuinixnewbismx
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

• newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    The whole "pushing the hardware limits" is all fine and good if we're talking about pushing the limits of what hardware was available at the "estimated" time of release- Theres no way that back in 2012 the plan was to push 2020 hardware to the limit...

Granted, things evolved- However they have evolved way past the point of sanity in terms of scope, hardware requirements, feature creep and time.

At "release" (whatever that ends up being) its not going to look as good as modern games but still might be pushing those hardware limits because they are still playing catch-up with having to update their game to remain 'modern' and we're not even close to release yet.
  • newbismxnewbismx Member UncommonPosts: 276
    Phry said:
    sgel said:

Reminds me of EQ2, when it was released you needed a pretty beefy rig to run it well, by the time hardware had caught up, the game had pretty much disappeared into obscurity. :/
    Thats an interesting analogy- With Eq2 (if my memory serves me correct) they were banking on really fast single core hardware and the entire industry shifted to dual/multi-core.

Something like that certainly could happen again during the decade+ of star citizen development.

I just think its absurd that people who pledged on day 1 have had to upgrade to play their alpha already and will need a new rig (in all probability) to play it at launch...And theres really no excuse like Eq2 had of an industry shift but a purposefully 'snails pace' development time so huge salaries can keep coming in for years and years to come. 
  • EldrachEldrach Member RarePosts: 412
    Well, Scam is wrong. You can play the game. Will it deliver on it's promises, no..they said 100 solar systems..i'm guessing 2-3 at launch. The biggest problem with this game is the feature creep. A sensible development cycle would drop using resources on useless stuff and focus on finishing the game. I've played it..and it looks OK, but it also feels kinda empty. They spend like a year making 1 more quest giver, when there should be dousins by now
    NorseGod