Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Is it just me or is this site becoming less about MMORPG's?

Comments

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    I'd be more worried about the recent virus and spam outbreaks than the news coverage.  The code base for this pile of a site, is truly not maintainable.  I can make that assumption for the fact they tried to relaunch twice now with nothing to show for it.

It really is time to just rebrand and relaunch with something modern. Nothing here makes sense it's just an old name that they use as they are afraid to let it go in fear the new brand won't attract enough.

The links here are constantly getting encoded by third party hacks and phising scams.   
    SBFord
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,001
    edited September 2019
    Hashbrick said:
    I'd be more worried about the recent virus and spam outbreaks than the news coverage.  The code base for this pile of a site, is truly not maintainable.  I can make that assumption for the fact they tried to relaunch twice now with nothing to show for it.

It really is time to just rebrand and relaunch with something modern. Nothing here makes sense it's just an old name that they use as they are afraid to let it go in fear the new brand won't attract enough.

The links here are constantly getting encoded by third party hacks and phising scams.   
    This site has always had virus/spam outbreaks. 

Not sure why we are seeing more now as it's been quiet for a while. Or "seemingly quiet" as maybe they did appear and were removed quickly.

But over the years we've had a lot of that stuff.

As far as "rebranding" that would be the worse thing they could do. They already have the gamespace site so there is no reason to give up on a well know name. It is very possible that mmorpg's will become a complete indy venture and they will obviously be able to capitalize on that.

If for some reason there isn't enough traffic to this site they will most likely close it and usher people to gamespace. 

AlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,498
    DMKano said:
    Sovrath said:
    They've been talking about single player rpg's and "other types" of lobby games for quite some time.

This isn't new.

Reason? Not a lot of mmorpg's out there so they are covering other types of games that have some relation and that players might find interesting.

Otherwise, which of the multiple mmorpg's that are coming down the pike would you like to talk about?

So much this - the majority of non-indie game dev studios have 100% given up on mmorpgs years ago.

The skyrocketing dev costs and the time/effort required to pull of a financially successful game today has basically taken mmorpgs off the table entirely at this point.

There hasn't been a single new mmorpg (key word mmorpg not "mmo') in development by a non-indie western studio in years at this point

So not much to talk about.
    Well, numbers like these pretty well explain why larger studios aren't creating new MMORPGs.

https://www.gamesindustry.biz/articles/2019-09-17-league-of-legends-hit-8-million-peak-concurrent-players-a-day
    AlBQuirkySBFordklash2def

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• fcweddfcwedd Member UncommonPosts: 196
    Aye. I don't like sifting through RPG / Single-Player news. However, there really isn't much other content to talk about in the MMO realm.
    SBFordericlatrelle
  • LobotomistLobotomist Member EpicPosts: 5,965
    What is MMORPG ? I remember that long in the day there was something like that. But now its just a legend ...
    KyleranPalebaneAlBQuirkyericlatrelle

• GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    There seems to be a lot of whining on this website.....so about normal.  >:) :wink:

Gut Out!
    AlBQuirkyNepheth

What, me worry?

• eddieg50eddieg50 Member UncommonPosts: 1,809
    if this site just talked about mmorpg than it would be time for me to move on
  • Dixi01Dixi01 Member UncommonPosts: 54
    You can't blame this and other sites for absence of new and fun to play MMORPG's :-(
    As I understand state of industry, game devs are too greedy and not planning to make interesting and exiting games anymore, they care only about income. I hope situation will change some day, but it seems, not so soon.
    AlBQuirkyMendel
  • TillerTiller Member LegendaryPosts: 11,163
    That's it, there needs to be a world wide game publishers sit-in demanding new MMOs, lets start with EA. I can see it now, people chained to the vending machines and office espresso dispensers in the lobby demanding new MMOs or no snacks or coffee for anyone. The heavier the better, better start staking on the pounds, it's harder to remove you.

kidding of course.
    SWG Bloodfin vet
    Elder Jedi/Elder Bounty Hunter

edited September 2019
    Dixi01 said:
    You can't blame this and other sites for absence of new and fun to play MMORPG's :-(
    As I understand state of industry, game devs are too greedy and not planning to make interesting and exiting games anymore, they care only about income. I hope situation will change some day, but it seems, not so soon.
    Don't "you" also care about income?
    Kyleran

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

• GruntyGrunty Member EpicPosts: 8,657
    Sovrath said:
    Hashbrick said:

Not sure why we are seeing more now as it's been quiet for a while. Or "seemingly quiet" as maybe they did appear and were removed quickly.

As far as "rebranding" that would be the worse thing they could do. They already have the gamespace site so there is no reason to give up on a well know name. It is very possible that mmorpg's will become a complete indy venture and they will obviously be able to capitalize on that.

If for some reason there isn't enough traffic to this site they will most likely close it and usher people to gamespace. 

I can tell you why there's more spam.  None of you lazy asses are reporting it.  A couple of years ago I was laughed at because I quit reporting the shit largely because no one else seemed to be reporting them.   

It took about a year for the  spammers to find out they had a free run of the place.  You're now paying the reaper for y'all's laziness.  Stop complaining and do something about it.  Take 30 seconds and hit that 'flag' link on the spammers.

LOLs incoming.  Thanks for the internet points.
    Kyleran
    "I used to think the worst thing in life was to be all alone.  It's not.  The worst thing in life is to end up with people who make you feel all alone."  Robin Williams
    Grunty said:
    Sovrath said:
    Hashbrick said:

I can tell you why there's more spam.  None of you lazy asses are reporting it.  A couple of years ago I was laughed at because I quit reporting the shit largely because no one else seemed to be reporting them.   

It took about a year for the  spammers to find out they had a free run of the place.  You're now paying the reaper for y'all's laziness.  Stop complaining and do something about it.  Take 30 seconds and hit that 'flag' link on the spammers.

LOLs incoming.  Thanks for the internet points.
    Sheeeiitt....I report spammers all the time, off topic trolls, and heck, I even flagged you......

>:) 
    ScotSBFord

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Gutlard said:
    There seems to be a lot of whining on this website.....so about normal.  >:) :wink:

Gut Out!
    So, then... new website idea:
    MMORPGWhiners.com?
    KyleranSBFord[Deleted User]

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    edited September 2019
    Sovrath said:
    Dixi01 said:
    I'm sure Dixi01 does and so do I. But there is steady 15/month income with great gameplay and longevity or unlimited income via cash shops and lootboxes where gameplay gets butchered from the games into nice little "buy it here" pieces. Besides, the actual developers make the same amount (salary) if a game has 1000 players or 10,000,000. It is "the suits & investors" doing nothing that rake in the excesses, usually.

I can't blame them, as they are businesses after all. I just don't feel the "love and care" and "'Let's try this!' innovation" like we had a couple of decades ago. It's almost all formulaic based on the wrong numbers, money instead mechanics ;)

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,952
    edited September 2019
    Like the Op and Amathe said all we need is the articles to be more clearly labelled in a Not So MMO or a similar fashion.

Some possibilities, depending on how close a game is to a MMO ((which will stir up the pot no end :) )):

Nearly MMO
    Sorta MMO
    Not A MMO At All
    AlBQuirkyViper482Kyleranlotrlore
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,064
    Bill Murphy and company never had an issue primarily focusing on MMO's in spite of the naysayers in this thread.
    KyleranAmatheSBFordXarko
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
    AlBQuirky said:
    Sovrath said:
    Dixi01 said:
    I'm sure Dixi01 does and so do I. But there is steady 15/month income with great gameplay and longevity or unlimited income via cash shops and lootboxes where gameplay gets butchered from the games into nice little "buy it here" pieces. Besides, the actual developers make the same amount (salary) if a game has 1000 players or 10,000,000. It is "the suits & investors" doing nothing that rake in the excesses, usually.

I can't blame them, as they are businesses after all. I just don't feel the "love and care" and "'Let's try this!' innovation" like we had a couple of decades ago. It's almost all formulaic based on the wrong numbers, money instead mechanics ;)
    erm ...

A developer might make the same income if the game sells 1000 or 10 million but they might not have a job the next day if the game only sells 1000.

And $15 per month is great until the population goes down as all these games eventually experience. They could charge more but that might become a barrier to entry for many. They could charge less and hope that this entices more players to play.

While there are "greedy" publishers, I don't really buy the greedy developer angle. I think they just want to keep a job longer than a few years so that they don't have to relocate across the country to just do it again in another few years.

Even Arenanet, a developer whose whole business model is predicated on "buy to play" had implemented a cash shop to keep their business going. For both games mind you.

I strongly suspect that running a game company takes a lot more money than players can imagine. Now, this is not an excuse for predatory practices that publishers have implemented but there needs to be a way for game companies to make money and keep making money. They just haven't figured out a great way to do that yet. At least for mmorpg's.
    AlBQuirky

Sovrath said:
    AlBQuirky said:
    Sovrath said:
    Dixi01 said:

erm ...

A developer might make the same income if the game sells 1000 or 10 million but they might not have a job the next day if the game only sells 1000.

And $15 per month is great until the population goes down as all these games eventually experience. They could charge more but that might become a barrier to entry for many. They could charge less and hope that this entices more players to play.

While there are "greedy" publishers, I don't really buy the greedy developer angle. I think they just want to keep a job longer than a few years so that they don't have to relocate across the country to just do it again in another few years.

Even Arenanet, a developer whose whole business model is predicated on "buy to play" had implemented a cash shop to keep their business going. For both games mind you.

I strongly suspect that running a game company takes a lot more money than players can imagine. Now, this is not an excuse for predatory practices that publishers have implemented but there needs to be a way for game companies to make money and keep making money. They just haven't figured out a great way to do that yet. At least for mmorpg's.
    One of the biggest goals for any long term game maker is to earn enough money to keep the current game running and make enough of a profit to satisfy investors while funding the creation of any expansions or new games in development.

Lot more to it than just running a server farm.

SovrathMendelAlBQuirky

• MendelMendel Member LegendaryPosts: 5,609
    Dixi01 said:
    Businesses have always been concerned about income.  At one time, businesses thought that there was easy money to be had with MMORPGs.  It wasn't easy.  It took a long time to develop, these games were complicated to build, and ultimately appeared to have a relatively finite market.  So, the smart businesses moved to more fertile grounds, much like animals in Africa following the seasonal water holes.  Migration for survival.  There's simply more water (money) to be found elsewhere.

Sovrath

Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

• AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    One really poor way to make an argument is to mischaracterize what the other side says.

Some of us have asked that a little note be made when there are articles about games that are not mmos. Maybe just "Non-mmo."

So far that has been mischaracterized as:

1. We are saying that no articles can or should be written about anything except mmos;

2. We are blaming mmorpg.com for the downturn in new mmos to write about; 

3.  We are saying mmorpg.com is wrong to branch out so as to make money; and

4.  We are saying mmorg.com has never before published anything about any non mmos.

None of that is true.  Honestly, if you disagree, you are entitled to your opinion, but try not to misstate what is being said. 
    lotrlore

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

Amathe said:
    One really poor way to make an argument is to mischaracterize what the other side says.

Some of us have asked that a little note be made when there are articles about games that are not mmos. Maybe just "Non-mmo."

So far that has been mischaracterized as:

1. We are saying that no articles can or should be written about anything except mmos;

2. We are blaming mmorpg.com for the downturn in new mmos to write about; 

3.  We are saying mmorpg.com is wrong to branch out so as to make money; and

4.  We are saying mmorg.com has never before published anything about any non mmos.

None of that is true.  Honestly, if you disagree, you are entitled to your opinion, but try not to misstate what is being said. 
    They did that for a small time. I guess they just forgot.
    lotrlore

• PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    kitarad said:
    We talk about the old games like Everquest and vanilla WoW....that's discussion too.
    The pithy forum banter here is where the real MMORPG news is.
    AlBQuirky

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• klash2defklash2def Member EpicPosts: 1,949
    edited September 2019
    MMORPGs are dead. 

There's nothing to talk about, nobody to blame really.

Blizz kept the genre going with WoW but got so big that they felt they didn't need to innovate anything anymore. Truthfully, -THEY- didn't. What they did was working.  They should have been the only WoW out there but success doesn't work like that.

SO you get thousands of failed WoW clones to oversaturate the market and it ultimately dies from lack of oxygen. that's not Blizzard's fault, I just personally believe that's what happened.

Publishers saw that big money Blizz was getting and forgot about innovation. They all thought "we can just copy WoW and get some of that pie." Big IPs, new IPs.. they all failed in the end. I've said this a lot in the past but businesses that don't change or innovate usually die. It was bound to happen. 

Today you can count on one hand how many -actual- MMOs exist, 24 months from now it will probably be even less. I'm willing to bet we soon start hearing about some of those "in development" games stop development altogether. 

It was a good ride but now it's over. I play ESO and Destiny (fun games) but at times they feel largely like SP games.. hell even WoW went down that SP path. The world has changed a lot since the peak of MMOs and I don't think there is a space for them anymore. Gamers are different now.

TBH I'm only here to watch old people fight over video games, thats pretty neat. Where else can a Millenial like myself get this type of content? It's like Reddit for old people. I hope it survives forever.  :D 
    [Deleted User]SBFordlotrlorecheebaAlBQuirky
    "Beliefs don't change facts. Facts, if you're reasonable, should change your beliefs."

"The Society that separates its scholars from its warriors will have its thinking done by cowards and its fighting by fools."

Currently: Games Audio Engineer, you didn't hear what I heard, you heard what I wanted you to hear. 

• lotrlorelotrlore Managing EditorMMORPG.COM Staff, Member RarePosts: 555
    Hi all -

Good god I appreciate this thread. This is something I'm constantly thinking about as we plot our course through this industry, and how we approach coverage on MMORPG is going to be an ever evolving process, especially as the industry itself evolves.

In terms of our coverage - yes, there has been less MMO-specific coverage on the site as of late. That isn't as a result of a new directive by myself, but rather reflecting the industry as a whole. The State of the MMORPG industry is simply one that is limbo - large, AAA studios aren't pouring money into the genre like they used to, especially here in the West. Many of the MMOs that are being made aren't the traditional MMO - many can argue that Battle Royales are MMO - they can be massive, multiplayer and online. Though they don't capture the spirit of what an MMO used to be, however the industry has shifted so much towards those types of games that unfortunately coverage necessarily has to shift with it.

The over-saturation of the market is another issue - we saw that as Klash2Def mentioned explained so perfectly. The market became about WoW clones instead of creating something that really broke new ground. 

The thing to keep in mind that while our name is MMORPG, and we should be primarily covering MMO(RPGs), they way I look at it is it's two terms: we cover MMOs, and we cover RPGs mainly. We will necessarily cover the industry, hardware and more, but those will be our focus. You might see the occasional card game thrown in (Magic Arena and Gwent specifically), but we want to ensure that MMORPG.com stays the best place for MMO fans to gather discuss our favorite, and one of the most unique genres in the games industry to date.

As far as labeling our coverage better as has been mentioned here multiple times, it's definitely something we'll be keeping in mind,

Also - if you're interested in writing about your favorite game, whether it be an editorial, news, or even reviews - hit me up. We're always looking for volunteer writers who are passionate like everyone in this thread. I really can't stress enough how much I appreciate this discussion. We're still learning and we're trying to continue the great work Suzie and Bill did. Keep us honest, hit me up at [email protected] if you have issues. 

Appreciate it everyone. 

Joseph

AmathePhaserlightcheeba[Deleted User]klash2defAlBQuirky[Deleted User]bartoni33Kyleran
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    Thank you @lotrlore for looking into this issue. 

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests