Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Borderlands 3 Review In Progress - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited September 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageBorderlands 3 Review In Progress - MMORPG.com

With 20 hours played in Borderlands 3 I am enjoying my trip back to the Borderlands universe. All of the gameplay I loved seven years ago is there, but some technical issues have made for a bumpy start.

Read the full story here

Comments

• TheDarkrayneTheDarkrayne Member EpicPosts: 5,297
    edited September 2019
    I feel the game kind of needs different review scores for different people.

If you want more Borderlands with new weapons, builds, enemies, locations, QoL improvements, etc., you'll love it.. Like, really love it.

If you want innovation and something fresh, you'll be disappointed.

Anyone new to Borderlands probably won't get a lot of the story references and humour, so their experience might be a bit iffy. There's a LOT of story and characters taken from Tales From The Borderlands as well so anyone that hasn't played that just might not 'get' it.

Play plenty of the endgame before giving a final score if you have the time. Finishing the campaign once and saying you're done isn't where you get to the real meat of the skill systems and loot affixes. They've done some nice things to make endgame less of a bore this time around if you're not in it purely for the loot chase. Plus, a whole new passive skill system opens up.
    Post edited by TheDarkrayne on
    achmede[Deleted User]supx2infomatz
    I don't suffer from insanity, I enjoy every minute of it.
  • AeanderAeander Member LegendaryPosts: 7,836
    I feel the game kind of needs different review scores for different people.

If you want more Borderlands with new weapons, builds, creatures, locations, etc., you'll love it.. Like, really love it.

If you want innovation and something fresh, you'll be disappointed.

Play plenty of the endgame before giving a final score if you have the time. Finishing the campaign once and saying you're done isn't where you get to real meat of the skill systems and loot affixes. They've done some nice things to make endgame less of a bore this time around if you're not in it purely for the loot chase.
    I suppose I've reached the point where I've decided that iteration is better than innovation within a franchise. People buy Borderlands because they like Borderlands. People buy Zelda because they like Zelda.

Franchises exist for comfort food. Each new entry is a chance for the developers to re-evaluate what people like and do not like about their franchise, and I think that's as far as they should usually go. If one wants to introduce something wildly new into the world, why not invent a new IP?

I certainly don't want every franchise to be like Darksiders - every entry being a completely different type of game from the last.
    TheDarkrayneWhiteLanternSovrathOGDeathRowk61977bartoni33[Deleted User]SaltyDog79infomatzLiljna
  • 3dom3dom Member RarePosts: 889
    Waiting for third-person mod to make the game actually playable. Anthem, Gears 5, Ghost Recon Breakpoint till then.
    WhiteLanternNephethArtamianMaddog666swarmdie

Thank you for your time!

• ElvocElvoc Member RarePosts: 546
    Im really enjoying the game on my PS4, I just really wish this had not been an Epic release as I would have loved to play it on my PC with Steam.. The epic community options are nothing like steam when it comes to playing with friends or forum inputs..etc
    [Deleted User]
    edited September 2019
    Arterius said:
    I am really liking the story but I am really early on (Taking my time exploring every nook and cranny) so I expect it to take a downward turn as most complaints are about the story.

I think you'll like the story if you're liking it from the start. I have no problems with it. I just think it's OK, and I thought BL2 was just OK as well. You know, decent but not amazing or anything.

Like I said in my first post, though, there's a lot of references to Tales From The Borderlands so some story moments for me were like "Oh, it's so-and-so from Tales".. and you lose that if you haven't played it. Like Vaughn, he's a main sidekick character in Tales and you see his transition from corporate Hyperion nerd to bandit leader in that game. When you find him the way that you do, it's way more funny if you already know who he is. Same thing if you haven't played BL2 as well (including some of the DLC), I suppose.

It's certainly a hell of a lot better than Borderlands 1's story because it hardly had one. 
    [Deleted User]
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    I am waiting for a used copy to come up at gamestop so that I can return it. The borderlands series has always interested me to a point but never been able to really stick with me. The large swathes of nothing in the open world with only points of interest with miles imbetween make it feel soul-less and boring. This combined with a lack of any good music just bores me eventually.
    WhiskeydustMaddog666
  • OGDeathRowOGDeathRow Member UncommonPosts: 129
    I myself dont do day 1 purchases anymore, usually give it a week or 2, been burned a few times : (

Id like to see some scores from some of our forum goers here, After fallout 76 i removed epic store lol, since fallout was the only game i had for it, so I dont see discussions like I do on steam. I loved border lands 2, but have been stung by games before that change direction mid series (Dragon Age *cough cough*, still loved the second one, but man, what a diffrence)
  • orbitxoorbitxo Member RarePosts: 1,956
    edited September 2019
    Been playing on pc- some keys are bound and can’t be changed- horrible for pc players. Not a fan of the villain twins. That said- I’m liking the game as a expanded universe of borderlands an where we are exploring( the guns corporate bosses -planets etc)...also a lot of female Mary Sues in this sequel....not a big fan either. The mobs are cookie cutter clones - Lazy on creative side -IMO.same bald headed guy n midgets lots of midgets- gets boring fast.
    Maddog666
  • GroqstrongGroqstrong Member RarePosts: 815
    I might have missing something along the way but is there a problem with getting this game on the epic store for your pc? Why is everyone deadset on Steam?
    Maddog666
    edited September 2019
    I might have missing something along the way but is there a problem with getting this game on the epic store for your pc? Why is everyone deadset on Steam?
    It's just this PC game launcher war that's going on at the moment. I prefer games on Steam but I'll get them elsewhere if I have to so I bought it on Epic.

Borderlands started on Steam and all the other BL games are on Steam so the exclusivity hate is especially toxic this time around. Some people just don't like what Epic are doing with exclusivity deals in the first place and some just refuse to use another game launcher.
  • WhiskeydustWhiskeydust Member UncommonPosts: 79

3dom said:

Waiting for third-person mod to make the game actually playable. Anthem, Gears 5, Ghost Recon Breakpoint till then.

What is wrong with you?
  • KajidourdenKajidourden Member EpicPosts: 3,030
    You underestimate the laziness of gamers.  Apparently a 30 second download is such a detriment that they would rather not play a game than bother.  It's insane.
  • MaggonMaggon Member UncommonPosts: 360
    edited September 2019
    Arterius said:
    You underestimate the laziness of gamers.  Apparently a 30 second download is such a detriment that they would rather not play a game than bother.  It's insane.
    To be fair with Borderlands 3 on Epic is really messing up. Saves are being deleted or your progress doesn't save right so you have to redo big chunks of the game. According to IGN and other news sources it seems like it is a problem with Epic to and not Borderlands 3. Something to do with Epic save files and the cloud
    Would like to mention that I had a pop-up earlier telling me that my save differed from that on the cloud, from which I then had the option to either download the save file from the cloud or upload my current save file on my disk..

The reason it even did ask me in the first place, was due to me pressing alt+f4 and not shutting down the game correctly.

It even stated as to which one was newer, so not sure what that is all about :/
    TheDarkrayne
    edited September 2019
    Arterius said:
    To be fair with Borderlands 3 on Epic is really messing up. Saves are being deleted or your progress doesn't save right so you have to redo big chunks of the game. According to IGN and other news sources it seems like it is a problem with Epic to and not Borderlands 3. Something to do with Epic save files and the cloud
    It's all rubbish. It's absolutely fine. I know about exactly 10 people that have no issues.

It's Epic hate and review bombing... or some people are doing really weird things with where they install the epic launcher.

As Maggon said, it works exactly like Steam; warning if there's a conflict. Not that I know anyone that has had a warning for no reason.
    [Deleted User]ZenJellyMaddog666
  • GinazGinaz Member RarePosts: 2,470
    edited September 2019

Arterius said:

Not only that, but there isn't one place where EGS users can ask questions or report problems like you can with Steam. It helps to have everything consolidated in one place rather than having to go to different reddit forums or the "official" BL3 forums, where your questions and concerns get down voted into oblivion and ignored. Also, no achievements for PC at all right now, which a lot of people care about. Whatever. I'll be getting the cheaper patched and superior game when the GOTY version is released on Steam next year. Too busy with WoW classic, Greedfall, Gears 5 and Divinity Original Sin 2 on the Switch to even care about BL3 right now, anyway.
    [Deleted User]ZenJellyCyberFrog

Is a man not entitled to the herp of his derp?

Remember, I live in a world where juggalos and yugioh players are real things.

• crankkedcrankked Member UncommonPosts: 284
    I think it's a really fun game.  All of the quality of life improvements from BL2, plus better gun play and the alt firing abilities of some guns.  

Too bad some of you are missing out because of illogical Epic hate, but hey that's your business.  Just wish all my friends weren't lunatics who hate on Epic as well so I had friends to play with.
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209

3dom said:

Plays fine for me.
  • GutlardGutlard Member RarePosts: 1,019
    I'll play it when the Ultimate GOTY comes out for it most likely, wherever it goes on sale first for cheapest, on PC. I was really wanting to play it now, but I'm just being honest with myself and I wouldn't even play it right now if I did buy it.....

Too busy playing Ultimate Skyrim mod pack! ha

Gut Out!

What, me worry?

• FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    I don't trust anyones opinion on Borderlands 3 unless:

• They were still playing BL2
    • Need more Mister Torgue vocal guitar solos in life
    • Laugh at Tiny Tina butchering urban slang
    • Have heard Clap Trap scream "noooooooo" at stairs over 100 times
    • Understand manufacturer parts for BL2 weapons (Hyperion Shotgun Stocks FTW)
    • Know that Handsome Jack will always be the greatest villain in the franchise and don't expect anyone else to fill his shoes

I look forward to hearing from anybody who can relate to the above. Thanks.
    WhiteLanternZenJellySaltyDog79[Deleted User]Maddog666Talraekk
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
  • WhiteLanternWhiteLantern Member RarePosts: 3,309

I don't trust anyones opinion on Borderlands 3 unless:

• They were still playing BL2
    • Need more Mister Torgue vocal guitar solos in life
    • Laugh at Tiny Tina butchering urban slang
    • Have heard Clap Trap scream "noooooooo" at stairs over 100 times
    • Understand manufacturer parts for BL2 weapons (Hyperion Shotgun Stocks FTW)
    • Know that Handsome Jack will always be the greatest villain in the franchise and don't expect anyone else to fill his shoes

I look forward to hearing from anybody who can relate to the above. Thanks.

I can relate to all of that (Vladof barrels on Maliwan pistols, ftw!), but haven't yet played 3, so....

I want a mmorpg where people have gone through misery, have gone through school stuff and actually have had sex even. -sagil

• WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    A lot of complaints from users about performance.
    The problems with the game are NOT an Epic problem and Steam would not change it either.Steam has discussion areas to vent but make no mistake Steam could not care less about Borderlands 3,they ONLY support games that Valve makes.
    https://www.gamesradar.com/borderlands-3-performance-issues-lag-stuttering/
    https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2019-09-14-borderlands-3-is-suffering-from-a-raft-of-technical-issues-at-launch

A reskinned game with a couple new gimmicks like planets but to me same old and not really that fun.I watched Little Joe from the AJS and i got real bored pretty fast.Albeit he was trying to play on Mayhem and instead of putting in some effort all the developer did was change the % of damage to make it harder...LMAO ,talk about a lazy effort.

IMO,they saw the early hype and just said,let's release this in any state,forget fixes,every day we delay this we lose money,so they rushed it out from a poorly if at all untested state.

IMO not worth a new game sale but for the most,i suspect all people care about is rushing to get their legend drops,all about the loot and not really about fun game play,remove the loot then let's hear the talk.
    After trying 1-2 and watching some B3 game play,i don't think i will ever buy the game not even on sale, it is not my cup of tea.

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.

• emikz1kemikz1k Newbie CommonPosts: 19
    edited September 2019
    I bought first 3 borderlands because of borderlands 3. It cost me less than £15 and I am having a blast in borderlands 1 EE GOTY.
  • MikeBMikeB Community ManagerAdministrator RarePosts: 6,555
    Just want to chime in real quick for anyone having issues on 21:9 (Ultrawide) monitors. Disable FidelityFX sharpening in the graphics options and the cutscene issues will be fixed.
    [Deleted User]
  • TheOctagonTheOctagon Member UncommonPosts: 411
    Borderlands 2 but with tons of new weapons. Looked better and played smoother, but it should considering the years between the two of them. Sliding was new but that's about it. Bosses were horrible bullet sponges like always. Nothing really innovative and fresh in my opinion. Buy it after it goes on sale.
  • FlyByKnightFlyByKnight Member EpicPosts: 3,967
    Quite honestly I would consider BL3 a huge win (for me personally) if:
    • The story, DLC, and side quests maintained the quirkiness, good/bad humor from BL2 (Tiny Tina, Mr. Torgue, Claptrap, and others) but more [Don't know]
    • The world opened up to many worlds with their own vaults [Done]
    • Gearbox got deeper with weapons (allow players to salvage weapons for parts so they could customize them at endgame) [Didn't happen]
    • Character choice options started at 6 and grew to way more [4]
    • Multiplayer was 6-10 [Not happening]
    • Loot drops improved greatly when finding extra rare chests [Don't know]
    • Difficulty ramping wasn't just a damage/health algorithm (new mechanics maybe) [Don't know]
    • It was playable on all platforms without exclusivity [April 2020]

Some of the more technical things like Weapons parts, multiplayer lobby increases, loot drops, difficulty tweaks were things that were being addressed by the hack/mod guys and they were pretty damn fun. I think this is why the concurrent population is back up to 12k-15k despite a newer game being there. The folks who are back to BL2 aren't very pleased with BL3.

I'm almost glad I have to wait until April 2020 to play, maybe they'll address some things by then?
    "As far as the forum code of conduct, I would think it's a bit outdated and in need of a refre *CLOSED*" 

¯\_(ツ)_/¯