Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Wow Classic - 4.5 million players stated

blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 931
Someone on the classic forum made post that stated classic now has 4.5 million active players.

Thread is here - https://us.forums.blizzard.com/en/wow/t/4-5-million-and-rising-fast/298970

He explains where he got the info from in the thread.  I hope the idiotic, "You think you do, but you don't" people learn to keep their idiot mouths shut.  

Some other interesting info is that only 27k people are level 60 out of those 4.5 million captured.  
Viper482KyleranJeffSpicoliblueturtle13Jean-Luc_PicardRhoklawGolelorn

Comments

• Viper482Viper482 Member EpicPosts: 2,711
    edited September 14
    Clearly a failure of epic proportions....we know not what we really want, of course (nostalgia blah blah blah blah). rofl.

I gave up on my original server choice because it is still full during primetime every freaking day.  
    blamo2000
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • vtravivtravi Member UncommonPosts: 343
    I think that is characters created. It is probally more like 750k which is still great. I am absoultely loving it. The most fun I have had in a MMO since Lotro Mines of Moria. I never played wow much before (lotro was always my main game before it got ruined) so it isnt nostaglia, its is just a well made game. 
    blamo2000Viper482KyleranJean-Luc_PicardAzaron_Nightblade
  • blamo2000blamo2000 Member RarePosts: 931
    edited September 14
    vtravi said:
    I think that is characters created. It is probally more like 750k which is still great. I am absoultely loving it. The most fun I have had in a MMO since Lotro Mines of Moria. I never played wow much before (lotro was always my main game before it got ruined) so it isnt nostaglia, its is just a well made game. 
    I don't think so.  The addon takes a snapshot of people logged into a character.  The site he linked to states - "Currently we have 6,187,475 characters in the database."  So the amount of characters that the addon logged is far different from the numbers of people playing.  \

Which makes sense since people aren't really going to log into characters they created just for name holders.  I have no active alts.  I doubt many people are actively leveling alts at this time, so the characters logged versus active logins seems to make sense on its face.  

Edit - here is a link to the site and the breakdown.  Feel free to pick it apart and post any obvious info I missed.  Only characters greater than level 5 were captured (according to the charts).  
  • dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 599
    These are recorded characters (above level 5) not necessarily active players, unless there isn't a single alt above level 5 in there (which is highly unlikely). Given the time investment of leveling a character it's probably safe to assume anything above level 30 will have a really low alt dilution though currently.

Anything below 20 is also at quite a large risk of having quit already realizing the old game is not for them which is where the majority of the playerbase can be found atm.
    Kyleran
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,938
    edited September 14
    If Blizzard didn't publish the number,  its "fake news" and should be considered suspect.

>:) 

TorvalDrunkWolfSlapshot1188WaanXarkomgilbrtsnSandmanjw

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

dlld said:
    These are recorded characters (above level 5) not necessarily active players, unless there isn't a single alt above level 5 in there (which is highly unlikely). Given the time investment of leveling a character it's probably safe to assume anything above level 30 will have a really low alt dilution though currently.

Anything below 20 is also at quite a large risk of having quit already realizing the old game is not for them which is where the majority of the playerbase can be found atm.
    There recorded total number of characters (over level five) is well over 6 mil, far different than the 4.5 million number of players claimed.  I posted this above.

Either I am missing something, or you guys are.  But again, let me stress - the total captured characters over level five is well over 6 million.  The claim of the number of actual players over level 5 is over 4 million.
    edited September 14
    Kyleran said:
    If Blizzard didn't publish the number,  its "fake news" and should be considered suspect.

It may be hard for them due to PR.  In a different thread someone said only 375k were recorded playing retail.  If that is true I'd be very interested to see how this is spun.  

Edit - I can't find the thread and I could be off.  It was 3X5.  It could be 325 or 395.  All three sound right.  But the important part is that it was reported as a small fraction of active classic players. 
  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    edited September 14

Related image
    YukmarcMyrdynnWaan
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• XiaokiXiaoki Member RarePosts: 3,255
    edited September 14
    This is characters created from a add on.

This is a big fat nothing.

When there are REAL numbers from Blizzard then you can make jokes about "You think you do, but you don't"
  • DMKanoDMKano Member LegendaryPosts: 21,177
    Umm character created is not accounts - also WoW Classic is 3 weeks in - and it's losing popularity fast on Twitch:

Look at the last week - been brutal in terms of loss of twitch interest - hours watched down by 36%, averge viewers down by 32% - channels down by 32%

Here's the trend since launch - steady decline:

Is WoW classic a success - YES 100%.

3 weeks in - are the new servers being added and is it growing? No.

Is it declining - yes, and it will continue to do so for weeks before it stabilizes at core players in about 3-6 months. 

Viper482mcrippinsIceAgeGolelorn
    edited September 14
    blamo2000 said:
    dlld said:

There recorded total number of characters (over level five) is well over 6 mil, far different than the 4.5 million number of players claimed.  I posted this above.

Either I am missing something, or you guys are.  But again, let me stress - the total captured characters over level five is well over 6 million.  The claim of the number of actual players over level 5 is over 4 million.

How are they claming total accounts based on # of characters? What's the math behind that?

How many are actively playing after 3 weeks? That's the real question.
    KyleranTorvalViper482Xarko
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 33,938
    edited September 14
    DMKano said:
    blamo2000 said:
    dlld said:

Define "actively playing."  In my view it means 2+ hours a day, 4 or 5 days a week, with little time devoted to other games.

45 minutes twice a week doesn't rate.

We'll see how the numbers look when the 30 day sub renewal mark hits.

Oh wait, Blizzard stopped publishing sub numbers.... but if Classic really has 4M+ subs I expect them to shout it from the rooftops....but I bet we won't see it.

DMKanoMikehaSandmanjw

"See normal people, I'm not one of them" | G-Easy & Big Sean

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing POE at the moment.

Fools find no pleasure in understanding, but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

Viper482 said:
    Clearly a failure of epic proportions....we know not what we really want, of course (nostalgia blah blah blah blah). rofl.

I gave up on my original server choice because it is still full during primetime every freaking day.  

Some servers will remain very popular while others will not. 

5 EU servers are showing declining population:

meanwhile US realms while declining are more populated than EU realms:

Viper482Kyleran
    edited September 14
    Kyleran said:
    DMKano said:
    blamo2000 said:
    dlld said:

Define "actively playing."  In my view it means 2+ hours a day, 4 or 5 days a week, with little time devoted to other games.

45 minutes twice a week doesn't rate.

We'll see how the numbers look when the 30 day sub renewal mark hits.

Oh wait, Blizzard stopped publishing sub numbers.... but if Classic really has 4M+ subs I expect them to shout it from the rooftops....but I bet we won't see it.

Either way - someone is claiming 4 mil accounts based on number of characters? 

What kind of fuzzy math is that?

And I agree 100% - if the numbers where highly positive - Blizzard would be doing all kinds of PR around that.

But what's happening is exactly what Blizzard devs said in that interview - massive intitial spike, followed by decline.

In terms of Twitch interest - which obviously is showing just that - how many people stream/watch/ WoW - it's showing precisely that - a massive initial spike and then rapid decline.
    Viper482Kyleran
  • UtinniUtinni Member RarePosts: 996
    While I'm loving classic WoW I don't see any way it would be even close to 4mil accounts. I'd say more likely 700k?
    kertinKyleran
  • dllddlld Member UncommonPosts: 599
    blamo2000 said:
    dlld said:

Yes, and I assume when said post was made it was 4.5mil, I see no evidence of anyone getting to the 4.5mil any other way. I know exactly how the addon works that collects said information since I've used it and the webpage sourced just takes reports from said addon and combines them together.
  • BladeburaibaBladeburaiba Member UncommonPosts: 81
    Ahem.  You think you do, but you really don't.
    Torval
  • blueturtle13blueturtle13 Member LegendaryPosts: 11,825
    Active players is actually in the 2 mil mark which is what I think WOW head has been told from Blizz?
    Anyway who cares, in three months or so the numbers will fall even more and by this time next year it will be in the multi thousands.
    All that matters really though is do you like it? Are you having fun? If yes then case closed it is a success to you. 
     Carry on. Play your game. Rejoice.    ;) 
    Torval

거북이는 목을 내밀 때 안 움직입니다

• gunklackergunklacker Member UncommonPosts: 247
    DMKano said:
    Umm character created is not accounts - also WoW Classic is 3 weeks in - and it's losing popularity fast on Twitch:

Look at the last week - been brutal in terms of loss of twitch interest - hours watched down by 36%, averge viewers down by 32% - channels down by 32%

Is it declining - yes, and it will continue to do so for weeks before it stabilizes at core players in about 3-6 months. 

Top twitch players were classic wow
    blueturtle13
  • VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 5,782
    DMKano said:

WoW would be losing popularity on Twitch even if it were gaining players. The streamers and viewers jumped in to the new game for the newness -factor, but once that is past then WoW is very much about different grinds, and long-term those grinds aren't that fun to watch.

KyleranManWithNoTan

• Jean-Luc_PicardJean-Luc_Picard Member LegendaryPosts: 8,045
    Nice job OP, you started a thread all the trolls are going to argue about for pages.

PS: laughing my ass off when I saw someone counter the OP with Twitch numbers. Really ? The thread has at least TWO clowns now.
    blamo2000IceAgeManWithNoTan
    "The ability to speak doesn't make you intelligent" - Qui-gon Jinn in Star Wars.
    After many years of reading Internet forums, there's no doubt that nor does the ability to write.
    CPU: Core I7 9700k (4.90ghz) - GPU: Gigabyte GTX 980 Ti G1 Gaming - RAM: 16GB Kingston HyperX Savage DDR4 3000 - Motherboard: Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Ultra - PSU: Antec TruePower New 750W - Storage: Kingston KC1000 NVMe 960gb SSD and 2x1TB WD Velociraptor HDDs (Raid 0) - Main display: Philips 40PUK6809 4K 3D TV - Second display: Philips 273v 27" gaming monitor - VR: Pimax 8K headset and Razer Hydra controllers - Soundcard: Sony STR-DH550 AV Receiver HDMI linked with the GPU and the TV, with Jamo S 426 HS 3 5.0 speakers and Pioneer S-21W subwoofer - OS: Windows 10 Pro 64 bits.

Vrika said:
    WoW would be losing popularity on Twitch even if it were gaining players. The streamers and viewers jumped in to the new game for the newness -factor, but once that is past then WoW is very much about different grinds, and long-term those grinds aren't that fun to watch.

Maybe - but there's no denying that the WoW classic has peaked and is now in decline - otherwise the server count would still be rising and all servers would be high to full - which clearly isn't the case anymore.

BUT what twitch shows is a decline in interest - and this usually comes with decline in popularity and playerbase.
    Viper482
  • VrikaVrika Member EpicPosts: 5,782
    DMKano said:
    Viper482 said:

You have to remember that players initially play same game far more hours/day than they'd play long term. Assuming that those numbers are about players connecting to the server, then NA must have gained active players to keep the population stable as that initial rush passes.

I do believe the population will drop, but honestly I'm at the moment surprised it's not dropping faster.

• UtinniUtinni Member RarePosts: 996
    Those server lists also seem like they were taken during NA peak hours while EU was sleeping.
    Vrika said:
    DMKano said:
    Viper482 said:

You have to remember that players initially play same game far more hours/day than they'd play long term. Assuming that those numbers are about players connecting to the server, then NA must have gained active players to keep the population stable as that initial rush passes.

I do believe the population will drop, but honestly I'm at the moment surprised it's not dropping faster.

It is dropping fast though - after the 1st month, how many stay subbed?

Also WoW classic has a major issue with lacking content at end game - so as more players level up - more will leave as they hit endgame.

So the rate of players leaving is likely to increase.
    Viper482KyleranPottedPlant22ManWithNoTan