Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Headed to Dale :D

Prime_DirectivePrime_Directive Member RarePosts: 1,550
edited September 13 in Lord of the Rings Online
So I decided to get into LotRO for a bit, and didn't realize how far they expanded the game world. Which is all the way to the lonely mountain. I traveled to meet the King Under the Mountain, and it is probably some of the most iconic and epic feeling areas in the game. Traveling through the forest, which is the biggest forest in mmorpg history. It went from dark interior to black interior with these eys peering through the darkness of the forest. It was amazing experience.



From the forest Gale it is semi dark, but then Caras Tilion area i s is just epically dark, I have my setting brighter then normally and it was still a deep dark forest. Will heading back into Mordor and working my way to Mt. Doom 


There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
Sovrathsgelblueturtle13TorvalSinsaiXodicTokken

Comments

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,310
    It's one of the reasons that this is pretty much the only mmorpg that I play. There is more of a world feel than most games. 
    TorvalPrime_DirectiveTokkenRemali



  • sgelsgel Member EpicPosts: 2,134
    The world is indeed the loveliest I've ever experienced in an mmorpg.

    I'd love to come back but it's been a while and I wouldn't know where to start  :/
    TorvalPrime_Directive

    ..Cake..

  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    My expierance with the starter zone of the shire was up there with Dun Morogh in WOW. Just the asthetics and the music, very immersive . I recently ( about 4 months ago) tried to return and had issues with the launcher, First i couldn't get the game to download, then i got some sketchy security warnings....
    TorvalPrime_Directive
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,310
    sgel said:
    The world is indeed the loveliest I've ever experienced in an mmorpg.

    I'd love to come back but it's been a while and I wouldn't know where to start  :/
    Do what I do/did, just jump in and do what you want.

    Pick a race, pick a class, and take it from there. You don't have to know everything and you certainly don't have to do everything.

    I walk away from quests/quest hubs all the time and just do what I want to do.


    TorvalMendel



  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,310
    My expierance with the starter zone of the shire was up there with Dun Morogh in WOW. Just the asthetics and the music, very immersive . I recently ( about 4 months ago) tried to return and had issues with the launcher, First i couldn't get the game to download, then i got some sketchy security warnings....
    use steam. I had issues with their launcher and apparently it couldn't find "something" in order to start the game.

    I then thought "maybe it's a more streamlined process with the steam launcher and that proved to fix the issue.
    JeffSpicoliTorvalMendel



  • MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,372
    I use Steam, also.  No problems.

    I do wish the development team would look into improving the very archaic patch system, though.  Patching almost always eats an entire RL day.



    TorvalPrime_Directive

    Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

  • JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    Sovrath said:
    My expierance with the starter zone of the shire was up there with Dun Morogh in WOW. Just the asthetics and the music, very immersive . I recently ( about 4 months ago) tried to return and had issues with the launcher, First i couldn't get the game to download, then i got some sketchy security warnings....
    use steam. I had issues with their launcher and apparently it couldn't find "something" in order to start the game.

    I then thought "maybe it's a more streamlined process with the steam launcher and that proved to fix the issue.
    Yeah im almost positive for one reason or another i tried to download directly from the website, or maybe steam linked me there, dont know. When i burn out on classic i will definitely give this another go through Steam, thx for the suggestion   :)
    TorvalSovrath
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,310
    edited September 13
    Mendel said:
    I use Steam, also.  No problems.

    I do wish the development team would look into improving the very archaic patch system, though.  Patching almost always eats an entire RL day.



    So I recently updated my internet (which was amazingly slow) and through the Steam Launcher updating is very fast. 

    Steam does launch "a lord of the rings launcher" but patching is very, very quick.

    So it could be your internet?



  • MendelMendel Member EpicPosts: 3,372
    Sovrath said:
    Mendel said:
    I use Steam, also.  No problems.

    I do wish the development team would look into improving the very archaic patch system, though.  Patching almost always eats an entire RL day.



    So I recently updated my internet (which was amazingly slow) and through the Steam Launcher updating is very fast. 

    Steam does launch "a lord of the rings launcher" but patching is very, very quick.

    So it could be your internet?
    Unlikely, but I won't discount it.  Other games update quickly enough, even EQ1.  That "forward iterations" stuff makes even the smallest change take forever.  From what I can tell, that is a local disk to memory operation, not one involving the internet.

    It could also be related to Win 7.  It has pretty dreadful memory management.  I'll probably update this machine to Win 10 when Win 7 support stops.  One machine on an unsupported OS per customer, please.  (XP machine that I can't upgrade to running Win 7 -- it is the machine I built to run EQ1 in the first place, Win 98 then Win XP.  Works perfectly well, but painfully slow). 



    Logic, my dear, merely enables one to be wrong with great authority.

  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,310
    Mendel said:
    Sovrath said:
    Mendel said:
    I use Steam, also.  No problems.

    I do wish the development team would look into improving the very archaic patch system, though.  Patching almost always eats an entire RL day.



    So I recently updated my internet (which was amazingly slow) and through the Steam Launcher updating is very fast. 

    Steam does launch "a lord of the rings launcher" but patching is very, very quick.

    So it could be your internet?
    Unlikely, but I won't discount it.  Other games update quickly enough, even EQ1.  That "forward iterations" stuff makes even the smallest change take forever.  From what I can tell, that is a local disk to memory operation, not one involving the internet.

    It could also be related to Win 7.  It has pretty dreadful memory management.  I'll probably update this machine to Win 10 when Win 7 support stops.  One machine on an unsupported OS per customer, please.  (XP machine that I can't upgrade to running Win 7 -- it is the machine I built to run EQ1 in the first place, Win 98 then Win XP.  Works perfectly well, but painfully slow). 



    Well, all I can say is that every update is extremely fast. Now, I use Windows 10 so maybe it is the operating system.



  • Prime_DirectivePrime_Directive Member RarePosts: 1,550
    edited September 17
    sgel said:
    The world is indeed the loveliest I've ever experienced in an mmorpg.

    I'd love to come back but it's been a while and I wouldn't know where to start  :/
    was in the same boat. Level 112, was at the Camp of the host trying to get acclimated again and was killed by a lvl 103 bear ? That was yesterday, 30k hp and like 5k might. Today I am at 80k hp 120 points of light , like 15k might ? who knows but I'm crushing these orcs like butter. 

    Think it really depends on were you are in the game, I was lucky enough to be far enough along I could get the enchantment gear.

    Post edited by Prime_Directive on
    There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
  • Prime_DirectivePrime_Directive Member RarePosts: 1,550
    edited September 13
    My expierance with the starter zone of the shire was up there with Dun Morogh in WOW. Just the asthetics and the music, very immersive . I recently ( about 4 months ago) tried to return and had issues with the launcher, First i couldn't get the game to download, then i got some sketchy security warnings....
    HAd the same problem, literally had to let it download  by itself with no other applications using the network.

    At the half way point if the netwoirk download speed is greater then their download limiter from the server, it kills the process in my speculation. So The downloader will eat all bandwidth , so if you have 30 down, it will eat 30 down ect.
    There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
  • Prime_DirectivePrime_Directive Member RarePosts: 1,550
    edited September 15
    Reached level 115, going to try and finish up Mordor this month and head into Northern realm since the Lady of The Golden Woods has invited me up for some tea and crumpets :D 
    There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
  • TorvalTorval Member LegendaryPosts: 19,769
    Reached level 115, going to try and finish up Mordor this month and head into Northern realm since the Lady of The Golden Woods has invited me up for some tea and crumpets :D 
    Is your character a guard or shield champ? Good screenshot. I like the look of the gear. What have been your biggest challenges in Mordor?
    Prime_Directive
    Fedora - A modern, free, and open source Operating System. https://getfedora.org/

    traveller, interloper, anomaly, iteration


  • Prime_DirectivePrime_Directive Member RarePosts: 1,550
    edited September 17
    Mordor is more about the lore then anything. They have added a quest for each region to gather "lore pages"" that dive into lore I never knew. It is very awesome to listen to how Shelob became Shelob or the the Nine were named. 

    Shelob, the spider that poked Frodo in Return of the King has a story much deeper then I could've imagined because she is older then the Dark Lord himself !



    The Forges of Udun, the first area after the Black Gate, did not see this in the movie



    The Allegiance system has done a great job of making player revisit areas and travel through regions long forgotten like Eregion.



    Mount Doom, It is bigger then it looks. I did shed a tear when I was climb up, it was one of the iconic moments I dreamed about when I first started playing the game,"Seeing Mt. Doom". This was second most Iconic moment in my gaming career, with Star Citizen holding first with the planet landing.



    Still more Mordor to do, and then it is heading North upwards towards Dale. 4 levels to hit cap.
    I'm a Guardian - Blue line.

    Po_ggTorval
    There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member RarePosts: 4,753
    edited September 17
    Amazing pics, you seem to have great fun in Mordor, enjoying the vista...
    ... but if it turns a bit too loomy and depressing, you can return to Eriador for a short detour, there arrre shipwrecked mariners on the Brandywine (not entirely unrelated to the incoming Talk like a Pirate day), and soon there will be the shared birthday of Bilbo and Frodo.
    A bit shame they've reworked the mission chain and you can't get the toys from Dale as reward anymore, you could bring them back to Dale now for the fun!  (you still can, actually, if you were at their birthday a few years ago, these are the musical crackers from Dale https://lotro-wiki.com/index.php/Item:Flute_Musical_Cracker ) *


    For the record, I don't think Shelob is older than Sauron... he is a Maia, he was already in the world when Ungoliant was still a youngster. Probably you've mixed their ages with the phrase "she was here before Sauron" which means exactly that, by the letter: Shelob was living there in the mountains already when Sauron was still up north, serving under Melkor.

    *edit: these two mini-events I was talking about
    Tale of the Shipwrecked Mariner 9/16/19@10am 9/20/19@3am


    Bilbo's Birthday 9/20/19@10am 9/26/19@3am

    MendelPrime_Directive
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,310
    Went to go to dale and then realized I'd "never been there before" so need to manually travel there. Which isn't really a problem but sort of wanted to zip there to check it out.

    I seem to have made a beeline to Gondor blasting by a lot of places.



  • Prime_DirectivePrime_Directive Member RarePosts: 1,550
    edited September 17
    Po_gg said:
    Amazing pics, you seem to have great fun in Mordor, enjoying the vista...
    ... but if it turns a bit too loomy and depressing, you can return to Eriador for a short detour, there arrre shipwrecked mariners on the Brandywine (not entirely unrelated to the incoming Talk like a Pirate day), and soon there will be the shared birthday of Bilbo and Frodo.
    A bit shame they've reworked the mission chain and you can't get the toys from Dale as reward anymore, you could bring them back to Dale now for the fun!  (you still can, actually, if you were at their birthday a few years ago)


    For the record, I don't think Shelob is older than Sauron... he is a Maia, he was already in the world when Ungoliant was still a youngster. Probably you mixed their age with the phrase "she was here before Sauron" which means exactly that, by the letter: Shelob was living there in the mountains already when Sauron was still up north, serving under Melkor.
    ooo I see :D
    There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
  • Prime_DirectivePrime_Directive Member RarePosts: 1,550
    Sovrath said:
    Went to go to dale and then realized I'd "never been there before" so need to manually travel there. Which isn't really a problem but sort of wanted to zip there to check it out.

    I seem to have made a beeline to Gondor blasting by a lot of places.
    Dale is a lvl 120 zone, just so you know.
    There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 27,310
    Sovrath said:
    Went to go to dale and then realized I'd "never been there before" so need to manually travel there. Which isn't really a problem but sort of wanted to zip there to check it out.

    I seem to have made a beeline to Gondor blasting by a lot of places.
    Dale is a lvl 120 zone, just so you know.
    ah thanks! maybe I'll just hang a bit as I'm "just" about to hit 103  :/



  • Prime_DirectivePrime_Directive Member RarePosts: 1,550
    edited September 17
    Sovrath said:
    Sovrath said:
    Went to go to dale and then realized I'd "never been there before" so need to manually travel there. Which isn't really a problem but sort of wanted to zip there to check it out.

    I seem to have made a beeline to Gondor blasting by a lot of places.
    Dale is a lvl 120 zone, just so you know.
    ah thanks! maybe I'll just hang a bit as I'm "just" about to hit 103  :/
    Leveling is pretty fast, I went from 110 -116 in a few days. At 103, you should be able to sneak through :D
    SovrathTorval
    There is a multiverse inside our minds which millions live.
Sign In or Register to comment.