Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

whats wrong with GVG MMOS these days?

badermalbadermal Member UncommonPosts: 250
we really miss those days where a MMO that has full loot pvp and player built city which can be sieged and people fight for control of land territories , now we barely have it any

All we got now is 
those weird Asian MMOS where a half naked midget girl on unicorn carries a 10 ton hammer (you know those Titles lol)

or Albion which call itself as sandbox all player made cities are safe and does not even allow open world territory battle , Has a graphics like The Looney Tunes Show but only allows instant 5V5 pvp

or those carebear game like Gloria victis no full loot no friendly fire just have few pre made castle which people just spam capturing it when bored , they may add free building update but no use since you allowed to build on very limited spot

or most of the other MMOS which just have pre generated Castle like ESO 

Darkfall is the only one that does the job even though graphics are bit dated but now both darkfall title is dead

so whats going on with these MMOS they have any goal to revive those genres like shadowbane eve mortal online etc or just let it die?
alkarionlogHatefull

Comments

• alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    players building city, open world wars, sieges, yes all that we miss, we don't miss the full loot

there is a reason most of these games was niche or died
    Phry
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    A good many players don't want to suffer the nonsense that other players want to inflict.

There is a difference between playing a good natured game where "it's just a game" and people don't take it seriously and playing a game where people revel in f'ing with others as often as they can in a very mean spirited way.

It's the players. The bad players that is.

It takes money and resources and dedication and time to make these things. And the people doing it would love to stay employed. So what is their incentive to make a game like Shadowbane when all their efforts will only yield a small amount of players and the game will close down.

if it launches!

At least Gloria Victis launched.
    AmatheHashbrickAlBQuirky
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    For some people, it's not enough to defeat another player. They need for that player to suffer as a result of the defeat. I never play games like that. 
    SovrathHashbrickAlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,014
    Amathe said:
    For some people, it's not enough to defeat another player. They need for that player to suffer as a result of the defeat. I never play games like that. 
    Exactly. I'm done with that nonsense. Life is too short to put up with others' crap and pay for the privilege to do it.
    AmatheHashbrickAlBQuirkyPhry
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo 
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    edited September 2019
    OP it's about time you lowered your standards.

You won't find anything close to what you want. Not a lot of people enjoy that style of gameplay as evident from the lack of options. So instead of making a thread every couple weeks on the same thing, you should check out those games people have suggested you time and time again and not be so picky.
    SovrathbadermalAmatheNepheth

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    The MMOs for assholes is where the assholes reside.  As you already found out the amount of pure assholes is quite small, so when one asshole leaves, it makes a smaller league of assholes.  Eventually the asshole MMO becomes asshole-less and it gets shutdown.  I can be an asshole from time to time and sometimes enjoy it but I'm not enough of an asshole to enjoy other assholes all the time.

That's why your game died. Fin.
    SpottyGekko
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • Noobmaster_95Noobmaster_95 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    badermal said:
    we really miss those days where a MMO that has full loot pvp and player built city which can be sieged and people fight for control of land territories , now we barely have it any

All we got now is 
    those weird Asian MMOS where a half naked midget girl on unicorn carries a 10 ton hammer (you know those Titles lol)

or Albion which call itself as sandbox all player made cities are safe and does not even allow open world territory battle , Has a graphics like The Looney Tunes Show but only allows instant 5V5 pvp

or those carebear game like Gloria victis no full loot no friendly fire just have few pre made castle which people just spam capturing it when bored , they may add free building update but no use since you allowed to build on very limited spot

Darkfall is the only one that does the job even though graphics are bit dated but now both darkfall title is dead

so whats going on with these MMOS they have any goal to revive those genres like shadowbane eve mortal online etc or just let it die?
    Everything is wrong.
  • badermalbadermal Member UncommonPosts: 250
    edited September 2019
    @Bloodaxes true lol  

@Noobmaster_95 says the kid with shooter game picture probably thinking that iam talking about fornite not sure if he even knows what is GVG lol
  • BloodaxesBloodaxes Member EpicPosts: 4,662
    Alternatively there's always survival games. You can build pretty much anywhere, have full loot pvp and GvG fights.

Sure the server sizes aren't as big as an mmo, but you're going to have fights nonetheless.
    SovrathAlBQuirkyHawkaya399

• HashbrickHashbrick Member RarePosts: 1,851
    badermal said:
    @Bloodaxes true lol  

@Noobmaster_95 says the kid with shooter game picture probably thinking that iam talking about fornite not sure if he even knows what is GVG lol
    Are shooters not manly enough?  I didn't get the memo.  Looks like a screenshot of Arma to me, probably the most manly shooter ever created.  Let's not start categorizing people and their interests by a username or avatar that's just petty, something a k... nvm
    Nepheth
    [[ DEAD ]] - Funny - I deleted my account on the site using the cancel account button.  Forum user is separate and still exists with no way of deleting it. Delete it admins. Do it, this ends now.
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    GVG is Guild v. Guild, no?
    AlBQuirky

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• vegetableoilvegetableoil Member RarePosts: 768
    badermal said:

All we got now is 

The customers are the carebear, Companies are afraid they run away when they have bad experience in the game which equates to loss of revenue. companies simply provide to the carebears what they want, nothing more nothing less. Hardcore pvp moved to arena based game mostly, so you won't see them lingering around mmorpgs.
    badermal
  • MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    RUST is a experiment on why FFA Full Loot multiplayer games dont work. 
    Hatefull

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• CryomatrixCryomatrix Member EpicPosts: 3,223
    Did anyone else think it was a @delete5230 thread? 

Hatefull
    Catch me streaming at twitch.tv/cryomatrix
    You can see my sci-fi/WW2 book recommendations. 
  • UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Shadowbane still going strong. 

https://shadowbaneemulator.com/
    Phry
  • AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    MMORPGs aren't designed with guilds mattering anymore is the problem. If there's something guild specific, chances are it will eventually be made into a solo queue or flat out irrelevant in a couple of months. The solo players know this and have too many options at their disposal to boot, so they can just stop playing until that happens and come back or just not come back at all.
    Hawkaya399
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    Amathe said:
    I was going to ask for clarification, too ;)
    Amathe

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• Noobmaster_95Noobmaster_95 Member UncommonPosts: 93
    badermal said:

I don't even know what fortnite is. If you don't know what's the game is this on my avatar there's nothing to talk about anymore lol
  • KnightFalzKnightFalz Member EpicPosts: 4,172
    badermal said:

All we got now is 

How many does the "we" you mention represent? I suspect that number is far lower than the "we" that don't miss those days in the slightest.

What you'll get are the games the population of your "we" can make sufficiently profitable. What the current roster of games shows is... not much.
    AlBQuirky
  • AlBQuirkyAlBQuirky Member EpicPosts: 7,432
    badermal said:

All we got now is 

I'm sorry the games you're seeking are not being made. I know the feeling all too well. I don't have any suggestions to ease your frustration, but do have one question: What is wrong with being a "carebear?" You make it sound like the source of all evil in the world.

I'm proud to be a carebear as I don't need pixels to help me feel all "manly"  by whacking other pixels. I do however, miss the PvE challenges that older MMORPGs used to present to my character.

- Al

Personally the only modern MMORPG trend that annoys me is the idea that MMOs need to be designed in a way to attract people who don't actually like MMOs. Which to me makes about as much sense as someone trying to figure out a way to get vegetarians to eat at their steakhouse.
    - FARGIN_WAR

• MMOExposedMMOExposed Member RarePosts: 7,387
    AlBQuirky said:
    Amathe said:
    I was going to ask for clarification, too ;)
    GvG is another way of saying FFA
    AlBQuirky

Philosophy of MMO Game Design

• Hawkaya399Hawkaya399 Member RarePosts: 620
    edited October 2019
    badermal said:

All we got now is 

I'm roughly of the same opinion. For years and years and years I exclusively played in PvP open world FFA because I couldn't find the same level of danger in other MMORPGs. They just ended up being too relaxed, too boring.

My suggestion is you have to accept this is a strongly niche community, so you'll have to go with the limited options. You won't get AAA. Therer'e LOTS of small examples on Steam and older ones too.

Some older ones:
    1) Darkfall: Rise of Agon (with some restrictions)
    2) Wurm Online (chaos server or Epic servers)
    3) Mortal Online
    4) Xsyon
    5) Tree of Life
    6) Haven and Hearth
    7) Shadowbane (emulated)

A mix of old/new and fps or general-MMO:
    1) Rust
    2) 7 Days to Die (Rust-like)
    3) Hurtworld (Rust-like)
    4) Wild Terra Online (like Ultima Online but with seiging)
    5) Arcfall
    6) Life is Feudal
    7) Conan Exiles (maybe)
    8) Dayz (Rust-like)
    9) Scum (Rust-like)
    10) Miscreated (Rust-like)

Some of these qualify because they have PvP-servers. A couple are are early access. The Rust-like games are not MMORPGs, but they do contain base-building and generally have base defense, group-cooperation, ffa pvp in open world, partial-loot drops and persistence over weeks or months.

This is not an exhaustive list, and there're some MUDs too, like Avalon.

Bottom line, if you wnat MMORPG with AAA quality like ESO, forget it.

Post edited by Hawkaya399 on
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    edited October 2019
    The biggest problem with GvG is not having a limit on the size of the guild or alliances so we end up with huge zergs taking over the entire world because no one likes to lose.

Rise of Agon is still alive and getting updates.
  • PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    PVP MMO's are pretty much one trick ponies, without significant PVE and Social features they tend to fade into obscurity. If Eve Online had relied solely on Corp v Corp or Alliance v Alliance etc. it would have shuttered a decade ago at least. :/
    Dibdabs
  • WizardryWizardry Member LegendaryPosts: 19,332
    edited October 2019
    I was never intrigued by the need to attack some base or town.
    I have always preferred PVE only in a rpg setting.

The only time i want any pvp is in an arena shooter where everything is perfectly balanced,aside from latency.NO gear,NO p2w,NO perks,benefits of any kind.You simply join a serve deathmatch and play.

When i am gaming,i do NOT want anyone else trying to distract me from what i am doing.Imagine i am pvp'ing and someone keeps sitting beside me crafting "pve"grrr.Well it is the same if i am crafting and someone is annoying me with pvp.It is no different than real life,your watching a football game,you want people bothering you while you watch,of course not.

So why if i am say building a town/village/fort would i want you attacking me?

Never forget 3 mile Island and never trust a government official or company spokesman.