Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

When or why WOW classic is supposed to be so great?

eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
This is not a troll post. I never played WOW before so I decided to try it with the classic version on a PvP server.

I am only level 7 right now, and I don't see where the fun is:

Grinding mobs, the current core of the game, is just boring. So, since WOW is full of praises, I guess I miss something, and there is something else to expect at higher levels.

What is it? What makes WOW fun according to you?
dekkion1Mikeha

Best Answer

• IshkalIshkal UncommonPosts: 304
    Answer ✓
    PvP hasn't started yet wow had some pretty good pvp before the carebears came along. Also WoWs fun is at end game, the reason why people like the leveling is because nothing is just handed to you and u actually have to develop skill to survive simple pulls. The skill level starts out low and around 40 to 60 you better learn yer class or you'll spend hours running to your body. 
    jimmywolfPhry

Answers

• KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    First you have ask yourself, what sort of fun are you looking for.

AxxarHatefullPhryRhygarthSequriemSovrath

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    edited September 2019
    His mind isn't blown at level 7, so it must be garbage. I'm more curious what mmorpg blew your mind below level 15.

As Kyleran said, all this is going to be subjective. There's literally a generational divide with this game and others that have made it this long. To put it simply, do you find all the things your parents/guardians do/did fun? More than likely not.

As for the 'appeal' of classic that those that play find, is really just player responsibility to sum it up. Classic tries to create an environment where how you act towards others and the bonds you form, matter. You can't just ninja loot stuff from a group and think its okay because you wont see them again. You're on that server and the way you act stays with that character, so chances are if you act like a did, other people will know and know not to invite you.

Its obviously not all rainbows and gumdrops though since you could easily invest a lot of time into stuff only for it to not matter to certain people. Chances are, if you're trying to be the 'solo hero' in a world like Classic, you're going to be constantly passed up for positions in groups for dungeons/raids, simply because you haven't established yourself. A lot of people dont realize about old games that it was way more to it than just the gameplay. It was more about how you managed your social profiles and sold yourself to others to prove you were different than the hundreds that played your class.
    Nephetheoloe
  • ChildoftheShadowsChildoftheShadows Member EpicPosts: 2,193
    Albatroes said:
    His mind isn't blown at level 7, so it must be garbage. I'm more curious what mmorpg blew your mind below level 15.

As Kyleran said, all this is going to be subjective. There's literally a generational divide with this game and others that have made it this long. To put it simply, do you find all the things your parents/guardians do/did fun? More than likely not.

As for the 'appeal' of classic that those that play find, is really just player responsibility to sum it up. Classic tries to create an environment where how you act towards others and the bonds you form, matter. You can't just ninja loot stuff from a group and think its okay because you wont see them again. You're on that server and the way you act stays with that character, so chances are if you act like a did, other people will know and know not to invite you.

Its obviously not all rainbows and gumdrops though since you could easily invest a lot of time into stuff only for it to not matter to certain people. Chances are, if you're trying to be the 'solo hero' in a world like Classic, you're going to be constantly passed up for positions in groups for dungeons/raids, simply because you haven't established yourself. A lot of people dont realize about old games that it was way more to it than just the gameplay. It was more about how you managed your social profiles and sold yourself to others to prove you were different than the hundreds that played your class.
    After playing EQ it took me all of 10 minutes to realize I was going to hate WoW. I played for 6 months with friends and it never got better. Sometimes you just know. 
    Hatefull
  • alyndalealyndale Member UncommonPosts: 936
    This  also an  agreement with previous posts. If it's not for you, move on. However, many it is the nostalgia of playing once again from the beginning of the "legend". It's not glamorous at first. However, I would hope you have noticed the overall excitement of the community. 

Classic is as the term classic suggests. It has all number of blemishes and isn't all that pretty compared to many games of 2019. That is not why people are playing. I do not have the space here to number all of the reasons, Eoloe. I'm not trolling you and I understand why you question it's popularity when compared to modern games of today. Indeed commercial WoW as it is now has almost nothing in common with the WoW of November/December, 2004. 

Stay a while longer and join a guild Eoloe. Ask questions about the game. Join a Classic Discord and hear for yourself what nostalgia can do for so many, many gamers. I wish you well and may you find what it is you most enjoy!

All I want is the truth
    Just gimme some truth
    John Lennon

• LackingMMOLackingMMO Member RarePosts: 664
    Depends on you. I played classic WoW.. when it was actually originally released and thought it sucked. I was more of an EQ guy, its not that the game itself sucked, it just wasn't my bag. On that note I only know of maybe one game that kept me from start to finish and beyond. Most games come to shine mid to late game. Keep at it, patience will pay off.
    ChildoftheShadowsKyleran
  • eoloeeoloe Member RarePosts: 864
    Kyleran said:

Well sending me back my own question rather defeats the purpose. Why not simply answering?
    jimmywolfHatefull
    edited September 2019
    Albatroes said:

[mod edit]

BTW there are many MMORPGs that are very engaging from the very start for various reasons. In GW1 the early destruction of Ascalon is very dramatic moment.  ESO is not bad at the beginning. In BDO, the first time you see the world, the characters, and the animations, it is just amazing but actually boring after.

But let's be clear, I do not care if the fun is early or later, my question was just asking about what to expect since it starts slowly, and why not.

Post edited by Vaross on
    jimmywolfkertin
    Ishkal said:
    PvP hasn't started yet wow had some pretty good pvp before the carebears came along. Also WoWs fun is at end game, the reason why people like the leveling is because nothing is just handed to you and u actually have to develop skill to survive simple pulls. The skill level starts out low and around 40 to 60 you better learn yer class or you'll spend hours running to your body. 

That was the kind of answer I was looking for. Thank you.

BTW when you say PVP has not started, do you mean world PVP or the battlegrounds?
  • SplattrSplattr Member RarePosts: 543
    Albatroes said:

I am not sure what post you read, but I didn't get any of that out of the OP.

In all honesty what you have seen at lvl 7 is pretty indicative of the leveling process if you play any  flavor of WoW as a single player experience. WoW came from a time where MMOs were as much about the community as they were the gameplay. As alyndale suggested join a guild and ask questions. Doing so will help pass the time until you are running dungeons and then later doing end game content. It's those bonds with other players that have really kept people playing WoW, or any MMO for that matter, for years.
    JeffSpicoli
  • jimmywolfjimmywolf Member UncommonPosts: 292
    i said this before in other forums sites when presented with a similar topic,  BOTW is supposedly a GOTY that has endless praise as the best zelda pushing the games too the next level with endless fun. 

i lost interest in first hour and enjoy the older 2d zedla games much more but i promise their be 10000+ people  who are very happy an keep playing BOTW  and that is wow for others a game that they wanted an  find endless joy with it, were others try it and go so?

• JeffSpicoliJeffSpicoli Member EpicPosts: 2,849
    WOW hooked me right away in 04 and it did the same with the relaunch in 2019. OP if the game has failed to grab you within the first 10 levels i won't fill you with false promises that you will enjoy it later. It just may not be your game.
    HatefullPhrykertinKyleran
    • Aloha Mr Hand ! 

• Panther2103Panther2103 Member EpicPosts: 5,768
    eoloe said:
    Ishkal said:

BTW when you say PVP has not started, do you mean world PVP or the battlegrounds?
    World PvP was pretty fun in Vanilla, you could get into some crazy battles over hot leveling areas like Hillsbrad Foodthills or Stranglethorn Vale. Battlegrounds were fun as well, but you have to be into the team based PvP and be willing to have a very long stalemate in Alterac Valley or Warsong, I'm not sure if they changed it in the modern iteration of classic but back in the day there was no timer that could end the match, so AV could take days. 

Another poster said it's indicative of the leveling throughout vanilla, but I have to say it really isn't. Once you get to 15+ you start to get a better idea of how you want to play your class, you can do dungeons to level and it gets a lot more open in terms of what you can do. Sure most quests are just grind this mob, collect this item, but you can always hop into a dungeon when it gets monotonous. Also you start having more skills to work with, which really helps combat pacing which is slow as molasses until later on. 
  • HatefullHatefull Member EpicPosts: 2,502
    edited September 2019
    eoloe said:
    Albatroes said:

Wooow so much useless contempt! I hope everything is well in your life.

I guess in WOW your pick is troll, as in life! o:)

***well that one was too easy***

BTW there are many MMORPGs that are very engaging from the very start for various reasons. In GW1 the early destruction of Ascalon is very dramatic moment.  ESO is not bad at the beginning. In BDO, the first time you see the world, the characters, and the animations, it is just amazing but actually boring after.

But let's be clear, I do not care if the fun is early or later, my question was just asking about what to expect since it starts slowly, and why not.

Why does something have to be amiss in his life? You asked a question, you got an answer, trolling will not help you get a better answer.

Your question is far too subjective, I guess it needs to be explained since you can't seem to grasp that. What others find fun, you may not, some like PvP, some like PvE, and some like both. You gave exactly zero background beyond lvl 7, did not indicate which type of gamer you are and made a slander post calling out something around 14 million opinions (in WoW's heyday) that are counter to yours, yet you get offended when you get called out.

The answer is who knows? I will say, from lvl 0 to around lvl 40 nothing is going to change but your skills. You will level and gain skills, but it is still going to go kill this for XYZ, or go get this for ABC. So if it's not for you now, chances are it won't be later. Unless you are just waiting for PvP, which in Vanilla was very canned and stale imo.

If you want a new idea, go read an old book.

In order to be insulted, I must first value your opinion.

• PhryPhry Member LegendaryPosts: 11,004
    WoW is all about the journey, i think anyone expecting it to suddenly become fun at end game, is likely to be disappointed, if you weren't having fun before hand, then you won't suddenly start having fun once you reach 60.  :/
    HatefullRhygarth
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    edited September 2019
    WoW is kind of like the movie Citizen Kane. It's legendary and ground breaking. But to see why that is true, you would have to compare it to what the industry looked like before.

For starters:

The art. It's impressionistic. And easy on your computer. Other games tried for the most realistic depictions they could come up with.

Quests. They are everywhere. And a major part of advancement.

More readily available gear upgrades.

Instances. 

Lots of fast travel, especially by Griffons and such.

Much easier to advance.

Much easier to take on multiple enemies.

The list could go on and on.

A lot of people may say that these are not really improvements, but actually a worsening of the genre. But there's no denying it changed the landscape.

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• UtinniUtinni Member EpicPosts: 2,209
    Not sure I've ever played an MMO to level 7 and asked "where's the fun?"

Most MMO are awful until much later.

KyleranAmathe
  • alkarionlogalkarionlog Member EpicPosts: 3,584
    wow was never "fun " to begin with, the main diference is wow was the first MMORPG to become mainstream, bringing people who played blizzard games, in special Warcraft 3, since w3 had teh generals and lvls on then it passed in a way then you now could join the war and lvl.

with mean most people see wow with nostalgy since it was tehy first MMO, but then you cehck the way wow was with what is now, that over simplificantion with is today pale in the way it was during that time, iwth you can also see in long standing MMO, they tend to simplify they system so new peeps who join have a easier time, but in general they make the old people quit, because the game is not what it was.

so give it a month or 2 then numbers will fall, when nostalgy leave they system they will just migrate to better lands again
    FOR HONOR, FOR FREEDOM.... and for some money.
  • KyleranKyleran Member LegendaryPosts: 43,507
    edited September 2019
    eoloe said:
    Ishkal said:

World PvP was pretty fun in Vanilla, you could get into some crazy battles over hot leveling areas like Hillsbrad Foodthills or Stranglethorn Vale. Battlegrounds were fun as well, but you have to be into the team based PvP and be willing to have a very long stalemate in Alterac Valley or Warsong, I'm not sure if they changed it in the modern iteration of classic but back in the day there was no timer that could end the match, so AV could take days. 

Another poster said it's indicative of the leveling throughout vanilla, but I have to say it really isn't. Once you get to 15+ you start to get a better idea of how you want to play your class, you can do dungeons to level and it gets a lot more open in terms of what you can do. Sure most quests are just grind this mob, collect this item, but you can always hop into a dungeon when it gets monotonous. Also you start having more skills to work with, which really helps combat pacing which is slow as molasses until later on. 
    Thanks for jogging my memory, I do recall back in Vanilla most classes didn't really come into their own until level 20 or so and even level 30 as I recall on my Druid.   (Is that when they got max travel speed?)

So to the OP yes it does get more interesting,  assuming you enjoy quest based progression and a decent storyline.  (Yes, you should read all of the quest text.)

Try to resist looking everything up before you set off, I always tried to find or figure things out on my own first, and only then checking the internet if absolutely stuck.

Unless your goal is end game raiding or PVP, there is no hurry to get to 60, take your time, make some friends and have [fun.]

[Being a progression junkie, I have no idea what "fun" is, but it's something I've often seen others say]

;)

"True friends stab you in the front." | Oscar Wilde 

"I need to finish" - Christian Wolff: The Accountant

Just trying to live long enough to play a new, released MMORPG, playing New Worlds atm

Fools find no pleasure in understanding but delight in airing their own opinions. Pvbs 18:2, NIV

Don't just play games, inhabit virtual worlds™

"This is the most intelligent, well qualified and articulate response to a post I have ever seen on these forums. It's a shame most people here won't have the attention span to read past the second line." - Anon

• SovrathSovrath Member LegendaryPosts: 32,011
    edited September 2019
    eoloe said:
    Kyleran said:

Well sending me back my own question rather defeats the purpose. Why not simply answering?
    Because it's easier to speak to what you are or aren't looking for.

I can say that a lot of people loved it because, at the time, for an "old school mmorpg" it was more streamlined.

There were quests instead of just grinding (like Lineage 2) getting around was easier, quests actually could be done in your area and you didn't have to run all over the map, it ran well and looked good for its art design.

This is a bit more like an old school mmorpg in that beign with others or relying on others can help so there is the social part. In the end that's what these games really are about, "the social part" and having to get help if you pull too many mobs or getting a group together to take down a small boss is what it's about.

So, getting back to your comment, it's easier to address the things you like/don't like over, say, "it's the lore" which might not really mean much to you or "it's the questing" which as I mentioned, was a big thing back then but maybe it doesn't resonate with you because your used to Star Wars the Old Republic or Elder scrolls Online and the questing isn't "all that" in World of Warcraft in comparison.
    Like Skyrim? Need more content? Try my Skyrim mod "Godfred's Tomb." 

Godfred's Tomb Trailer: https://youtu.be/-nsXGddj_4w

Original Skyrim: https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrim/mods/109547

Try the "Special Edition." 'Cause it's "Special." https://www.nexusmods.com/skyrimspecialedition/mods/64878/?tab=description

Serph toze kindly has started a walk-through. https://youtu.be/UIelCK-lldo