Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Champions Online Is A Decade Old On Sept 1st, Cryptic Planning A Months Worth of Events - MMORPG.com

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageChampions Online Is A Decade Old On Sept 1st, Cryptic Planning A Months Worth of Events - MMORPG.com

Champions Online turns 10 on September 1, and Cryptic is planning a month's worth of events.

Read the full story here

Comments

• AlbatroesAlbatroes Member LegendaryPosts: 7,671
    Gotta hand it to them, they're still going
    ScotHarikenwingood
  • Jaguaratron1Jaguaratron1 Member UncommonPosts: 298
    edited August 2019
    Peaks at 200-300 players daily, theres 10x that number on City of Heroes fan run server at offpeak, up to 30x+ at peak times. Says a lot about the quality of the games and how wide of the marketplace Champions was with its parody of itself dad humour approach.
    Blaze_Rocker
  • HarikenHariken Member EpicPosts: 2,680
    Congrats CO Hope your around for a long time. And nice to see you getting new content.
    Po_gg
  • Po_ggPo_gg Member EpicPosts: 5,749
    Peaks at 200-300 players daily, theres 10x that number on City of Heroes fan run server at offpeak, up to 30x+ at peak times. Says a lot about the quality of the games and how wide of the marketplace Champions was with its parody of itself dad humour approach.
    Sounds a bit too low, that many are online at a single Sapphire concert, which is every hour... I think daily count is more in the thousands.

The second, to each their own, I guess. Personally I like "its parody of itself dad humour approach", it was fun in the tabletop game as well. To me, and imo. Tastes might differ.
    Hariken
  • ScotScot Member LegendaryPosts: 22,986
    If a super villainess does not pop out of that cake, say "Taaa-daaaaaa!" and start one mega supers battle then Cryptic need to raise their game. :)
    sschruppPo_ggPhry
    Scot said:
    If a super villainess does not pop out of that cake, say "Taaa-daaaaaa!" and start one mega supers battle then Cryptic need to raise their game. :)
    No empty spaces or surprise mechanics ( :) ) inside, that is one solid cake and it ain't a lie (really, there's a perk with the punchline).
    Solid enough to support the random partygoer NPCs whilst they dance on it... and supports your weight as well if you climb on top to blow the candles - which is for an another perk.

But

Don't wait for Cryptic, nothing holds you back from taking things in your own hands... :)
    With Onslaught you can pick a super villainess to play, from the wide array of... just two actually:
    a blonde in black costume (like in this pic from an old mmorpg.com interview article https://images.mmorpg.com/features/10007/images/CO_SupervillainOnslaught_5_t.jpg ) and a crazy purple lady.
    Then you can stomp on the cake to raise attention, and after the supers gathered around the carnage can begin...
    Scot
  • Foxbat40Foxbat40 Member UncommonPosts: 10
    And ,,, no one cares. What a failure of a game. Horrible skill system horrendous loot system, some of the worst player and enemy animations. No unified end game content. Player-base split up by content packs. Non interesting story and world.
    Hariken
    Noone cares or not (besides the other 39 Foxbats maybe :) ) the second week just started today

With the new anniversary mission for this week they unfortunately made the same mistake LotRO did at their own 10th birthday's "remember the past" mission chain... namely it's honed for the veteran players.
    "Complete ten missions" which lists mainly the most popular farming activities for endgame players.

There's also the leveling rush programme switched on (create a new hero and level it to the cap during the week, for rewards), and there's also a lifetime sub sale this week.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Po_gg said:
    Noone cares or not (besides the other 39 Foxbats maybe :) ) the second week just started today

With the new anniversary mission for this week they unfortunately made the same mistake LotRO did at their own 10th birthday's "remember the past" mission chain... namely it's honed for the veteran players.
    "Complete ten missions" which lists mainly the most popular farming activities for endgame players.

There's also the leveling rush programme switched on (create a new hero and level it to the cap during the week, for rewards), and there's also a lifetime sub sale this week.
    Holy F*, I decided to check out the lifetime sub sale since I was curious and its 199,00 instead of 299,00 now. That is insane.... And I like Champions Online.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

lahnmir said:
    Holy F*, I decided to check out the lifetime sub sale since I was curious and its 199,00 instead of 299,00 now. That is insane.... And I like Champions Online.
    $200 is pretty much a standard in lifetime subs, though I agree the original 300 is an insane price tag. Unfortunately after the sub was removed, this is the only real option left for FreeForm. (you can buy slots but on the long run you will pay more and still be on f2p...)

I missed to mention above, for the new character leveling rush there's a free pack with an extra character slot and a set of leveling gear (besides other stuff like costumes and costume slot), you can grab it even if you don't want to level up a new alt now. The gear is account bound, so you can pass it around your alts later.