Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

New Mobile MMORPG Set In Warhammer's Old World Announced - MMORPG.com News

SystemSystem Member UncommonPosts: 12,599
edited August 2019 in News & Features Discussion

imageNew Mobile MMORPG Set In Warhammer's Old World Announced - MMORPG.com News

Games Workshop and Virtual Realms announced a new MMORPG set in the Warhammer Universe. Warhammer: Odyssey brings players to Warhammer's Old World via their iOS and Android device.

Read the full story here

Comments

• nomadienomadie Member UncommonPosts: 172
    Well, that is depressing.
    [Deleted User]LililuneViper482OzmodanGorweXarko
  • DarkfyraDarkfyra Member UncommonPosts: 21
    edited August 2019
    Mobile equal autoplay sadly...and pay2win.....but there is a good new....it got confirmed to not have auto....it could still be pay2win unfortunately.
    Post edited by Darkfyra on
    Gorwe
  • achmedeachmede Member UncommonPosts: 215

Darkfyra said:

Mobile equal autoplay sadly

You forgot to mention pay2win.
    I doubt there is any mobile " mmorpg " in the market without any pay2win methods or paywalls.
    It's sad, but some people just love wasting money on autoplay...
    Ozmodan
  • DragnelusDragnelus Member EpicPosts: 3,503
    I was smiling, until I saw "mobile" (half sleeping)

• PriddypwnyPriddypwny Member UncommonPosts: 32
    Don’t you guys have phones?
    AmatheSwaneaOzmodanGorweXarkoAzaron_Nightblade
  • AmatheAmathe Member LegendaryPosts: 7,630
    I wish these boards had this feature:

/ignore mobile

But it's my own fault. The heading clearly said mobile and I clicked on it anyway. Pardon me while I go beat my head against something like Dobby the House Elf.
    LokeroTacticalZombeh

EQ1, EQ2, SWG, SWTOR, GW, GW2 CoH, CoV, FFXI, WoW, CO, War,TSW and a slew of free trials and beta tests

• Tiamat64Tiamat64 Member RarePosts: 1,545
    edited August 2019
    Can't tell if joking or serious.

In case it's serious, the main issue I have with mobile MMORPGs isn't the phones.  Or even the screen size or lack of controller. I play my mobile games on emulator anyways so I get them full-screen with controller support

One of the main issues is that the vast majority of them are so simple that auto-play works equal (or equal enough to) a human being playing it, which makes for really lame gameplay (a lot of people complain about auto-play, but for me, the true core of the problem is that if an MMORPG is so simple that auto-play even works in the first place, the gameplay is... well, so simple that even a lame auto-play algorithm can pull it off)

Another main issue is that the vast majority of them are pay-to-win, to the point where even games like Archeage and BDO would seem fair.

With such simple gameplay and auto-play doing everything, your player skill and to some extent dedication doesn't really matter. Meanwhile, the winner is based around who paid more.  ….and that's on purpose too (which is why most of them are just cash grabs. No need to program in or worry about complex gameplay when all that matters is the players spending money against each other)

It's just lame.

I think I've seen like, one or two open-world mobile MMOs out of hundreds that didn't have auto-play and extreme pay-to-win and even that I'm not sure about because I didn't stick around to play them long because they just weren't very interesting to me (Toran Online and Alchemia Story.... I guess. Pretty sure the latter had weapon gacha though)
    bcbullyBeezerbeez
  • TacticalZombehTacticalZombeh Member UncommonPosts: 430
    Games Workshop... just tossin that ole license whichever way the wind blows as usual.
    Ozmodan
  • TheocritusTheocritus Member LegendaryPosts: 9,754
    Not even a temptation. i might have looked at it on PC but no interest in mobile.
    OzmodanXarko
  • k61977k61977 Member EpicPosts: 1,503
    Tiamat64 said:
    Can't tell if joking or serious.

In case it's serious, the main issue I have with mobile MMORPGs isn't the phones.  Or even the screen size or lack of controller. I play my mobile games on emulator anyways so I get them full-screen with controller support

One of the main issues is that the vast majority of them are so simple that auto-play works equal (or equal enough to) a human being playing it, which makes for really lame gameplay (a lot of people complain about auto-play, but for me, the true core of the problem is that if an MMORPG is so simple that auto-play even works in the first place, the gameplay is... well, so simple that even a lame auto-play algorithm can pull it off)

Another main issue is that the vast majority of them are pay-to-win, to the point where even games like Archeage and BDO would seem fair.

With such simple gameplay and auto-play doing everything, your player skill and to some extent dedication doesn't really matter. Meanwhile, the winner is based around who paid more.  ….and that's on purpose too (which is why most of them are just cash grabs. No need to program in or worry about complex gameplay when all that matters is the players spending money against each other)

It's just lame.

I think I've seen like, one or two open-world mobile MMOs out of hundreds that didn't have auto-play and extreme pay-to-win and even that I'm not sure about because I didn't stick around to play them long because they just weren't very interesting to me (Toran Online and Alchemia Story.... I guess. Pretty sure the latter had weapon gacha though)
    Pretty sure he was making fun of Blizzard for saying that to the Diablo fans at Blizzcon last year.
  • TiamatRoarTiamatRoar Member RarePosts: 1,685
    k61977 said:

Pretty sure he was making fun of Blizzard for saying that to the Diablo fans at Blizzcon last year.
    IIRC, "Don't you have phones?" was a oft-used serious unironic response by some against those who complained about mobile for a long time, even before Blizzard's Diablo mobile.  Well, I recall seeing people use that "counter-argument" seriously before and after but admittingly by now the times kinda blend into each other.

It's been used so often that it's become a meme of sorts by now but some still use it seriously which is why I can't be sure if the poster is joking or not.
  • DarkfyraDarkfyra Member UncommonPosts: 21
    It got confirmed to not have autoplay,this should be added to the article to let people know.
  • Viper482Viper482 Member LegendaryPosts: 4,065
    Mobile.....who plays this crap?
    OzmodanXarko
    Make MMORPG's Great Again!
  • LokeroLokero Member RarePosts: 1,514
    Viper482 said:
    Well, it's Games Workshop.  When it comes to video games, they don't seem to care too much who or what they fling the IP around to.  I don't think they care if anyone plays it.
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    Games Workshop, the sluttiest in licensing, anyone can go for a ride with these guys.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    GorweOzmodan
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• XarkoXarko Member EpicPosts: 1,180
    There is 0 probability this will be any good. I did the math.
    SovrathIselinOzmodan
  • PhaserlightPhaserlight Member EpicPosts: 3,072
    Viper482 said:
    I play a cross-platform MMORPG; it's actually a pretty great concept.  You can log in from anywhere and play with everyone, whether it's on a PC, mobile phone, or VR rig.

It looks like this is mobile-only, though.

"The simple is the seal of the true and beauty is the splendor of truth" -Subrahmanyan Chandrasekhar
    Authored 139 missions in Vendetta Online and 6 tracks in Distance

• CynehildCynehild Member UncommonPosts: 102
    Warhammer is really amping their mobile presence. They've got a card game, a strategy game, and now an MMO. This actually looks quite decent.
    XarkoOzmodan
  • lahnmirlahnmir Member LegendaryPosts: 5,041
    edited August 2019
    Gorwe said:

lahnmir said:

Games Workshop, the sluttiest in licensing, anyone can go for a ride with these guys.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir

They're slutty, yet they have strict internal standards? How does that even work?

Regardless, it seems that Malleus survived after all and GW seems to be changing its perception of "FLIP THE TABLE"(deleting WHFB). Which is so very reassuring even if we are getting the likes of Odyssey, of Chaosbane.

And look at this way. Odyssey has 50% of Warhammer Online's Order classes.

Edit: The description of classes over on their site sound oddly familiar.
    Funny story, I knew a guy in RL who went to work for Games Workshop to design Warhammer miniatures. He was bloody brilliant and he was sure he had found his dream job. He quit within two years, the pressure was real and their internal standards were indeed very, very strict.

And then there is stuff like Chaosbane..... But, to be honest, there are quite a few decent WH40K titles out there, irs just the traditional WH that needs to step up their game.

/Cheers,
    Lahnmir
    Gorwe
    'the only way he could nail it any better is if he used a cross.'

Kyleran on yours sincerely 

'But there are many. You can play them entirely solo, and even offline. Also, you are wrong by default.'

Ikcin in response to yours sincerely debating whether or not single-player offline MMOs exist...

'This does not apply just to ED but SC or any other game. What they will get is Rebirth/X4, likely prettier but equally underwhelming and pointless. 

It is incredibly difficult to design some meaningfull leg content that would fit a space ship game - simply because it is not a leg game.

It is just huge resource waste....'

Gdemami absolutely not being an armchair developer

• bcbullybcbully Member EpicPosts: 11,838
    2 main problems with mobile mmorpgs. Lack of content, and “extreme” p2w. Durango is the best I’ve played. I haven’t made to the upper levels, but I have not seen the p2w yet.
    "We see fundamentals and we ape in"
  • fatpandafatpanda Member UncommonPosts: 116
    Just update and rerelease WAR: Warhammer Age of Reckoning.
    Then again there is a private server for it...